Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 11:33 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Good intentions noted, but merely seeing "991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread" when opening the forum is tiresome. So is seeing the same 4-5 individuals who keep the same echo chamber going (even if they have valid points and I agree in some cases). As for the vacuum cleaner video that "only comes out when," it isn't "an opposing viewpoint"—it's a stupid meme in video form. While I chuckled the first time, it's incendiary on this forum now. Apology duly accepted, R_Rated, and it's even more earnest (and appreciated) than before, but...

Can we just give the whole .1 vs .2 a rest for a while? Make that a very long while. Maybe it should become a 991 forum rule heralded as a "sticky." The risk of good contributors throwing up their hands and leaving this forum is very real, and I suspect their number exceeds the tiny band of players in the endless, mind-numbing .1 vs .2 debates.

All of these cars are great, and we are beyond fortunate to enjoy them. I wish everyone a good weekend!
Old 11-03-2017, 11:43 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Good intentions noted, but merely seeing "991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread" when opening the forum is tiresome. So is seeing the same 4-5 individuals who keep the same echo chamber going (even if they have valid points and I agree in some cases). As for the vacuum cleaner video that "only comes out when," it isn't "an opposing viewpoint"—it's a stupid meme in video form. While I chuckled the first time, it's incendiary on this forum now. Apology duly accepted, R_Rated, and it's even more earnest (and appreciated) than before, but...

Can we just give the whole .1 vs .2 a rest for a while? Make that a very long while. Maybe it should become a 991 forum rule heralded as a "sticky." The risk of good contributors throwing up their hands and leaving this forum is very real, and I suspect their number exceeds the tiny band of players in the endless, mind-numbing .1 vs .2 debates.

All of these cars are great, and we are beyond fortunate to enjoy them. I wish everyone a good weekend!
in all fairness there is a rage free 1v2 thread also
Old 11-03-2017, 11:51 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
This is kinda my point.

We now have useful threads being ruined and split into two, with new "rage-free" threads on the same subject splitting up information and probably duplicating it—all due to a few individuals who just can't resist the temptation to fight over .1 vs .2.

Point is, we shouldn't have to have "rage-free" and "Fight Club" threads. Those headings set the tone on this forum's home page, both for regular users as well as newcomers.

This forum has given the moderators more to read this weekend than they should have to, but if I were a mod, I'd be looking at deleting those threads wholesale, sending a few folks on long vacations, and setting some new guidelines for this forum since a few seem to be bent on wrecking it for everyone else.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:56 AM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

In all fairness - you are what people identify as a Porsche douchebag
Old 11-04-2017, 11:09 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by surquhar
When someone has to resort to personal comments like that - it's typically because they ran out of constructive things to say and know they are in the wrong.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:34 AM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

When someone has to resort to personal comments like that - it's typically because they ran out of constructive things to say and know they are in the wrong.
Nope just done with you.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:36 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Its interesting that the moderators let these personal attacks and/or criticisms continue. I guess this crap gets more views than talking about cars. Certainly not like the old Rennlist before he sold out and went corporate.

It may say more about the fact that these cars are so good and too new that all we have to talk about is color choice and allocations. We don't have to discuss leaky valve covers, clogged secondary air injectors, or DME relays. Or worse, intermediate shaft bearings or a leaky RMS.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:49 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

So far after 18 months of ownership my car was in the shop for a persistent chirping sound. During the work to fix that they found a weeping water pump so they replaced the pump too. Car was in the shop for a week and from the shop notes they spent a fair amount of time working on it. All fixed now and no charge to me because under warranty. Also there was that recall that replaced some screws that could corrode. All fine by me. 991.2 C2s. These cars are so complex these days that the work I have had done is pretty trivial IMO. Of course out of warranty it would have cost thousands.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by surquhar
Ok this was uncalled for. R Rated is passionate about certain things and this thread was an honest attempt to consolidate the somewhat uncivilized arguments, short of personal attacks, while cleaning up the rest of the threads and putting their respective topics back on track.

There’s nothing wrong with some jabs and good natured humour, to address gripes about our cars.

Your car sounds funny, mine is slow as molasses...blah blah. You’re not a douchebag and neither is R Rated or anyone else on this forum.

Have some fun but please don’t resort to name calling.

Else I’ll ask the moderators to close this thread.
Extra credit: apologise to R Rated for your poor choice of words.

I’ll take the opportunity to do the same, to those that may have been offended, my sincere apologies. We are all fortunate to drive 911s

Now back on topic:
The .2 does sound funny (less so with fabspeed headers). If I buy one I will let you ridicule me for eternity.
The .1 has less torque than a turtle

Go!
Old 11-04-2017, 01:15 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bemo
Ok this was uncalled for. R Rated is passionate about certain things and this thread was an honest attempt to consolidate the somewhat uncivilized arguments, short of personal attacks, while cleaning up the rest of the threads and putting their respective topics back on track.

There’s nothing wrong with some jabs and good natured humour, to address gripes about our cars.

Your car sounds funny, mine is slow as molasses...blah blah. You’re not a douchebag and neither is R Rated or anyone else on this forum.

Have some fun but please don’t resort to name calling.

Else I’ll ask the moderators to close this thread.
Extra credit: apologise to R Rated for your poor choice of words.

I’ll take the opportunity to do the same, to those that may have been offended, my sincere apologies. We are all fortunate to drive 911s

Now back on topic:
The .2 does sound funny (less so with fabspeed headers). If I buy one I will let you ridicule me for eternity.
The .1 has less torque than a turtle

Go!
You are right. And quite frankly I'm disappointed in myself for letting anything on a forum get to me. I do apologize to R-Rated, I was out of line.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:28 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

This season, through 15 track days or so, all NE tracks except VIR, I saw only two 991.2 Carreras at the track (both fairly slow). I thought it was a bit bizarre. 991.1s are pretty common. This made me think one of these:

1) 991.2s don't sell as well
2) 991.2s sell well, but they haven't been for sale long enough for enough of them to hit the track
3) 991.2 owners don't take their cars to track Don't know if there is a correlation between how much of a NA purist you are and how much you like racing circuits, but it sounds possible.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:35 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

sound
throttle response
less refined
less weight
better brakes(no #1 people on here bitching about inadequate brakes)
I was bitching about the 991.1 brakes, although not here, but that has an easy solution:

I'm fairly certain this setup can outbrake most stock 991s (#1 or #2)
Old 11-04-2017, 02:56 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
This season, through 15 track days or so, all NE tracks except VIR, I saw only two 991.2 Carreras at the track (both fairly slow). I thought it was a bit bizarre. 991.1s are pretty common. This made me think one of these:

1) 991.2s don't sell as well
2) 991.2s sell well, but they haven't been for sale long enough for enough of them to hit the track
3) 991.2 owners don't take their cars to track Don't know if there is a correlation between how much of a NA purist you are and how much you like racing circuits, but it sounds possible.
Funny, that came up in another thread. .2’s are selling considerably less than .1’s in U.S. 2013-2015 ranged from 8,200+-8,769 sales until October (to keep things on par with current sales). Peak was in 2014. 991.1’s last full calendar year (2015) sold around 8,500, while 2016 (first year of 991.2 sales) was about 7,400 at this time. And it has slightly declined from that a bit again this year (7,220). At the same time. .1 used sales have gone through the roof as the good ones sell instantly (as I so frustratingly found out whilst chasing them). What’s telling to me is that two straight YOY declines + benefitting the previous models resale has never happened when a new 911 comes out (or really any car). It’s also worth noting that Porsche (total) sales themselves are at their all time peak today, and have grown each of those years.

What’s odd is that .2’s were running fairly slow. I’d like to hope and imagine that those drivers weren’t up to snuff.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:10 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K-A
What’s odd is that .2’s were running fairly slow. I’d like to hope and imagine that those drivers weren’t up to snuff.
Yeah it was driver related. Given it's the fight club thread, I figured i'd go there

Track is a weird place, sometimes it's very humbling, sometimes it's not. One day some race-prepped 993 w a huge wing and slicks flies by me, next day I'm passing a 991 Turbo S.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:25 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Yeah it was driver related. Given it's the fight club thread, I figured i'd go there

Track is a weird place, sometimes it's very humbling, sometimes it's not. One day some race-prepped 993 w a huge wing and slicks flies by me, next day I'm passing a 991 Turbo S.
Haha, all in good fun.

I also think your #3 scenario may be reasonable logic. I feel like anything more “raw” and purity-considered will see more owners tracking. 997’s are probably more prevalent on tracks than 991’s I’d think (though 991’s sold considerably more, which then could actually raise the percentage of 997’s tracked to 997’s sold), air cooled Porsche’s even considering their age I imagine are still prevalent at most tracks, etc.

Yeah, tracking is all about driver. All this talk about .1 vs .2; a good driver in a .1 base will spank a bad or even average driver in a .2 S. Civilian-pro drivers in Macan S’s have waxed weakly driven 911’s on tracks.

Quick Reply: 991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread