I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 04:05 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
If I recall correctly, the in-dash boost shows actual boost, but has a limit on maximum boost it will display... Not really a Cobb issue.
The boost gauge shows modeled boost, which is pretty close to actual boost, when you read from a Cobb datalog you need to keep in mind intake system losses, I.e. at atmospheric pressure of 29” read through your OBD, your Cobb boost reading at idle might read 29.4” from the boost pressure sensor
Old 01-14-2021, 12:58 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Little update.

So went to the giac dealer this morn to get the stg. 2 tune. He had spoken to giac and they made him aware that my car did not have the most updated ECU software from Porsche. My software ending in a “BB” and I needed the software ending in “BH” to be able to upgrade to the “Newest” Stg. 2 tune that has the Race gas tune embedded in it also.

So my options were to just upgrade to the lateral stage 2 flash and it be unknown as to how much better it would be , or go to Porsche and have them completely reflash my car with the newest software. I started to just upgrade to the lateral flash and then see what it did and then possibly go forward from there. But I decided since I had the day off and no time like the present, I came over to Hennessey Porsche and they are going to try to fit me in to reflash the car. I’m assuming it will only take about an hour but he said 1 to 2 hours at $175 an hour to reflash the ECU.

So right now I’m waiting to get the car re-flashed and then going back over to the GIAC tuned dealer for the completion of the upgrade.

I hope spending the extra money getting the new software will be worth the upgrade on the tune also.

Anybody else ever heard of the software upgrade from Porsche on our early model 991.2 cars?

Last edited by Big Swole; 01-14-2021 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:02 PM
99Gdzra
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Little update.

So went to the giac dealer this morn to get the stg. 2 tune. He had spoken to giac and they made him aware that my car did not have the most updated ECU software from Porsche. My software ending in a “BB” and I needed the software ending in “BH” to be able to upgrade to the “Newest” Stg. 2 tune that has the Race gas tune embedded in it also.

So my options were to just upgrade to the lateral stage to flash and it be unknown as to how much better it would be , or go to Porsche and have them completely reflash my car with the newest software. I started to just upgrade to the lateral flash and then see what it did and then possibly go forward from there. But I decided since I had the day off and no time like the present, I came over to Hennessey Porsche and they are going to try to fit me in to reflash the car. I’m assuming it will only take about an hour but he said 1 to 2 hours at $175 an hour to reflash the ECU.

So right now I’m waiting to get the car re-flashed and then going back over to the GIAC tuned dealer for the completion of the upgrade.

I hope spending the extra money getting the new software will be worth the upgrade on the tune also.

Anybody else ever heard of the software upgrade from Porsche on our early model 991.2 cars?
That’s weird. I haven’t heard of a software update and I’m at my Porsche dealer all the time. Wonder if it’s a recent or very early update? Can’t they verify your current software and see if it’s current?
Old 01-14-2021, 01:03 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Old 01-14-2021, 01:05 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
That’s weird. I haven’t heard of a software update and I’m at my Porsche dealer all the time. Wonder if it’s a recent or very early update? Can’t they verify your current software and see if it’s current?

No matter what they do they’re going to charge me for the time so I might as well just go ahead and get them to flash it was whatever is the newest software. I just hope it’s exactly what I need to get this new tune.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:07 PM
99Gdzra
Pro

No matter what they do they’re going to charge me for the time so I might as well just go ahead and get them to flash it was whatever is the newest software. I just hope it’s exactly what I need to get this new tune.
Well damn! Prolly a good idea the get the latest revision so there are zero issues with new GIAC flash. Keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 01:08 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

Little update.

So my options were to just upgrade to the lateral stage to flash and it be unknown as to how much better it would be , or go to Porsche and have them completely reflash my car with the newest software. I started to just upgrade to the lateral flash and then see what it did and then possibly go forward from there. But I decided since I had the day off and no time like the present, I came over to Hennessey Porsche and they are going to try to fit me in to reflash the car. I’m assuming it will only take about an hour but he said 1 to 2 hours at $175 an hour to reflash the ECU.

You're the MAN !
Big Swole (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 01:13 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Right now I’m eating a late breakfast killing time while the techs come back from lunch and then get started on my car. Soon as I leave here I’ll go back to the tune dealer and get the new tune.

The only bad thing is I will not have any time today to test the tune, I have to go work at off-duty detail which I’ll be going to late anyway to earn the money that I’m spending today. LOL

If I’m up to it I will go back out sometime late tonight when I get home and do a few pulls. If not it will have to wait until after the weekend since I’ll be working.

Last edited by Big Swole; 01-14-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:23 PM
99Gdzra
Pro

Thanks guys. Right now I’m eating a late breakfast killing time while the techs come back from lunch and then get started on my car. Soon as I leave here I’ll go back to the tune dealer and get the new tune.

The only bad thing is I will not have any time today to test the tune, I have to go work at off-duty detail which I’ll be going to late anyway to earn the money that I’m spending today. LOL

If I’m up to it I will go back out sometime late tonight when I get home and do a few pulls. If not it will have to wait until after the weekend since I’ll be working.
Can’t wait to see your results.
Big Swole (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 01:51 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Looking forward to the delta!

-Payam
Big Swole (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 02:21 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

OK so they only charged me one hour to do the update. According to the service writer, they were able to confirm that it was able to be upgraded. I rushed out of there and headed back to the tune dealer. More to come later.
wcarson (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 02:41 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

OK so they only charged me one hour to do the update. According to the service writer, they were able to confirm that it was able to be upgraded. I rushed out of there and headed back to the tune dealer. More to come later.
Cool. Now use that saved time to test ! You only need 6 seconds ! LOL.
Big Swole (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 02:44 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

That look on your face is priceless... lol. Congrats!
Big Swole (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 03:41 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

So here at the tune dealer.

Not sure if a bait / switch has gone on but still economical to say the least since I had a tune already.

thoughts??

New Porsche ECU software = $186 (Dealer)
NEW Stage 2 pump gas tune = $200
NEW Race Gas tune = $400
Tune Switcher device = $150
Labor = $150

vs.

What would have been a lateral tune switch (old ECU software) = Free and Labor = $150. No tune switching.

Guess I spring for whole deal. 30 day money back on the Race Gas tune if I don’t like it.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:48 PM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts

Excuses, excuses...sheesh!
Big Swole (01-14-2021)

Quick Reply: I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)