Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017 | 03:57 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K-A
I also think your #3 scenario may be reasonable logic. I feel like anything more “raw” and purity-considered will see more owners tracking. 997’s are probably more prevalent on tracks than 991’s I’d think (though 991’s sold considerably more, which then could actually raise the percentage of 997’s tracked to 997’s sold), air cooled Porsche’s even considering their age I imagine are still prevalent at most tracks, etc.
Yes you're right about that. I definitely do see more 997s and also 996s. 996/7 owners' attitude towards the 991 guys are similar to how 991.1 guys see 991.2 owners, which is also similar to the manual vs PDK discussion, and the air-cooled vs water-cooled, the list goes on, it's a recurring theme.

You know it's funny you said that about the air-cooled cars. I think you would've been correct let's say 5-7 years ago. While I do run into some air-cooled cars on track, I think their numbers are rapidly decreasing. They appreciated so astronomically in the last several years that you're now financially much better off converting your air-cooled track car back to stock and selling and/or preserving it. With that money you can buy a 997 GT3 and a trailer. So I think the air-cooled era on track is close to being over.

Originally Posted by K-A
Yeah, tracking is all about driver. All this talk about .1 vs .2; a good driver in a .1 base will spank a bad or even average driver in a .2 S. Civilian-pro drivers in Macan S’s have waxed weakly driven 911’s on tracks.
Yeah, big time. Really adds a lot of perspective to these whose car is better discussions.
Old 11-04-2017 | 03:58 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by surquhar
You are right. And quite frankly I'm disappointed in myself for letting anything on a forum get to me. I do apologize to R-Rated, I was out of line.
I do understand that personal attacks are not where we want to resort to but it is a frustrating time on this forum in particular due to some of the inflammatory, insulting, remarks made here regarding posts by the .2 or .1 community.

I will say though as a former .1 owner a lot of the insults flung by a chosen few have come from .1 owners primarily. The vacuum cleaner comment is tiresome and overdone. This is a forum for owners of $100K plus cars which should mean most of us are older than the 12 year old sniping seems to show.

There isn’t a bad car discussed on this forum just different cars with different characteristics. We should be discussing the difference in Power band, acceleration, driving characteristics, mods and maintenance vs “sounds like a vacuum or it isn’t a real Porsche.

When you have to set up “Rage Free Threads” the problem is already out of hand and simple apologies don’t mend the resentment.

If the Porsche Turbo forum was even slightly more active than it currently is I’d be hanging there to avoid the behavior here. But I know a lot of members here from spending years on this forum whose feedback I respect so it’s truly a shame this is where we are.

First thing a moderator should do when they see a rage free thread is close it.
Old 11-04-2017 | 04:00 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I do understand that personal attacks are not where we want to resort to but it is a frustrating time on this forum in particular due to some of the inflammatory, insulting, remarks made here regarding posts by the .2 or .1 community.

I will say though as a former .1 owner a lot of the insults flung by a chosen few have come from .1 owners primarily. The vacuum cleaner comment is tiresome and overdone. This is a forum for owners of $100K plus cars which should mean most of us are older than the 12 year old sniping seems to show.

There isn’t a bad car discussed on this forum just different cars with different characteristics. We should be discussing the difference in Power band, acceleration, driving characteristics, mods and maintenance vs “sounds like a vacuum or it isn’t a real Porsche.

When you have to set up “Rage Free Threads” the problem is already out of hand and simple apologies don’t mend the resentment.

If the Porsche Turbo forum was even slightly more active than it currently is I’d be hanging there to avoid the behavior here. But I know a lot of members here from spending years on this forum whose feedback I respect so it’s truly a shame this is where we are.

I still think it's pretty tame compared to BMW forums
Old 11-04-2017 | 04:04 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bemo
The .1 has less torque than a turtle
I think that’s an odd comparison, because while a turtle of course doesn’t produce a lot of torque in absolute terms because it’s a small animal, I bet it produces a lot more torques than it produces horsepowers.

Anyway I think a good-natured .1 vs .2 debate is healthy... compare a .1s to a .2 base so the speed is similar and you have real valid differences... the .1 has a sound advantage and some enjoy having to explore the revs to wring the speed out of it, the .2 has a torque advantage so power is more accessible and the electronics and more modern and steering is updated.

I think we just need to be careful to keep the debate about the real differences in the cars and away from calling each other idiots or their cars so slow or so poorly sounding or whatever so we can still have a valid civil discussion about the things that matter.
Old 11-04-2017 | 04:11 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by erko1905
Word.

This place is like prayer time in a monastery in comparison.
Old 11-04-2017 | 04:21 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Go!
Gratuitous, hurtful and unnecessary.

Old 11-04-2017 | 04:35 PM
K-A
Drifting

Go!
I’m offended!
Old 11-04-2017 | 04:38 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I think that’s an odd comparison, because while a turtle of course doesn’t produce a lot of torque in absolute terms because it’s a small animal, I bet it produces a lot more torques than it produces horsepowers.
That's a good catch and a very nuanced comment there. I agree a turtle is likely more proud of his/her/its torque than horsepower.

It made me think a 991 sized turtle would probably produce some mind blowing amounts of torque. Great for towing.
Old 11-04-2017 | 05:04 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

So as long as this is slightly more civilized than the Playpen you say the BMW forums are then it’s ok?
Then there is no hope.
Old 11-04-2017 | 05:16 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

I think the entire 911 line is amazing, no matter the model. That being said, in keeping with the fight club thread's stated purpose: I, for one, will only buy a turbocharged 911 if and when the Porsche configurator adds a "turbo whistle delete" option. Until that day comes - which will be never - long live the NA engine!
Old 11-04-2017 | 05:28 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Yeah it was driver related. Given it's the fight club thread, I figured i'd go there

Track is a weird place, sometimes it's very humbling, sometimes it's not. One day some race-prepped 993 w a huge wing and slicks flies by me, next day I'm passing a 991 Turbo S.
You'd pass me for sure then. I'm 180-190 brake hp for my track toy just don't come at me like you want to rub fenders haha. I will ALWAYS win that contest! My spec miata is 5 different colors on the body panels and I'm not afraid to make it 6.
Old 11-04-2017 | 05:37 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by tse
Gratuitous, hurtful and unnecessary.

Originally Posted by K-A
I’m offended!
My can kinda looks like a turtle from the side. A Ninja turtle that'll karate chop your @ss. haha.

Traded cars with a friend for some short commutes today.... He LOVED my old car and did mention that if he could have 2 that he would sell his #2 today and have a #1 as a weekend toy.

To do something in the #2 - I was impressed that you just mash the go pedal and you're off. There is absolutely some lag. Less than my old audi but more than my bimmer.

Back to having the new one for a daily and old one for special occasions is my opinion - echoed by my friend but needs something more mindless to drive while he's on conference calls. - his words not mine.
Old 11-04-2017 | 05:39 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Out of curiosity.... cliff notes on the TURBO .1 vs .2.... anything material outside of apple play?
Old 11-04-2017 | 05:49 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

So as long as this is slightly more civilized than the Playpen you say the BMW forums are then it’s ok?
Then there is no hope.
"Slightly"?

It's like Sunday school in here...
Old 11-04-2017 | 05:53 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Less awful ≠ good.

The 991 forum on RL has been anything but good or enjoyable for the last couple of weeks. It's been more like a playpen gone awry. Worse, the handful of folks who have been causing the problems seem unable to recognize their role in it. The few of us saying something probably represent many more who are equally frustrated—or have already left the forum and/or RL.

Originally Posted by surquhar
You are right. And quite frankly I'm disappointed in myself for letting anything on a forum get to me. I do apologize to R-Rated, I was out of line.
Yeah, it was out of line and I winced when I read it. Good on you for owning it and apologizing.

That said, I also understand where the anger came from—and have some trouble with root causes being recast as victims.

+991

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Out of curiosity.... cliff notes on the TURBO .1 vs .2.... anything material outside of apple play?
And this highlights the damage being inflicted on this whole forum due to these disorganized and inflammatory threads. You ask a great question. Unfortunately, it will be lost in a thread likely to either disappear or be locked. Even if it isn't, no one will find the question or answer.

Again, it's a great question. The answer in my view—after track days and 800-2500 miles on the street in both the 991.1 Turbo/S and 991.2 Turbo/S—is that the Turbo made a leap similar to the 991.2 Carrera/S/GTS in terms of handling/steering/etc. For those who only care about powar, the 991.2 Turbo is a bit more shove and Apple CarPlay. In other words, not worth it over the .1. For 911 customers who are at least as into handling precision and fun on curvy roads, the 991.2 Turbo is a big jump up...to the point that, where the 991.1 Turbo didn't do anything for me, I found myself actually wanting a 991.2 Turbo more than—brace yourself—a 991.1 GT3 RS (unless, of course, the car was to be primarily a track toy). The .2 Turbo shocked me with how much better it was, even on tiny back roads. Felt tidier, smaller, and more placeable than the 991.1 RS. More usable and thus ultimately more fun, too. Hard to describe here without writing an even longer response, but no, I wasn't expecting that, either. It was the first time since the 996 GT3 arrived where a 911 Turbo of any kind was good enough to get me leaning away from a GT3. The current base Turbo is stunningly good, and more fun than its predecessors had me expecting. Of course, now that the .2 GT3 MT is out, it's another ballgame again...

YMMV!

Last edited by stout; 11-04-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread