Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

>>The Official Porsche 991.2/911T Club<<Purist Driver's Car>>

Old 08-29-2018, 08:04 PM
shing911500e
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ronht
Ok, one week in and just turned over 700 miles - My thoughts.

The Carrera T is, in my opinion, hands down the best 911 I have ever owned! After 700 miles in the last week of varied driving followed up with a 2 hour trip yesterday and a 4 hour trip today I can't say enough about what a fantastic car this is. After the last two 911's that I've owned, I for the first time feel as engaged overall in every aspect of driving this car as I did in my first 84 Carrera.

The gearing and the gearbox are nothing short of fantastic! I'm still limiting myself to 4000 rpm, but the pull this car provides even with that limitation is impressive. What I like the most, compared to the PDK, is that the manual transmission provides more intuitive feedback letting you control the shift point and the torque by playing with the throttle under changing traffic or road conditions instead of having the PDK constantly upshift too soon only to have to downshift again when you step down on the throttle. To me the manual gearbox of the T is just more intuitive in the way it connects you to the car.

Overall the car drives like it's on rails. It's glued to the road and is super responsive, however the ride is not uncomfortable or harsh even on longer trips.

Compared to the 2017 S I can't say that the road noise is different at all. It really depends on the road surface how much noise you get in the cabin. And as far as engine noise goes, 6th and 7th gear are both very quiet at cruising speeds. We did a 4 hour trip today, in 95 degree heat and were both very comfortable with the AC in normal and only two steps on the fan speed.

Lastly, the RAS is a must have in my opinion. The T feels as small as my 84 911, and it's uncanny how nimble it is around corners and twisty roads.

My T has turned out to be every bit and more of the road car that I could have ever hoped for - This one is a keeper!

My previous Porsche owner experience -
1984 911 Carrera Whale tail - manual 5 speed
2007 911 Carrera S Triptronic
2017 911 Carrera S PDK RAS
Couldnt agree more on all fronts. Though mine doesnt have RAS, I can still agree it's every bit the road car I could have hoped for and then some!!

AND, you and I have a lot common....my 84 3.2 Carrera has shaped everything I have come to appreciate and love about Porsche cars and has kept me from exploring any of the water cooled variants since the advent of the 996. The T changed all of that. So many things about it speak to me. I can actually feel it's connection to my 3.2 which made me feel right at home once I finally got the gumption to entertain buying one. I wish you hadn't parted ways with your 84, but the T is a soulful piece that I suspect will feel that way for many years to come. For my part, I couldnt bring myself to getting rid of the 84. So they sit in tandem (Happily!) in our garage!

Old 08-29-2018, 08:29 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Haha those Fuchs look tiny.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:19 PM
shing911500e
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Haha those Fuchs look tiny.
Not when you see how tiny an air cooled car looks next to a 991....to my eye they (the beautiful Fuchs) are perfectly proportioned to the rest of the car. As are the monster wheels and tires on the 991.2 T. The 991.2 is a much larger car in every way including weight.....the 84 weighs in at 2700lbs whereas the 991.2 comes in ~3250. It's all relative.....and it's all good.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:03 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by shing911500e
Not when you see how tiny an air cooled car looks next to a 991....to my eye they (the beautiful Fuchs) are perfectly proportioned to the rest of the car. As are the monster wheels and tires on the 991.2 T. The 991.2 is a much larger car in every way including weight.....the 84 weighs in at 2700lbs whereas the 991.2 comes in ~3250. It's all relative.....and it's all good.
It is all good. I had an' 83 as my 1st 911. Wish I still had it.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:57 AM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couldnt agree more on all fronts. Though mine doesnt have RAS, I can still agree it's every bit the road car I could have hoped for and then some!!

AND, you and I have a lot common....my 84 3.2 Carrera has shaped everything I have come to appreciate and love about Porsche cars and has kept me from exploring any of the water cooled variants since the advent of the 996. The T changed all of that. So many things about it speak to me. I can actually feel it's connection to my 3.2 which made me feel right at home once I finally got the gumption to entertain buying one. I wish you hadn't parted ways with your 84, but the T is a soulful piece that I suspect will feel that way for many years to come. For my part, I couldnt bring myself to getting rid of the 84. So they sit in tandem (Happily!) in our garage!
Thanks for the comments - I must say I’m envious I would love to have my 84 911 sitting along side my T but at the time with two teenagers at home and my work requiring me to be out of town I didn’t want any “Ferris Bueller” surprise moments to come home to.

Glad you were able to keep yours together! They are both awesome cars and the T is another “keeper”!

Enjoy!
Old 08-30-2018, 01:53 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

That 3.2 looks stunning! A Targa? Loving the Fuchs wheels!
Old 09-02-2018, 08:12 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Great pair.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:24 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Theres 15 Ts on dealer lots within 500 miles of me.. does this seem a bit unusual for a "limited" model. They made like twice the amount of gt3s. Obviously this is a different level of car but it strikes me as a bit odd considering allocations were initially hard to come by.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:52 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Theres 15 Ts on dealer lots within 500 miles of me.. does this seem a bit unusual for a "limited" model. They made like twice the amount of gt3s.
Who cares? Get out and drive your T.

My suspicion is that the economy is strong for some (i.e. who only want a GT car), and not others. There is probably a lot of lesser-than-GT cars of all flavors filling the lots. (I don’t know Porsche numbers... But...) Audi just barely maintained their 100 month (?) sales growth streak, so for the moderate luxury end of the market, I bet dealers will be starting to feel the pinch.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:57 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Who cares? Get out and drive your T.

My suspicion is that the economy is strong for some (i.e. who only want a GT car), and not others. There is probably a lot of lesser-than-GT cars of all flavors filling the lots. (I don’t know Porsche numbers... But...) Audi just barely maintained their 100 month (?) sales growth streak, so for the moderate luxury end of the market, I bet dealers will be starting to feel the pinch.
Well said, sir. We only live once. At the current rate Im gonna need new tires next spring (or 8k miles). PS the Pirellis are really good at doing donuts in the rain.. JK.. maybe
Old 09-03-2018, 12:20 AM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Theres 15 Ts on dealer lots within 500 miles of me.. does this seem a bit unusual for a "limited" model. They made like twice the amount of gt3s. Obviously this is a different level of car but it strikes me as a bit odd considering allocations were initially hard to come by.
A lot of variables to consider - but I think with the economy being good a lot of people prefer to configure a car to their personal preference rather than choose one off the lot.

All of the dealer configured cars that I saw prior to ordering mine just weren’t what I was looking for.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:48 AM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

In more important news...

Can I just say, again, that I don't want this summer to end! (New car owner.) I spend 4 hours + behind the wheel today. First a couple of hours on my own. Then a trip to a winery and touring-in-the-T with my wonderful wife...

Old 09-03-2018, 12:51 AM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Old 09-03-2018, 01:01 AM
ronht
Rennlist Member

You don’t want summer to end?

Try living in the Chicago area I just got my car 10 days ago! When summer is over here it’s OVER!

BTW - Great pictures!
Old 09-03-2018, 01:06 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Winter tires.... lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: >>The Official Porsche 991.2/911T Club<<Purist Driver's Car>>