Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 02:16 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,323 Posts

Originally Posted by rainer
- his headlights stay on all the time once ignition is on, regardless of light switch position. Not sure this is a coding issue related to some region settings or simply a defect switch. I don‘t think this is normal behaviour for a US car?!
This is not normal on my MY17. My headlight switch has off, auto, running lights, and headlights as switch positions, and the headlights only come on in automatic when there isn't sufficient light to trip the sensor, or when in the headlight position.

I believe you can code various parameters around the DRLs, so someone may have popped in there with a PIWIS or equivalent?

I assume that "off" is one of the switch positions tested that still has the headlights on.

Worst case, perhaps there's a short in a relay somewhere, the DRLs are tripping the headlight circuit? Seems fishy to me, given that a lot of modern cars are module-driven for this. Not sure on the 911.

@asellus : you might run into license issues with your maps given the FEC code of **22 in your case. If I remember correctly the last 2 digits are map lifetime, 99 means endless. Region is defined by digits 3-5 (000 for Europe, 100 for US). Afaik you should set the FEC code for your map to 6310099 (mine is 6300099). You can of course wait until 01 Jan 2023 to see if your map fails ;-)
very cool, that's a good piece of information -- @enzotcat this is why our map FEC differs, I guess!
Old 02-07-2021, 09:43 AM
rainer
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

So, I‘m one step further on the light issue: the light switch does not seem to be recognized. No part #, no serial #, just empty fields.
I compared it to 2 other Macans, both show proper ECU information.

it‘s either not plugged in or defect i guess. The Front BCM just switches headlights on when ignition is on, but does not get any setting infos like „auto“ or „off“.

my buddy ordered a new switch, that should fix it.
The following users liked this post:
asellus (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 02:22 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts

Well, I've tried pretty much everything I can think of - leaving the car with it overnight, using @asellus FEC list for my own, adding in more FECs, etc. - yes, I made doubly sure that I didn't have a space in my parameter list (it was a copy-and-paste error for the message), I looked at the bytes of the generated FecContainer to make sure it had all of the FEC codes, I tried running the adaptation before I flashed the FS, I tried it after, I tried leaving the FS as-is and leaving that overnight and then changing just the FecContainer. Still nothing. It's as though it's just completely ignoring it. Normally I'd expect, when connected via Bluetooth, that my phone would pop up a message saying "Android Auto is available", but I get nothing at all. No message, no indication that the MIB2 has done anything useful. It says "USB device connected" when I connect the phone, as it always has.

I think I'm gonna give up on this for a while again.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:37 PM
rainer
Instructor

AA will not work with bluetooth, only w/ USB.

I got the message immediately after patching and connecting the phone w/ USB.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:43 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Yup, I know - I plugged it in. But all my other cars give a message when your phone is connected to the car by Bluetooth that says "Android Auto is available. To connect, plug in your device".

When I plug it in, all I get is the USB Device connected" message, nothing else.

@rainer - how did you do the ExceptionList.txt route - did you just add a file with the FEC exceptions?

AA will not work with bluetooth, only w/ USB.

I got the message immediately after patching and connecting the phone w/ USB.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:49 PM
enzotcat
Pro

@rainer and @asellus - what is the version of the firmware on your unit? I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:59 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enzotcat
@rainer and @asellus - what is the version of the firmware on your unit? I wonder if that has something to do with it.
S/W: MHI_US_POG11_K3300 0809
H/W: 051

Phone driver version listed as 10.468.116
Old 02-07-2021, 03:05 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by asellus
S/W: MHI_US_POG11_K3300 0809
H/W: 051

Phone driver version listed as 10.468.116
Hmm.

My S/W is MHI2_US_POG11_P3300 0809
H/W is the same as yours at 051
Media driver version is CLU6_MMX2_PAG_NAR_G11_073PROD-1
Phone driver is the same at 10.468.116

[Edit] I suspect you really meant MHI2 and that was a typo. Seems like the K vs P is "dealer installed" vs "factory installed" version; otherwise they're identical.

Last edited by enzotcat; 02-07-2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:18 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Eureka!

So I decided to do some more research and try things again. My premise was simply that the MIB was not rebooting properly even though I left it overnight, turned the car off, etc. etc. etc. So I found a nice little place that has some MIB hacking tools (from an earlier post in this thread, but see here - M.I.B. - More. Incredible. Bash. Anyway, I groveled through the code a little bit and found that they do it a little differently - they use ExceptionList.txt and hack MIBRoot to disable the checksum/encryption check for both FecContainer.fec and ExceptionList.txt; anyway, I didn't do that, but it did lead me to the little key that seems to have done the magic for me - a command to reboot the device - on -f rcc /usr/apps/mib2_ioc_flash reboot executed on the RCC. That set of code is a treasure trove of MIB patches and scripts for having a lot of, errm, "fun" with your MIB2. Anyway, the first time I did it, I was running an FecContainer.fec with a bunch of extra FECs, and upon reboot my nav was suddenly gone, so I looked and finally found a real InvalidFecContainer.fec that was significant. So, next I replaced the container with the original FecContainer.fec and saw my nav magically appear after a couple of seconds - that was very encouraging.

Finally, I took my 1st modified FecContainer that just added the FEC for AA, and copied that over. For good measure, I rebooted via the command above, and as they say, voila! Magic happened! (And yes, the seat heater is on because it's 18 degrees F outside and snowing and my garage is unheated).

Thanks to all the help from @asellus without whom I would never have gotten this done. And thanks to @chris2 even though he's actively ignoring this thread for putting the original guide together.

Let's hope that nothing cray-cray goes wrong due to the hack (I doubt it, because I disassembled the code and looked at what it was doing so I'm pretty confident that nothing bad will occur, which is why I was moderately insistent to myself at least of doing this myself - I don't exactly like letting anyone monkey with my software toys), but it's definitely not for the faint-hearted.

Home Screen!!

Android Auto link!!
The following 4 users liked this post by enzotcat:
asellus (02-07-2021), Noah Fect (02-22-2021), rainer (02-08-2021), Seth K (03-15-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 07:11 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Some more thoughts to record things for posterity. You definitely have to do an "adaptation" - doesn't matter if it's via PIWIS or via command line on the MIB2 device.It looks like you need to ensure that 3 things are set correctly - (a) Apple CarPlay must be enabled (should be, since it comes from the factory like that), (b) Android Auto must be enabled, and (c) USB device mode must be set correctly (again, should be since it comes from the factory like that). In any event, if you're doing it via PIWIS or some other tool, follow those guides. If, however, you're doing it via command line, it's something like the following. It seems like setting these values both before you flash and after you flash may be useful, and I suspect - based upon a hunch and knowledge of how some dummies write code that relies upon a read to change cached values - that you want to read the values back again after setting them. It goes something like this:

telnet 10.0.0.15 23
root/<whatever-your-password-is> - seems like this is generally oaIQOqkW
  1. First check to see what current values are:
    1. on -f mmx /eso/bin/apps/pc b:0:3221356628:7.7 <— before 1st time, should be 0
    2. on -f mmx /eso/bin/apps/pc b:0:3221356628:8.0 <— probably should be 1, because it comes enabled from factory. It was 1 on mine.
    3. on -f mmx /eso/bin/apps/pc i:0:1343769792 <— probably should be 3; USB device control mode. It was already 3 on mine.
  2. Set the values
    1. on -f mmx /eso/bin/apps/pc b:0:3221356628:7.7 1
    2. on -f mmx /eso/bin/apps/pc b:0:3221356628:8.0 1
    3. on -f mmx /eso/bin/apps/pc i:0:1343769792 3
  3. Read the values again to make sure they took
    1. on -f mmx /eso/bin/apps/pc b:0:3221356628:7.7 <— should now be 1
    2. on -f mmx /eso/bin/apps/pc b:0:3221356628:8.0 <— should now be 1
    3. on -f mmx /eso/bin/apps/pc i:0:1343769792 <— should now be 3; USB device control mode
Also note that after the initial reboot, it takes some time for the home screen to load - the Porsche logo appears, the outline of your car appears, and then if you do not go to a home screen loading image and instead go to something like the last screen you were on before rebooting, press the "Home" button to go home. This should then take several seconds to show, and in the interim it will show a "Loading Home" page. If it does not do this, this is your clue that the unit has not completely rebooted and therefore none of your changes have gone into effect. In that case, see the previous post about rebooting the unit (in brief, execute on -f rcc /usr/apps/mib2_ioc_flash reboot when logged into the RCC or MMX).

Last edited by enzotcat; 02-07-2021 at 07:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by enzotcat:
asellus (02-07-2021), RadonHD (02-14-2021), rainer (02-08-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 04:18 AM
rainer
Instructor

(have to change thread due to update):

I had connection problems w/ AA and it did not work after patching - just got the update that it works now, the cable was the issue!

Last edited by rainer; 02-19-2021 at 04:31 AM. Reason: UPDATE
The following 2 users liked this post by rainer:
enzotcat (02-19-2021), RadonHD (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 05:15 AM
RadonHD
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone tried Sport Chrono?
I tried to make screenshots (with Developer Mode enabled) but didn't find a key to make a screenshot. Long pressing Home, Media etc. did not work for me...
Old 02-21-2021, 11:07 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by RadonHD
Did anyone tried Sport Chrono?
I tried to make screenshots (with Developer Mode enabled) but didn't find a key to make a screenshot. Long pressing Home, Media etc. did not work for me...
What do you mean w.r.t SC - do you mean trying to enable it? I’ve got SC already, so haven’t tried it.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:00 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

(have to change thread due to update):

I had connection problems w/ AA and it did not work after patching - just got the update that it works now, the cable was the issue!
Yeah, AA can be real finnicky with USB cables. A while back I switched to "pursun" brand cables with fully metal, 90 degree angle ends on them and haven't had a single issue since.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:58 PM
googleg
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
I have been reading this post with a lot of curiosity and interest. I find it crazy that a much wanted feature such as Android Auto is there, waiting to be activated... I'm tempted to do the flip on my 2017 Macan.

If I understood correctly the tool "MIB - More Incredible Bash" pretty much automates most of the tasks once you have gained access to the system. One question though: is it mandatory to flash a patched image or copying the patched FEC and EL is enough ?

Also, the MIB readme says it is not recommended to flash the unit while the engine is running. I've seen on this thread someone crashing the PCM because it went on sleep mode half way through the process. What is the safest way to proceed if you don't have an external power source?

Thank you for your help.

Quick Reply: Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?