Sponsored by: Road Spy

I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 10:43 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by BMS
Go with the tuners who actually race their cars, go to events and post data IMO. I only know of three companies that do it here on Rennlist, By Design or AIM are two which both use Cobb as their tuning loader. We use our JB4 system which is a PNP device that requires no extra tuning fees or services. All maps are preloaded for you to choose from based on mods and fuel used. Plus, you can always stack the JB4 with Cobb for best of both worlds.

-Payam

I keep forgetting to include the JB4 brother. No offense meant.

I just am a little worried about "Stacking". From back in my modded diesel days, stacking was a method used in the early ages to get really high numbers before "proper tuning" with EFI Live and others came around.

Now as far as the JB4 goes on it's own. I'm sure it's very strong too. Any ET's / MPH's from someone running it with similar mods (Tune / Exhaust / Tires) of the guy running 9.78@139+?

Not trying to put you on the spot at all. PM if need be. Just kinda caught up in all this Tuning / ET / MPH / 60-130 pull Data from everyone.

Fact is, I don't need to be the quickest / fastest, Nor should I try to be. I'd just love to run some 9's in good weather / DA and maybe be in the high 5's from 60-130 with nothing more than Exhaust / Tune / and my PS4S's.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:33 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
I keep forgetting to include the JB4 brother. No offense meant.

I just am a little worried about "Stacking". From back in my modded diesel days, stacking was a method used in the early ages to get really high numbers before "proper tuning" with EFI Live and others came around.

Now as far as the JB4 goes on it's own. I'm sure it's very strong too. Any ET's / MPH's from someone running it with similar mods (Tune / Exhaust / Tires) of the guy running 9.78@139+?

Not trying to put you on the spot at all. PM if need be. Just kinda caught up in all this Tuning / ET / MPH / 60-130 pull Data from everyone.

Fact is, I don't need to be the quickest / fastest, Nor should I try to be. I'd just love to run some 9's in good weather / DA and maybe be in the high 5's from 60-130 with nothing more than Exhaust / Tune / and my PS4S's.
The only reason to stack would be for the added feature of the JB4, which is logging, map switching, safety systems etc.
I've posted mostly half mile runs, not too many of our customers are dedicated enough to go to a track or to take it up in power that much. The JB4 is made for the crowd of people who can enjoy a PNP device that will give an extra 50whp without having to touch anything. Now with more mods and higher octane they can take advantage of the JB4 and make more power like posted above.
Cool thing would be to see how the car is running with JB4 off and logging to see how your GIAC tune is doing etc.

-Payam
The following 2 users liked this post by BMS:
Big Swole (01-11-2021), vrybad (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 09:08 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BMS
The only reason to stack would be for the added feature of the JB4, which is logging, map switching, safety systems etc.
I've posted mostly half mile runs, not too many of our customers are dedicated enough to go to a track or to take it up in power that much. The JB4 is made for the crowd of people who can enjoy a PNP device that will give an extra 50whp without having to touch anything. Now with more mods and higher octane they can take advantage of the JB4 and make more power like posted above.
Cool thing would be to see how the car is running with JB4 off and logging to see how your GIAC tune is doing etc.

-Payam

Just so I'm clear. Stacking ISN'T about running two / both "tunes" for more power (which was the danger I was referring to back in the Diesel days....worked but blew / melted many motors) ?
Stacking would be for the Logging , Gauges , and or Switching Tunes (only JB4 tunes) to see differences (after removing whatever brand X tune like mine)?

That would be pretty cool, to log with JB4 while still running the tune that came with my car (and stg. 2 upgrade , which hopefully I'll have Thursday morning).

I'll keep you posted... Ultimately, I'll probably go to something different after playing with / testing all the GIAC stuff on my car. Cobb / JB4 / Etc.

This is the fun part...Seeing what else is out there and comparing... (Hoping to Never start arguments , but only to give others some data points to consider for their purchases).
The "KNOWN" for me is Cobb though.. With Sam and the AP manager, it was very easy to log, email him, receive back refined tune, load and GO. Obviously multiple times to get it dialed, but I'm thinking the 991.2TTS Platform is WAY easier on the tuners compared to the 997.2TTS tuning... More to work with and less Finicky to changes. (from what I've seen / heard with my old car). Even Emre suggested the 997.2's were or could be difficult. Seems everyone like him and Sam and it seems GIAC (with that 9.78 @ 139+ vid) have the 991's dialed!!!
Old 01-11-2021, 09:22 PM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts

Just so I'm clear. Stacking ISN'T about running two / both "tunes" for more power (which was the danger I was referring to back in the Diesel days....worked but blew / melted many motors) ?
Stacking would be for the Logging , Gauges , and or Switching Tunes (only JB4 tunes) to see differences (after removing whatever brand X tune like mine)?

That would be pretty cool, to log with JB4 while still running the tune that came with my car (and stg. 2 upgrade , which hopefully I'll have Thursday morning).

I'll keep you posted... Ultimately, I'll probably go to something different after playing with / testing all the GIAC stuff on my car. Cobb / JB4 / Etc.

This is the fun part...Seeing what else is out there and comparing... (Hoping to Never start arguments , but only to give others some data points to consider for their purchases).
The "KNOWN" for me is Cobb though.. With Sam and the AP manager, it was very easy to log, email him, receive back refined tune, load and GO. Obviously multiple times to get it dialed, but I'm thinking the 991.2TTS Platform is WAY easier on the tuners compared to the 997.2TTS tuning... More to work with and less Finicky to changes. (from what I've seen / heard with my old car). Even Emre suggested the 997.2's were or could be difficult. Seems everyone like him and Sam and it seems GIAC (with that 9.78 @ 139+ vid) have the 991's dialed!!!
I agree.
There is really no reason for things to get heated here. (Some of you guys know how the vette forums go...)
We all make decisions based on our overall goals and other reasons, such as location, friend's recommendations, visible results, etc.
There are many really great options for tuners here, as well as parts sourcing for the DIYers.
I feel very fortunate to have this forum as a resource, and I say this having not spent dollar one yet.
I honestly can't wait to get started and I am STILL trying to decide just which way to go.
Toughest decision.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 09:34 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vrybad
I agree.
There is really no reason for things to get heated here. (Some of you guys know how the vette forums go...)
We all make decisions based on our overall goals and other reasons, such as location, friend's recommendations, visible results, etc.
There are many really great options for tuners here, as well as parts sourcing for the DIYers.
I feel very fortunate to have this forum as a resource, and I say this having not spent dollar one yet.
I honestly can't wait to get started and I am STILL trying to decide just which way to go.
Toughest decision.

Well I'm glad to have you here and hope that in my testing / personal experience I can at least help a little in you feeling "Good" about whatever decision you make.
-Working with Sam was / has been great. He and I just clicked and he really helped me. He seems like a great person (even outside of this tuning stuff)
-Emre in our old text with each other about my old car, seemed just a great and a nice guy for sure. I just happened to have an offer from Sam, that at that time was more Cost affective for me.
-GIAC seemed like a pretty cool company as well. Over the phone was helpful with my current car. Offering a "Free" upgrade to Stage 2 is certainly nice. I just have to pay the $150 to the dealer for their time (Totally reasonable).
Given my data / numbers on my car with Stage 1, I'd say it runs pretty well. Hoping to gain a little more with the Stage 2. Having seen the vid of the Race Gas tune, I'm excited about that as well, if the "Tune Switcher" is cost affective and they don't bend me over on the Race Gas tune to try. lol
-Then Throw in the JB4 and the ease of it as well as the numbers they've produced, It's a VERY compelling option for "little" money by comparison. I just don't have any experience with it.

Either way, I'll at least have a little to share to help you make a decision. But for now, Exhaust / Tune is all I'm going to do, so maximizing that combo for the "Fun Factor" in an otherwise stock car, is my Goal.

I'll share more soon when I have more Data and how the experience went with the upgrade.

Last edited by Big Swole; 01-11-2021 at 09:36 PM.
John D II (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 09:43 PM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Well I'm glad to have you here and hope that in my testing / personal experience I can at least help a little in you feeling "Good" about whatever decision you make.
-Working with Sam was / has been great. He and I just clicked and he really helped me. He seems like a great person (even outside of this tuning stuff)
-Emre in our old text with each other about my old car, seemed just a great and a nice guy for sure. I just happened to have an offer from Sam, that at that time was more Cost affective for me.
-GIAC seemed like a pretty cool company as well. Over the phone was helpful with my current car. Offering a "Free" upgrade to Stage 2 is certainly nice. I just have to pay the $150 to the dealer for their time (Totally reasonable).
Given my data / numbers on my car with Stage 1, I'd say it runs pretty well. Hoping to gain a little more with the Stage 2. Having seen the vid of the Race Gas tune, I'm excited about that as well, if the "Tune Switcher" is cost affective and they don't bend me over on the Race Gas tune to try. lol
-Then Throw in the JB4 and the ease of it as well as the numbers they've produced, It's a VERY compelling option for "little" money by comparison. I just don't have any experience with it.

Either way, I'll at least have a little to share to help you make a decision. But for now, Exhaust / Tune is all I'm going to do, so maximizing that combo for the "Fun Factor" in an otherwise stock car, is my Goal.

I'll share more soon when I have more Data and how the experience went with the upgrade.
Thanks, brother.
My head's spinning!
Big Swole (01-11-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 01:14 AM
Emeka
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Keep up the good work and great thought process my brother in blue. I'm def subscribed and will be learning from your experiences.

Originally Posted by vrybad
Thanks, brother.
My head's spinning!
Haha you sound like me a few days ago. I had time on my hands so I researched the different kinds of ECU softwares, the different brands and sounds of exhaust systems, the importance/ significance of headers and intercoolers & the different brands and reviews. I sent private messages to the top tuners on here for advice and those guys were freaking amazing with their response info and responses time. And like you, haven't spent $1 as my vehicle is still stock and currently under warranty.

They say knowledge is power. Nothing beats educating oneself and the guys on this forum really make it work. For that I say thank you to you all, SAM, AIM & BMS especially.
The following 2 users liked this post by Emeka:
Big Swole (01-12-2021), vrybad (01-13-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 01:18 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Emeka
Keep up the good work and great thought process my brother in blue. I'm def subscribed and will be learning from your experiences.

Haha you sound like me a few days ago. I had time on my hands so I researched the different kinds of ECU softwares, the different brands and sounds of exhaust systems, the importance/ significance of headers and intercoolers & the different brands and reviews. I sent private messages to the top tuners on here for advice and those guys were freaking amazing with their response info and responses time. And like you, haven't spent $1 as my vehicle is still stock and currently under warranty.

They say knowledge is power. Nothing beats educating oneself and the guys on this forum really make it work. For that I say thank you to you all, SAM, AIM & BMS especially.

Yes, those (all) guys are awesome!

If you're not in a hurry, then lots of research and reading / learning will definitely help you make future choices.
I'll keep posting and hope it helps in any small way. I'm still learning as well.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:57 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,504 Posts

I'm a Cobb fan as well, on my 996 Turbo. Awesome and reliable bump, reasonably priced, decent OTS tunes.

On the 991 Turbo platform, the the device itself is not only nearly 3X the cost, but the OTS tunes are thought to be quite poor leaving custom tunes not as a future upgrade path, but as an initial requirement.

Currently running the JB4 piggyback on the 991 Turbo (which ironically is priced identically to the bargain-priced Cobb for 996 Turbo) . I'm not as into 1/4 mile and dragy performance analysis, but it definitely gives a noticeable power bump with no ECU imprint. For a full bolt-on or heavily modified car, I think Cobb/custom would likely have an edge. For making your 991.1 TTS as quick as a 991.2 TTS, or 991.2 TTS as quick as a 992 TTS quickly, easily and without a huge investment, JB4 seems to be well positioned.
The following 3 users liked this post by pfbz:
Big Swole (01-13-2021), BMS (01-13-2021), vrybad (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 01:13 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
I'm a Cobb fan as well, on my 996 Turbo. Awesome and reliable bump, reasonably priced, decent OTS tunes.

On the 991 Turbo platform, the the device itself is not only nearly 3X the cost, but the OTS tunes are thought to be quite poor leaving custom tunes not as a future upgrade path, but as an initial requirement.

Currently running the JB4 piggyback on the 991 Turbo (which ironically is priced identically to the bargain-priced Cobb for 996 Turbo) . I'm not as into 1/4 mile and dragy performance analysis, but it definitely gives a noticeable power bump with no ECU imprint. For a full bolt-on or heavily modified car, I think Cobb/custom would likely have an edge. For making your 991.1 TTS as quick as a 991.2 TTS, or 991.2 TTS as quick as a 992 TTS quickly, easily and without a huge investment, JB4 seems to be well positioned.
I agree Paul, for sure.

JB4 is interesting and I might throw one in the mix sometime just to see. I'm going to see where this Stg. 2 pump tune from GIAC puts me and then re-evaluate from there.

Hoping to find a Cobb AP used for a decent price like I did my old one...That would help me also explorer a custom tune and then ultimately decide on what stays.

I'm not trying to set any records at all either.. Just would love a high 9 sec. DD / Toy on a Tune and Exhaust. Other than the occasional drag strip event, I mainly just do car meets and mountain drives where you can't use anywhere near all the power anyway. I just think the tuning / testing / dragy data / numbers thing is fun.
vrybad (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 03:06 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 653 Posts

I read somewhere that the Cobb tune does not facilitate the OEM boost gauge reading accurately (i.e. actual boost psi above OEM does not show up on the OEM gauge in the dash, and the actual psi shows only on the handheld)....is that true?
Old 01-13-2021, 03:18 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
I read somewhere that the Cobb tune does not facilitate the OEM boost gauge reading accurately (i.e. actual boost psi above OEM does not show up on the OEM gauge in the dash, and the actual psi shows only on the handheld)....is that true?
True
Old 01-13-2021, 03:43 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
If I recall correctly, the in-dash boost shows actual boost, but has a limit on maximum boost it will display... Not really a Cobb issue.

AirBusPilot (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 03:48 PM
99Gdzra
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 180 Posts

The in dash boost gauge maxes out at 19psi. You can capture actual boost readings on your Cobb handheld though.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:48 PM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz

I agree the JB4 is a really great idea for those wanting a good boost in power but don't want to take the chance that it might be pegged by the dealer.
Can't get better than that.
Big Swole (01-13-2021)

Quick Reply: I Stepped Up AGAIN (991.2 Turbo S)