Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 11:51 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 555 Posts

Sounds like Inception the movie. Being an Android guy it was tempting, but Im not messing with that stuff. Reliability beats flexibility in my world.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:53 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,110 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
Sounds like Inception the movie. Being an Android guy it was tempting, but Im not messing with that stuff. Reliability beats flexibility in my world.
Well, if you change your mind and want to swing up to North Carolina next time I'm out there, I can do it for you.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:17 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

My problem with it is if it glitches after a while, theres really no support and I have seen things like this where the developers just disappear
Old 12-19-2020, 12:20 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My problem with it is if it glitches after a while, theres really no support and I have seen things like this where the developers just disappear
It's just enabling the code that is already used in VW and Audi systems. You aren't actually deploying any new code to the system, just turning the switch from 'off' to 'on'
Old 12-19-2020, 01:32 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,707 Likes on 2,739 Posts

I too am in the Android camp... especially after 40 years in the IT world my take is this should not be an adventure but rather a tool and as such needs to be supported and work reliably!

Make no mistake here, if you don't fully understand what you are doing and how to do it it would would be best to leave it alone. Sure there are those will get it to work and then say it is a piece of cake, just be sure to get their phone number for 24x7 support in the future. It is doubtful but perhaps in the future Porsche will make this option to activate AA on the PCM and only charge a kings ransom for it.

I added full Android functionality to the car by way of an external module that really only uses the PCM display, this was my preferred method even with my background and knowledge preferring to keep the systems separate, and easily returned to stock.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:25 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You both realize that this isn't executing third-party code to run android auto, right? This is first-party stuff. You're just flicking the switch, also provided by VAG, from 'off' to 'on' for their own AA code that runs on Audis and Volkswagens.
Old 12-19-2020, 03:26 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

asellus, what you say sounds easy but the fact that I have to go in and supply lines of code makes me wary.
Westcoast, I would be interested to know more about this module
Old 12-19-2020, 06:16 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
You both realize that this isn't executing third-party code to run android auto, right? This is first-party stuff. You're just flicking the switch, also provided by VAG, from 'off' to 'on' for their own AA code that runs on Audis and Volkswagens.
I 100% understand what you are referring to, as mentioned in the business for years and understand exactly what is being done here, however... I am sure that if the PCM has an issue and Porsche found out that you had made any code changes to the PCM (yes even 'turning on' sections within existing code) you would be on your own, even if the problem was unrelated.

My biggest complaint with any of this is that Porsche makes every excuse in the book to not include AA in the latest PCM offerings yet they have it available for the old PCM in the 986/996 and for the version in the Classic radios, they say Google uploads too much information from the vehicle.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:50 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

asellus, what you say sounds easy but the fact that I have to go in and supply lines of code makes me wary.
Westcoast, I would be interested to know more about this module
@B Russ There is at least one company that is offering a paid service to do this work remotely, a number of individuals have already done this and reported back that they have working AA on the PCM. On the 718 Forum: (19) Android Auto - Unichip-tec | Porsche 718 Forum

As for my solution, I also wanted to add a front parking camera, the Spyder/GT4 front lip is low and I don't like the idea of scraping it up if it can be avoided, the KAP ROiK-MIB2 box allows for this in addition to full Android. Unfortunately I have heard recently that they have halted the sales of these because the manufacturing plant was closed due to COVID-19, no idea if this will change in the new year. They have other products available included a new offering called KPlay but it depends on the version of PCM your car has? KAP TRADER
Old 12-19-2020, 07:05 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Truth is all I really need is bluetooth music and Im happy. I dont need all these "creature comforts", Just a ripping car with bluetooth music and Im But thanks for your insight
Old 12-19-2020, 07:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Truth is all I really need is bluetooth music and Im happy. I dont need all these "creature comforts", Just a ripping car with bluetooth music and Im But thanks for your insight
Nothing wrong with keeping it simple, and FWIW if it weren't for the front camera I wouldn't have bothered...

There are other options for my camera but believe it or not they were hundreds of $$ more than the Android box!
Old 12-19-2020, 08:01 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

BTW, Love the 718 in white. Was shopping for one over the summer and almost added a white GTS
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (12-19-2020)
Old 01-01-2021, 12:32 PM
rainer
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Chris,

great thread, loving it!

The download links on github are dead.. - is there a chance I can get the mkxfs attributes file elsewhere (can it maybe be posted here directly)?

Missing the FEC generator as well.

TIA
Ray

Last edited by rainer; 01-01-2021 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:10 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rainer
Chris,

great thread, loving it!

The download links on github are dead.. - is there a chance I can get the mkxfs attributes file elsewhere (can it maybe be posted here directly)?

Missing the FEC generator as well.

TIA
Ray
Google around and you can find all the tools needed, someone forked the repo and it's public.

For the FEC patching, there's a message left on my profile by someone linking a forum that has the FEC patch notes available.

These pieces were removed to keep people from making a business out of charging $500 for the modification to be performed.
The following users liked this post:
rainer (01-02-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 02:13 PM
911CSC
Pro

Received 365 Likes on 188 Posts

Has anyone added a front camera without going thru the system? Like maybe a blue-tooth using the cell to see the image

Trying to avoid hitting my front Techart spoiler om my cab

Quick Reply: Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?