Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo track car

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020 | 09:29 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jean
Thanks Randy, I totally agree with your comment about the fender louvres, they provide about 50% of the front downforce, I just needed a quick fix for downforce under very pressured timelines, and decided to add instead a very high quality CF customized front splitter that will be fitted under the GT2RS bumper this week. A larger and higher rear wing will balance the rear. The car is super well setup now I think, tested many suspension settings and did a corner balance. I might have reached its maximum, still running stock weight and seriously outpacing anything out there by few seconds with better, and especially much younger drivers . Meth, water spray and a custom tune did the rest.
Maybe it's time for an updated rundown of the full setup?
Old 02-25-2020 | 11:35 AM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Latest additions, front replica GT2RS bumper and rear decklid and wing. Could not quantify the impact because I changed my suspension settings and ran a different engine map as well.. but recorded two lap records in two different circuit 3.5 mile + configurations during the last time attack. So it seems to work somewhat.

Next going in is a larger custom CF rear wing, custom wing uprights, rear GT2RS diffuser and front custom splitter extending by about 5 inches.
Nice pic!!!

Are you thinking of adding an additional 5" to the front splitter? or 5" in total?
Old 02-25-2020 | 08:21 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Maybe it's time for an updated rundown of the full setup?
I have been doing many changes over time so where I am today is not where I started, but mostly it has been testing tires and suspension setups and adjustments. Reached a point where lack of downforce became pretty evident. It is important for me to keep this car drivable on the road or else I would have done things slightly different.

Suspension & Chassis:
- KW 3 way Competition Manthey
-Tarrett front "cup" control arms, front shims 14mm each side, axle spacers, and a couple of rear control arms. I posted a picture some time back here.
- stock sway bars and drop links
- Heigo FIA 4 point roll cage
- Battery: Liteblox 26 (not mounted currently), beautiful piece and very light
-Oz Superforgiatta wheels 19" offset same as 997GT2RS
- Tires, tried about all of the high performance tires, Hoosier, Trofeo, Cup2, Pirelli slicks DH hard compound
- Brakes steel stock discs, I use often GT3 pads, also used Endless MX72 and have a set of Pagid RSX. Haven't been convinced yet to upgrade my brakes, I think it is a black box and there is not enough tangible information.as to the lap time benefits.

Engine, mainly all done with Sam@Bydesign
- Upgraded VTGs 68mm
-Kline full Inconel exhaust, headers, high performance cats
- By Design Intercoolers 4.5"
- Cobb tune from Sam.. This has been a journey with Sam, we have been exchanging datalogs and files for a very long time, with views to keep IATs down as much as possible. I have two great maps currently, one with 17-19 psi and one with 21-23 psi. The car is faster than previous 25 and 28psi files. Kept torque down as much as possible to help PDK longevity, keep the car drivable in corners and keep temps under control
- IPD intakes ( to install meth nozzles)
- Methanol Snowperformance
- IC Water spray Snow Performance
- Reinforced rods.. Some of these early engines had weaker cylinder sleeves

Body
- Front GT2RS bumper
-Rear Gt2RS decklid and wing
I did not do the GT2RS fenders although I am a strong proponent, I just did not have time to do more on the bodywork nor do branding before my event.

To be fitted soon are additional aerodynamic pieces that were built in the UK according to my specs, custom made front splitter, larger rear wing tested in wind tunnel to 1400N downforce at 100mph and custom designed uprights. Rear GT2RS diffuser also.

Full interior except rear seats to fit the roll cage and weighs 1609 Kgs no driver and with about 15-20ltrs fuel.

Suspension setup has been critical, adjusting compression and rebound, ride height etc.. makes a big difference. The car handles extremely well and totally neutral. Some oversteer in slow corner exits and Traction Control that keeps killing my exit speeds too often. Next research will be about finding a way to reprogram it to make it less intrusive, there is easily 1-2 seconds per lap currently to be gained. I do not have the reflexes or cojones at my age to drive this car without TC. Pretty obvious in the video below from a testing day, about 2-3 seconds slower than my fastest lap.. I am on full throttle but the car bogs and takes time to accelerate.

Old 02-25-2020 | 08:29 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pdtp#16
Nice pic!!!

Are you thinking of adding an additional 5" to the front splitter? or 5" in total?
Thanks Pdtp! The splitter will fit under the GT2RS splitter. and will have all the hardware to secure a solid mount to the chassis. Yes about 5" further than the GT2RS splitter.

Old 02-25-2020 | 09:52 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Certainly an impressive machine and driving !!!...Please overlook my ignorance but how would it perform against a GT2 RS ?
Old 02-25-2020 | 10:12 PM
miky360
Instructor

@Jean Which tire do you find the fastest?
Old 02-26-2020 | 01:42 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Nanook
Certainly an impressive machine and driving !!!...Please overlook my ignorance but how would it perform against a GT2 RS ?
Thank you Nanook. On the Bahrain F1 GP circuit, 3 seconds faster than a Pro driven GT2RS with Cup2 R tires.. I suspect in better hands it would be 4-5 seconds faster than a GT2RS.on Cup 2R tires. Other references:

- 5 s faster than a Radical (Pro driver)
- 5 s faster than 720S
- 6 s faster than 650S (Pro driver)
- 6 s faster than Viper ACR Extreme
- 7s faster than 488

Miky360, I find Trofeo R to be fastest, initially close to the Hoosier but the Hoosier falls off much faster and has a softer sidewall, not ideal for our heavy cars.
Old 02-26-2020 | 03:27 AM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Originally Posted by ervtx
Greetings (hopping onto the 991 Turbo forum from the 997 GT3/GT2 forum)

I recently traded in my 2007 GT3 to pick up a 2015 TTS Cabriolet. The GT3 was predominantly used for the track only, and was almost never without a set of Hoosiers. So I t was a humongous leap of faith to jump into a TTS, not to mention a Cabriolet. Well, no buyers remorse here. First time out at the track on a set of crappy P-Zero’s, I practically equaled the max lateral G forces of the GT3 on Hoosiers. (1.3 vs. 1.4). Also managed to hit -1.3 g’s under braking. I am just in awe of the track-ability of this car.

And when the day was done, instead of loading the GT3 on a trailer, I got to drive a luxury drop top on the way home. Amazing. Looking forward to learning from others and sharing my experiences. (The only changes I’ve made from stock so far were to upgrade the brake pads and brake fluid, as well as maxing out available camber in the front. Next up is to trash to P-Zeros).

128 on the main straight matches the GT3 vmax. Lat/long g’s are about the same.
Cool 😎
Im planning to do the same.
Will be replacing my 2019 GT3 RS WP with a 992 TTS CAB as soon as i am able to order one.
From my perspective I did my thing with the RS.... I have a few more tracks to tackle and cover to my satisfaction and I will be done....
I rented 991.2 TTS cab and found it to be a blast ( minus the sound and RPM range☹️) .... but i have come to believe that the TTS Cab will be more fun all around.. !
🤙🏼😀
Old 02-26-2020 | 08:58 AM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Thanks Pdtp! The splitter will fit under the GT2RS splitter. and will have all the hardware to secure a solid mount to the chassis. Yes about 5" further than the GT2RS splitter.

Looks fantastic. Will you make it adjustable?
Old 02-26-2020 | 09:36 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Thank you Nanook. On the Bahrain F1 GP circuit, 3 seconds faster than a Pro driven GT2RS with Cup2 R tires.. I suspect in better hands it would be 4-5 seconds faster than a GT2RS.on Cup 2R tires. Other references:

- 5 s faster than a Radical (Pro driver)
- 5 s faster than 720S
- 6 s faster than 650S (Pro driver)
- 6 s faster than Viper ACR Extreme
- 7s faster than 488

Miky360, I find Trofeo R to be fastest, initially close to the Hoosier but the Hoosier falls off much faster and has a softer sidewall, not ideal for our heavy cars.
VERY impressive build Jean !

Raceweight ?
Old 02-26-2020 | 11:18 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pdtp#16
Looks fantastic. Will you make it adjustable?
Not really, but the GT2RS splitter on which it will be mounted can be raised or lowered a bit.. The plan is to maximize front downforce and then adjust the rear to balance. The rear wing mounting tabs have several adjustment positions similar to a Cup car and added a guerney, which I could always remove if needed. Few more things can be done to the underbody in case there is a need..

Onfire, the car was corner weighed at 1609 Kgs without driver, not a lightweight car for sure. That's another area that could be worked on with good results but I am not going there, the RSR fills that role
Old 03-05-2020 | 02:19 AM
PPFANBOY
Instructor

Hi guys,

I have HRE 101LW in 21 inch.
Is it a bad idea to run them on the track?

I am looking for an alternative set for the track with the best R tyres possible. Am I better off buying a set of say 18 or 19" wheels. Would rather 20" (or keep my 21s! haha)

Sorry for the newbie questions. I am new to this.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2020 | 03:40 AM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Bigger wheels = more weight. Also bigger tires more expensive to replace. Go with the smallest wheel that will fit around your brake calipers. They also get beat up on the track so probably don’t really want nice expensive wheels. And some R compound tires - Hoosiers, Toyo R888R or Nitto NT01.
Old 03-05-2020 | 08:03 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PPFANBOY
Hi guys,

I am looking for an alternative set for the track with the best R tyres possible. Am I better off buying a set of say 18 or 19" wheels. Would rather 20" (or keep my 21s! haha)

Thanks.
It really depends on how hard core you want to go. I think for the 991 TTS the easiest setup is 20" in the 2019 TTS wheel sizes or 20x9 front and 20x12 rear. You can run several different 265/20 front tires and 325/20 rear tires in the Cup2 spec. Read earlier in this thread for that discussion.

If you wanted to go to 19" wheels to have a wider list of options, the work to be done is getting the wheels to fit over the front calipers/suspension (I think there are a couple of wheels that could fit without rubbing) and then ensuring your tires on both axles have the same diameter as the stock size. The GT2 RS does come with 21" rear wheels, but I am not sure they will fit under a TTS fender without some serious tweaking. Under those circumstances, you could run the GT2 RS wheel and tire setup, including the Cup2 R tires.
Old 03-05-2020 | 11:05 AM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PPFANBOY
Hi guys,

Thanks.
It's not the worst idea to use the 21" HRE R101 Lightweight's on the track however the tires in this sizing only yield Pirelli P Zero & Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. If you want quicker lap times you'll need to downsize to 20's or 19's to get track tires like the Pirelli Trofeo R's & Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's. Luckily, the HRE R101 Lightweights also come in 20" & 19" sizing and even the 19's clear the PCCB's.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo track car