Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:05 AM
trayvon
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

See I had more fun in a 991.1 base than in a 991.1 S - that is how I know the 991.2 isn't for me.

I don't want all that torque to come so easy, I like having to wring that beautiful engine out.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go back to slaving away so I can hopefully one day afford one
Old 11-03-2017, 01:52 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
If you re read my previous threads : " I view the 991.1 as the very last step of the 911 evolution that doesn't involve what I feel is major step backwards and further away from the pure driving and long and happy ownership experience that many 911's owners have enjoyed in the past... "

Why no 997? Simple, while I 100% agree that it offers a purer 911 experience I also wanted a newer car with virtually no mileage and after looking nationwide extensively at both 997.1's and the elusive .2's I came to the conclusion that I would never find a base Carrera that fit my search parameters.

Why no 981? Also simple, while I 100% agree that they are a blast to drive and less power = more street fun. Unfortunately I'm not a huge fan of the way they look and greatly prefer the 911's green house as well as the overall aesthetics and heritage ( I have been coming up through the ranks of 911's for nearly 18 years and grew up with posters of them all over my walls , sorry but history is important to me....) .

I also prefer the 911's slightly better engine access ( being able to always work outside the car rather than sometimes within) and serviceability is important to me.

BELIEVE ME : IF I could go back in time and pull out a brand new example of my old 88 Carrera I wouldn't even be here on this fight club post....

Next up your " better engagement due to mid engine " comment is highly subjective and I do not agree with that all. Both offer different and awesome driving experiences and the rear engine feel is something I actually love.

Lastly a quote from the urban dictonary :
Armchair Expert =
Someone who claims to know all the answers to a problem, situation or scenario but has little or no experience or real understanding of it. Usually found on internet forums or writing in the letters section of tabloid newspapers. When faced with educated people who disassemble their argument with facts, they often state they learned their experience at the "University of life".

This is referring mainly to all the causal enthusiast owners that sop up and all the latest specs and Porsche marketing hype of the new models which is how we end up with cars being sold at face value ( the main focus of marketing) with little consideration about things like longevity / serviceability / driving experience etc....
Thanks for taking the words right out of my mouth. To summarize your post, you bought the .1 due to a series of personal reasoning. It's never black and white. Yet for some reason, you went ahead and categorized all .2 owners as "armchair experts". Have you thought about these owners going through similar decision making process that you did? There are plenty of .2 owners who are car enthusiasts who have owned or still own cars you would dream to have.

Trolls on the internet gotta realize just because you appreciate something, you don't need to downplay someone else's decision to make your decision look 2x better.

If its just black and white like you're putting it out to be, like mentioned before, any 997 or older gen porsche owners should be able come in here and call you a "armchair expert" and tell you to STFU until you get a "real" car. Too bad most of them are more mature than people like you.

BTW, i don't own a 911 right now. Actually in the process of deciding between a new .2 GTS or a CPO .1 myself, and found this forum really helpful. The funny thing is you never see .2 owners talk ANYTHING bad to people who just bought used .1 cars. But i'm so sick of .1 owners trying to downplay the newer car and talking **** to their owners. Seriously, fart jokes? Or trying to desperately justify their purchase by saying "yes the slower your 911 the better it is". lawl. Grow the f*** up.

Last edited by basic666; 11-03-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:30 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666

BTW, i don't own a 911 right now. Actually in the process of deciding between a new .2 GTS or a CPO .1 myself, and found this forum really helpful. The funny thing is you never see .2 owners talk ANYTHING bad to people who just bought used .1 cars. But i'm so sick of .1 owners trying to downplay the newer car and talking **** to their owners. Seriously, fart jokes? Or trying to desperately justify their purchase by saying "yes the slower your 911 the better it is". lawl. Grow the f*** up.
I also found this forum helpful in my decision as it helped me answer questions the test drives couldn't. Coming from a sport bike and 1M I thought the .2 base would have been the one but for some reason the .1 MT put the widest smile on my face (I know because I measured it). The linear power/high revs and ridiculous handling capabilities clinched it for me. there's no doubt the .2 is faster, it felt that way in the same way my tuned 1M did, I guess I just wanted something different.

Listening to everyone here bicker about .1 vs .2 is truly comical given how awesome all 911s are in their own way. I guess some just control their human nature (justifying their choices) better than others.

Apart from a rather irritated wife I'm in delighted with this car, more so than any other toy I have ever had.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:32 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, the sound of the 991.1 from inside the cabin is pretty lame. The induction sound coming through the sound symposer is so annoying I plugged it up. Unfortunately, the 991.2 sound symposer has 2 pipes.

When I had the top down in my 991.1 cab and the sound symposer plugged, the sound from inside was pretty sweet.

Next to rev matching, the sound symposer is the 991’s lamest feature.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:46 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by crossroads
Actually, the sound of the 991.1 from inside the cabin is pretty lame. The induction sound coming through the sound symposer is so annoying I plugged it up. Unfortunately, the 991.2 sound symposer has 2 pipes.

When I had the top down in my 991.1 cab and the sound symposer plugged, the sound from inside was pretty sweet.

Next to rev matching, the sound symposer is the 991’s lamest feature.
Sharkwerks X Pipe makes the sound symposer a non issue.

TBH, I didn't even now if my symposer worked until I toggled the modes on the highway with windows up and RPM's over 3-4K. My exhaust is too loud to notice it inside the cabin during normal driving. I actually like it anyway, and obviously the reason they did it is because the 991 is so quiet inside, especially with a stock exhaust. .2 got an extra symposer because it's even more quiet. An issue I have with the 2.'s symposers is that they give much a different idea of how the car sounds than what's being heard outside. MT's review of the .2 (base, I think) outlines this pretty well, being that inside you don't hear any turbos, just pure (albeit muted) flat six induction, while outside you hear the turbo whistles overpowering everything else and not much mechanical clatter.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:22 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
it’s more than that. Super chargers are belt driven. They are always “on” and turbos spoil when you mash the go pedal and only work when you ask them to.
Thats exactly what Worf said
Old 11-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Modern cars have clutched super chargers.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:47 AM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know what everyone's complaining about the sound of any generation of the 991..

I'm currently driving a Guards Red, 718 Cayman S loaner right now and to be honestly, I am shocked by how coarse the motor sounds in this thing.

Its very buzzy and rough, its really not pleasant inside the cabin.

I was also surprised by how much louder it is in cabin than the 991. I mean, it has to be a good 30% louder than the PSE when on in my .2 GTS.

On the positive side, it is pretty zippy, I was pleasantly surprised by that!
Old 11-03-2017, 10:51 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
I don't know what everyone's complaining about the sound of any generation of the 991..

I'm currently driving a Guards Red, 718 Cayman S loaner right now and to be honestly, I am shocked by how coarse the motor sounds in this thing.

Its very buzzy and rough, its really not pleasant inside the cabin.

I was also surprised by how much louder it is in cabin than the 991. I mean, it has to be a good 30% louder than the PSE when on in my .2 GTS.

On the positive side, it is pretty zippy, I was pleasantly surprised by that!

I noticed the same thing while test driving one and I believe it's because there's literally a speaker over your right shoulder playing the engine soundtrack of a Subaru WRX.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:54 AM
///M3THOD
Racer

Originally Posted by blepski
I noticed the same thing while test driving one and I believe the reason it is louder is because there is literally a speaker over your right shoulder playing an engine soundtrack from a Subaru WRX.
. It definitely has that boxer 4 lazy burble to it!
Old 11-03-2017, 10:58 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Modern cars have clutched super chargers.
I actually didn't know that. If my jag did then I never noticed.

I know that dodge demon sounds pretty sick with the combo of un-muted [turbo] exhaust and supercharger whine.

Not the sound I go for in my corner carver but still pretty epic:

Old 11-03-2017, 11:06 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 779 Likes on 344 Posts

The moral of the story is .2 owners love their .2 911's and .1 owners love theirs as much or more...... at least until they decide to buy a .2......
The following users liked this post:
dak911 (02-08-2023)
Old 11-03-2017, 11:07 AM
///M3THOD
Racer

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I actually didn't know that. If my jag did then I never noticed.

I know that dodge demon sounds pretty sick with the combo of un-muted [turbo] exhaust and supercharger whine.

Not the sound I go for in my corner carver but still pretty epic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7lkwa-0DCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnX3brDrCJw
Whats the advantage of the skinny tires on the front of the car?

Is it for when the average driver of a Dodge Demon looses control of the car he has the same tire tread width as on his kids Huffy to try to regain control of his car with?
Old 11-03-2017, 11:11 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by texascarlover
The moral of the story is .2 owners love their .2 911's and .1 owners love theirs as much or more...... at least until they decide to buy a .2......
Silly rabbit - its statements like that which make the other comments regarding "nobody ever says or insinuates anything bad about the #1 cars...." so ignorant and proves that just like politics, people read and comprehend what they want to and nothing more. Nobody will convince anyone of anything else. That's okay.

Some people decide to sell #2 because they know which car is #1 hahaha
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1030...o-991-1-a.html
Old 11-03-2017, 11:15 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
Whats the advantage of the skinny tires on the front of the car?

Is it for when the average driver of a Dodge Demon looses control of the car he has the same tire tread width as on his kids Huffy to try to regain control of his car with?

I don't know that much about drag racing but I believe they are track only. Seems a lot of the competition cars also subscribe to that?

The rivalry we [911] have with Porsche in the press would have much different outcomes if Porsche didn't sell their soul to Pirelli. Just like the Demon doing 0-60 in 2.3 seconds is dependent on tires, the acceleration and lateral G's stats would instantly improve with better tires on our cars - in any generation. Corvette was smart about this and the press stats do sell cars.

Quick Reply: 991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread