Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 02:44 AM
Emeka
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm interested in the results of the GIAC stage 2. If it will net you around 630 ish wheel hp or 100 hp over stock crank, with that and exhaust being your only mods, I think you're in a great place my friend. Also interested in a 60-130 mph run on stage 2. It's good to have options. Definitely keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 03:46 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Well, just so I'd have a good idea of the gains from their Stage 1 plus to the Stage 2 Plus, I went out tonight and made sure I got some pulls with just my heavy A$$ in there ( GIAC Stage 1 plus)

So here were the conditions:
- Me with a lot of gear on (two Glocks / spare mags and a few other items) = Approx. 275-280 lbs. min. and a jacket in case I got a flat or some (cold out)
- DA was -486 (36-37* , 78% humidity, 900-990 Ft. Elevations) and Quite Windy!!
-1/2 tank of 93 octane.

The only place near me to do this safely is a section of Hwy over a bridge (Bumpy and slightly sloppy depending on direction). You'll see the results.
I'll upload and post a couple of vids later. Here are the Dragy Stats.

60-130 Pulls
Quickest was a 6.69 ( -1.10 slope )
Slowest was a 7.11 ( + 1.19 slope )

Last edited by Big Swole; 01-09-2021 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:50 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

MOVED FROM AIM's thread so we didn't hi-jack it anymore.

Originally Posted by vrybad
6.69-7.0 is very quick.
I would be very happy with that with the minimal mods your car has.
My TT C5 Z06 went 6.89 on a 1.0% incline so I know just how quick your car feels.
Very nice!
Thank you!
Funny thing is, how slow it feels when testing. lol.
It's like I'm just waiting on it to finally GO! lol
But for a stg. 1 tune (great weather of course), I'm pretty happy.
Can't wait to see if the Stg. 2 is a good bit stronger.

Originally Posted by cosmo1
The 6.6 is where I was with my carrera with upgraded pure turbos on pump gas, wow.. I'm also 250lbs and need every advantage I can for decent times but wow what a difference from the stg 1 and 2...
This was STILL the Stage 1 plus tune!

This was was just me in it and not my GF and lots of Cargo like when I did my 7.28 & 7.31.

So the Stage 2 plus tune will be coming in a week or so hopefully.

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Moving out. Another great data point for the 991.2TTS BILLET WHEEL. You are much quicker than my 7.4 bone stock passes.

Very interested in the Stage 2 results.

You will need to try and test it in the cooler temps as well for comparison.

Is the GIAC Stage 2 the same tune the Champion Black Turbo Car used to run 9.7 ?
Your 7.4 was STRONG though for stock. My car was never on stock tune since I've had it, so I'll Never know what it was like.

Yes, with the weather around here, we'll have nice cool / low DA weather through Feb. I hope.

No, that tune was a recalibrated 100 octane / race gas tune. STILL Very impressive though.

I'd love to have a Race gas tune and mix in some MS 109 or something. Running 9's would be ****!
Old 01-09-2021, 02:39 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

OH!! Also forgot to mention...Even though these runs were not from a true "DIG", the 1/8 and 1/4 MPH should still be fairly decently accurate given the power level

So my Dragy says that a few of my runs were in the 103-104 MPH 1/8.....And in the 132-133 MPH 1/4's.

Again, those were during the 60-130 plus where the 1st and 2nd gears were an Easy roll off and then Smacking it.

I think 103-104 and 132-133+ on mph is very close for this Stg. 1 plus tune.

Old 01-09-2021, 02:57 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 961 Likes on 586 Posts

Pretty cool Dave. Remember enjoy the ride Magnum haha!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Big Swole (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 03:03 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Pretty cool Dave. Remember enjoy the ride Magnum haha!

Thanks brother. Getting these data points to have to compare to later when switching to Cobb should be good.

I don't like not having a Hand Held "Loader" for logging , code reading, tune switching, etc. with the GIAC stuff.

Having a 100 oct. / race gas tune would be nice to have and go to for Street car events and such at the track.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:02 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Thanks brother. Getting these data points to have to compare to later when switching to Cobb should be good.

I don't like not having a Hand Held "Loader" for logging , code reading, tune switching, etc. with the GIAC stuff.

Having a 100 oct. / race gas tune would be nice to have and go to for Street car events and such at the track.
How do you handle a trip to the dealer for maintenance with GIAC ? If they update the Flash Tune, it's gone. Just download and reinstall from a laptop ?
Old 01-09-2021, 05:27 PM
cosmo1
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Would love to see some dyno comparison's with all of the tunes out there?

Last edited by cosmo1; 01-09-2021 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:12 PM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts

Yep, very quick!
Just make sure to re-test in the same spot as these runs after the STG 2 tune for a consistent comparison.
Big Swole (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 07:50 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

How do you handle a trip to the dealer for maintenance with GIAC ? If they update the Flash Tune, it's gone. Just download and reinstall from a laptop ?
Well, so far I've not taken it to the dealer yet. I've got to decide something soon, as my factory warranty is up in a few days and am thinking about buying a Fidelity Platinum like I had for my 997.2TTS.

I'd have to disclose the GIAC tune to them and request it Not be flashed at all. Unless GIAC makes a "Loader" I can purchase that has a "stock" tune on it like Cobb does.

I'd hope they'd see my Catless Tubi and know it has to be tuned.

Or should I just self insure and stick that money back and add to it each month and not worry about them knowing it's tuned????

Originally Posted by cosmo1
Would love to see some dyno comparison's with all of the tunes out there?

Would be difficult really. Different tunes on same car all in the same day in same weather conditions.
However, would you just want to see "Off the Shelf" / "Canned" tunes from each brand or what??
Custom tune comparisons would be even more difficult...Getting them all on the same day to Write tunes and such while someone dyno'd and swapped tunes.

Originally Posted by vrybad
Yep, very quick!
Just make sure to re-test in the same spot as these runs after the STG 2 tune for a consistent comparison.

Thank you!
Yes Sir, Definitely!! That particular spot is pretty easy to get a straight run in Both directions Over the Bridge.
I just wished it was a little Smoother and not so "Bumpy" in spots. I feel like that it hurts the times.
Also, since it was windy last night, the wind on the next day may hurt / help too. Last night, I think it hurt me a bit.

Last edited by Big Swole; 01-09-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:14 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Well, so far I've not taken it to the dealer yet. I've got to decide something soon, as my factory warranty is up in a few days and am thinking about buying a Fidelity Platinum like I had for my 997.2TTS.

I'd have to disclose the GIAC tune to them and request it Not be flashed at all. Unless GIAC makes a "Loader" I can purchase that has a "stock" tune on it like Cobb does.

I'd hope they'd see my Catless Tubi and know it has to be tuned.

Or should I just self insure and stick that money back and add to it each month and not worry about them knowing it's tuned????

Would be difficult really. Different tunes on same car all in the same day in same weather conditions.
However, would you just want to see "Off the Shelf" / "Canned" tunes from each brand or what??
Custom tune comparisons would be even more difficult...Getting them all on the same day to Write tunes and such while someone dyno'd and swapped tunes.

Thank you!
Yes Sir, Definitely!! That particular spot is pretty easy to get a straight run in Both directions Over the Bridge.
I just wished it was a little Smoother and not so "Bumpy" in spots. I feel like that it hurts the times.
Also, since it was windy last night, the wind on the next day may hurt / help too. Last night, I think it hurt me a bit.
Worst case, take it to who ever flashes the stage 2 tune into it before a dealer visit and have them flash it back to stock. Then after the visit, reflash.
Big Swole (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 08:20 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Worst case, take it to who ever flashes the stage 2 tune into it before a dealer visit and have them flash it back to stock. Then after the visit, reflash.

That's always and option but would be a P.I.T.A depending on my time off.

I'm going to investigate a hand loader option from them and if not, I'll just swap to Cobb once I gather data on these tunes.

BTW, have you seen the vid where the guy runs GIAC's 100 octane tune (50/50 race gas / pump) with only a Tubi exhaust , Toyo R888R tires and runs a 9.78 @139+ mph??

This is impressive... I'm sure others are running similar times with Sams , Erme's, , and others Race Gas Tunes.... I may try a Race Gas tune soon also... I just need a way to switch tunes back and forth.

Last edited by Big Swole; 01-09-2021 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:21 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Btw, the 60-130 stuff has always amazed me. They vary so much from run to run as you have seen and supposedly “technique “ is everything. I can run back to back to back 6.5 at 109mph 1/8th mile passes, but a 60-130 can vary 0.3 Plus , a 40mph wack for a 60-130 is supposed to be much quicker than a Launch Control 60-130. Momentum. Crazy stuff.
Big Swole (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 08:25 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

That's always and option but would be a P.I.T.A depending on my time off.

I'm going to investigate a hand loader option from them and if not, I'll just swap to Cobb once I gather data on these tunes.

BTW, have you seen the vid where the guy runs GIAC's 100 octane tune (50/50 race gas / pump) with only a Tubi exhaust , Toyo R888R tires and runs a 9.78 @138+ mph??

This is impressive... I'm sure others are running similar times with Sams , Erme's, , and others Race Gas Tunes.... I may try a Race Gas tune soon also... I just need a way to switch tunes back and forth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK3Cw...ture=emb_title
Absolutely , very impressive. Someone should fine out what his 60-130 was on that pass. The hook at that track made the magic happen. But the power was there also. That vid set back my thoughts on ordering a 992. My buddy (dealership) has one coming in that I’m going to look at. Digital does not turn me on. Weight gain does not either. Or the nubbin.

@SamboTT@ByDesign does have tune/exhaust guys in the 9’s here on the board.
Big Swole (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 08:45 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Btw, the 60-130 stuff has always amazed me. They vary so much from run to run as you have seen and supposedly “technique “ is everything. I can run back to back to back 6.5 at 109mph 1/8th mile passes, but a 60-130 can vary 0.3 Plus , a 40mph wack for a 60-130 is supposed to be much quicker than a Launch Control 60-130. Momentum. Crazy stuff.

I agree completely.. just last night for instance. Even though we're talking less than 1% difference in slope, my runs varied by almost .4 sec.

I'll post some vid here shortly showing my "technique" from last night... We'll see if I'm doing it right.

Absolutely , very impressive. Someone should fine out what his 60-130 was on that pass. The hook at that track made the magic happen. But the power was there also. That vid set back my thoughts on ordering a 992. My buddy (dealership) has one coming in that I’m going to look at. Digital does not turn me on. Weight gain does not either. Or the nubbin.

@SamboTT@ByDesign does have tune/exhaust guys in the 9’s here on the board.

Yes, with our 991.2TTS's going 9.70's at almost 140 with just a tune / exhaust / tires, I just don't see spending the extra coin on a 992TTS (not realistic for me $ wise anyway, so I'm where I'll be for a while!! )

Yeah, Sam's done some great work, as has AIM and others with these 991.2TTS's.... I'm so excited to has this thing!!

Quick Reply: I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)