Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 09:04 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts

crazy what getting the crap outta the car and a nasty awesome DA will do! ive never seen under 1000 yet. thats about what my TT did with a stage 2 , i ran 10.4 @ 132 in the 1/4 .. glad to see you testing properly
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 09:48 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
crazy what getting the crap outta the car and a nasty awesome DA will do! ive never seen under 1000 yet. thats about what my TT did with a stage 2 , i ran 10.4 @ 132 in the 1/4 .. glad to see you testing properly

I'm pretty happy with it as is, to be honest. Can't wait to try the Stg. 2+ tune. Should be a fun $150 upgrade.

Here's the testing done on Video. Pedro driving of course, in Mexico.

ALL 60-130 pulls and a bonus 1/8 mile just to get the mph data point ( Spun horribly so the 60 ft. and 0-60 time was useless).

Last edited by Big Swole; 01-09-2021 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:20 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
I'm pretty happy with it as is, to be honest. Can't wait to try the Stg. 2+ tune. Should be a fun $150 upgrade.

Here's the testing done on Video. Pedro driving of course, in Mexico.

ALL 60-130 pulls and a bonus 1/8 mile just to get the mph data point ( Spun horribly so the 60 ft. and 0-60 time was useless).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-xwhlv0Ih4
Looks killer. How do you get the Stage 2 loaded. Go to a GIAC dealership ?
Old 01-09-2021, 10:22 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Looks killer. How do you get the Stage 2 loaded. Go to a GIAC dealership ?

Yes, spoke to GIAC and they gave my my local nearest Dealer name / number. Called them and the owner / tuner said $150 flat rate and it'd take about an hour.

Work week is busy next week but hoping to make some time in the next week or two... Excited to test again and see Difference.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:42 PM
Emeka
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, spoke to GIAC and they gave my my local nearest Dealer name / number. Called them and the owner / tuner said $150 flat rate and it'd take about an hour.

Work week is busy next week but hoping to make some time in the next week or two... Excited to test again and see Difference.
Your local tuner might be able to provide you with a handheld device plus 100 octane tune for an additional fee. Also, I envy that you're driving and making runs while my car sleeps for the winter. Good job
Big Swole (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 10:51 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Emeka
Your local tuner might be able to provide you with a handheld device plus 100 octane tune for an additional fee. Also, I envy that you're driving and making runs while my car sleeps for the winter. Good job

Yeah, that'll be my question for sure. Depending not the cost...If it's too much, I'll just switch to Cobb AP.

I feel bad for you folks having to put your cars up for months at a time. I couldn't justify having one ( at least this expensive ) if I couldn't drive it year round.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:24 AM
Emeka
Instructor

So I was looking at the GIAC website and I noticed that there's a stage 2 plus for the 991.1 turbo S which yields 645 hp and 625 lb ft on pump gas but requires intercoolers. Their stage 1 plus requires only bolt ons.

There's also a stage 1 plus for the 991.2 turbo S which yields 630 hp and 600 lb ft on pump gas but no stage 2 plus for the 991.2 turbo S. At least it's not showing on their website. Can you confirm that there's a stage 2 plus for the 991.2 turbo S?

I don't want you wasting your money on the wrong file or that you may need intercoolers to run the file.

Last edited by Emeka; 01-10-2021 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:42 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

So I was looking at the GIAC website and I noticed that there's a stage 2 plus for the 991.1 turbo S which yields 645 hp and 625 lb ft on pump gas but requires intercoolers. Their stage 1 plus requires only bolt ons.

There's also a stage 1 plus for the 991.2 turbo S which yields 630 hp and 600 lb ft on pump gas but no stage 2 plus for the 991.2 turbo S. At least it's not showing on their website. Can you confirm that there's a stage 2 plus for the 991.2 turbo S?

I don't want you wasting your money on the wrong file or that you may need intercoolers to run the file.

I'm right there with you and don't understand why they don't have it listed. However, I'm going off what I was told by the guy on the phone from GIAC.
I think that High HP tune for the 991.1TTS is the race gas tune.

I'll definitely Confirm with the local Dealer that I'm getting a Stage 2 Plus - 93 Pump gas tune.....However, I want to try their Race Gas tune also but I'll need some sort of Flashtuner / Loader... I know they sell one for other applications. Hope they do my mine also. Unless it stupid expensive and not feasible. Then I'll save my $ and swap to a Cobb AP.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:41 AM
Emeka
Instructor

Yes, make sure there's a stage 2 plus for the 991.2 turbo S. I believe that's a different tune than the 100 octane/ race tune file.

I'm curious on something about Cobb specifically and will bring it up here, because this is your thread, and we're both interested in the same things. Maybe you (or others) can shed some light for me.

So for other ECU software programs, you'd pay for the tune and that's it, but for Cobb, the V3 accessport cost like $3K. Then there's the pro tune/ custom tune that cost $1.5K or so and the PDK tune for $750. That's approx $5K right there. Do you think the extra $ is worth it when compared to another software program like JB4 or APR?

I'm just curious.
Big Swole (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 09:43 AM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts

Yeah, that'll be my question for sure. Depending not the cost...If it's too much, I'll just switch to Cobb AP.

I feel bad for you folks having to put your cars up for months at a time. I couldn't justify having one ( at least this expensive ) if I couldn't drive it year round.
We adapt.
It's kind of like Christmas morning all over again when spring arrives and we can pull them out of the garage.
It also gives us time to plan mods!
The following 2 users liked this post by vrybad:
Big Swole (01-10-2021), Emeka (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 09:49 AM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts

Yes, make sure there's a stage 2 plus for the 991.2 turbo S. I believe that's a different tune than the 100 octane/ race tune file.

I'm curious on something about Cobb specifically and will bring it up here, because this is your thread, and we're both interested in the same things. Maybe you (or others) can shed some light for me.

So for other ECU software programs, you'd pay for the tune and that's it, but for Cobb, the V3 accessport cost like $3K. Then there's the pro tune/ custom tune that cost $1.5K or so and the PDK tune for $750. That's approx $5K right there. Do you think the extra $ is worth it when compared to another software program like JB4 or APR?

I'm just curious.
IMO, if you're pretty darn sure you are going beyond stock turbos, then I think it makes sense to go with the Cobb.
It is a buy-now, cry-now mod but gives so much flexibility down the road.
I don't know enough about how the PDK tune affects the car and as it seems to operate very well bone stock, I would have to do more research prior to the PDK tune.
I do believe from what I have read on this forum that perhaps launch control can be tailored to specific needs but again, not sure.
Maybe a new thread specifically about PDK tunes is necessary.
Big Swole (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 11:03 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

I'm just curious.
As stated above, totally depends on your goals. All of the above work in varying degrees.

Cobb plus a @SamboTT@ByDesign tune (my choice) delivers everything. You can remove the tune before service, you can get a pump 93 tune and a 100 octane tune. You get a great data logger. Super easy installation since it just plugs into the OBD2. The tune is for your combo. If you remove cats, no CEL with a custom tune. You get tons of experience. A no brainer.

Im very happy with my factory PDK tune. There is a huge benefit for the 991.1 to custom tune the PDK. But 991.2 is pretty good OEM.

Good luck !

Big Swole (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 01:19 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I'm just curious.

Like said above, I think it's hard to beat Cobb's package for Logging, Tuning, Code Clearing, Gauges (which I didn't use much on my old car), Constant development of tunes like Sam did for my old car, etc.

I'm pretty excited to see the results of the Stage 2 plus tune (if it's actually available, but the dealer was pretty clear about my model and what I wanted. So I'm saying it must be).
But regardless, once I move the 308 and have a few spare funds, I think I'll go forward with my plans to swap to Cobb and Europipe (which I LOVED on my 997.2TTS). The Catless Tubi I have is decent and for performance, I'm sure is great, but it's a bit too Loud and since Catless, it smells too much (According to friends driving behind me).
Old 01-10-2021, 03:06 PM
Emeka
Instructor

Originally Posted by vrybad
We adapt.
It's kind of like Christmas morning all over again when spring arrives and we can pull them out of the garage.
It also gives us time to plan mods!
You're right. My xmas gift to myself is in the spring and I'm using the time in between to plan mods. Def couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by vrybad
IMO, if you're pretty darn sure you are going beyond stock turbos, then I think it makes sense to go with the Cobb.
It is a buy-now, cry-now mod but gives so much flexibility down the road.
I don't know enough about how the PDK tune affects the car and as it seems to operate very well bone stock, I would have to do more research prior to the PDK tune.
I do believe from what I have read on this forum that perhaps launch control can be tailored to specific needs but again, not sure.
Maybe a new thread specifically about PDK tunes is necessary.
Originally Posted by onfireTTS
As stated above, totally depends on your goals. All of the above work in varying degrees.

Cobb plus a @SamboTT@ByDesign tune (my choice) delivers everything. You can remove the tune before service, you can get a pump 93 tune and a 100 octane tune. You get a great data logger. Super easy installation since it just plugs into the OBD2. The tune is for your combo. If you remove cats, no CEL with a custom tune. You get tons of experience. A no brainer.

Im very happy with my factory PDK tune. There is a huge benefit for the 991.1 to custom tune the PDK. But 991.2 is pretty good OEM.

Good luck !
Like said above, I think it's hard to beat Cobb's package for Logging, Tuning, Code Clearing, Gauges (which I didn't use much on my old car), Constant development of tunes like Sam did for my old car, etc.

I'm pretty excited to see the results of the Stage 2 plus tune (if it's actually available, but the dealer was pretty clear about my model and what I wanted. So I'm saying it must be).
But regardless, once I move the 308 and have a few spare funds, I think I'll go forward with my plans to swap to Cobb and Europipe (which I LOVED on my 997.2TTS). The Catless Tubi I have is decent and for performance, I'm sure is great, but it's a bit too Loud and since Catless, it smells too much (According to friends driving behind me).
Thank you guys so much for the responses. It's much clearer now. Hopefully this helps other readers that may be on the fence. Buy now, cry now but def worth it.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:28 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Thank you guys so much for the responses. It's much clearer now. Hopefully this helps other readers that may be on the fence. Buy now, cry now but def worth it.
Go with the tuners who actually race their cars, go to events and post data IMO. I only know of three companies that do it here on Rennlist, By Design or AIM are two which both use Cobb as their tuning loader. We use our JB4 system which is a PNP device that requires no extra tuning fees or services. All maps are preloaded for you to choose from based on mods and fuel used. Plus, you can always stack the JB4 with Cobb for best of both worlds.

-Payam
vrybad (01-11-2021)

Quick Reply: I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)