Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 01:50 PM
Redlinerobert
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Steven what is the name of your friends motorcycle shop?

Oh and speaking of bows, I'm a Hoyt fan.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:54 PM
MAP777
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove a couple NSX prior to purchasing my 2014 TTS. Discounts were huge and the car drove really well. Sounds good, handles well and looks beautiful.

Biggest problem I had was inability to load a couple carry-ons in the car when on a road trip.

Chose the TTS based on a better driving experience and performance - as well as holding its value. If I had room and needed an extra car, it would be a good choice.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:57 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven31371
do you have the R888 or the new version R888R...I’m told the newest iteration isn’t as loud as the older one...either way, my Magnesium wheels get here in about 10 days...so I’ll mount the R888R’s that are in the garage waiting for them on them when they come...till then I’m just becoming a better driver 😂😂😂

dunno what you owned before this but a 600 whp Corvette wa the fastest car I owned in a straight line until this TTS...and then I didn’t do the upgraded VTG iteration, so I went straight from about 485 whp to over 900...was a BIG jump up all at once.

it took until today for my mind to adjust to Setting B lol...but it has now and I want MORE...so I’m about to run the last quarter of a tank of 91 octane out and fill the tank with 104 to run ‘errands’ with haha

now that my mind has calibrated to this amount of speed and power though, I’m starting to think about ‘next steps’ haha

it’s utterly addictive...another thing that happened today as my mind recalibrated to the higher acceleration rates is that I came back to how insane this car is around curves, which got lost for a few days in the speed tunnel.

how just totally crazy is it to have a car that accelerates like ours do now and still take curves like that!!!!

its now just as much of an assault on the senses to go straight as it was to pull these G’s around curves...that’s what I was really having fun with today...the TOTAL experience of the straight line epic-ness and the curves epic-ness.

dude, we have 1000 horsepower cars with rear wheel steering and active engine mounts and some of the best handling on earth.

its was a VERY special machine before...now I’m just in awe....driving that car is almost a spiritual experience haha.

not to mention that I came up on a Hellcat and of all things a built tiny little FIAT who through some dark magic was keeping up with the Hellcat and I casually went down the center lane and passed both doing 150 mph while they were hitting 100 - 120 or so...just casually walked down a full wot Hellcat and zoomed right by...crazy
i'm not sure if they're the newest, they're only about a year old ( 3000 miles) and the rears are trash so i'll replace them tomorrow.

as for what i owned before i've had a bunch of relatively fast stuff with much higher HP, but this car already ran 9's and my 997 made roughly 750, but this is by far the fastest thing i have ever owned. i assume as is will run a very low 9. i love it.

and now you know... hellcats are target practice
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (09-06-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:09 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,124 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
i'm not sure if they're the newest, they're only about a year old ( 3000 miles) and the rears are trash so i'll replace them tomorrow.

as for what i owned before i've had a bunch of relatively fast stuff with much higher HP, but this car already ran 9's and my 997 made roughly 750, but this is by far the fastest thing i have ever owned. i assume as is will run a very low 9. i love it.

and now you know... hellcats are target practice
I'm looking forward to hearing about the long term reliability of these big power monsters - curious about what you guys break.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:36 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I'm looking forward to hearing about the long term reliability of these big power monsters - curious about what you guys break.
We’ll see, but there are a fair amount of these out there now....there’s big power kits and there are big power kits...not all are equal in terms of reliability.

I’ll say this...I basically told Sam to push the torque and power as much as he possibly could...if at 10 you know it will eventually break, I told him to go to 9...right up to the edge...

he actually refused to do it lol

he said he put a tremendous amount of development in this kit specifically so he could push this much power and NOT risk mechanical failures. He simply was not gunna be one of those shops that puts out big dyno power but the car is always in the shop with something broken.

dont want to jinx anything, but I can tell you from personal experience that at least ByDesign puts a tremendous amount of care into making these car as reliable as they are from the factory.

so from a design/build perspective Sams stuff is solid.

one thing though...user error can come into play here...if your the absent minded type you can have some user error that causes some problems, for example, you set the car settings to kill mode without having your meth pump turned on then do a half mile full wot pull without lifting when it bogs down or something bone headed like that...

there isn’t a way to get this much power and use it without having at least some ability to keep track of a few extra parameters than you do on a factory car....you can actually break it if you don’t follow a few simple instructions...but that’s the trade off for having a car that is pushing the limits of physics 🤷🏻‍♂️

as an aside...I burned through a full tank of race fuel driving it in Kill Mode all day today...the Sport Cup 2’s need to go...ASAP lol

it spins the wheels in every gear change at every speed with those tires...needs the stickier R888R’s ASAP....cause I’m never taking out of Kill Mode again 😂😂😂😳🤣
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (09-06-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 02:54 AM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

one thing though...user error can come into play here...if your the absent minded type you can have some user error that causes some problems, for example, you set the car settings to kill mode without having your meth pump turned on then do a half mile full wot pull without lifting when it bogs down or something bone headed like that...
Use the JB4 to control the methanol system since we have safety systems implemented into it.
Example, you'll get kicked into a low boost (safety) map if AFR goes too lean, methanol isn't spraying, fuel trims maxed, fuel pressure too low, etc.

That system has probably saved my motor in my 335i countless times.

-Payam
Old 07-31-2020, 10:07 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 864 Posts

We’ll see, but there are a fair amount of these out there now....there’s big power kits and there are big power kits...not all are equal in terms of reliability.

I’ll say this...I basically told Sam to push the torque and power as much as he possibly could...if at 10 you know it will eventually break, I told him to go to 9...right up to the edge...

he actually refused to do it lol

he said he put a tremendous amount of development in this kit specifically so he could push this much power and NOT risk mechanical failures. He simply was not gunna be one of those shops that puts out big dyno power but the car is always in the shop with something broken.

dont want to jinx anything, but I can tell you from personal experience that at least ByDesign puts a tremendous amount of care into making these car as reliable as they are from the factory.

so from a design/build perspective Sams stuff is solid.

there isn’t a way to get this much power and use it without having at least some ability to keep track of a few extra parameters than you do on a factory car....you can actually break it if you don’t follow a few simple instructions...but that’s the trade off for having a car that is pushing the limits of physics 🤷🏻‍♂️

as an aside...I burned through a full tank of race fuel driving it in Kill Mode all day today...the Sport Cup 2’s need to go...ASAP lol

it spins the wheels in every gear change at every speed with those tires...needs the stickier R888R’s ASAP....cause I’m never taking out of Kill Mode again 😂😂😂😳🤣
The design of the XR system is OEM Top Tier.

Also very impressive, is the extra strength that Porsche built into the 911 Turbo down line. Trans, transfer case, axles, etc. A lot of high power cars running around on upgraded clutches. Mega power requires a built engine, but the clutch only guys are making impressive power levels on oem parts. Cheers.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:56 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,124 Likes on 3,121 Posts

it spins the wheels in every gear change at every speed with those tires...needs the stickier R888R’s ASAP....cause I’m never taking out of Kill Mode again

I think you will find it 'easy' to spin the wheels, regardless of what rubber is on the car. Gotta say, it sounds like it is very entertaining.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:53 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
it spins the wheels in every gear change at every speed with those tires...needs the stickier R888R’s ASAP....cause I’m never taking out of Kill Mode again

I think you will find it 'easy' to spin the wheels, regardless of what rubber is on the car. Gotta say, it sounds like it is very entertaining.
The car has three settings now, A,B, and C.

A: Is set up to run 91 octane gas only with 721 whp

B: Is set up to run 91 octane and Meth injection 860 whp

C: 104 octane with meth injection 911 whp

when I dropped it off it had 487 whp

when I got it back I really couldn’t tell that much difference between the settings because even in setting A my senses were already so overwhelmed that it all just sorta became white noise...it’s like at some point your so overwhelmed that it doesn’t feel much different to accelerate at 300 feet per second versus 500 feet per second.

but after a day or two my brain calibrated to it and both A and B settings became comfortable...but even after brain recalibration setting C is still totally bonkers and I figured out why, and the why is a testimony to how well Porsche builds these cars.

it turns that it takes setting C...around 1000 crank horsepower before you are operating near this cars limits...it’s like when the Top Gear guys say some of the funnest cars are little light hot hatchbacks that don’t go very fast but are still a blast to drive because you are running the car nears its limits even at relatively low speeds, so it makes them fun cause your on the edge even with less than 200 hp.

Turns out that setting A and B, or over 850 whp doesn’t put this car at its limits.

but at least with Sport Cup 2’s it’s running right on the edge of its limits, or capacity to control that power in setting ‘C’, or what we are calling ‘Kill Mode’ lol......in setting C you have to turn all the nannies off and focus and DRIVE the car, because with each gear change at every speed it’s dancing at the edge of grip, but at insano speeds 😂😂😂

and that my friend, is living lol

but how crazy is it that Porsche built the car so well that you can double it’s power output before approaching its limits to control it lol

it takes over 1000 crank horsepower to push this car to its limits.

Last edited by Steven31371; 08-01-2020 at 08:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steven31371:
Big Swole (09-06-2020), MotoJB (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 04:03 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

The car has three settings now, A,B, and C.

A: Is set up to run 91 octane gas only with 721 whp

B: Is set up to run 91 octane and Meth injection 860 whp

C: 104 octane with meth injection 911 whp

when I dropped it off it had 487 whp

when I got it back I really couldn’t tell that much difference between the settings because even in setting A my senses were already so overwhelmed that it all just sorta became white noise...it’s like at some point your so overwhelmed that it doesn’t feel much different to accelerate at 300 feet per second versus 500 feet per second.

but after a day or two my brain calibrated to it and both A and B settings became comfortable...but even after brain recalibration setting C is still totally bonkers and I figured out why, and the why is a testimony to how well Porsche builds these cars.

it turns that it takes setting C...around 1000 crank horsepower before you are operating near this cars limits...it’s like when the Top Gear guys say some of the funnest cars are little light hot hatchbacks that don’t go very fast but are still a blast to drive because you are running the car nears its limits even at relatively low speeds, so it makes them fun cause your on the edge even with less than 200 hp.

Turns out that setting A and B, or over 850 whp doesn’t put this car at its limits.

but at least with Sport Cup 2’s it’s running right on the edge of its limits, or capacity to control that power in setting ‘C’, or what we are calling ‘Kill Mode’ lol......in setting C you have to turn all the nannies off and focus and DRIVE the car, because with each gear change at every speed it’s dancing at the edge of grip, but at insano speeds 😂😂😂

and that my friend, is living lol

but how crazy is it that Porsche built the car so well that you can double it’s power output before approaching its limits to control it lol

it takes over 1000 crank horsepower to push this car to its limits.
The 721rwhp non meth set-up is interesting. If the torque down low is held to a reasonable limit, the OEM clutches and OEM tires would work well. Do you use Cobb to choose A,B,C ?
Old 08-01-2020, 04:17 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
The 721rwhp non meth set-up is interesting. If the torque down low is held to a reasonable limit, the OEM clutches and OEM tires would work well. Do you use Cobb to choose A,B,C ?
below is the run file with the torque curves for all three settings.

and yeah with setting A the car handles everything well, I don’t think you would need to change the clutch for setting A

yes the Cobb toggles the engine map through the three settings.

there are three devices...you set it then forget it...Cobb changes the ECU map...there is a meth injection control unit that sends the meth in graduated amounts as boost increases, and a third unit that controls the boost.

the boost controller has an A,B,C setting at the push of a button...if in setting A you push one button to turn the meth off and set the Cobb and the boost controller to default to ‘A’ when you start the car every time...all three settings are the same...whichever you want to run in you set it to that and every time you get in the car it defaults to that setting until you change it...

you can also toggle on the fly by leaving the ECU/Cobb set to C...then just push a button on the boost control and dial up the boost and Meth to Kill Mode

Last edited by Steven31371; 08-01-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:15 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Would be cool to have boost, meth control and safeties all integrated into one box without having to go standalone. I wonder who makes something like that?

-Payam
Old 08-01-2020, 05:20 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

below is the run file with the torque curves for all three settings.

and yeah with setting A the car handles everything well, I don’t think you would need to change the clutch for setting A

yes the Cobb toggles the engine map through the three settings.

there are three devices...you set it then forget it...Cobb changes the ECU map...there is a meth injection control unit that sends the meth in graduated amounts as boost increases, and a third unit that controls the boost.

the boost controller has an A,B,C setting at the push of a button...if in setting A you push one button to turn the meth off and set the Cobb and the boost controller to default to ‘A’ when you start the car every time...all three settings are the same...whichever you want to run in you set it to that and every time you get in the car it defaults to that setting until you change it...

you can also toggle on the fly by leaving the ECU/Cobb set to C...then just push a button on the boost control and dial up the boost and Meth to Kill Mode

Thanks . Absolutely KILLER. Would love to see some Dragy 1/8th and 1/4 mile on A.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:59 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Thanks . Absolutely KILLER. Would love to see some Dragy 1/8th and 1/4 mile on A.
Trying to get some but there are cops everywhere this weekend and the DA here is horrible...can’t find a space to get a valid run...

this is the best I could get in and I started accelerating at 55 instead of 40 ish so it wasn’t at full power as it passed through 60

that was yesterday...today DA is 4600 and can’t get under 5 seconds in setting C
Old 08-01-2020, 06:02 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Originally Posted by BMS
Would be cool to have boost, meth control and safeties all integrated into one box without having to go standalone. I wonder who makes something like that?

-Payam
i wonder why most of the fastest Porsche’s aren’t running that BMW box 😂😂😂

just kidding...it sounds cool, I’ll ask my builder about it ;-)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?