Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 07:33 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Pdtp#16
Sneak Pics

EPIC!
Old 07-26-2020, 07:45 PM
Steven31371
Pro

This car has come a long ways...inside and out.

was gorgeous before, and bonkers now

and double the power and about 150 pounds lighter

Last edited by Steven31371; 07-27-2020 at 12:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (09-06-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 08:41 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 858 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven31371
This car has come a long ways...inside and out.

was gorgeous before, and bonkers now

and double the power and about 150 pounds lighter

First of all congrats. Driving impressions, sound etc.?

But are you sure the top one is your car? That looks like a 991.2 vs a 991.1 below. I'm sure you had a fun day.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:28 PM
Redlinerobert
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

I cant even imagine. And here I thought my car was scary fast stock.

Congratulations!
Old 07-27-2020, 12:35 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Originally Posted by rodsky
First of all congrats. Driving impressions, sound etc.?

But are you sure the top one is your car? That looks like a 991.2 vs a 991.1 below. I'm sure you had a fun day.
hah....good catch...just scrolled up to the firsts pics of silver and clicked one I was shopping for not mine.

corrected now.

driving impressions:

I’ll write up a full post tomorrow when I have more time...but the first couple days, we had a few user error bugaboos...namely the car hates the electronic and safety nannies now 😂😂😂

have to turn the no slip system off...and have to get the R888R tires on there ASAP...because while the Sport Cup 2 is an AWESOME tire around curves etc...it absolutely cannot handle 1000 horsepower and torque in the 700’s 😂😂😂

on the drive home from the shop I did some hard highway pulls and when it would switch gears at 70+ mph it spun the wheels and reduced the power so much I thought the car stalled...easy solution, turn traction control off get stickier tires haha

then I had another issue that I had to figure out...it hates the PAS system at these speeds hahaha...when your going that fast and there is a car 200 yards ahead of you it’s convinced your gunna crash and puts the brakes on...very not cool accelerating that hard and having the car randomly slam the brakes on and cut power...and lastly...accelerating around a sweeper curve that fast also trigger the PAS because it think that tree straight ahead of you on the curve it coming at you way too fast haha...but obviously it’s a curve so 🤷🏻‍♂️😂😳🤣

all user errors

so after two days of understanding the new realities of this much power:

I apologize ahead of time for the language, but civilized language can’t do this justice

Holy **** all **** ballz it’s ****ing fast.

like manic fast

like wtf is going on fast

like tunnel vision fast when you have the top down

and it’s slightly less civilized in normal driving but in a good way...like the way a 911 R is...is civilized enough, but more visceral all the time,

and that inconel Kline...woe...it screams like banshee in full throated war cry.....will upload a vid shortly....will need to take one from inside the car with the top down doing a full launch from 0 to 150 mph though...only today did I get use to the speed enough to actually hear what it sounds like on a hard pull to 125 mph.

bonkers

i also figured out how to purge the methanol system in such a way that it does party tricks and shoots 3 foot flames out its ****...which played really well with my 7 year old and his 5 friends living on our street haha

Last edited by Steven31371; 07-27-2020 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:43 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,123 Likes on 3,120 Posts

I had always wondered how they tied the 991.2 down to a dyno; I suppose the same procedure will work for transport. Very cool!
Steven31371 (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 03:20 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Dude...you just casually threw that in there like it’s no big deal lol

Also...fueling on these cars as it’s turns out 🤷🏻‍♂️

With big power that’s our bottleneck I guess
Yes haha, I've installed so many methanol kits on cars it's like second nature to me. Plus I have everything at my disposal.

If I had my PI activated, I wouldn't need to install the methanol kit. Just been bored with a built up slow car because of the lack of fueling.

It was easier for me to install the kit than to reverse engineer something I needed for the PI control with the JB4 LOL.

Once the Syvecs and the bigger turbo kit is on, the fueling and PI kit will be functional.

-Payam
Old 07-27-2020, 09:21 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

hah....good catch...just scrolled up to the firsts pics of silver and clicked one I was shopping for not mine.

corrected now.

driving impressions:

I’ll write up a full post tomorrow when I have more time...but the first couple days, we had a few user error bugaboos...namely the car hates the electronic and safety nannies now 😂😂😂

have to turn the no slip system off...and have to get the R888R tires on there ASAP...because while the Sport Cup 2 is an AWESOME tire around curves etc...it absolutely cannot handle 1000 horsepower and torque in the 700’s 😂😂😂

on the drive home from the shop I did some hard highway pulls and when it would switch gears at 70+ mph it spun the wheels and reduced the power so much I thought the car stalled...easy solution, turn traction control off get stickier tires haha

then I had another issue that I had to figure out...it hates the PAS system at these speeds hahaha...when your going that fast and there is a car 200 yards ahead of you it’s convinced your gunna crash and puts the brakes on...very not cool accelerating that hard and having the car randomly slam the brakes on and cut power...and lastly...accelerating around a sweeper curve that fast also trigger the PAS because it think that tree straight ahead of you on the curve it coming at you way too fast haha...but obviously it’s a curve so 🤷🏻‍♂️😂😳🤣

all user errors

so after two days of understanding the new realities of this much power:

I apologize ahead of time for the language, but civilized language can’t do this justice

like manic fast

and it’s slightly less civilized in normal driving but in a good way...like the way a 911 R is...is civilized enough, but more visceral all the time,

and that inconel Kline...woe...it screams like banshee in full throated war cry.....will upload a vid shortly....will need to take one from inside the car with the top down doing a full launch from 0 to 150 mph though...only today did I get use to the speed enough to actually hear what it sounds like on a hard pull to 125 mph.

bonkers

i also figured out how to purge the methanol system in such a way that it does party tricks and shoots 3 foot flames out its ****...which played really well with my 7 year old and his 5 friends living on our street haha

https://youtu.be/38NbsgFPUeU
yeah even with the cup 2's and 765 whp they stood no chance. i think i ran them for a few days, maybe somebody wants a set with 100 miles on them. 888's fixed a lot of the issues, but they do hum a bit as speed goes over 60 mph.
Steven31371 (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 09:27 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

like manic fast

I have a motorcycle that elicits those exact emotions.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:12 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
yeah even with the cup 2's and 765 whp they stood no chance. i think i ran them for a few days, maybe somebody wants a set with 100 miles on them. 888's fixed a lot of the issues, but they do hum a bit as speed goes over 60 mph.
do you have the R888 or the new version R888R...I’m told the newest iteration isn’t as loud as the older one...either way, my Magnesium wheels get here in about 10 days...so I’ll mount the R888R’s that are in the garage waiting for them on them when they come...till then I’m just becoming a better driver 😂😂😂

dunno what you owned before this but a 600 whp Corvette wa the fastest car I owned in a straight line until this TTS...and then I didn’t do the upgraded VTG iteration, so I went straight from about 485 whp to over 900...was a BIG jump up all at once.

it took until today for my mind to adjust to Setting B lol...but it has now and I want MORE...so I’m about to run the last quarter of a tank of 91 octane out and fill the tank with 104 to run ‘errands’ with haha

now that my mind has calibrated to this amount of speed and power though, I’m starting to think about ‘next steps’ haha

it’s utterly addictive...another thing that happened today as my mind recalibrated to the higher acceleration rates is that I came back to how insane this car is around curves, which got lost for a few days in the speed tunnel.

how just totally crazy is it to have a car that accelerates like ours do now and still take curves like that!!!!

its now just as much of an assault on the senses to go straight as it was to pull these G’s around curves...that’s what I was really having fun with today...the TOTAL experience of the straight line epic-ness and the curves epic-ness.

dude, we have 1000 horsepower cars with rear wheel steering and active engine mounts and some of the best handling on earth.

its was a VERY special machine before...now I’m just in awe....driving that car is almost a spiritual experience haha.

not to mention that I came up on a Hellcat and of all things a built tiny little FIAT who through some dark magic was keeping up with the Hellcat and I casually went down the center lane and passed both doing 150 mph while they were hitting 100 - 120 or so...just casually walked down a full wot Hellcat and zoomed right by...crazy
Old 07-27-2020, 10:17 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst

like manic fast

I have a motorcycle that elicits those exact emotions.
right on...I think it was the big jump from about 485 ish whp to what it is now in one go...my brain had to literally re-calibrate and until it did it was sensory overload haha

as an aside, my best friend was a robotics engineer that left it all to go follow his passion and worked on a Moto GP team in Europe for awhile....he has a little boutique bike building shop in Northern Kentucky now...finds old Harley engines and build these really cool little speedster rat rod bikes out of em...but when he talks about what it’s like to do 200 mph on a bike he gets that 1000 mile stare of bliss like when heroin attics talk about what it was like to shoot up the first time haha

thats one thrill my wife forbade me and I let her.

Last edited by Steven31371; 07-27-2020 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:44 AM
becausephilchow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ordered Do88 Intercoolers, Y Pipe, and Plenum
Ordered Kline Inconel Decat + Headers

Already had the Kline Inconel Catback and Eventuri Intake arrive.

Just waiting for everything to arrive, then will pop it all in, and go Stage 2!
Steven31371 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 12:27 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

right on...I think it was the big jump from about 485 ish whp to what it is now in one go...my brain had to literally re-calibrate and until it did it was sensory overload haha

as an aside, my best friend was a robotics engineer that left it all to go follow his passion and worked on a Moto GP team in Europe for awhile....he has a little boutique bike building shop in Northern Kentucky now...finds old Harley engines and build these really cool little speedster rat rod bikes out of em...but when he talks about what it’s like to do 200 mph on a bike he gets that 1000 mile stare of bliss like when heroin attics talk about what it was like to shoot up the first time haha

thats one thrill my wife forbade me and I let her.
My accountant has the same feeling about me on a bike as your wife has of you on a bike. The fastest I have ever been (on the ground) was one a bike, a hair over 330km/h - in shorts. While I was young and stupid then, it wasn't until a couple of years after did I grasp the magnitude of what it would have been like to come off said bike at 300 feet per second... needless to say, I have not done that again.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:02 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
My accountant has the same feeling about me on a bike as your wife has of you on a bike. The fastest I have ever been (on the ground) was one a bike, a hair over 330km/h - in shorts. While I was young and stupid then, it wasn't until a couple of years after did I grasp the magnitude of what it would have been like to come off said bike at 300 feet per second... needless to say, I have not done that again.
i had a brother that suffered a severe brain trauma in a car crash and had to be in a long term care facility with other brain trauma patients...fully 2/3rds of the people in there were motorcycle accidents, and 95% of them had their helmets ON when they crashed.

So I was veto’d from motorcycles early in life.

as aside...low caliber hand guns and high powered bows shoot at 300 feet per second haha
Old 07-28-2020, 01:05 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

.... and substitute them with a 1000hp car...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?