Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 07:52 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
OK! So here we are, with the Erisin unit fully installed along with a back up camera. About 1 hour for the whole deal. Not bad at all!
Outstanding!

1. What EQ settings are everyone running? I personally think "Jazz" sounds the best but i did lower the bass some more.. things thumpy.. classic Bose.
I tend to change them according to what I am listening to. You can access the EQ screen immediately by just pushing the right-side **** (or I can anyway - assume yours is the same).

2. Is there a Way to ONLY use wired carplay to get the best possible sound quality? This one stumped me because i routed the 2 (USB2/USB3) cables into the glove box and well, carplay wouldnt work unless it was wireless. I prefer wired.
You have to connect the phone to the car's OEM USB connector. In our Cayman it is in the glove box - yours may be someplace else. As soon as you plug in, Car[Play should appear. Bear in mind I know zip about Apple, but that is how it works on Android Auto so I am guessing it is the same. Bear in mind that the car OEM USB may not have enough juice to charge the phone fully while running CarPaly at the same time, so your phone's battery may slowly discharge.

3. With the backup camera. I used both the Cam Pwr (green i think) wire and the Green (Bk CAM) RCA input. Now truth be told, i tested it in not the best lighting, however, im wondering if on my camera, i have to tap into a 12 volt source as there are Red/Black wires that are near the camera itself. (Theyre currently not connected to anything, but the camera still works.) Im wondering if there is an internal setting somewhere that could better the quality, or i should run 12v to those two wires maybe via the tail light harness?.
Your backup camera is running off the CANBUS. You don't need to connect any more wires (and it is not recommended to hook into the reverse light circuit anyway as that is now 'old school' and can cause its own issues). If the camera is showing an image when you go into reverse, it is working OK. If the image itself is grainy etc, then you may have a) a poor camera with lowish resolution or b) you may need to change the camera settings. How you do this will depend on your camera, but on mine, there is a settings icon on the screen you see when backing up.

5. No sound out of rear speakers. Now, my assumption with this is that because im using a Left and right ONLY (2 channel) MOST box, that the rear are NOT getting any signal because well, there's nothing plugged into it. (This is NOT the end of the world, but if there was a way to fix this/get a better box, im all ears.)
You can get sound from the rear speakers, but it will only be a 'copy' of the sound from the front L&R as the MOST box is 2-channel. Go into the sound settings and look for the screen where you can set the DSP etc. Here you will find a fader. Play with the fader so that you get most sound from the front speakers and some sound from the rears. That's how I have mine set as I like a bit more 'three dimensionality' to the sound. There are rumours of a 4-channel Russian MOST box, but I have tried to find one without success. In any case, if the HU only outputs 2-ch, I can't see the point.

6. Not sure if this brightness setting thing pertains to this, but the colored lights on the display, why are they so damn bright at night? The screen dims fine at night but man, the "Button lights" are just so damn bright.
This is the 'bright lights issue'. Andy refers to it in his reply. You need to apply the CANBUS software update to fix it. Instructions are just back a little in the thread. If you mean the 'panel lights' on the HU itself, you can adjust screen and panel brightness in settings. But you must do the canbus update to fix over-brightness in the OEM warning lights etc.

Overall, i give it a 7.5 out of 10. If i can fix all of the above, that would be fantastic and would probably make it a solid 9.. for $400 shipped + $40 for a backup camera, this was a great success.
Agreed! A great way of 'modernising' the car.

Last edited by ZedZed; 04-04-2024 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:10 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

4.Siri does not hear me, but car play phone calls work flawlessly. I did NOT use the supplied mic with the unit. But it seems like the front or maybe built in mic works great on the phone call. Siri just tells me to GFMS.
If you use Waze or Maps for nav, you may have to go into the Settings and tell it which voice assistant you want to use. You will need to select Siri. Also, somewhere in the HU settings, there is a place where you have to tell the HU how to use voice assistant. I recall having to download Google Assistant to the HU to get 'ok Google' to work for me. Maybe you have to do the same with Apple? Just a thought.
The following users liked this post:
RwdConnor (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 10:54 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

@ZedZed

Thanks so much for the reply.

-Ok ill look into the Canbus update here shortly!
-Noted about the camera, i mean it works, im just begging at this point haha.
-Ill check the DSP settings. Again, the sound is still great out of the unit, so thats a plus!
-I tried plugging the cable into the OEM USB in the glove box and nothing happened.. hmmmm
Old 04-04-2024, 11:59 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

@ZedZed

Thanks so much for the reply.

-Ok ill look into the Canbus update here shortly!
-Noted about the camera, i mean it works, im just begging at this point haha.
-Ill check the DSP settings. Again, the sound is still great out of the unit, so thats a plus!
-I tried plugging the cable into the OEM USB in the glove box and nothing happened.. hmmmm

You're welcome! When my wife brings her Cayman home from work, I'll have a look and give you the settings fo the DSP fader thing.

No idea why plugging in to the OEM doesn't give you wired Carplay. But then I know SFA about Apple stuff and just assumed it would work the same way as Android Auto. What's nice about the way AA does it is that I can plug my phone into my wife's Cayman and get all my own Android Auto stuff instantly, with all my settings, apps, music etc, and she can do the same in my Panamera if she plugs her phone into that car's OEM USB. It makes it real easy to swap cars and still have our own AA setups without all the faff of disabling Bluetooth so the 'wrong' phone doesn't connect or pairing mine or her phone etc each time we swap cars.

Someone who has CarPlay should be able to chime in and explain how to get wired working. If your main reason for not using wireless is that you feel you will get better sound quality with wired, you won't. CarPlay and AA use wifi for music not bluetooth so the SQ is as good as home streaming and if you have a hi-res streaming service, you won't get better by wiring in your phone. Bluetooth with CP and AA is only used to make the initial connection - once connected data is streamed via wifi. I would agree with you if the music was streamed via BT, but it isn't.
The following users liked this post:
RwdConnor (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 12:08 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZedZed
You're welcome! When my wife brings her Cayman home from work, I'll have a look and give you the settings fo the DSP fader thing.

No idea why plugging in to the OEM doesn't give you wired Carplay. But then I know SFA about Apple stuff and just assumed it would work the same way as Android Auto. What's nice about the way AA does it is that I can plug my phone into my wife's Cayman and get all my own Android Auto stuff instantly, with all my settings, apps, music etc, and she can do the same in my Panamera if she plugs her phone into that car's OEM USB. It makes it real easy to swap cars and still have our own AA setups without all the faff of disabling Bluetooth so the 'wrong' phone doesn't connect or pairing mine or her phone etc each time we swap cars.

Someone who has CarPlay should be able to chime in and explain how to get wired working. If your main reason for not using wireless is that you feel you will get better sound quality with wired, you won't. CarPlay and AA use wifi for music not bluetooth so the SQ is as good as home streaming and if you have a hi-res streaming service, you won't get better by wiring in your phone. Bluetooth with CP and AA is only used to make the initial connection - once connected data is streamed via wifi. I would agree with you if the music was streamed via BT, but it isn't.
Interesting, however i do still have thoughts on the wired vs wireless.

(Take this lightly, im no engineer)

My assumption is that Wired, no matter WHAT situation, will always provide a better quality. Think analog stereo setups, perhaps using tube amps/DACs, etc. The quality over wireless is limited by whatever wifi module they use. My assumption is that in all my previous cars, wired has always provided me with noticeable sound differences vs wireless. (This is me being extremely nitpicky on the topic lol)

Truth be told, the audio sounded great last night when i was sitting in the car for about 2 hours just playing with the unit (Havent had an android unit since the early mk6 vw days... good ol EONON)

The fun part about having an android is that it brings me back to the iphone jailbreaking days, can do whatever i want and customize it.. fun.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:21 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

^^^^

If your earlier cars were streaming via BT then the sound would definitely be inferior to wired. But hi-res modern streaming services like Tidal etc are superior to CD quality, and in a car environment that is more than enough IMO.

HST, wired ought to work for you, so hopefully an Apple user can chime in.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:55 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZedZed
^^^^

If your earlier cars were streaming via BT then the sound would definitely be inferior to wired. But hi-res modern streaming services like Tidal etc are superior to CD quality, and in a car environment that is more than enough IMO.

HST, wired ought to work for you, so hopefully an Apple user can chime in.
Honestly man im just being nit picky on things that dont really matter due to the 3.8 just a couple feet behind me lol.

I did however, go and try to update the Canbus via wifi and it was greyed out. Im assuming maybe my unit came with the newest latest and greatest.

Tried to find the DSP settings (i couldnt) hmmm
Old 04-04-2024, 03:18 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Honestly man im just being nit picky on things that dont really matter due to the 3.8 just a couple feet behind me lol.
Haha. Yeah, that sorts most things out for sure

I did however, go and try to update the Canbus via wifi and it was greyed out. Im assuming maybe my unit came with the newest latest and greatest.
Could be since your unit is newer than ours.

Tried to find the DSP settings (i couldnt) hmmm
Go the Equaliser first.

Then hit the surround tab

Then the sound field tab

Then play around with the controls and see what you get.

Old 04-04-2024, 04:33 PM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you lose the native TPMS when you switch to the Erisin unit?
Old 04-04-2024, 05:08 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c615586
Do you lose the native TPMS when you switch to the Erisin unit?
No.

EDIT: to elaborate - the multifunction display (MFD) to the right of the tacho continues to work as before. You will still be able to get the TPMS display there. Also, you will be able to see the 'vitals' info for temp, pressure etc, and the trip screens, plus sport chrono if you have it. What you will lose from the MFD are the functions that came from the PCM 3.1 - satnav, radio station info and call info, because the PCM will, of course, no longer be connected!

Last edited by ZedZed; 04-05-2024 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:27 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Ok well the rear speakers do in fact work haha. Theyre just alot quieter than the fronts (i mean... duh)

Just spent about an hour driving around with the car play and back up camera and it has totally changed the feel of the car, for the better.
I didnt HATE the stock PCM, but the ability to have carplay and a backup camera is such a must for me after leaving my 2018 Audi S4.. still adjusting
I have no regrets with the Unit at this point, truthfully, I do however, still wish i could use wired car play.. Wireless basically stops me from being able to look something up in a parking lot on my phone because its using the wifi signal from the unit.. Grrr

Anyone want a BRAND NEW Isudar 3.1 PCM kit.. its like $60 to send it back haha
Old 04-05-2024, 07:08 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Ok well the rear speakers do in fact work haha. Theyre just alot quieter than the fronts (i mean... duh)

Just spent about an hour driving around with the car play and back up camera and it has totally changed the feel of the car, for the better.
I didnt HATE the stock PCM, but the ability to have carplay and a backup camera is such a must for me after leaving my 2018 Audi S4.. still adjusting
I have no regrets with the Unit at this point, truthfully, I do however, still wish i could use wired car play.. Wireless basically stops me from being able to look something up in a parking lot on my phone because its using the wifi signal from the unit.. Grrr

Anyone want a BRAND NEW Isudar 3.1 PCM kit.. its like $60 to send it back haha
I'm sure that CarPlay must be able to work in wired configuration. There are a ton of users with these units and using Carplay and surely someone must have tried wired? They can't all be using wireless?

Your alternative of course is to use the HU in 'native' format, where you download your apps onto the HU directly from the Google Play store and run everything from your Launcher of choice (CarWebGuru is my favourite, Agama is Andy's - there are others too). This has various benefits: you get the full version of the apps, not the cut-down Carplay versions; you can watch YouTube, Prime, Netflix etc (when you're parked up waiting for someone, obvs); you can run a browser on the HU, along with any apps that you can download from the Play Stire; you can use your phone in the parking lot, as normal.

To use the HU in this way, you will need to turn off CarPlay (or it will try to grab the BT and wifi connections) and then establish a hotspot on your phone for the wifi connection. I have automated this using an automation app like Tasker (there are several others) so that as soon as the phone's BT detects the car's BT, it turns on the hotspot. Establish a connection between your HU and the hotspot the first time, and ever after it will fire up the wifi on the HU every time the hotspot comes near, all automatically. You can set the HU to run your favourite navigation app automatically too, so by the time you have settled into your seat and put your seatbelt on, everything is up and running. Everything will be running directly off the HU if you go this way - no need to wire (or wireless) your phone at all. In fact, no need for a phone if you put a SIM into the HU.

The above is how my wife uses her HU. I was surprised because I would have thought that she would prefer the simplicity of Android Auto, but she prefers the full versions of the app and has no problem with switching between navigation, DAB (satellite) radio and YouTube Music. In my Panamera, I use Android Auto as the widescreen unit in there lends itself nicely to the AA format. Give it a try - you may prefer it.

(Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs above - if you are into jailbreaking/rooting phones, I am sure you don't need instructions on how to set up a hotspot LOL! I try to give a full rundown for the benefit of others who may not have your knowledge).
Old 04-05-2024, 07:59 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

@RwdConnor Does your original USB work e.g. connect to the head unit if you insert something basic like a memory stick? Just to make sure the USB is actually alive and working...
Old 04-05-2024, 08:10 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
@RwdConnor Does your original USB work e.g. connect to the head unit if you insert something basic like a memory stick? Just to make sure the USB is actually alive and working...
Good point, @RwdConnor - did you connect the yellow OEM FAKRA plug that originally went into the PCM into the connector on the Erisin HU?

Here's two images that show what I mean.

PCM - see yellow Fakra for USB:

Plug that yellow USB connector from the PCM into the HU where marked:

That's an easy one to miss. I don't think it's in any instructions anywhere. No need for an adapter cable - the OEM yellow Fakra plugs right in.

This could explain why wired CP isn't working LOL.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:56 AM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

See this is why i love forums and have used them for almost 2 decades... I never plugged that FAKRA cable in.... Let me do that and test!

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1