Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo track car

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 11:48 AM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
My HD2 datalogger does not do specific 60-130Mph tests, I extracted the 60-130mph from the 0-175Mph run, graph is not very user friendly for this purpose.
That's substantially faster than my car previous setup. See data from my fastest lap last year close to a 10.8s 60-130mph. I should be able to pick a lot of time if i can mange to get closer to your numbers.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:05 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Pdtp#16
That's substantially faster than my car previous setup. See data from my fastest lap last year close to a 10.8s 60-130mph. I should be able to pick a lot of time if i can mange to get closer to your numbers.
I wonder how accurate that type measurement is....you are probably much quicker than that...example....If your 0 to 130mph is 10 seconds and your 0 to 60mph is 3 seconds, you can not say 10-3 is a 7 second 60-130....that increment is not measured that way...
Old 12-21-2020, 01:21 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
I wonder how accurate that type measurement is....you are probably much quicker than that...example....If your 0 to 130mph is 10 seconds and your 0 to 60mph is 3 seconds, you can not say 10-3 is a 7 second 60-130....that increment is not measured that way...
that’s data right out of the vbox and using wheel speed not GPS. I was surprised as well. Keep in mind that this is lap 5 and second session of the day.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:33 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Just double checked all of my Sebring data from 12 different track days. The fastest 60-130 mph was a 9.6s but on average was a 10.3s. Not sure if this is measured differently than when you are going 0-130mph. Most of these runs i started full throttle around 55mph all of the way to 140mph+/-. Just measured the time it took once I hit 60 and then 130.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:01 AM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

Been off work since December 3rd till the new year. Already getting itchy and started compiling the 2021 schedule.
Did 35 days on track this year, I hope to get as many if not more.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:15 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 864 Posts

Just double checked all of my Sebring data from 12 different track days. The fastest 60-130 mph was a 9.6s but on average was a 10.3s. Not sure if this is measured differently than when you are going 0-130mph. Most of these runs i started full throttle around 55mph all of the way to 140mph+/-. Just measured the time it took once I hit 60 and then 130.
A 55mph start kills momentum and kills the ET. I would not start over 40mph with a snap down wot to get closer to actual.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:20 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 192 Posts

Hey guys, that the track rats might have an answer to this question....what’s the best brake pad for shear stopping power that works with the PCCB’s.

not concerned about brake fade and how well they hold up at sustained high temps or how long they last....just shear stopping power say from 200 mph down to 40 mph in a hurry
Old 12-26-2020, 06:06 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Pdtp,

The 6.3s 60-130Mph I showed before is the stock 991GT2RS. The 991.1TT Stage 4 with Sambo's custom map on the track did a 5.5 sec 60-130Mph once I added the intercooler water-spray. After a couple of laps it goes to 5.8s-6.0.

Your tune is struggling, you can tell from the erratic acceleration line. On a 2200 feet long straight, that's an easy 1.5 seconds loss.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:50 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 974 Likes on 590 Posts

It’s good stuff guys!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
The following users liked this post:
KONG991TT (12-31-2020)
Old 01-01-2021, 12:04 AM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

This picture reminded me of this thread.

on a different note, I picked up a stablemate for the turbo. Of course, I spent New Year’s Eve last year in the garage installing my Kline inconel system. This year was spent with a bottle of Collinite waxing the Cayenne.
happy New Years friends. Hope to see some of you at the track in 2021.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:51 PM
the head
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Did my first track day with the car today. My only previous track day with a car was with my cayenne turbo about a year and a half ago. I've also done a handful of laps in a Ford Spec racer at a couple of corporate events. But that said I'm sure I have at least 2000 laps from racing motorcycles, being a track day instructor and regular track day riding on a variety of tracks. This was one of the PCA HPDE events so I had to start in green (slowest). By the end of the first day they bumped me to blue (2nd slowest) with an instructor. Today after the first session they bumped me to blue- solo. I was fine there but by the end of the day I was passing pretty much everyone again. I timed the yellow group (next one up) and the faster cars in that group were running about what I was (high 1:40s, low 1:50s). So all in all it was fun and as I'm learning the placement and dynamics of a car vs. bike I'm sure more speed will come. The car was very capable.
I also wanted to drop some thanks to the members here because the instructors wanted me to run higher tire pressures than what I had been reading here (Michelin PS4s) and sure enough, after trying it their way I had to go back. The tires really came in when the fronts were at about 35 hot and 38 hot in the rear. I was being advised to go at least 4psi higher than that and the one time I did today it didn't work well at all. I'm glad I had the traction control on! Maybe next time I can try to drop them more to see what happens. It did take almost 2 full laps for the tires to heat up enough to push hard.
Great fun and my only mod is the DSC Sport box for the suspension. I ran most sessions in Sport mode and not Sport Plus and the car felt a little more controllable since it was pretty bumpy (MSR-H in Angleton, TX). Not sure if anyone else here has driven the track but I got down to a 1:48.8. I might have been able to do better but if I get around to posting a video I was having to work through traffic pretty much every lap, I did get to work on some corners but I only got a handful of clean laps out of the 4x 20-minute sessions today. Anyway, stock brakes held up and I may have had a slight fade only once. I'll read through the thread again and see what pads are recommended and I'm going to move to a better brake fluid.
Thanks for the posts, guys!
Old 01-17-2021, 11:01 PM
the head
Rennlist Member

The only pic I bothered taking of the car...

Old 01-17-2021, 11:33 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by the head
Did my first track day with the car today. My only previous track day with a car was with my cayenne turbo about a year and a half ago. I've also done a handful of laps in a Ford Spec racer at a couple of corporate events. But that said I'm sure I have at least 2000 laps from racing motorcycles, being a track day instructor and regular track day riding on a variety of tracks. This was one of the PCA HPDE events so I had to start in green (slowest). By the end of the first day they bumped me to blue (2nd slowest) with an instructor. Today after the first session they bumped me to blue- solo. I was fine there but by the end of the day I was passing pretty much everyone again. I timed the yellow group (next one up) and the faster cars in that group were running about what I was (high 1:40s, low 1:50s). So all in all it was fun and as I'm learning the placement and dynamics of a car vs. bike I'm sure more speed will come. The car was very capable.
I also wanted to drop some thanks to the members here because the instructors wanted me to run higher tire pressures than what I had been reading here (Michelin PS4s) and sure enough, after trying it their way I had to go back. The tires really came in when the fronts were at about 35 hot and 38 hot in the rear. I was being advised to go at least 4psi higher than that and the one time I did today it didn't work well at all. I'm glad I had the traction control on! Maybe next time I can try to drop them more to see what happens. It did take almost 2 full laps for the tires to heat up enough to push hard.
Great fun and my only mod is the DSC Sport box for the suspension. I ran most sessions in Sport mode and not Sport Plus and the car felt a little more controllable since it was pretty bumpy (MSR-H in Angleton, TX). Not sure if anyone else here has driven the track but I got down to a 1:48.8. I might have been able to do better but if I get around to posting a video I was having to work through traffic pretty much every lap, I did get to work on some corners but I only got a handful of clean laps out of the 4x 20-minute sessions today. Anyway, stock brakes held up and I may have had a slight fade only once. I'll read through the thread again and see what pads are recommended and I'm going to move to a better brake fluid.
Thanks for the posts, guys!
Sounds like you had a great weekend! I suspect they may recommend slightly higher pressures for those groups to save on tire wear and encourage students to experience near the limit handling at lower speeds as opposed to reducing lap times. A lot of guys in the black and red groups probably have advanced to lower pressures and track tires. It'll be fun to see how your lap times drop with more seat time and fewer slow cars holding you up!
The following users liked this post:
NightBlueTTS (01-17-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 08:56 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 276 Likes on 174 Posts

...and this is why this thread exists!

I don't know about the tire pressure on the 4S, but I'm really surprised any instructor would tell you that 35/38 was too low. Maybe it's just not the most experienced club?? Anyway, great to hear somebody is on track right now. Change that fluid and keep it up!
Old 01-18-2021, 04:07 PM
the head
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randyc151
...and this is why this thread exists!

I don't know about the tire pressure on the 4S, but I'm really surprised any instructor would tell you that 35/38 was too low. Maybe it's just not the most experienced club?? Anyway, great to hear somebody is on track right now. Change that fluid and keep it up!
Indeed - the typical guidance was to set tires (hot) to the pressures on the door sticker. That lasted one session...

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo track car