Sponsored by:

991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 09:52 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
sound is very key! Cars are getting so fast now days that it’s just not as fun.
I had some of the best driving experiences of my life obliterating a rental Huracan because the sound was so intoxicating.

Faster Mclarens I've driven were nowhere near as exhilarating.

As for the .2, the first 4 seconds of this clip NAILS IT.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:11 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

need I say more
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2017, 10:28 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Both .1 & .2 cars are pretty quiet with the PSE, let alone stock exhaust.

I certainly wouldn't out a 991.anything on a top 10 list of my favorite exhaust notes. Admittedly sound is subjective but this whole argument has gotten so blown out of proportion in a 991 forum.

I wouldn't have bought a Porsche if all I was looking for a "soul" or and exotic exhaust/engine sound. I would have bought something from the Italians.

I bought a Porsche for the engineering and pedigree. The turbos are the height of the performance and technology in the 911 line. Offering all the cars as "turbo's" is not even a departure from tradition in Porsche 911. Its just now standard to keep the cars competitive with taxes, emission and segment performance numbers.

Exhaust sound is also easily modifiable, Im confident that with a little tweaking I'll find the perfect exhaust setup..

Why is no one ****ting on the past turbo models including the 991.1's, because they all sound good!

I personally also find the sound of turbo spool (and the following acceleration) intoxicating. I think everyone should give it a try, its the way of the future!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:46 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
I had some of the best driving experiences of my life obliterating a rental Huracan because the sound was so intoxicating.

Faster Mclarens I've driven were nowhere near as exhilarating.

As for the .2, the first 4 seconds of this clip NAILS IT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiItnQaLIug
I am surprised no one ever talks about the STEERING FEEL from a .1 to a .2. I am 10 days into a new '17, .2 base (manual, PSE etc) coming from an '09 C2S (manual). Yes the 997, steering & exhaust was better/great, pure Porsche sex. But, the .2 is also EXCELLENT. I don't know what kind of vacuum cleaners you guys have, my Dyson doesn't sound like my .2. ( I get the joke, no need to explain) I wish it did. Having spent a considerable amount of time in a friend's .1 (driving), I didn't want one. I drove a .2 and was sold! The steering is SO MUCH BETTER on the .2. How come NOBODY ever talks about that? I know, to each his own, etc. And besides all of my CAPS, I'm not throwing stones, live and let live. But GEEZ, come on guys.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:47 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Some of you must have loud vacuum cleaners.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:49 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
Both .1 & .2 cars are pretty quiet with the PSE, let alone stock exhaust.

I certainly wouldn't out a 991.anything on a top 10 list of my favorite exhaust notes. Admittedly sound is subjective but this whole argument has gotten so blown out of proportion in a 991 forum.

I wouldn't have bought a Porsche if all I was looking for a "soul" or and exotic exhaust/engine sound. I would have bought something from the Italians.

I bought a Porsche for the engineering and pedigree. The turbos are the height of the performance and technology in the 911 line. Offering all the cars as "turbo's" is not even a departure from tradition in Porsche 911. Its just now standard to keep the cars competitive with taxes, emission and segment performance numbers.

Exhaust sound is also easily modifiable, Im confident that with a little tweaking I'll find the perfect exhaust setup..

Why is no one ****ting on the past turbo models including the 991.1's, because they all sound good!

I personally also find the sound of turbo spool (and the following acceleration) intoxicating. I think everyone should give it a try, its the way of the future!
Most water cooled 911 Turbos don’t sound all that great unless the exhaust is heavily modded.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:56 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by crossroads
need I say more
Gimme a break, why bring politics into this?
Old 10-31-2017, 11:08 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
Some of you must have loud vacuum cleaners.

https://youtu.be/oioLs7tBHu8

I had this exact setup on my 991.2 C2S before I traded and got the 991.2 GTS.

Its no where near as loud as that video would suggest. Its rowdy for sure, but that video is not an accurate portrayal of what it sounds like at all.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:28 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

Disclaimer: I’ve previously owned two NA 911’s and I now own a 991.2. I admit that a NA engine sounds better than a comparable FI, including the car I currently own.
Here’s what I don’t get:
Approximately 90% of 991.1 owners purchased an S over a base because...wait for it...the S is faster than the base. Then all of the sudden, when the 991.2 is faster than a 991.1, speed/power isn’t important anymore. Which is it? Either the faster engine is important, or it’s not. The .1 S owners are going to respond that it’s the other options available in the S that influenced their decision, but I’m not buying it. It’s the engine. I find it hard to believe (and maybe oddly coincidental) that the 991.1S is the optimal amount of quickness. Less power, (the 3.4 engine) isn’t enough, and the 3.0T is unnecessarily fast. IMHO, in a comparable car, faster beats slower all day, every day.
I’d like to add that I’ve had 991.1 loaners. I think they’re awesome cars and that I would be extremely happy with either a .1 or a .2. OK, maybe a little more with the latter.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:45 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

^well said.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:04 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

I had this exact setup on my 991.2 C2S before I traded and got the 991.2 GTS.

Its no where near as loud as that video would suggest. Its rowdy for sure, but that video is not an accurate portrayal of what it sounds like at all.
I was just going to comment on how well it sounds and you ruined it.

I blame the room acoustics that which likely amplified the sound.

#FakeNews
Old 11-01-2017, 12:06 AM
///M3THOD
Racer

Originally Posted by Bemo
I was just going to comment on how well it sounds and you ruined it.

I blame the room acoustics that which likely amplified the sound.

#FakeNews
Ill put up a video of mine. It sounds better than that
Old 11-01-2017, 12:14 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Ill put up a video of mine. It sounds better than that
Please. Would love to hear it. Just googled the price for the headers and it's ~2300 i figure install is few hours or 1000ish?
Good to know of this as an option if we should ever take the fart can route
One can only put up with a slow-as-hell .1GTS for so long!

Of course I kid but my DD is going on 7yrs so sooner or later decisions will have to be made...
Old 11-01-2017, 12:23 AM
///M3THOD
Racer

Originally Posted by Bemo
Please. Would love to hear it. Just googled the price for the headers and it's ~2300 i figure install is few hours or 1000ish?
Good to know of this as an option if we should ever take the fart can route
One can only put up with a slow-as-hell .1GTS for so long!

Of course I kid but my DD is going on 7yrs so sooner or later decisions will have to be made...
I actually never did the headers, but they would probably only slightly change the note since they are pre turbo.

The cat bypass pipes are primarily where the sound is coming from (as well as ~20rwhp, C2S, stock tune)

Ill look for my video. Ive got it somewhere, as well as a dyno.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:28 AM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
^ yea they blow ok right past # 1
Lmfao. Mic drop ...

Quick Reply: 991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread