Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 07:51 PM
TsaiCo
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
I just reached out to Nick from NMautomotive in the UK. I was informed so far things look favorable with his insurers and he should have an answer in a few weeks if his products will be available to US/Canada. Nick also informed me his product/CarPlay is now wireless capable and functions with iOS13. I did not inquire about iPhone 11 functionality.
Hi Sid, confirmed the iPhone 11 Pro works too, love the feature with garage opener on the dash!

my other two neighbors keep asking about you!

Old 10-17-2019, 12:06 AM
weespeed
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Nick's unit and it's been working fine with my Note 10+.
But today there was an update for Android Auto and now it stopped working.
There is no touch response. Then reboots if I keep trying to press the screen.
I thought it was the unit that went bad, but I tested it with my son's iPhone 7 and it works fine.
Anyone else with new Android Auto update with the same issues?

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:22 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by weespeed
I thought it was the unit that went bad, but I tested it with my son's iPhone 7 and it works fine.

Thanks.
Try reaching out to Nick for support.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:36 AM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by weespeed

Thanks.
Try removing the device then add it again. I'm running a pixel 3 and Android 10 has been far more reliable for me than android 9 was.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:36 PM
weespeed
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Update on my issue.

I emailed Nick, and he gave me a bunch of things to try.

The first thing on his list was to go into the main settings and check if Android touch was enabled, and sure enough it was disabled.
It's working again. I guess the update disabled it by default.

Wanted to thank Nick for the quick response and help. I'm glad I was able to purchase the kit from him. His customer service is outstanding.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2019, 06:12 PM
Matt Falco
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CarPlay Retrofit

Hi all,

I'm looking for a shop to help with carplay install; anyone in the Bay Area/CA have any recommendations?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2019, 07:26 PM
IAHAWK5
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where do you live in the Bay Area? Found a place located in Campbell (suburb of San Jose)
Old 11-01-2019, 03:33 PM
udaykiran0
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, do you know of anyone who can do the install in NJ. I reached out to Perzan Audio in Philly and they were pushing a system that they say are sourcing form the same manufacturer of NM system. And they quoted me $1900 for the system installation along with a backup camera on a 2014 C4S Cabrio. Please advise if I should order the kit from NM and get the installation done or go with Perzan Audio Philly($1900 for parts and labor)? Thank you in advance.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:07 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by udaykiran0
Hi Guys, do you know of anyone who can do the install in NJ. I reached out to Perzan Audio in Philly and they were pushing a system that they say are sourcing form the same manufacturer of NM system. And they quoted me $1900 for the system installation along with a backup camera on a 2014 C4S Cabrio. Please advise if I should order the kit from NM and get the installation done or go with Perzan Audio Philly($1900 for parts and labor)? Thank you in advance.

The kit that Nick (NM) sells is priced around $500 US, and the backup camera at $50. Last month Nick informed me he now has the wireless CarPlay system. If you can get the CarPlay system around the same price I would encourage you to shop around. I personally feel that $1400 for labor is too high.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:18 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Falco
Hi all,

I'm looking for a shop to help with carplay install; anyone in the Bay Area/CA have any recommendations?

Thanks
It's not super hard to do, I live in the Bay area and can offer help if you get stuck. But it's a pretty straight forward install IMO. The hardest part is the wire management, there isn't much space for all the extra stuff.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:50 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

I changed from Nick's CarPlay unit (Unichip) to Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay. Here are my observations after about two weeks usage:

Joyeauto Cons:
1. Sound quality overall could be better. JoyeAuto says it has its own sound processor. Meh, I have the Burmester audio system and with some tweaks it’s ok. Just could be better overall in terms of fidelity.
2. When CarPlay is active and you use the control ****, the PCM processes those inputs in the background. So if you are on the nav screen and CarPlay activates, using the control **** will mess with your nav display, say zoom level or whatever you do. Might be a software problem/fix because I don’t remember the Unichip unit doing the same. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Joyeauto Pros:
1. Screen contrast is much better. Gamut / contrast on the Unichip box was sub-par and it was difficult to read apple maps which has white streets on very light background. Contrast / color are excellent with Joyeauto - looks OEM.
2. Cables are long enough to tug the unit behind the passenger carpet near the firewall - much easier to install that way.
3. Backup camera works great, parking sensor overlay is nicer and easier to read with Joyeauto.
4. No issues with wireless, rock solid connection every time. Has not failed once to initiate connection after starting the car.
5. Switches to CarPlay automatically after a few seconds without touching any buttons.

I am definitely keeping the Joyeauto unit installed. With the exception of the two cons listed above, it is almost as good as an OEM system. In all happy I did the switch.

If anyone has questions let me know, happy to elaborate on any of the pros / cons / other observations.
The following 4 users liked this post by RYE:
CarreraFahrer (12-30-2019), Noah Fect (11-10-2019), Porsche Rebel (01-07-2020), r00t61 (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 02:01 PM
IAHAWK5
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Car Play Switch

Originally Posted by RYE
I changed from Nick's CarPlay unit (Unichip) to Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay. Here are my observations after about two weeks usage:

Joyeauto Cons:
1. Sound quality overall could be better. JoyeAuto says it has its own sound processor. Meh, I have the Burmester audio system and with some tweaks it’s ok. Just could be better overall in terms of fidelity.
2. When CarPlay is active and you use the control ****, the PCM processes those inputs in the background. So if you are on the nav screen and CarPlay activates, using the control **** will mess with your nav display, say zoom level or whatever you do. Might be a software problem/fix because I don’t remember the Unichip unit doing the same. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Joyeauto Pros:
1. Screen contrast is much better. Gamut / contrast on the Unichip box was sub-par and it was difficult to read apple maps which has white streets on very light background. Contrast / color are excellent with Joyeauto - looks OEM.
2. Cables are long enough to tug the unit behind the passenger carpet near the firewall - much easier to install that way.
3. Backup camera works great, parking sensor overlay is nicer and easier to read with Joyeauto.
4. No issues with wireless, rock solid connection every time. Has not failed once to initiate connection after starting the car.
5. Switches to CarPlay automatically after a few seconds without touching any buttons.

I am definitely keeping the Joyeauto unit installed. With the exception of the two cons listed above, it is almost as good as an OEM system. In all happy I did the switch.

If anyone has questions let me know, happy to elaborate on any of the pros / cons / other observations.
I’d be interested in your “pros”/“cons” on Nick’s car play kit
Old 11-09-2019, 11:25 PM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RYE

Joyeauto Cons:

Joyeauto Pros:

did you have to open the PCM unit again or were the connections compatible with NM board that was installed inside?
Old 11-10-2019, 03:11 PM
afilipchik
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Just got joyeauto from AliExpress and attempted the install. Wasn’t too hard, except the fact that it almost drained the battery after sitting for 4 days. Had to jump start it.

Did anyone have a problem like that?

Another question, the unit comes with ACC cable with a fuse. Support told me to plug it in the the driver side fuse box, replacing PCM unit’s fuse. Is it a right place? Can this be the case of drain? If yes, what are other options?
Old 11-10-2019, 03:35 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by afilipchik

Another question, the unit comes with ACC cable with a fuse. Support told me to plug it in the the driver side fuse box, replacing PCM unit’s fuse. Is it a right place? Can this be the case of drain? If yes, what are other options?
That sounds like the cause of the battery issue to me. Why does the fuse need to be replaced and why is it grabbing power from that location? That seems insane, to me. I can only speak to the NM Automotive kit, but it grabs 12V power from the same source as the PCM, and thus, it's not constantly drawing battery power as the PCM turns itself off after a short period of time when the vehicle isn't on.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1