Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo track car

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 07:52 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 276 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by KONG991TT
Here's a quick video of me chasing it down just to try and get a better look at it on track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSdIFyRH6sI
Cheers friends.
There is probably a certain small satisfaction knowing you easily chased down an F8 Tributo on track, huh? Congrats on your first full season. You got bitten hard! Always glad to see fellow addicts coming along.

(I'd suggest Cup2 next year, at least to start. They are comparable to most anything R, but will last you double the laps.)
Old 11-26-2020, 10:05 AM
Bruce H.
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Kong, I've enjoyed reading your posts and following along as you get further drawn down the rabbit hole! The beginnings of a life-long passion I suspect.
Summit Point looks like a lot of fun. Question...it may very well be a camera angle thing, but do you think you tend to turn in just a little early?

The following users liked this post:
KONG991TT (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 11:33 AM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

I have great admiration for you and plenty of envy as well....what a great track season you've had...looking forward to the continuation of the saga next season..stay well
KONG991TT (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 11:35 AM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
There is probably a certain small satisfaction knowing you easily chased down an F8 Tributo on track, huh? Congrats on your first full season. You got bitten hard! Always glad to see fellow addicts coming along.

(I'd suggest Cup2 next year, at least to start. They are comparable to most anything R, but will last you double the laps.)
Randy, there was something satisfying about it for sure but I'd still wonder how hard the driver was pushing it. I only know a handful of folks (ahem) that actually take their hypercars out to drive it the way they're meant to be driven.
Cup2's they likely will be on a set of 19's - especially since I'll get more longevity out of them (I've been spoiled with the 300 tread rated 4S's).

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Kong, I've enjoyed reading your posts and following along as you get further drawn down the rabbit hole! The beginnings of a life-long passion I suspect.
Summit Point looks like a lot of fun. Question...it may very well be a camera angle thing, but do you think you tend to turn in just a little early?
Thanks Bruce, it's been a great season and this platform is truly something else compared to cars I've previously tracked. Summit Point is a lot of fun and it's only an hour away so it's convenient (especially with a newborn in the house).

As for early turn in, which corner are you referring to? I started the season taking a later apex as the safer apex but have slowly been backing it up as the earlier apex is the faster line (to some extent of course). I have been toying around with the line a little bit;specifically turn 1 exit into turn "2" which people are split on even being considered a turn itself. Some folks recommend taking a late apex and taking a little more initial steering angle to take a straighter exit thru 2 heading towards 3. Others have recommended taking an earlier apex to carry more speed but tracking out wider and taking 2 as an actual turn.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:13 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

Originally Posted by KONG991TT

As for early turn in, which corner are you referring to? I started the season taking a later apex as the safer apex but have slowly been backing it up as the earlier apex is the faster line (to some extent of course). I have been toying around with the line a little bit;specifically turn 1 exit into turn "2" which people are split on even being considered a turn itself. Some folks recommend taking a late apex and taking a little more initial steering angle to take a straighter exit thru 2 heading towards 3. Others have recommended taking an earlier apex to carry more speed but tracking out wider and taking 2 as an actual turn.
No particular corner, and it might just be the camera view that made me even question it. Sounds like you've been experimenting with different corner strategies and finding what works best for you which is great! With combining high power, stout brakes, and 3300+ lbs like your TT and my Viper, I tend to lean towards braking late and deep, and then apex late to allow me to go to aggressive throttle sooner. Earlier throttle app and higher exit speeds are a big advantage on some tracks. It'll be interesting to see if and how the change to a track tire will affect your cornering strategies!

Old 11-27-2020, 10:01 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151

This is why Ferrari drivers try to avoid track days that allow cars other than Ferraris on the track!
Old 11-28-2020, 01:27 AM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

I ran with Ferrari of Washington ONCE when I had my E46 M3 and I will say that that most of them are as you'd expect - pompous and overly-cautious.
The crowd was divided into 2 groups; guys that just bought their first Ferrari and guys that are on their 6th. The former drive with too much pride to give a point-by while wearing Gucci loafers and was damn near licking their fingers for some moisture to meticulously poke the specs of dust off their cars while the latter hasn't shaved in a decade and was not particularly interested in making friends as the ****'s they take were worth more than me.

This particular F8 driver was a pretty nice guy (based on his sense of humor and the fact that he at least attempted to give me a point-by which is more than I can say for most other ones I've encountered).
Old 11-28-2020, 11:46 AM
Bruce H.
Racer

There's just something fun about filling the mirrors of a Ferrari...or Lambo or....

You either wear them down for a pass-by or pit in and go right back out and see if you can catch them again!
Old 12-03-2020, 06:34 PM
pepinozaur
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Good bye Miami Blue !!!!!! My beloved 991.2 TTS is gone now but exciting days are coming, read RS times

I am now tracking my 720S track edition with Girodisc rotors and pads, track allignement, KW springs and some wider track... the car is also PHENOMENAL, like my 991.2TTS was perhaps my best car overall, this one is really really good, at least as fast stock and my 991TTS was modded, but more FUN, even also way more DANGEROUS to track. Love it, but also looking forward to getting back into a Porsche... for some reason I don't want the 992TTS, eventho I see how good it is, something seems to be missing there for me... not even the 992TTS with only 2 bucket seats, no rear seats and some other lightweight options doesn't make me put my money on it. I have driven a 992TTS, I like it, but I dont love it... perhaps I need an RS

I will be around and will keep an eye on the 991TT forum from time to time, thanks for your support, great community!

If anybody needs any of these lmk pls, they are available for sale on the classifieds section too:
(I would sell mainly to EU region as shipping might kill some deals)

Catless pipes
OZ Superforgiatta wheels 9/12" R20
Hoosiers R7 (70%&30%) 245-335/R20,
Girodisc rotors 410/390mm (50%) and PFC pads,
DSC controller V3,
Lowering springs H&R and Eibach,
Liteblox Battery incl. mounting carbon plate for 911,
GT2RS oem side skirts.

Last edited by pepinozaur; 12-03-2020 at 06:36 PM.
BMS (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 06:45 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by pepinozaur
I am now tracking my 720S track edition
Blasphemy, how dare you!? Haha JK, I wanna see some pictures of the 720s.

I too just picked up a 570s, looks so good with my 991.1 TTS

Old 12-03-2020, 08:13 PM
pepinozaur
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Yuhuuuu the best combo !!!! I hope the pics won't be too large...

BMS (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 01:25 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Wow, black 720s...
Old 12-17-2020, 11:16 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 276 Likes on 174 Posts

@Jean What's the status of your quest to move to a GT2 RS? Still thinking that direction?

@pepinozaur That's spectacular. What tires are you running and thoughts on them? How's the rest of the maintenance and reliability so far?
Old 12-17-2020, 11:44 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Hi Randy, I have had a GT2RS for few months now! I haven’t tracked it yet unfortunately but done quite a bit of testing with it on its first 500 miles and already have few parts on order

First impression is it is much easier to drive than the turbo given it’s milder power. Also Amazing well balanced and sharp.

Pepinoazur those are some amazing pictures!
Old 12-17-2020, 12:21 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
Hi Randy, I have had a GT2RS for few months now! I haven’t tracked it yet unfortunately but done quite a bit of testing with it on its first 500 miles and already have few parts on order

First impression is it is much easier to drive than the turbo given it’s milder power. Also Amazing well balanced and sharp.

Pepinoazur those are some amazing pictures!
Acceleration numbers are hard to find on the GT2RS.

Jean, do you have any 60-130mph data ?

Weight ? Are they close to 3350lbs with a full tank of fuel no driver?

The GT2RS keeps calling my name. The 992TTS 3650lb curb weight is getting porky. Plus the GT2RS turbos are still the Porsche Gold Standard.

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo track car