Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 12:05 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
This isn't sophisticated but here goes. I had my 991 for 2 years without my DSC. I thought it rode fine. In normal mode over freeways, the ride was a little jittery / stiff. Much better than my 997 but it bounced some. On the way to golf there's a road with these micro-bumps to get people to slow down. And the car didnt absorb them very well. Obviously this car isn't a Lexus and I didn't want it to have a plush ride and i didnt really want for anything more. I know its a high performance sports / GT car but to be honest my GTi rode a little better.

I had heard that the DSC improved things and heard great feedback - more so for Turbo's than GT3's etc. So i got one - recently. In the grand scheme of mods - its relatively inexpensive. I think it made a pretty good difference especially in normal mode. It absorbs the bumps so much better and the ride is less "jarring". Its a big difference in our So Cal freeways that aren't the smoothest where before the car felt it was bouncing. I have another fast sweeping freeway interchange with a bump that always unsettled the car a little. The DSC keeps it better planted. I haven't had time to do a very aggressive Canyon run but overall it feels like a transformed car to me with no drawbacks.
Very cool. I was hoping to get mine on Friday but the Polar Vortex has it stuck somewhere between Toronto and here. As luck would have it, today is a Provicnical holiday and tomorrow I am going to very northern Alberta (vacation, of course...) so I will have to wait until the weekend past next to get it installed.

I am thinking I can probably handle the install with doing too much other collateral damage to the car - the videos on the DSC site seem pretty straight forward.

Cannot wait! If I have the time, I will hook up a data logger with a couple of accelerometers and do some before and after runs over the tracks near my office - this, however, may be wishful thinking...
Old 02-15-2021, 12:19 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Very cool. I was hoping to get mine on Friday but the Polar Vortex has it stuck somewhere between Toronto and here. As luck would have it, today is a Provicnical holiday and tomorrow I am going to very northern Alberta (vacation, of course...) so I will have to wait until the weekend past next to get it installed.

I am thinking I can probably handle the install with doing too much other collateral damage to the car - the videos on the DSC site seem pretty straight forward.

Cannot wait! If I have the time, I will hook up a data logger with a couple of accelerometers and do some before and after runs over the tracks near my office - this, however, may be wishful thinking...
That would be interesting to see that data. Some facts vs butt feel

If you don't have a Cab, the install looks very simple. I had my car in for new wheels etc., so the guys at World just installed it for me. I was watching and it was pretty easy except for the Cab part making it awkward to get back to where the PASM controller is.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:30 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, hardtop here - so I do think it should be easier.

I am trying to think of a way to get an accelerometer hard mounted in the car without drilling holes through the chassis.

On the road to the office, there are three points where one has to cross tracks and uneven pavement. With the Michelin Winters on, the ride is considerably better than with the PS4s within the city, but out on the open road, I don't really notice any harshness with the PS4s, so my test strip will be in the city.

My current thinking is that I can place the unit in the frunk and put something heavy on top of it to keep it down, but my concern is that it may be so jarring that whatever I use to weigh it down may in fact skew the data as it bangs on the top off the logger.

Any suggestions on how to overcome this without going through the chassis would be welcome.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:37 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 152 Posts

I would also add a real life example of how the DSC has helped for me with a Stage 3 setup. Prior to the installation of the DSC when I did a log for Sam with a third gear pull to redline, when I hit some bumps in the road, the wheels would spin and the related rev limiter and nannies would kick in. You could see it on the log as jittery lines where the car struggled to maintain traction. After my install of the DSC this washboard effect over road irregularities has become noticeably better. Not entirely gone but big difference.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 01:31 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Ttz06vette
I would also add a real life example of how the DSC has helped for me with a Stage 3 setup. Prior to the installation of the DSC when I did a log for Sam with a third gear pull to redline, when I hit some bumps in the road, the wheels would spin and the related rev limiter and nannies would kick in. You could see it on the log as jittery lines where the car struggled to maintain traction. After my install of the DSC this washboard effect over road irregularities has become noticeably better. Not entirely gone but big difference.

Any dragy numbers on your Stage 3 ?
Old 02-15-2021, 02:21 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Seems it works just as well on the 991's as it did on my 997.2.

Thanks for those who gave their personal takes.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:23 PM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
This isn't sophisticated but here goes. I had my 991 for 2 years without my DSC. I thought it rode fine. In normal mode over freeways, the ride was a little jittery / stiff. Much better than my 997 but it bounced some. On the way to golf there's a road with these micro-bumps to get people to slow down. And the car didnt absorb them very well. Obviously this car isn't a Lexus and I didn't want it to have a plush ride and i didnt really want for anything more. I know its a high performance sports / GT car but to be honest my GTi rode a little better.

I had heard that the DSC improved things and heard great feedback - more so for Turbo's than GT3's etc. So i got one - recently. In the grand scheme of mods - its relatively inexpensive. I think it made a pretty good difference especially in normal mode. It absorbs the bumps so much better and the ride is less "jarring". Its a big difference in our So Cal freeways that aren't the smoothest where before the car felt it was bouncing. I have another fast sweeping freeway interchange with a bump that always unsettled the car a little. The DSC keeps it better planted. I haven't had time to do a very aggressive Canyon run but overall it feels like a transformed car to me with no drawbacks.

Good to know, I'm considering one as well.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:26 PM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Yes, hardtop here - so I do think it should be easier.

I am trying to think of a way to get an accelerometer hard mounted in the car without drilling holes through the chassis.

On the road to the office, there are three points where one has to cross tracks and uneven pavement. With the Michelin Winters on, the ride is considerably better than with the PS4s within the city, but out on the open road, I don't really notice any harshness with the PS4s, so my test strip will be in the city.

My current thinking is that I can place the unit in the frunk and put something heavy on top of it to keep it down, but my concern is that it may be so jarring that whatever I use to weigh it down may in fact skew the data as it bangs on the top off the logger.

Any suggestions on how to overcome this without going through the chassis would be welcome.
Perhaps you can sticky-back-velcro the accelerometer in the cabin to the back carpet or rear tunnel near the center of the car.
Thinking out loud.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:49 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 62 Posts

While this is not actually a Porsche accessory........

We bought a Cocker Spaniel puppy on Valentines Day! Actually we put a deposit down on the puppy as mom is not due to deliver till end of March... so figuring we will be able to take him/her home sometime towards the end of May.
This will be our traveling companion for the next decade or more. The TTS is already setup for dog comfort travel.

At the moment the top male name is "Turbo" and we are not sure on a female name at this time.
The following 2 users liked this post by bmwexpat:
Beezupra (02-15-2021), CodyzWorld (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 03:58 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Any dragy numbers on your Stage 3 ?
Nope...still using the Butt Dragy and living vicariously through all of your results with similar setups. I actually don’t care as much about the numbers as the feel of the car. Last tune with more boost under the curve vs. higher in the band is the best so far . That said, a Dragy is still on my mod list.
Big Swole (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 05:18 PM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Ttz06vette
Nope...still using the Butt Dragy and living vicariously through all of your results with similar setups. I actually don’t care as much about the numbers as the feel of the car. Last tune with more boost under the curve vs. higher in the band is the best so far . That said, a Dragy is still on my mod list.
I am all about the feel too.
It seems that most everyone likes to focus on more horsepower, where the biggest numbers are in a higher gear at redline and where you don't get much opportunity to use it (especially on the street)!
Personally, I would like more torque and midrange power that you can feel with the butt dyno, please!
Ttz06vette (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 10:48 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Seems it works just as well on the 991's as it did on my 997.2.

Thanks for those who gave their personal takes.
i had one on my 997 and on my 991.2 now. wouldn't have it any other way.
Big Swole (02-15-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 08:09 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vrybad
Perhaps you can sticky-back-velcro the accelerometer in the cabin to the back carpet or rear tunnel near the center of the car.
Thinking out loud.
That is a good idea.

Might lose a little resolution, but it should show the difference of before an after.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:24 PM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

That is a good idea.

Might lose a little resolution, but it should show the difference of before an after.
You're correct, I forgot about the resolution.
It might be diminished a bit.
I guess it's worth a try.
Could probably fold down the rear seats and velcro it to the carpet there, too, or to the area between the rear speakers?
It's been a couple months since I've looked in the rear of my car, so I'm just going off memory.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:31 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I will go with the frunk mounting - I want it as close to the the front suspension as possible so nothing gets lost moving through the chassis - Porsche has done a stellar job in isolating NVH throughout the chassis, so the frunk is likely to be less isolated...
vrybad (02-17-2021)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?