Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo track car

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 12:55 AM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

Had a blast at Pitt Race this past weekend with a fellow RL member who I bought my GT2 buckets from and also befriended. Turns out that he was my Naturally Aspirated twin (the GT3 is his). We managed to squeeze him into Pitt Race for the weekend and it was his first track day ever. My brother in his S2000 came with me while my cousin in his 350Z drove from Chicago to drive with us. The weekend was not without incident as a coolant hose popped in my brother's S2000 which unfortunately ended his final day early and led to a fairly expensive tow back to Maryland. The good news is that no one was hurt and we all made it home safely. Had a good time and learned a lot.

Lapping with him in his GT3

Had some fun with a Huracan Performante

Old 08-29-2020, 07:47 PM
Texas6
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front End Mechanical Failure or Metal Fatigue

Have any of you experienced a front end mechanical failure or broken front end component while tracking your turbo?
Old 09-01-2020, 12:13 AM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Had a great time at the PCA Potomac VIR DE this past weekend. Got a chance to meet @Randyc151 in person and can personally attest that he likely was the nicest person on track in the paddocks with his words of encouragement. I even gawked at the 2RS from turn 3 for a session or two.

I must admit that I'm super intimidated by VIR. It's long and very very fast which made it hard for me to get comfortable with (the climbing essess were SUPER intimidating. I spent the entire weekend driving at 5/10ths to learn the track and drive within myself. The only corner I figured out over 3 days was the Hogs pen.
The track conditions were pretty greasy from all the rubber that was laid down by the IMSA boys the prior weekend. We had just enough rain to bring the oil up on the surface but not enough to wash much of it off.

It was a super humbling experience but an awesome time nonetheless.

The following users liked this post:
pfbz (09-02-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 12:35 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 276 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by KONG991TT
Had a great time at the PCA Potomac VIR DE this past weekend. Got a chance to meet @Randyc151 in person and can personally attest that he likely was the nicest person on track in the paddocks with his words of encouragement. I even gawked at the 2RS from turn 3 for a session or two.

I must admit that I'm super intimidated by VIR. It's long and very very fast which made it hard for me to get comfortable with (the climbing essess were SUPER intimidating. I spent the entire weekend driving at 5/10ths to learn the track and drive within myself. The only corner I figured out over 3 days was the Hogs pen.
The track conditions were pretty greasy from all the rubber that was laid down by the IMSA boys the prior weekend. We had just enough rain to bring the oil up on the surface but not enough to wash much of it off.

It was a super humbling experience but an awesome time nonetheless.
Kong, great to meet you and the TT crew, too. VIR is a place that requires laps. You will get it, but the practice is priceless. Looking at the pictures, it's easy to see why actor/racer Paul Newman once said "If there's a heaven on earth, it's VIR". Fast, technical, long, lots of run-off space - it's the best track I've driven in America...by a wide margin. I'm glad you finally got your feet wet there.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:25 AM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

[QUOTE=Giorgos 996 Turbo S;16862140]Bio : I’m 40 years old from Athens Greece. I’ve got about 40 track days, BMW M School Porsche Racetrack Experience with 991 Turbo and 718 Spyder, Ice Driving Experience with Bmw-Porsche and MLaren.
Tracks: Athens Megara Circuit Greece (1.02.6 -> 991.2 Turbo), Serres Racetrack Greece (1.23.6 -> 997 Turbo GT2RS Spec),Imola Racetrack Italy (1.57,7 -> 991.2 Turbo), Hungaroring F1 Hungary (2.03.2 -> 997 Turbo GT2RS spec), Spa F1 Belgium (2,48.6 -> 997 Turbo GT2RS Spec), Monza F1 Italy (2.05 -> 996 Turbo), Mugello F1 Italy (2.12,3 -> 997 Turbo GT2RS Spec) , Paul Ricard F1 France (2.22,34). I organize track days in Greece and Europe for Supercar and Sport cars owners. My company company called SpeedSector.com
Base car: 2017 TT,
Interior: 991 bucket seats
Exterior: Full PPF , GT2RS side skirts, front aero kit spoiler
Wheels/Tires: OZ Superleggera Centerlock 20 inches with Michelin Pilot SPort Cup2 265-325, camber 2+
Suspension: KW lowering springs kit and GT3 wishbones
Brakes: Brembo Race Discks 380 , PFC Brake Pads and Motul 660 Brake fluids
Exhaust: Akrapovic decat
Mods : ECU Remap

Giorgio great shots and video. Must have taken a while putting it together. Mind me asking, i noticed the camera rotating in certain corners but always reversing back to the center. Is this done on purpose? if so how did you achieve this?

Old 09-01-2020, 10:26 AM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Kong, great to meet you and the TT crew, too. VIR is a place that requires laps. You will get it, but the practice is priceless. Looking at the pictures, it's easy to see why actor/racer Paul Newman once said "If there's a heaven on earth, it's VIR". Fast, technical, long, lots of run-off space - it's the best track I've driven in America...by a wide margin. I'm glad you finally got your feet wet there.
Glad you guys are having fun out there. Pics look fantastic.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:17 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pdtp#16
Glad you guys are having fun out there. Pics look fantastic.
We just need to get down to Sebring! (your home track right?). I got my butt kicked. Running Summit Point is one thing but damn if VIR is not a big boy track.

Right back at ya - you and the rest of your crew sure know how to setup a paddock with the dining table, chairs and grill. I'm tempted to head back down and challenge VIR again before the year ends as it's a great track and my first time there definitely was humbling.

I'm back at Summit Point this Thursday to work on smoothing out the throttle inputs some more and keeping the hands a little more quiet. My PS4S is likely will be done after this so it might be time for another set. I'm torn as I might be ready for something more sticky. Everyone raves about the Cup 2 R's but I hear that they are good for the first 2 events and fall off a cliff. Others talk about the RE71's and Radial Tire (the de-facto tire shop in the area) recommended the Toyo's for me.
Thoughts on tires friends?
Old 09-01-2020, 04:28 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

We just need to get down to Sebring! (your home track right?). I got my butt kicked. Running Summit Point is one thing but damn if VIR is not a big boy track.

Right back at ya - you and the rest of your crew sure know how to setup a paddock with the dining table, chairs and grill. I'm tempted to head back down and challenge VIR again before the year ends as it's a great track and my first time there definitely was humbling.

I'm back at Summit Point this Thursday to work on smoothing out the throttle inputs some more and keeping the hands a little more quiet. My PS4S is likely will be done after this so it might be time for another set. I'm torn as I might be ready for something more sticky. Everyone raves about the Cup 2 R's but I hear that they are good for the first 2 events and fall off a cliff. Others talk about the RE71's and Radial Tire (the de-facto tire shop in the area) recommended the Toyo's for me.
VIR its a big track and with all tracks like that it takes time. you did the smart thing. Had fun, pushed where you felt comfortable and behaved the rest of the way. I was just up north and rented lime rock for the day with some friends. Had a blast, really missed the change of elevations. My car still all apart. ugh!! Picked the worst timing ever to modify the car. Porsche Motorsport and Manthey have been so slow supplying race parts. Hope to be done in three months fingers crossed.

If you ever come down to Sebring let me know. Its tons of fun. Saw that there were several turbos at VIR! thats awesome. I have never shared the track with another 991 TTS.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:43 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

What, everybody cooks Sous Vide pork tenderloin at the track, right?

Oh, and just get Cup2's (R's won't fit your car anyway) and forget it. 265 front/325 rear - it's covered extensively earlier in this post.

Sorry for this distraction, and onward with car setup discussions!!
The following users liked this post:
KONG991TT (09-02-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 01:28 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

VIR its a big track and with all tracks like that it takes time. you did the smart thing. Had fun, pushed where you felt comfortable and behaved the rest of the way. I was just up north and rented lime rock for the day with some friends. Had a blast, really missed the change of elevations. My car still all apart. ugh!! Picked the worst timing ever to modify the car. Porsche Motorsport and Manthey have been so slow supplying race parts. Hope to be done in three months fingers crossed.
If you ever come down to Sebring let me know. Its tons of fun. Saw that there were several turbos at VIR! thats awesome. I have never shared the track with another 991 TTS.
Thanks for reaffirming my approach - it was pretty intimidating. Pitt Race felt like a walk in the park compared to VIR. It was humbling in that I feel like I've got a big boy car with big boy power. Stepping onto a big boy track, it was a reminder that it's still not a big boy behind the wheel. I had a super time out there with some good people though. Lime Rock is another one I'd like to drive. Usually those northern tracks use a lot of concrete as opposed to asphalt, I used to run Gingerman Raceway in South Haven Michigan and remember them being hard on tires.

Manthey and Porsche MS - that can't be cheap.I'm interested in what new stuff you're working on (ahem; build thread!). And yes, if I make it down to Sebring, I'd love to also meet you in person. Kinda nifty that we can swap messages on the boards and get a chance to put a face to the username.

What, everybody cooks Sous Vide pork tenderloin at the track, right?
Oh, and just get Cup2's (R's won't fit your car anyway) and forget it. 265 front/325 rear - it's covered extensively earlier in this post.

Sorry for this distraction, and onward with car setup discussions!!
I wish I had a trailer so I could pack more stuff (like a Foreman grill). RE the Cup2's, that likely will be the next tire I choose if I come off the 4S. Not going to lie, it's been nice with the 300 tread rating. They've lasted me 15 days on track (granted, I don't drive as hard as you guys do).

Quick Side Bar -
I've gotten plenty of seat time over the last 3 months (15 days on track so far) and can tell when something sounds different. Specifically, at Pitt Race, i noticed during one of my sessions, the exhaust not got deeper AND it's not as loud? Not sure what happened? Even in my videos that I've posted, the exhaust note is not as prevalent and it's definitely not as high pitched. My first thought was that maybe the sound symposer was not working - I plugged in the PIWIS and nothing popped up. I'm wondering if it's an exhaust leak or something? Not to make a deal out of exhaust note but I'm concerned that's an indication of something else going on (not including the fact that i spent the extra money on the Kline Inconel system for a little more of an auditory experience).

Old 09-02-2020, 02:03 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

RE the Cup2's, that likely will be the next tire I choose if I come off the 4S. Not going to lie, it's been nice with the 300 tread rating. They've lasted me 15 days on track (granted, I don't drive as hard as you guys do).

Quick Side Bar -
I've gotten plenty of seat time over the last 3 months (15 days on track so far) and can tell when something sounds different. Specifically, at Pitt Race, i noticed during one of my sessions, the exhaust not got deeper AND it's not as loud? Not sure what happened? Even in my videos that I've posted, the exhaust note is not as prevalent and it's definitely not as high pitched. My first thought was that maybe the sound symposer was not working - I plugged in the PIWIS and nothing popped up. I'm wondering if it's an exhaust leak or something? Not to make a deal out of exhaust note but I'm concerned that's an indication of something else going on (not including the fact that i spent the extra money on the Kline Inconel system for a little more of an auditory experience).
At your currently level of cornering, you will have no problem getting 15 track days out of a set of Cup2's. (not a dig, just keeping it real)

As for the exhaust sound stuff, just take it to your exhaust guy and have them check it out. No telling what it could be.

Last edited by Randyc151; 09-02-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:35 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 864 Posts

Thanks for reaffirming my approach - it was pretty intimidating. Pitt Race felt like a walk in the park compared to VIR. It was humbling in that I feel like I've got a big boy car with big boy power. Stepping onto a big boy track, it was a reminder that it's still not a big boy behind the wheel. I had a super time out there with some good people though. Lime Rock is another one I'd like to drive. Usually those northern tracks use a lot of concrete as opposed to asphalt, I used to run Gingerman Raceway in South Haven Michigan and remember them being hard on tires.

Manthey and Porsche MS - that can't be cheap.I'm interested in what new stuff you're working on (ahem; build thread!). And yes, if I make it down to Sebring, I'd love to also meet you in person. Kinda nifty that we can swap messages on the boards and get a chance to put a face to the username.

I wish I had a trailer so I could pack more stuff (like a Foreman grill). RE the Cup2's, that likely will be the next tire I choose if I come off the 4S. Not going to lie, it's been nice with the 300 tread rating. They've lasted me 15 days on track (granted, I don't drive as hard as you guys do).

Quick Side Bar -
Are you tracking cats ? I’ve seen them fail.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:35 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

At your currently level of cornering, you will have no problem getting 15 track days out of a set of Cup2's. (not a dig, just keeping it real)

As for the exhaust sound stuff, just take it to your exhaust guy and have them check it out. No telling what it could be.
Fair and valid point on my level of cornering so this is good news - these consumables get awfully expensive! Just picked up a set extra Giro front rings. I'm told the Ferodo 3.12's are not as easy on rotors compared to the 1.11. I hope to get through the remainder of this season with the current ones so I can begin next season with a fresh set.

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Are you tracking cats ? I’ve seen them fail.
Good point Fire - I'm actually considering giving up the 200 cell's and going catless at this point.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:44 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Fair and valid point on my level of cornering so this is good news - these consumables get awfully expensive! Just picked up a set extra Giro front rings. I'm told the Ferodo 3.12's are not as easy on rotors compared to the 1.11. I hope to get through the remainder of this season with the current ones so I can begin next season with a fresh set.

Good point Fire - I'm actually considering giving up the 200 cell's and going catless at this point.
Just be careful with tune. Not sure if you are running all stock or if you have mods and tunes (COBB, GIAC etc) With the turbos any changes to either the inter coolers, exhaust, cat or no cat etc can create significant changes to how you initially tune the car. I for example took the cats off of my car thinking it would help reduce my AIT's only to make matter worse. This forced me to re-map my tune and once i did that it worked well. Going catless you will get more gurgles , flames for sure and it will sound a little louder. With that said your garage will smell like fuel and you'll get some discoloring or staining around the exhaust exit.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:50 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Just be careful with tune. Not sure if you are running all stock or if you have mods and tunes (COBB, GIAC etc) With the turbos any changes to either the inter coolers, exhaust, cat or no cat etc can create significant changes to how you initially tune the car. I for example took the cats off of my car thinking it would help reduce my AIT's only to make matter worse. This forced me to re-map my tune and once i did that it worked well. Going catless you will get more gurgles , flames for sure and it will sound a little louder. With that said your garage will smell like fuel and you'll get some discoloring or staining around the exhaust exit.
BTW my new setup will look close to this

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo track car