Sponsored by:

991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 12:29 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I'm going to get a set and do the testing here in CT. I will report back with dyno charts ASAP.
did you ever up getting pair and do any sort of dyno?... Thought everyone was waiting to hear back on this
Old 09-11-2018, 12:36 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

When I have the results I will post them here. You are the first to ask. I am doing it for my own curiosity with no help from Vector. Thats all I can say for now...
Old 09-11-2018, 08:35 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Are upgraded intercoolers necessary for stage 1 if occasionally tracked ?

Thx
Old 09-11-2018, 09:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

John BGB..meant to tell you...I ran Sebring last Thursday...93 degree heat with AC on and no over heating. Oil temp got up to 265...coolant on the digital gauge no more than 195. No idea how accurate the digital gauges are.

Running 350mm Giro Disc with Pagid RS29 Yellows and SRF fluid. After running Ferodo ds25 and ds1.11 I can say the Pagid performed better. I did run into my front driver side caliper leaking enough fluid to cause a minor mist and dirt sticking to side of car and front passenger side leaking a little and now both calipers are dark stained from brake fluid and heat.

No idea why front calipers contine to leak fluid. Reeves Porsche replaced drivers side December 2017, I did 1 DE and it showed minor leaking with a few dark dribble leak stains and it gave up the ghost AGAIN last Thursday at Sebring again.

i was hitting same MPH as 991 GT3RS on back straight and front straight. Car with stock engine and exhaust is out right fast with this new 3.0 Turbo and stock GTS tune. I’m on MPSC2...stock sizes Car wallows/leans a lot in turns, needs aero like a GT3 or RS, and for its stock,power it need brakes that can keep,up with it. If it had just slightly better suspension and GT3 quality brakes it will out run a 991 GT3 at Sebring...I’m already out running GT3 but they can go longer with no brake issues.

Ive pretty much had it with this car....thinking of putting it on jacks and getting calipers painted red to look new again and putting stock rotors back on and calling it quits with this thing...and getting a GT3 or maybe another brand after Christmas.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:33 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
John BGB..meant to tell you...I ran Sebring last Thursday...93 degree heat with AC on and no over heating. Oil temp got up to 265...coolant on the digital gauge no more than 195. No idea how accurate the digital gauges are.

Running 350mm Giro Disc with Pagid RS29 Yellows and SRF fluid. After running Ferodo ds25 and ds1.11 I can say the Pagid performed better. I did run into my front driver side caliper leaking enough fluid to cause a minor mist and dirt sticking to side of car and front passenger side leaking a little and now both calipers are dark stained from brake fluid and heat.

No idea why front calipers contine to leak fluid. Reeves Porsche replaced drivers side December 2017, I did 1 DE and it showed minor leaking with a few dark dribble leak stains and it gave up the ghost AGAIN last Thursday at Sebring again.

i was hitting same MPH as 991 GT3RS on back straight and front straight. Car with stock engine and exhaust is out right fast with this new 3.0 Turbo and stock GTS tune. I’m on MPSC2...stock sizes Car wallows/leans a lot in turns, needs aero like a GT3 or RS, and for its stock,power it need brakes that can keep,up with it. If it had just slightly better suspension and GT3 quality brakes it will out run a 991 GT3 at Sebring...I’m already out running GT3 but they can go longer with no brake issues.

Ive pretty much had it with this car....thinking of putting it on jacks and getting calipers painted red to look new again and putting stock rotors back on and calling it quits with this thing...and getting a GT3 or maybe another brand after Christmas.
That's awesome. Are you near Tampa? We should meet up. I'm about to pull the trigger on headers tune intake plenum filters inneecoolers ect. Right now my gts is stock except for agency power catless exhaust and numeric shifter/cables.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
That's awesome. Are you near Tampa? We should meet up. I'm about to pull the trigger on headers tune intake plenum filters inneecoolers ect. Right now my gts is stock except for agency power catless exhaust and numeric shifter/cables.
Yes in Tampa...up in the Odessa New Port Richy area.

If you track your GTS...forget the tune and all that...car is fast with out it...put a big brake kit and suspension on the car and it will slay at the track and run with many other cars that people perceive as faster or more exotic

yes lets meet up if you want.... I’m suppose to take my car to Vortex on Thursday ...painting calipers, puttingmin new bleeder screws with hi temp Teflon tape...but I’m honestly about to give up on this car as a fun weekend toy and occasional track outing.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:21 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 810 Posts

If you track your GTS...forget the tune and all that...car is fast with out it...put a big brake kit and suspension on the car and it will slay at the track and run with many other cars that people perceive as faster or more exotic

yes lets meet up if you want.... I’m suppose to take my car to Vortex on Thursday ...painting calipers, puttingmin new bleeder screws with hi temp Teflon tape...but I’m honestly about to give up on this car as a fun weekend toy and occasional track outing.
What's next?
Old 09-12-2018, 03:07 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
Are upgraded intercoolers necessary for stage 1 if occasionally tracked ?

Thx
No. Lol. Up graded intercoolers (In the rear) are for performance, and really only needed for Stage 3 tune. However you may mean the 3rd Radiator in the front. Porsche has a factory 3rd one that is available but PWR can up grade all 3 in the front. Only needed if you do events longer than an hour or if your climate is really hot. (Like mine.)
Old 09-12-2018, 02:01 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
This thread will be dedicated to the development of the 991.2 Base/S/GTS platform and the upgrade path that i have chosen for this car en route to trying to create the perfect dual purpose Porsche for driving to/from the race track while maintaining the creature comforts that come on a modern day Porsche 911 road car. The plan is to outfit the car with the least amount of required bits for race track reliability; i am in the info gathering stage at the moment so who here has been racking up track miles on their 991.2 and what can you tell me about it?

Similar to how i did the GT4 and cars before, we eventually will be able to provide anything anyone needs for this car to create power or outfit it for the track.
Is this you driving in the Solo group at Sebring last weekend?

Old 09-12-2018, 02:17 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 607 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
Is this you driving in the Solo group at Sebring last weekend?
Actually, it could be me following that guy. That's a 991.1 GTS; i talked to the owner briefly. The car following him however is the GT4 Clubsport we campaign in IMSA. I did a few laps in it on Sunday but it's probably the car owner Jim *** at the wheel. We ran about 350 miles over 2 days and packed it up and headed home. Good shot!

I really wish you would bring that car to me before you dump it. I think it's nuts that the only thing holding you back are the brakes and that it's a crime that you keep having issues. You've been a PDK GTS owner/supporter for as long as i can remember. Just bring that thing to me and if i can't fix the brakes and make it last around Sebring i won't ever ask you for another favor again!

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 09-12-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:43 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Actually, it could be me following that guy. That's a 991.1 GTS; i talked to the owner briefly. The car following him however the GT4 Clubsport we campaign in IMSA. I did a few laps in it on Sunday but it's probably the car owner Jim *** at the wheel. We ran about 350 miles over 2 days and packed it up and headed home. Good shot!
You spoke with me...I'm the owner. You had the communication headset, correct?
Old 09-12-2018, 02:53 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 607 Likes on 271 Posts

You spoke with me...I'm the owner. You had the communication headset, correct?
lol..NOW it makes sense. sorry, yes, that's us! Nice to meet you again!
Old 09-12-2018, 03:32 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

What speeds did you log on the front and rear straight? Just curious to compare with mine. Also, I am planning to go the Girodisc route and you still feel the car has inadequate brakes? I have the 991.1 and agree that on track the car leans too much.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

What speeds did you log on the front and rear straight? Just curious to compare with mine. Also, I am planning to go the Girodisc route and you still feel the car has inadequate brakes? I have the 991.1 and agree that on track the car leans too much.
back straight was 149.1 on Harry’s app...that day...I’ll have to go back and look for front. I know T1 apex speed is 78-80, going into T4 is 76, going into T7 brake at bridge is 132-34,going into T13 is 105, Bishops is around 117....lap times are 2:22 on perfection laps but I average 2:24. I think with a real good pro car is a 2:21 in perfect weather and tires, maybe a 2:20, who knows (Michelin Pilot Sport 2)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:47 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

back straight was 149.1 on Harry’s app...that day...I’ll have to go back and look for front. I know T1 apex speed is 78-80, going into T4 is 76, going into T7 brake at bridge is 132-34,going into T13 is 105, Bishops is around 117....lap times are 2:22 on perfection laps but I average 2:24. I think with a real good pro car is a 2:21 in perfect weather and tires, maybe a 2:20, who knows (Michelin Pilot Sport 2)
Those are good times on a relatively stock car. Did the Cup2 tires make the car feel better through the high speed sections?

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread