Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020 | 03:28 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Default More ByDesign ****

Went to look at the progress and get some of my stock parts out of the way at their shop.

So in love with all the little details that Sambo comes up with in his kits.

For example these do88 inlet pipes that are custom manufactured and supplied to Sam per his spec...

so much bigger than the stock parts, and per his spec don’t narrow at any point in the routing so the air doesn’t compress at any point and get slowed or heated by the compression of the airflow.... and the engineer of the materials on the parts themselves...REALLY high quality engineering.

Stock air connectors versus do88 custom spec stuff

On the off the shelf do88 part that connector narrows significantly but on Sambo’s custom spec it doesn’t It’s the details like that that make me very pleased with choosing Sam and ByDesign...also the team of people he works with are all top notch too....good stuff

Old 07-11-2020 | 04:10 PM
osunick
Racer

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Truly hate that you were offended. I’ve worked with awesome people from all areas across the world. Absolutely outstanding folks. Greatly respected.

The only thing that I have noticed (not that it matters since it’s only my observation) , different age groups react differently to different statements. I’ve had to learn (continually) and adapt.

I’m from “the older” age group. The swine flu originated here. If someone called it the USA Flu, the American Flu, or the Brown Hair Old White Tall Guy Flu (me) , it wouldn’t even get my attention. Much less be offended. So that takes some thought time on my part to try to understand.

But the last thing (would really bother me) is if I did something that hurt someone’s feelings. Not good. I run a very tight ship at my shop to make sure all the males and females are shown respect. I also monitor that as the atmosphere is constantly changing/evolving with the new generation (s) coming up.

The most intriguing situations always occur when the “older gen” employees complain that the “younger gen” employees doesn’t understand them and the “younger gen” employees complain that the “older gen” employees doesn’t understand them. Both gens want the other to change. Fun stuff.
My two cents, and I'll get off my soapbox. For Asian-Americans like me in our mid 40s, we faced a lot of racism in the 80s, and things then got a lot better. In my upper middle class school I was called names by people who didn't really have any ill will, but it was a constant reminder that I was different. Then things got a lot better for us. The problem is when people say 'chinese flu' or 'kung flu', maybe no ill will is intended by the speaker, but that term spreads to people who do use it as a slur or at as a justification for racist beliefs. If you're a 991 turbo driver, I imagine you have respect and influence, and it's why words spoken by those voices need a little more care. I'm seeing examples of blatant anti-asian racism towards people that clearly had nothing to do with covid-19, and an unwelcome blast from my 80s past.

It doesn't mean that you can't be critical of the Chinese government or of a particular person, in fact most of my Chinese-American friends have plenty of bad things to say about the Chinese government, but when it's clear that awful people are using "Chinese" as a substitute for an entire race of people, it's worth switching to a more neutral term. Call it political correctness if you want, I just call it manners- like not telling your grandmother that her cooking sucks. You get nothing out of it and you get something in return for very little effort.

-n.
The following 2 users liked this post by osunick:
KONG991TT (07-21-2020), Steven31371 (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020 | 04:27 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Haha love that manners bit...just realized that most of the time, in actual practice...when somebody says something that has to be followed with: “I don’t have to be PC or politically correct...it’s usually because they were just displaying a lack of basic manners for their fellow citizens, intentionally or not.

Sad that as a culture there are huge segments that have just decided that good manners is a sign of weakness and have renamed good manners ‘political correctness’ and vilified it.

sure like anything there is good manners/political correctness taken to absurd extremes...but just good ole fashion good manners should not be thrown out because a few idiots take it to extremes.

i think most people here do and prefer to communicate with good manners if for no other reason than that we can all stay talking about the passion we have in common, not this kind of silliness lol
The following 2 users liked this post by Steven31371:
bigrpowr (07-11-2020), KONG991TT (07-21-2020)
Old 07-12-2020 | 02:25 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Tried a new to me detailer after a wash. Had been using Mothers CMX with pretty good results. Tried The Last Coat and it is a bit easier to apply.
The following 4 users liked this post by onfireTTS:
BMS (07-12-2020), Redlinerobert (07-12-2020), Steven31371 (07-12-2020), WheelsB (07-13-2020)
Old 07-12-2020 | 06:09 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Tried a new to me detailer after a wash. Had been using Mothers CMX with pretty good results. Tried The Last Coat and it is a bit easier to apply.
Came out great!
The following users liked this post:
onfireTTS (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020 | 08:15 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ttz06vette
Came out great!
Thanks ! So far I’m impressed with The Last Coat.
Old 07-12-2020 | 09:59 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

looks awesome! Great wheels too.
onfireTTS (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020 | 10:57 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
looks awesome! Great wheels too.
Thanks ! Those are BBS F1R in Diamond Black from @SamboTT@ByDesign

I’m still amazed by the Porsche TTS. After 16 months of ownership, I’m still in awe of the combination of power, handling , comfort and visceral experience. Amazing ride.
Old 07-13-2020 | 11:03 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Those wheels look very good against the black, a nice combination.
onfireTTS (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020 | 05:04 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by osunick
My two cents, and I'll get off my soapbox. For Asian-Americans like me in our mid 40s, we faced a lot of racism in the 80s, and things then got a lot better. In my upper middle class school I was called names by people who didn't really have any ill will, but it was a constant reminder that I was different. Then things got a lot better for us. The problem is when people say 'chinese flu' or 'kung flu', maybe no ill will is intended by the speaker, but that term spreads to people who do use it as a slur or at as a justification for racist beliefs. If you're a 991 turbo driver, I imagine you have respect and influence, and it's why words spoken by those voices need a little more care. I'm seeing examples of blatant anti-asian racism towards people that clearly had nothing to do with covid-19, and an unwelcome blast from my 80s past.

It doesn't mean that you can't be critical of the Chinese government or of a particular person, in fact most of my Chinese-American friends have plenty of bad things to say about the Chinese government, but when it's clear that awful people are using "Chinese" as a substitute for an entire race of people, it's worth switching to a more neutral term. Call it political correctness if you want, I just call it manners- like not telling your grandmother that her cooking sucks. You get nothing out of it and you get something in return for very little effort.

-n.
Please take the political discussion over to P&C where its allowed and appreciated. This is a car forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim991:
r00t61 (07-13-2020), sullic (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020 | 10:23 PM
IdTamer
Advanced

Those bbs look awesome!

Decided to mess around with my stock wheels this weekend. I wanted to see what they looked like in black before I powdercoat or buy a new set.

Bought the hyperdip black from dipyourcar. I think it turned out pretty good!

I also swapped out stock centers for the black OEM ones from Suncoast.

The following 2 users liked this post by IdTamer:
misterdega (04-18-2021), onfireTTS (07-21-2020)
Old 07-13-2020 | 11:14 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I loaded up my TTS and prepared to evacuate! We have lived in the mountains for a little over ten years, and this is the closest that we have been to a wildfire. It was less than 1/2 mile from my house. It's still burning, but it appears to be moving away from us. So far, 50 acres burned and 1,000 homes evacuated. The flames could be seen from my neighborhood. We had helicopters flying back and forth over my house picking up water from the lake, and dumping it on the fire. Scary stuff!

Old 07-13-2020 | 11:32 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IdTamer
Those bbs look awesome!

Decided to mess around with my stock wheels this weekend. I wanted to see what they looked like in black before I powdercoat or buy a new set.

Bought the hyperdip black from dipyourcar. I think it turned out pretty good!

I also swapped out stock centers for the black OEM ones from Suncoast.

Killer work with awesome results !
Old 07-13-2020 | 11:36 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I loaded up my TTS and prepared to evacuate! We have lived in the mountains for a little over ten years, and this is the closest that we have been to a wildfire. It was less than 1/2 mile from my house. It's still burning, but it appears to be moving away from us. So far, 50 acres burned and 1,000 homes evacuated. The flames could be seen from my neighborhood. We had helicopters flying back and forth over my house picking up water from the lake, and dumping it on the fire. Scary stuff!

Very glad you are safe. I had to evacuate from a cabin in the woods at PIGEON FORGE late at night. Hear a transformer explode, power went off, looked out the window and flames were everywhere. Key your eye on it. Fires can move FAST in windy conditions.
Old 07-13-2020 | 11:36 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C

Hope you, the fam and the car are ok - I have been in several wild fire scenarios and they are scary, and suck.

Be safe.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?