Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 11:56 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,124 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Have you seen his little aerodynamic caps for the bolts on the intake side of his turbos? Although it is unlikely they add any power, the attention to detail is fantastic and worth noting.

Awhile back, he posted some pics of a Pikes Peak car, along with some associated CADs on the build - I was suitably impressed with the amount time that went into it, along with the end result - it looked like art - as does yours. The only real drawback is that no one can see it, without lifting the car and removing various bits...
Old 07-21-2020, 11:59 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven31371
As far as fit and finish...all the little components nobody thinks about, I swear I think Sam spends all day everyday sourcing bits and pieces and when he finds the best possible component he then calls the manufacturer and gets them to custom tweek it even more to get it more perfecter lol...the guy is obsessed with every imaginable detail of every little component...love it.

I saw some pics where he had one of the shop guys POLISHING a bracket they had to fab that will never be seen by anybody because of its location
You are definitely modding the correct way. XR System is killer because you can actually match the turbine to the compressor. Only way to fly safely with low back pressure.

WELL DONE !
The following users liked this post:
Steven31371 (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 11:59 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Have you seen his little aerodynamic caps for the bolts on the intake side of his turbos? Although it is unlikely they add any power, the attention to detail is fantastic and worth noting.

Awhile back, he posted some pics of a Pikes Peak car, along with some associated CADs on the build - I was suitably impressed with the amount time that went into it, along with the end result - it looked like art - as does yours. The only real drawback is that no one can see it, without lifting the car and removing various bits...
yeah but for me, somebody who loves finely crafted stuff...just knowing it’s there is a bit of a thrill.

like the inner workings of a really finely crafted timepiece...

haha now if they only made the rear end of our cars in see-through material like some if the watch backs haha
Old 07-21-2020, 12:03 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steven31371
yeah but for me, somebody who loves finely crafted stuff...just knowing it’s there is a bit of a thrill.

like the inner workings of a really finely crafted timepiece...

haha now if they only made the rear end of our cars in see-through material like some if the watch backs haha
'Molded Lexan' - not only is it clear, but bulletproof as well...

Old 07-21-2020, 12:36 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
You are definitely modding the correct way. XR System is killer because you can actually match the turbine to the compressor. Only way to fly safely with low back pressure.

WELL DONE !
thanks!

and they mirror the turbine spin/ twist of the air one side to the other like they do in the 992’s...gets better flow too.

instead of both spinning right or both spinning left, they spin opposite directions, which some wonk figured out increases flow...cool stuff.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:50 PM
Steven31371
Pro

It is most certainly useful in managing both heat soak and exhaust velocity - probably less so on velocity with that much power...

I am building (resto-modding) a 996tt which had a full ceramic exhaust - headers, cats, 3.0" pipe - worked very well, and was quite loud. I have added a ti muffler section in an effort to keep the local Boys in Blue happy, but I am considering the Kline Inconel headers for it, which I will coat.
so I got curious about why it was just a given to ceramic coat exhaust components on my Corvette builds, But from the beginning I hadn’t even considered it for this one, so I had to think about it for a second.... then askEd some questions.

Believe it or not the main reason I went with the Bigger XR Turbos, full Inconel Exhaust, and Tial Intercoolers instead of keeping it simple and just boring out some VTG Turbos and putting bigger intercoolers on there is that the XR, Inconel, and Tial combo runs less hot than the stock system...yes, even pushing 1000 HP that system runs less hot than flogging on the car as is from the factory.

you can probably get all the power I want 750-800 whp from a much simpler and lower cost VTG turbo and bigger intercooler upgrade...but the problem with those systems is the constant battle against heat...you can only push the timing and tune so far with lots of heat building up....Stock VTG turbos, especially when bored out to flow more, heat up a lot more at lower boost levels than a bigger XR turbo does at higher power levels...I also chose Inconel over titanium or stainless for better heat management and lighter weight....the super thin Inconel doesn’t hold onto the heat the way stainless does....and finally I chose the Tial Intercoolers over AMS or CFS because the Tial are a more advanced design and cool as efficiently as AMS but have far less mass and will retain inevitable heat soak less...I.e. they cool as well as the other option but retain the heat they accumulate for much less time....they simply have less metal to store the heat in while having more surface area to cool with.

bottom line, I paid extra money for the lightness of Inconel and a system that runs cooler and safer than what came from the factory when pushed to either systems respective limits...so if it runs cooler than stock, no reason to add weight and cost to make it any cooler for what would be VERY marginal gains.

Strangely, if I were running the less powerful upgraded VTG turbos I’d probably want Zinchromium or ceramic coating...because those systems are constantly battling the heat when pushed...the XR/Tial/Inconel setup doesn’t have that as a big a problem...heat and heat soak don’t become the bottleneck...fueling and lack of forged engine internals become the bottleneck not heat as it does in other setups.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:15 AM
strummr
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by strummr
Just arrived from Germany today. (1.5 month wait) I was told one of two sets available: The Turbo S, Porsche Exclusive wheelset. Will post pics after install.

Not the best pic... led lighting in my detached, not flattering. But I got the Exclusive wheels on - damn near pulled a hernia breaking the centerlocks loose. (torquing back to 442# was easy - 4' 3/4" breaker bar)
Car is on Tim Bailey's 6th rev tune (~23psi), 100cell Europipe... nothing else yet; getting a bit of mod-exhaustion (I think the recent ott mod runs: S4>M3>Z06>GT-R (A12+), and the 2 prior TTSs (stg 2) burnt me out - not that there's anywhere in NoVA to use it)
Ludez (09-08-2022)
Old 07-22-2020, 11:35 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Those do look very good indeed, congrats!
Old 07-22-2020, 11:43 AM
strummr
Rennlist Member

Those do look very good indeed, congrats!
Thanks. The look is more subtle than I expected - the spokes are very thin (like OZ Ultraleggera thin). I can see why on the Exclusive series, the wheels get the gold stripes.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:44 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

They are much better looking without the gold, especially against the silver.
Big Swole (09-06-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 12:21 PM
strummr
Rennlist Member

They are much better looking without the gold, especially against the silver.
Agreed. I specifically only wanted a pure gloss black set - again, just to make it work better with the gloss black aero pkg.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:40 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Got debilitated by a drywall nail....

Old 07-22-2020, 03:41 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by strummr
Agreed. I specifically only wanted a pure gloss black set - again, just to make it work better with the gloss black aero pkg.
They still attract nails and the like with noooo problem...

Old 07-22-2020, 07:12 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

That blows !!.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:13 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I swear I have fixed more holes in these tyres in the last two years than I have in all my vehicles combined in the last ten.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?