Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 11:35 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Dodson high stage clutch kit with billet pan and bracing

I have to admit, I am very curious of the longevity of transmission components at this power level. Historically, with the exception of the odd motor here and there, most of the failures I have induced from modifying vehicles has been with transmissions.

There seems to be a number of folks that have had some kind of PDK issue, from chattering clutches, to leaks, to solenoid failures, random electronic warnings/message, over a wide range of mileages (and models), but I do not recall anyone posting anything about grenading their gearbox whilst feeding it 1400 odd HP - is this type of reliability associated with the overall design of the PDK or is it, in your case, a function of having it rebuilt with Dodson components?

I think it is truly impressive that you, Sam and a select few are capable of building daily driven cars like this - I am just jealous of you guys in that, I live in a place where I will never really be able to enjoy something such as a build like that, without serious exposure to jail.

Good stuff.
Agreed.

I am also majorly impressed with the hp/tq capacity of the bone stock clutch and trans. A lot of cars running 9’s bone stock and zero issues by keeping the torque peak around 650 at the tire. Incredible.

The new C8 DCT is barely holding stock power in the 11’s. Blowing through the clutch with small power adders.

Porsche overachieved on this one. And the 992 is even stronger. Killer.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 11:42 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Agreed.

I am also majorly impressed with the hp/tq capacity of the bone stock clutch and trans. A lot of cars running 9’s bone stock and zero issues by keeping the torque peak around 650 at the tire. Incredible.

The new C8 DCT is barely holding stock power in the 11’s. Blowing through the clutch with small power adders.

Porsche overachieved on this one. And the 992 is even stronger. Killer.
I do believe there is an extra cog in the 992, and, the new case has been built with an eye of future electrification/hybridization - which should be interesting.

Doesn't ZF build the box that is in the C8? And if I am not mistaken, ZF assembles and manages the PDK for Porsche - please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:04 PM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I do believe there is an extra cog in the 992, and, the new case has been built with an eye of future electrification/hybridization - which should be interesting.

Doesn't ZF build the box that is in the C8? And if I am not mistaken, ZF assembles and manages the PDK for Porsche - please correct me if I am wrong.
no, C8 is a tremec product. That’s what happens when you price extremely aggressively, you have to bean count everything and that means not building a trans that’s more expensive that could handle more power than stock. They’ll improve it for higher output only as necessary
Old 12-11-2020, 12:10 PM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by TtimeS
no, C8 is a tremec product. That’s what happens when you price extremely aggressively, you have to bean count everything and that means not building a trans that’s more expensive that could handle more power than stock. They’ll improve it for higher output only as necessary
The problem is that GM really cut it close, as I understand even 100tq over stock to the wheels and it is giving up.
They will need to do some upgrades to handle the C8 Z06 and other variants.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:11 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, now that you mention that, that rings familiar.

Still, 'performance' and 'budget' are not good bedfellows.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:13 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

*Thinks back to the M21 Rock Crusher*
Old 12-11-2020, 12:16 PM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

^^^ the good old days...
Old 12-11-2020, 12:18 PM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by vrybad
The problem is that GM really cut it close, as I understand even 100tq over stock to the wheels and it is giving up.
They will need to do some upgrades to handle the C8 Z06 and other variants.
that’s exactly my point, to make the car handle Z06 power at base (495 hp) in their eyes would be unnecessary cost. If porsche cut the cost of the 911 by 20-30k I guarantee the quality and the “overbuilt” of the car would not be there. That’s what I love about my 991.2 TTS, throw some mods on it and it’s fine no concerns about PDK. Do that to corvette and you better be careful!!
Need4S (12-23-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 12:20 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

that’s exactly my point, to make the car handle Z06 power at base (495 hp) in their eyes would be unnecessary cost. If porsche cut the cost of the 911 by 20-30k I guarantee the quality and the “overbuilt” of the car would not be there. That’s what I love about my 991.2 TTS, throw some mods on it and it’s fine no concerns about PDK. Do that to corvette and you better be careful!!
There are a couple of videos circulating with failures you note - the one on the drag strip during a launch was particularly painful to watch.
TtimeS (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 12:21 PM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

I agree with you about GM's approach, as well as the fact that the 991's are nicely overbuilt.
Well worth the money, IMO.
I doubt I'd ever go back to a vette but who knows.
TtimeS (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 01:53 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 653 Posts

This concept of *build it to match the OEM power with the sales price, and not 10HP more* is pretty common. I think very few manufacturers today choose to overbuild their OEM platforms. In the 90's, I had a 1994 Supra 6 speed (mkiv) and I couldn't believe how stout the OEM long block and transmission were, and how reliable the car was with a big single turbo upgrade at 650HP and pump gas, over 100% increase over OEM. I have to wonder which, if any, manufacturers do that anymore. Why should they? There's more money in denying warranties (for mods) and building the driveline to meet but not exceed a specific performance target.

Case in point for me: I was seriously considering a Nissan GTR before I bought my .2TTS. After spending 3 months reading the GTR forums, I could only conclude the following: I better not *ever* use launch control with the car's stock transmission, and I would be foolish to mod the GTR without upgrading the transmission too. I can't deal with a car like that.

Last edited by Pb Pedis; 12-11-2020 at 03:59 PM.
TtimeS (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 03:52 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 192 Posts

Everyday I’m astounded that the tranny holds this much torque and power with nothing more than a billet trans brace that costs practically nothing to install helping it out.

We did have to do the clutch on mine but the Dodson clutch drives very close to OEM feel so that was no big deal at all while we had the engine out anyway.

I was looking at building my engine so it could spin 8000 rpm safely, and the engine can be built to do that pretty easily, but that’s where the tranny and clutches run into limitations...they will take an astounding amount of torque and HP but if you crank up the rpm too high they spin fluids.

Also a surprise to me is how much volumetric efficiency you can get out of these engines. On my next stage I think we will be getting about 321 hp per liter at the crank.

Another surprise is that the pistons and pistons rods are the weak point not the trans when you start dialing up the torque above about 750.

as an aside, I never thought I could have a love affair with a car this way...I travel a lot for work and every single day I’m away I miss my kids but I crave getting in that car lol

Last edited by Steven31371; 12-11-2020 at 03:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steven31371:
Big Swole (12-11-2020), Steve Cole (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 09:10 PM
Phattymcgee
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven31371
as an aside, I never thought I could have a love affair with a car this way...I travel a lot for work and every single day I’m away I miss my kids but I crave getting in that car lol
I totally agree. This is car 43 or so for me and I have never loved one like this. I think I have run out of cars to try. I have to have a back seat for taking my girls to gymnastics every night. What else has a back seat that you can have this much fun in?

I am quarantining for Covid right now at a hotel so I don’t take a chance of getting the wife, kids, and elderly in-laws sick. I decided tonight that I would run by the house and pick up the p car in the morning and take a trip up to the mountains since I haven’t taken it up to run the tail of the dragon yet. Gonna be an awesome quarantine day tomorrow!
Big Swole (12-11-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 03:18 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Phattymcgee
I totally agree. This is car 43 or so for me and I have never loved one like this. I think I have run out of cars to try. I have to have a back seat for taking my girls to gymnastics every night. What else has a back seat that you can have this much fun in?

I am quarantining for Covid right now at a hotel so I don’t take a chance of getting the wife, kids, and elderly in-laws sick. I decided tonight that I would run by the house and pick up the p car in the morning and take a trip up to the mountains since I haven’t taken it up to run the tail of the dragon yet. Gonna be an awesome quarantine day tomorrow!
WOOT!.....I think if you start using the free time allotted from quarantine to drive that car quarantine might suddenly last longer, or need to be intermittently repeated for a day or two here abs there haha

’Honey, I have to go out for a bit for your safety, it’s Corona time hun, safety first’ 😂😂😂
cosmo1 (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 09:19 AM
IdTamer
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Haven't posted in a while but work has continued.

From this

To this

Voila!

Full build thread to follow. Added the gt2rs bits I like but kept the all wheel drive and everyday drivability of the turbo. Only performance mods are the kline exhaust from agentorange and the dsc v3. Fast enough for me (for now).

The following 6 users liked this post by IdTamer:
Big Swole (12-12-2020), BMS (12-12-2020), Dennis C (12-12-2020), Pb Pedis (12-13-2020), rodsky (12-12-2020), sullic (12-12-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?