Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 06:53 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Really hate that happened. Dang deer. I left a NHRA race at midnight in 2015 and had just set the cruise control on the 4 lane. Deer jumped from a bank right into the center of my suv. Destroyed the front fascia, front hood, broke the windshield, airbags deployed and I could not see due to the dust ......zipping down the 4 lane....with a hood ornament and steam flying everywhere ......fun,fun.fun....
Your profile does not say where u live. B aware that in some areas,
I have read that auto insurance companies might cancel your policy on the first deer collision.
Shame on them!
A buddy of mine had this happen a 2nd time in TX Hill Country and totaled his Cayman GTS. Fortunately he had all his policies with a single agent. He told his agent he hit a deer. His agent interrupted and corrected him. He said "The deer ran out and hit you!" Got to love that agent!

Last edited by PCA1983; 09-18-2022 at 07:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
onfireTTS (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 09:29 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,124 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
Had a great time with other Porsche enthusiasts enjoying a free concert at a local vineyard yesterday. The drive home, I had my first deer strike in my 46 years of driving. A dent over the front side marker and pushed the front quarter panel out of alignment with the door. I'm sure others have had much worse, but this sucks!

At least you were not injured, safety is priority number one, acts of God are exactly that, unpredictable.

Damaged can be easily repaired, it's not like you hit a moose....
Old 09-19-2022, 12:02 AM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
At least you were not injured, safety is priority number one, acts of God are exactly that, unpredictable.

Damaged can be easily repaired, it's not like you hit a moose....
Yes, I'm glad there were no injuries except for maybe the deer. His head hit my side mirror hard enough to cause the mirror to fold in. We saw the deer get back up, but me thinks he will have a hell of a headache. And I can't even imagine hitting a moose. Fortunately, moose are very rare here in middle TN. LOL
Old 09-19-2022, 11:12 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ahhhhhh yes, the elusive Tennessee Moose... very rare.
RadarP3C (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 11:58 AM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 105 Posts

Dang...Could have been much worse. Glad everything is ok. One of my employees husband hit a Elk last week up north in his Lexus. It was totaled.
RadarP3C (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 12:29 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 974 Likes on 590 Posts

Glad it wasn’t worse.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
RadarP3C (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 12:44 PM
nismonian
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Ouch! glad it seems "minor" actually, am surprised there doesn't seem to be any paint damage?
RadarP3C (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 01:57 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nismonian
Ouch! glad it seems "minor" actually, am surprised there doesn't seem to be any paint damage?
I think the PPF and Ceramic coating on top of the PPF helped.
nismonian (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 02:09 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Copy / Paste from my thread but figured some might like to know when buying tires.

These are the Conti Extreme Sports in Stock sizes.

I really want to try the 265 / 325 setup next year.... Can anyone confirm I can do with on my Stock TTS 5 lug wheels (supposedly same widths as the CL's)

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Will be curious to hear your thoughts on them.

Okay so I did a 500+ miles wknd to the Tail of the Dragon for a DragonRally drive. 270+ miles of curvy roads in 8 hours ish.

Thoughts on these Conti's. At first I was really unsure I made a good decision. Pressures were up for mileage on the hwy getting there on Friday and had to hit some decent curves that afternoon. They were less than confidence inspiring and were making lots of noise (Swishing in corners at speed. Not really squealing but they were brand new so I figured they'd need scrubbed in).

Lowered the pressure to where they were around 36-38 Front HOT and 38-39 psi Rear HOT. They definitely got better with lower pressures and being broken in However, These tires definitely like to move around a bit more than my older PS4S's. They still make more noise also. As the day went on and I made my way to the front where the "really fast" folks were, I definitely tested the limits.

The good part is, even though they move around, it's a Fun and predictable movement. I was able to slide and drift it a bit but had no trouble going to the floor at any point. Full disclosure though, I did leave traction control on with these tight and unpredictable roads. I noticed my light coming on more often under loss of traction with these tires compared to the PS4S's!

Conclusion - They are not a bad tire but is different. Good different. For the small amount of savings though comparatively, I don't quite think it's worth it to Not go with the Michelin's. I'll continue to update, as I'll run these over the fall / winter. I do love them on my S2K and they were flawless when driving that car at 9/10ths on the same roads on my last trip there.

For the average driver that never pushes the 8-10 tenths on very very aggressive roads like these, I think these Conti's will be an Amazing tire for the decent savings compared to the Michelin's.
The following 5 users liked this post by Big Swole:
DarienA (09-21-2022), gbakerge (09-20-2022), Need4S (09-25-2022), Pb Pedis (09-19-2022), RadarP3C (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 02:17 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

Great write up!
Big Swole (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 03:40 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Copy / Paste from my thread but figured some might like to know when buying tires.

These are the Conti Extreme Sports in Stock sizes.

I really want to try the 265 / 325 setup next year.... Can anyone confirm I can do with on my Stock TTS 5 lug wheels (supposedly same widths as the CL's)

Okay so I did a 500+ miles wknd to the Tail of the Dragon for a DragonRally drive. 270+ miles of curvy roads in 8 hours ish.

Thoughts on these Conti's. At first I was really unsure I made a good decision. Pressures were up for mileage on the hwy getting there on Friday and had to hit some decent curves that afternoon. They were less than confidence inspiring and were making lots of noise (Swishing in corners at speed. Not really squealing but they were brand new so I figured they'd need scrubbed in).

Lowered the pressure to where they were around 36-38 Front HOT and 38-39 psi Rear HOT. They definitely got better with lower pressures and being broken in However, These tires definitely like to move around a bit more than my older PS4S's. They still make more noise also. As the day went on and I made my way to the front where the "really fast" folks were, I definitely tested the limits.

The good part is, even though they move around, it's a Fun and predictable movement. I was able to slide and drift it a bit but had no trouble going to the floor at any point. Full disclosure though, I did leave traction control on with these tight and unpredictable roads. I noticed my light coming on more often under loss of traction with these tires compared to the PS4S's!

Conclusion - They are not a bad tire but is different. Good different. For the small amount of savings though comparatively, I don't quite think it's worth it to Not go with the Michelin's. I'll continue to update, as I'll run these over the fall / winter. I do love them on my S2K and they were flawless when driving that car at 9/10ths on the same roads on my last trip there.

For the average driver that never pushes the 8-10 tenths on very very aggressive roads like these, I think these Conti's will be an Amazing tire for the decent savings compared to the Michelin's.
Thank you for the write up; good to know.

Cheers,
Big Swole (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 03:42 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Glad it wasn’t worse.
Yes, he could have broken his ankle....

Hope you're feeling better!
Old 09-19-2022, 05:15 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

​​​​​​​
Old 09-19-2022, 06:52 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 974 Likes on 590 Posts

Haha touché!
Old 09-20-2022, 09:22 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
...Thoughts on these Conti's. At first I was really unsure I made a good decision. Pressures were up for mileage on the hwy getting there on Friday and had to hit some decent curves that afternoon. They were less than confidence inspiring and were making lots of noise (Swishing in corners at speed. Not really squealing but they were brand new so I figured they'd need scrubbed in)....Lowered the pressure to where they were around 36-38 Front HOT and 38-39 psi Rear HOT. They definitely got better with lower pressures and being broken in However, These tires definitely like to move around a bit more than my older PS4S's. They still make more noise also. As the day went on and I made my way to the front where the "really fast" folks were, I definitely tested the limits...The good part is, even though they move around, it's a Fun and predictable movement. I was able to slide and drift it a bit but had no trouble going to the floor at any point. Full disclosure though, I did leave traction control on with these tight and unpredictable roads. I noticed my light coming on more often under loss of traction with these tires compared to the PS4S's!...Conclusion - They are not a bad tire but is different. Good different. For the small amount of savings though comparatively, I don't quite think it's worth it to Not go with the Michelin's...For the average driver that never pushes the 8-10 tenths on very very aggressive roads like these, I think these Conti's will be an Amazing tire for the decent savings compared to the Michelin's.
This is such valuable feedback for the whole forum. Thanks again for posting your experience with these tires - all of us benefit from detailed insight like this.
Big Swole (09-20-2022)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?