Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 10:49 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gravord
I bought the NM Auto wireless carplay system from Nick, and I highly recommend it. One issue I've had is placement of the microphone. I tried to install it next to the steering wheel per the instructions, but I can't fit seem to fit my hands there. Does anyone have tips on the microphone installation?
Refer to the picture: I placed the mic to the right side of the steering column. I used a wire hanger to guide and fish the mic from the backside of the PCM mounting compartment. First I used painters tape to mask the area on top of the steering column and some microfiber towels. I first bend the tip of the wire back to create a blunt point to mitigate potential marring. I then took the plug end of the microphone and secured it to the hanger wire with tape and gently guided the wire hanger by the driver side mesh PCM compartment. I guided wire towards the back end of the PCM mounting compartment, (You may need to bend the wire in a slight arc form for better manipulation. Lastly, clean the area with IPA where you plan to mount the microphone for better adhesion.

Micro Microphone
Old 04-02-2020, 10:53 AM
gravord
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2020, 08:21 AM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can anyone show more pics/ideas on how to hide the joyeauto box? I think it wont fit under the air con unit. Anyone got tips on how to hide it on the passenger side? Also any tips on routing the red cable to the fusebox?
Old 04-03-2020, 02:19 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasjeet Suri
Can anyone show more pics/ideas on how to hide the joyeauto box? I think it wont fit under the air con unit. Anyone got tips on how to hide it on the passenger side? Also any tips on routing the red cable to the fusebox?
Pull back the carpet on the passenger side, there is a big bundle of wires I put the box to the right of that.

The fusebox wire ends up being a bit short. I ran it right under the glove box, there is a cardboard type cover for the HVAC, I pulled that down, ran the cable up there and down to the fuse box. The carpet cover on the box pulls out towards the BACK of the car, with velcro on the front back of it. So pull the back (font of car) towards the center console, once the Velcro is off, slide the cover towards the back of the car, there is a snap on top that goes up towards the A pillar, and a long guide on the bottom. It's a little PITA.
The following users liked this post:
Jasjeet Suri (04-03-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 06:41 AM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Pull back the carpet on the passenger side, there is a big bundle of wires I put the box to the right of that.

The fusebox wire ends up being a bit short. I ran it right under the glove box, there is a cardboard type cover for the HVAC, I pulled that down, ran the cable up there and down to the fuse box. The carpet cover on the box pulls out towards the BACK of the car, with velcro on the front back of it. So pull the back (font of car) towards the center console, once the Velcro is off, slide the cover towards the back of the car, there is a snap on top that goes up towards the A pillar, and a long guide on the bottom. It's a little PITA.
How do I remove the carpet?

I also saw an option to fit it above the cold air bulkhead, which looks to come off with 5 clips. Any one do that?

When passing the cables through from the centre console to behind the glovebox, do I need to do anything specific or is it just a matter of feeding them through?

Last edited by Jasjeet Suri; 04-04-2020 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:55 AM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts

I followed this video (5:20) for hiding the Carplay box (left footwell next to fusebox). I zip tied it in place. Great area because if you need to get at the Carplay box you don't need to take out the whole dash again.

I put the mic to the right of the steering wheel stalk like Sidvicous7. Much easier to run the cables there than overhead. Sound quality seems to be ok in that location.
Jasjeet Suri (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 01:11 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

I also saw an option to fit it above the cold air bulkhead, which looks to come off with 5 clips. Any one do that?

When passing the cables through from the centre console to behind the glovebox, do I need to do anything specific or is it just a matter of feeding them through?
You just pull the carpet from the top out towards you. Nothing is holding it in place but the shape of it. On the cables, you just route them behind the carpet. It will be obvious once the carpet is pulled back.

Not idea what the "cold air bulkhead" is.
Jasjeet Suri (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 09:37 PM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 911TurboRules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Hs...3&index=9&t=0s

I followed this video (5:20) for hiding the Carplay box (left footwell next to fusebox). I zip tied it in place. Great area because if you need to get at the Carplay box you don't need to take out the whole dash again.

I put the mic to the right of the steering wheel stalk like Sidvicous7. Much easier to run the cables there than overhead. Sound quality seems to be ok in that location.
i got to do it a bit different since my car has steering on right, fuse box on left. I’m going to try under the carpet on glove box side.

diagram for passenger side carpet

Last edited by Jasjeet Suri; 04-05-2020 at 03:05 PM.
KeithA (07-11-2024)
Old 04-08-2020, 12:35 PM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

I fitted it all today, was pretty simple!
Some pics to show what it looked like, and how i routed the cables to the passenger footwell, under the carpet.

Before

Make sure to enable this option, my Carplay audio didnt work. To get to this menu, connect via bluetooth to the PCM and select AUX - BT, then Options.

Config screen

Fuse box trim pops off

carpet pulls away

all in!
Old 04-08-2020, 04:25 PM
James McGrath
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool DIY Video - Step by Step - from AutoAmateur

Enjoy!
desmotesta (04-09-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 04:33 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

I had to trim my bulkhead with scissors because the carpet bulges slightly with the unit behind there. Replacement part is inexpensive.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:42 PM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

Here is a video of it in action. I tried to show best i can how the original PCM is all there, and CarPlay is seamless.

Watch with subtitles to see my comments.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:28 PM
Ben M
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7

That’s a great idea TsaiCo. What is so ironic while conducting the install at TsaiCo home yesterday a fellow 50th owner I met almost four years ago at the Auto Club Race Way happened to be walking his dog and stopped to chat. He has also expressed interest in the CarPlay Kit. Keep me posted TsaiCo.

Thanks for all the useful tips and info @Sidvicious7 Other than you helping other forum members install the kit, do you know a place that installs these for someone like me that does not want to attempt this by himself? I ordered my kit from Nick at NM Automotive (per your recommendation) earlier today and it will be shipped tomorrow. Excited to add this to my 911.1 Turbo Cab!
Old 04-13-2020, 10:15 AM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

Here is one bug/issue with the joyeauto unit. It is running when you hit Navi. So when you use the right **** on the stereo for scoll/navigation and confirmation of items in the UI, it is also controlling the PCM Nav in the background. So, I ended up setting the PCM Nav to direct me somewhere whilst using CarPlay. To get over this, i muted the PCM Nav's voice, so even if the PCM Nav engages whilst using CarPlay, you wont know/hear it. If you use touch screen, then its all OK. But for some items its much easier to use the PCM Stereo **** to navigate, since the PCM 3.1 touch screen is pretty crap.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:58 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Here is one bug/issue with the joyeauto unit. It is running when you hit Navi. So when you use the right **** on the stereo for scoll/navigation and confirmation of items in the UI, it is also controlling the PCM Nav in the background. So, I ended up setting the PCM Nav to direct me somewhere whilst using CarPlay. To get over this, i muted the PCM Nav's voice, so even if the PCM Nav engages whilst using CarPlay, you wont know/hear it. If you use touch screen, then its all OK. But for some items its much easier to use the PCM Stereo **** to navigate, since the PCM 3.1 touch screen is pretty crap.

Mine does not do that.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1