Old 09-09-2018, 02:41 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 607 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
^^^ RAS delete your words not mine.

Why don't you like driving RAS, it delivers, free of charge 1.5 degrees of slip angle - thats a lot. I'll take that plus SPASM over unmatched sway bars and coilovers.

I suspect harness bars will be banned (unless built into a cage, obviously) - too many poorly installed - delivering the wrong angle at the shoulders.

So you have modded a car, all of which is unproven through testing on the car, will drive it at Sebring and then sell it?

Where is the track testing in all of this? The feed back loop?

What happened to the BGB approach as applied to the GT4?

To deliver a much improved suspension set up that delivers results on the clock requires a lot of work and testing - slap it in and hope is not the way I would do it.

Not trying to be a PITA, just curious as to why the apparent change in direction and the spray and wipe approach.
I know you're not trying to be a PITA and while it may read like that, I'm not trying to be one either; I guess I'm old fashioned and don't respond to someone assuming that I'm just slapping parts on things aimlessly. It's probably worth mentioning that in 2012 I welded a cage in a 991.1 Carrera S and tried to get it homologated for professional racing, which Porsche did NOT like. They threatened me if I didn't give up and while that car now gets club raced, I still developed it. I did a brake package, sway package, moonball suspension and 3-way dampers and I got to drive it at Road Atlanta and some other places. While the 991.2 is a new journey for me because of it's turbocharged motor, the chassis is something I've had a grasp on for about 5 years now. In fact, since the 996, we have taken cars from the dealership to the race track using a similar setup for spring rates, alignment, etc. While the cars have changed, the basic methodology stays the same. The underlying chassis just works better and better than it did on the previous model.

We are headed into our slow season and I am anxious to find a new home for the car for financial reasons but NOT before I drive it with all of the upgrades and bless it as a well handling Porsche. I drove it in stock form and it feels like every other single Cayman or 911 with stock parts; it's numb, it rolls a lot, needs more camber front and rear AND the brakes need help because they're super quick to overheat and run out of life. I'm just doing the cooling mods to be preemptive.

I'm going to add Castrol SRF and our tried and tested endurance racing brake pads to upgrade the brake package you asked about.

Where do you live? I'd love to let you try it out on track if you're near us.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:37 PM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Advice or comments on Mods

Here is what a local shop has recommended to me. Car is 991.2 C2 without PSE or SC. Anyone care to weigh in on mods (even though not much detail) and, more importantly, your thoughts on suggested power gains. The point in doing this is to up the HP and improve exhaust sound without being obnoxious. Thanks for your input.

COBB Stage 1 tune
Akrapovic sport exhaust with high flow cats
IPD intake plenum
BMC performance intake air filter

Estimated power gain is about 100HP
Old 09-09-2018, 04:58 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by USGooner
Here is what a local shop has recommended to me. Car is 991.2 C2 without PSE or SC. Anyone care to weigh in on mods (even though not much detail) and, more importantly, your thoughts on suggested power gains. The point in doing this is to up the HP and improve exhaust sound without being obnoxious. Thanks for your input.

COBB Stage 1 tune
Akrapovic sport exhaust with high flow cats
IPD intake plenum
BMC performance intake air filter

Estimated power gain is about 100HP
That's a great start. With the AKRA, IPD and BMC you will be able to do Stage 2 COBB tune when it gets released. Then just add AMS Intercooler for stgae 3 COBB.

I already have the COBB S1 the IPD and the AMS Intercoolers. I am thinking AKRA and Vektor Headers.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:44 PM
USGooner
Instructor

I've been chatting with the Vetkor folks also and really want to do their headers. Any issue with Cobb regarding warning lights? Finally, do you think HP gains realistic based on mods or are they exaggerating a bit? Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by USGooner; 09-09-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 09-09-2018, 05:45 PM
USGooner
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
That's a great start. With the AKRA, IPD and BMC you will be able to do Stage 2 COBB tune when it gets released. Then just add AMS Intercooler for stgae 3 COBB.

I already have the COBB S1 the IPD and the AMS Intercoolers. I am thinking AKRA and Vektor Headers.
I've been chatting with the Vetkor folks also and really want to do their headers. Any issue with Cobb regarding warning lights? Finally, do you think HP gains realistic based on mods or are they exaggerating a bit? Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:50 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

Search my posts with Vector and judge for yourself..
Old 09-09-2018, 09:58 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I just ordered the kitchen sink with the intention of taking the car to Sebring in 2 weeks and then COTA in October for a DE where it will sit with a FOR SALE sticker. I'm at 6K on the odometer.

Car will have:
Cobb Stage I Flash
IPD Plenum
Cargraphic catless or catted bypass pipe
BMC Filter
PWR Radiators
AMS Intercoolers

H&R VVT Springs & Coilovers
Tarett Monoball everything
Upgraded GT3 sway bars & drop links
DSC PASM controller
MSI Wheel Studs & Lug Nuts
15mm / 7mm wheel spacers

BGB 4-point harness bar (yellow)
Schroth enduro belts (black & yellow)
Porsche GT2 carbon fiber bucket seats

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but if you know anyone looking for a track oriented 991.2 GTS with 5-lugs, no sunroof and RAS delete, there might be a commission in it for you.
BGB,

I have been interested in the H&R VVT kit and KW HAS kit.

Would you always recommend a sleeve kit over regular lowering springs if you plan on tracking the car? How much of a benefit are they over regular lowering springs? How important is the ability to corner balance the 991?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USGooner
No issues with COBB. No lights, and no errors. Its awesome. I think initially they had said that their GTS they dynoed made 509 HP with just Stage 1 COBB tune. A few members dynoed at 480 in hot conditions.

These cars are difficult to dyno as they heat soak so fast, sitting on a dyno. It definitly pulls much stronger and is stock like silky smooth. I doubt it made an extra 100Hp, most certainly at least 50 Hp to the wheels.

So with a free flow cats and headers and AMS and stage 2 tune I think 100 HP should be very easily exceeded.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:26 PM
USGooner
Instructor

No issues with COBB. No lights, and no errors. Its awesome. I think initially they had said that their GTS they dynoed made 509 HP with just Stage 1 COBB tune. A few members dynoed at 480 in hot conditions.

These cars are difficult to dyno as they heat soak so fast, sitting on a dyno. It definitly pulls much stronger and is stock like silky smooth. I doubt it made an extra 100Hp, most certainly at least 50 Hp to the wheels.

So with a free flow cats and headers and AMS and stage 2 tune I think 100 HP should be very easily exceeded.
Thanks again. Sounds like I'm on the right track.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:35 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

So with the Cobb tune, are dealers be able to tell? Can you reflash yourself before taking the car in?
Old 09-10-2018, 12:46 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by basic666
So with the Cobb tune, are dealers be able to tell? Can you reflash yourself before taking the car in?
You can reflash yourself back to stock with the access port. A dealer would not tell unless something catastrophic happen and they went looking. Then they could tell. But if no issues and they are not looking, they won't tell.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:23 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,029 Likes on 653 Posts

BGB thanks for the candid response - I appreciate the comment re Porsche - their position in relation to Motorsport is interesting to strange sometimes. For example try and buy Cup car brakes and rotors ��

In in terms of suspension I think in terms of total achievable grip for a given set of tires - hence I look at sum g numbers in three directions eg left right and forward (braking). So for cup twos I should be able to achieve consistently sum g 5.1 - thus any changes must improve on that.

I'm spending more time doing Targa type events these day so I tend to prefer a supple set up that maximises contact patch contact with the road

If I was nearby I would very much enjoy exploring the limits of your car - it would be interesting to see the g sum numbers ��

Last edited by groundhog; 09-10-2018 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-10-2018, 04:39 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You can reflash yourself back to stock with the access port. A dealer would not tell unless something catastrophic happen and they went looking. Then they could tell. But if no issues and they are not looking, they won't tell.
But COBB has to "crack" the computer first before you can upload their program so couldn't the dealer see this?
Old 09-10-2018, 04:42 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
But COBB has to "crack" the computer first before you can upload their program so couldn't the dealer see this?
They took a lid off a jar and resealed it. No you cannot physically see this. When inside they retrieved a password and pressed it back together. If you had a back yarder take the lid off and bend it, you could physically see it, but COBB have a proper press that restores the lid perfectly. Nothing to see here folks.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:15 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
best to find a tune friendly Porsche dealer and be upfront with them. Or if one deals Cobb then buy from them. Goes a long way in lower stress dealer service. Anything catastrophic Porsche will know it was tuned. No reason to hide the tune from the dealer. Once tuned the dice are rolled. Stage 1 from most reputable companies is benign. I love my Cobb.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread