Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 05:18 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 607 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Great thread - Wish there was an active one for 991.1s as well - and another one for best lap times like the GT4 forum so that we could benchmark our slowness
Consider yourself grandfathered in! Other than power mods, everything else for the 991.1 is applicable and I will be sure to identify anything specific to either generation car. It's about to shift to a much more track oriented discussion anyway. The brakes and suspension are the same; it's a shame the rear wing on the 991.1 didn't make it to the 991.2.

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Only a point 1 owner would think a GT4 is fast. No highly modded Point 2 cares how slow a GT4 is.
Whoa whoa whoa...those are my people we are talking about. Let's stay on topic!
Old 09-23-2018, 06:40 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
I hear ya. I service 2 r8's and other high end cars and Reeves and despite that they wanted to sell me a GTS at msrp lol..... I ended up flying to Philidelphia and getting a great deal and driving it back. Sad that local dealers around here are horrible... At least I didnt give Champion a shot...
Good for you...don’t take Reeves Porsche crap....Reeves sales department is terrible...but seri e department is down right aweful....when I took my GTS in 1st time for the caliper issue, both Jeff and and Matt in service gave me a rash of hell....they couldn’t find the problem, oh you track the car..there is no warranty in your car...we’re not going to fix your car...blah blah..I had to tell them how to replicate it leak on the caliper. Reeves Porsche told me they will replace the caliper this time but don’t bring my car back for warranty work again. Bert Smith is just as bad...bought my 2012 GTS there...they screwed up delivery and scratched the drivers door and misinstalled lower control arms and wouldn’t fix the issues. Told them I’d never be back...they missed out on 5 various auto sales from me since 2012.

For my 2017 GTS Reeves told me they sell GTS to good customers at msrp but I’d have to,pay 5k over to get one. They also,told me all,there GT cars are reserved for there heavy hitters that buy 5 or more cars a year from them. The sale guy who is Mrs Reeves son told me that the other Porsche’s, Audi and BMW’s I’ve bought there don’t count. I walked...called Champion and went and picked up my current GTS with a great deal too.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:49 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

Good for you...don’t take Reeves Porsche crap....Reeves sales department is terrible...but seri e department is down right aweful....when I took my GTS in 1st time for the caliper issue, both Jeff and and Matt in service gave me a rash of hell....they couldn’t find the problem, oh you track the car..there is no warranty in your car...we’re not going to fix your car...blah blah..I had to tell them how to replicate it leak on the caliper. Reeves Porsche told me they will replace the caliper this time but don’t bring my car back for warranty work again. Bert Smith is just as bad...bought my 2012 GTS there...they screwed up delivery and scratched the drivers door and misinstalled lower control arms and wouldn’t fix the issues. Told them I’d never be back...they missed out on 5 various auto sales from me since 2012.

For my 2017 GTS Reeves told me they sell GTS to good customers at msrp but I’d have to,pay 5k over to get one. They also,told me all,there GT cars are reserved for there heavy hitters that buy 5 or more cars a year from them. The sale guy who is Mrs Reeves son told me that the other Porsche’s, Audi and BMW’s I’ve bought there don’t count. I walked...called Champion and went and picked up my current GTS with a great deal too.
I think if you have a car that sees track duty, for any kind of real work (ie something that's beyond reading OBD2 codes and just replacing stuff randomly until the problem is fixed) you're better off not going to any dealer. I really don't think the service departments know what they're doing.

I had an issue w my suspension geometry where with aftermarket control arms, the left front axle wasn't staying in place, unsealing the diff box. Thinking the retainer ring on the axle might be broken, I took the car to an unnamed NJ dealer, car still under CPO. What they told me was basically numerous suspension parts, wheel carriers, steering knuckles, you name it a bunch of random parts were cracked/broken due to the control arms, and they had to replace literally the whole front end, I think it was a 8-9k parts plus labor bill.

Have I not gotten under the car to see the front end myself, I guess I could've believed them but trying to replace the right side when the problem was only on the left, I think that still would've been suspicious. Anyways, long story short, I used my own brain and fixed the geometry instead w camber plates, and everything's been fine ever since. Something like a 500 dollar part plus minimal labor as opposed to 8k+.

In hindsight, we should've thought out the suspension more throughly ourselves but the dealer definitely had zero know-how, and whenever they see a car they don't understand or feel like they can get away with it, they'll just replace random parts and charge you ridiculous labor hours so apart from an oil change or something I try to stay away.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:54 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Only a point 1 owner would think a GT4 is fast. No highly modded Point 2 cares how slow a GT4 is.
My reference to the GT4 was more about them having a best lap times thread - having said that, track is a humbling place so I'd never say a GT4 is slow - hell I wouldn't even say 986 Boxsters are slow, some of those SPB guys could hunt you down.

I also don't remember getting passed by a 3.0 .2 on track this season but hey that's just my experience.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:16 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

It's really sad and dumb business practice by the dealers around here. I'm in my 30's and own a few exotics. I dont want any special favors, I just want to be treated fairly. I guess that's too much to ask? I have (hopefully) 30 plus more years buying high end cars, guess I'll continue to shop out of the local area when the need arises.... Btw, saw your car at Vortex and it looks great. I really love that color in person.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:46 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 676 Posts

My reference to the GT4 was more about them having a best lap times thread - having said that, track is a humbling place so I'd never say a GT4 is slow - hell I wouldn't even say 986 Boxsters are slow, some of those SPB guys could hunt you down.

I also don't remember getting passed by a 3.0 .2 on track this season but hey that's just my experience.
92nd .Porsche Cayman GT4 (981)Christian Gebhardt 7:42.00
32nd .Porsche 911 Carrera GTSChristian Gebhardt 7:23.77

Same driver - Same track. 60 places apart. The Ring. I counted 23 Different 911's that were faster than the GT4. I have never seen a GT4 King of the ring? I have seen 911's do it though.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:54 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 144 Posts

Old 09-23-2018, 11:20 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,029 Likes on 653 Posts

I think if you have a car that sees track duty, for any kind of real work (ie something that's beyond reading OBD2 codes and just replacing stuff randomly until the problem is fixed) you're better off not going to any dealer. I really don't think the service departments know what they're doing.
Agreed, and my local dealership does support a basic motorsports program (driver training to entry level stuff). Also my dealer works closely with a private provider that has a very long history with Porsche and motorsport and supports cars in events all over the country. Thus if its motorsport related I go to private provider and if its warranty or Porsche new knowledge specific I go to the dealer.

A key point I would make is, and particularly when working with Indys is it's important for the owner of the car to understand what he or she is doing and the ramifications of those actions e.g. wholesale modding. Perhaps most importantly its up to the owner to be realistic about their skill level and and what they are trying to achieve e.g. win a series, simply be competitive or have fun in a safe (relatively) environment.

In my view, particularly with Porsche a piecewise approach followed by testing leads to the best outcomes. In that regard my car (outside of safety) is very mildly warmed over e.g. pads, fluids and tires, alignment and yet it remains highly competitive.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:51 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by slvr993
BGB - Do you mind sharing the brake set-up ?

Thx
Jeff
In a few days I will release pics, etc. I'm going to keep it close to the vest because the last time I did, everyone took part numbers and shopped it to local dealerships and to my vendors. Please bear with me for a minute til I can finish the package.

Thank you.

John
Old 09-24-2018, 02:45 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
In a few days I will release pics, etc. I'm going to keep it close to the vest because the last time I did, everyone took part numbers and shopped it to local dealerships and to my vendors. Please bear with me for a minute til I can finish the package.

Thank you.

John
Hey John, that is completely understandable. Hopefully others will see value in the time you have taken and go through you when the need arises for them to upgrade their brakes.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:06 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Hey John, that is completely understandable. Hopefully others will see value in the time you have taken and go through you when the need arises for them to upgrade their brakes.
I'm starting to get really excited. This car is finally getting the love it deserves on the lift in the shop; the shocks are off, the intercoolers are off, the radiators are off and we hope to have the suspension, done today. We are missing 1 single piece from H&R but it's inbound. I'm also giving it a bath while it's naked!

As for the brake discussion, i have cooling mods i am making and i plan to approach the brake package in 2 different directions. What is the consensus from you guys about rotor diameter up front? Would you rather see a 380mm package for the front OR if i can make the 350mm work without fatigue, is that sufficient? The problem is that if you want 380mm you need our kit that has the retrofitted 997.2 GT3 front calipers. Our existing kit allows you to retrofit that 6-piston caliper to the 991/981 and 997/987 upright and it comes with the most well developed brake assembly up front in the land BUT to get 380mm you need to change calipers. I am going to first see if my cooling improvements, fluid and pads make the 350mm stuff live at Texas. What do you guys prefer? Do we not care about price and we want 380mm at any cost?
Old 09-25-2018, 10:46 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

380 purely for bragging rights lol!
Old 09-25-2018, 12:12 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

I think it's worth seeing if the 350mm set up with standard S/GTS calipers can work. If not than on to the 380! but it would be good to know if the 350 will work well or not.
Any concerns with the 380 up front changing brake balance? Whats the all -in ball park number for the BGB 380 conversion with the calipers?? I'll be modding a T so I need new fronts no matter what.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 09-25-2018, 09:24 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

350 Giros w regular S calipers work pretty well for me but I've never tested in extreme heat.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:06 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

350 Giros w regular S calipers work pretty well for me but I've never tested in extreme heat.
+1

So would be interested in both options. 350 so lower cost and 380 for higher ultimate capability

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread