Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 06:50 PM
heyitsfish
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluemax2
Thanks brother. Can't wait. I think we are going to be patient around the whole track for a little bit.
I am very jealous about INDE. That is definitely on the wish list to visit but small kids and a crazy work schedule make that trip a little hard. Looks like a great time though.

Question, does AMP still have sound restrictions for the PCA events?
Old 11-02-2022, 07:27 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by heyitsfish
I am very jealous about INDE. That is definitely on the wish list to visit but small kids and a crazy work schedule make that trip a little hard. Looks like a great time though.

Question, does AMP still have sound restrictions for the PCA events?
It's our first time there also been waiting to go myself.

Yes it still does unfortunately. But I run swing away pipes and just make it. I think we have the same exhaust systems. Ardent made mine.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:20 PM
heyitsfish
Rennlist Member

Thanks brother. Can't wait. I think we are going to be patient around the whole track for a little bit.
It's our first time there also been waiting to go myself.

Yes it still does unfortunately. But I run swing away pipes and just make it. I think we have the same exhaust systems. Ardent made mine.
Gotcha. Yeah I currently have the Kline 3" catless but with dumped external wastegates. So I think I am a no-go unless I also do turn-downs and recirculate the wastegate dumps. I might be in the minority, but I actually enjoy the sounds of the dumped wastegates. It takes me back to my DSM days. Check back in with me 5-10 years from now when I am picking out a set of hearing aids.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:40 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 653 Posts

. I might be in the minority, but I actually enjoy the sounds of the dumped wastegates. It takes me back to my DSM days….
Ohhhh. I got my start at Club DSM and the talon digest with my 2G fwd back in 1995, and used to frequent the IRC channel too. I even wrote a VFAQ for a 16G install on a 2G after doing it on my car.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:09 AM
heyitsfish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
Ohhhh. I got my start at Club DSM and the talon digest with my 2G fwd back in 1995, and used to frequent the IRC channel too. I even wrote a VFAQ for a 16G install on a 2G after doing it on my car.
They were great cars when they were running properly. I had a 1G awd Talon with a 50 trim that was really hard to beat for the money and then graduated to an 2G GSX with a built motor and 20g. That was my first “fast” car relatively speaking for the time.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:58 AM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 105 Posts

Gotcha. Yeah I currently have the Kline 3" catless but with dumped external wastegates. So I think I am a no-go unless I also do turn-downs and recirculate the wastegate dumps. I might be in the minority, but I actually enjoy the sounds of the dumped wastegates. It takes me back to my DSM days. Check back in with me 5-10 years from now when I am picking out a set of hearing aids.

Yeah I have the same Kline 3" catless also. But still have the stock turbo's for the moment. I bet you car sounds awesome with the wastegate dumps. The Kline system alone sounds great can't imagine it with the dumps.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:33 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

They were great cars when they were running properly. I had a 1G awd Talon with a 50 trim that was really hard to beat for the money and then graduated to an 2G GSX with a built motor and 20g. That was my first “fast” car relatively speaking for the time.
I almost bought a GSX back in the day; it pulled very well in stock form. Ended up buying a Type R instead, not the same turbo rush, but the screaming four banger had lots of grins per mile.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:22 PM
heyitsfish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I almost bought a GSX back in the day; it pulled very well in stock form. Ended up buying a Type R instead, not the same turbo rush, but the screaming four banger had lots of grins per mile.
Likely better resale and reliability as well with the Type R. The GSX was very good at testing my patience along with ability to diagnose and fix issues on my own given I was ~18 and couldn't afford to take it to a shop every other week.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:24 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I didn't realize they were that unreliable; I thought the power plant was a direct descendent of the one Mitsu used in rallying.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:02 PM
heyitsfish
Rennlist Member

I didn't realize they were that unreliable; I thought the power plant was a direct descendent of the one Mitsu used in rallying.
No you are right, the 4G63 powerplant was phenomenal and eventually made its way into the Evo. It was more the small electrical and boost/vacuum gremlins which always seemed to pop up. The motor, even the stock one in my Talon, was a real trooper and put up with a lot of abuse from a bigger turbo and me self tuning with very little knowledge. The good old days with manual boost controllers and using DSM Link for fuel/timing control. I was the literal definition of the "maybe one more PSI" meme that always floats around. I am a little more reserved (but not much) with the 911.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:20 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No you are right, the 4G63 powerplant was phenomenal and eventually made its way into the Evo. It was more the small electrical and boost/vacuum gremlins which always seemed to pop up. The motor, even the stock one in my Talon, was a real trooper and put up with a lot of abuse from a bigger turbo and me self tuning with very little knowledge. The good old days with manual boost controllers and using DSM Link for fuel/timing control. I was the literal definition of the "maybe one more PSI" meme that always floats around. I am a little more reserved (but not much) with the 911.
I did the same thing with my Sti, it was an expensive lesson when I blew the motor up, and more than irritating when once it was rebuilt, I couldn't get it running again.

That was my only effort to program a standalone.... went back to the factory ecu and Cobb, life has been good since.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:27 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 653 Posts

I think they were unreliable - especially the 2G models with their weaker components. After upgrading to the standard sport turbo I decided against trying to build the motor and moved to a different platform altogether - mkiv Supra.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:53 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The Supra had a fantastic engine in it, knew a guy from Calgary that ran one in One Lap, not a single issue, pushing 900hp. Neat toy.
The following users liked this post:
TeesTurboS (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 09:36 AM
TeesTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

The Supra had a fantastic engine in it, knew a guy from Calgary that ran one in One Lap, not a single issue, pushing 900hp. Neat toy.
Built a 2JZ-GTE (Supra) motor for a Lexus SC back in 2010. Made 1050RWHP on E85 and a ProEFI standalone. Beast of a motor in its day and still one.
The following users liked this post:
Pb Pedis (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 09:39 AM
TeesTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Got around to installing my Kline Inconel headers and Kline Inconel exhaust (Thanks to Sam for hooking me up with this 'Exclusive' version of the Kline Inconel exhaust) this last weekend. Just installed a Sam, By-Design tune. Looking forward to better sounds and more ooomph!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?