Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo track car

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 12:08 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Does the ClubSport uses Meth injection or water injection in the engine ?
Depends on what you put in the tank! It has water injections through the intake and over the inter coolers. I'll see if i can find one of the pics.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:34 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,130 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by Pdtp#16
Depends on what you put in the tank! It has water injections through the intake and over the inter coolers. I'll see if i can find one of the pics.
I used their one of their pics (that you posted earlier, THANKS) to custom build a high pressure IC sprayer that works very well. Bigtime IAT drop via logging. BMW used water only in their injection system. I'm curious if Porsche ClubSport uses water only or uses a meth mixture in the intake.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:28 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by lnirenberg
‘14 Turbo S... this a truly remarkable and fast street car. ..—as blindingly fast as the car feels on the road at full throttle, on track I didn’t feel that at all
Seems like there is plenty of low-hanging fruit to tune-out some of the (intentional by Porsche) understeer and GT vs Track nature of the Turbo S... All recommendations from other members of the community but on my "to do" (or already done) list!
  • Cup 2 Tires on stock wheels. Either stock sizes or 265F 325R.
  • Aggressive alignment, as much camber as possible with stock suspension
  • DSC Sport suspension controller
  • Exhaust replacement, or cat bypass
After that, a bit more 'intrusive' and somewhat more expensive modifications?
  • ECU and PDK tune
  • Lowering springs
  • OE GT2 carbon buckets
  • Lightweight battery
All of the above is bolt-on, pretty much plug-and-play, and completely reversible, and the Turbo would remain an entirely streetable and pleasant daily driver.

More grip, less understeer, reduce weight, be able to hear the engine, crispen up engine and PDK performance.

Last edited by pfbz; 07-31-2020 at 04:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Beezupra (08-04-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 04:58 PM
GT2Driver
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Pdtp,
Where do they inject the water in to the engine?
Rgds
Old 07-31-2020, 05:10 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Re: the discussion about heat, what oil do you you guys who track frequently run?

On the 996 Turbos, A40 spec M1 0W40 is too thin, even for just fast street in hot weather, and A40 spec M1 5W50 is widely used...

I haven't seen much about oil viscosity recommendations on the 991 Turbo platform. Not so much a "which brand is your favorite" question as much as "Thicker A40 oils recommended?" question..
Old 07-31-2020, 06:01 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Pdtp, I had no idea you were having so much trouble with heat soak, but certainly that's due to your tune and mods. The stock engine doesn't give up straight line speed to anything but the GT2RS. I guess the advantages of the tune on the rest of the track make up for the loss in the straights? Also, CONGRATS on the 2:12 at Sebring. That's really flying!! Maybe I'll be able to meet you back there again in November, if all goes well.

OP - the stock engine does not suffer significant heat soak as compared to most cars. Watch to make sure the mods you are planning actually make the car faster on laps 3-10 than stock.
Randy hope all is well. If you come down let me know i'll definitely be there. Yep i have had a lot of issues with heat soak. Predominantly i think it was the tune combined with the heat and humidity of Florida. Keep in mind that the car was built and tuned up north and was done late winter early spring. I worked with Mike and got most of it sorted out and then i made the dumb decision to take the cats out. This set me back all of the way. Turbos were spooling too fast and heating up. So it was good for one lap max two before AIT's where through he roof. So during the David Murry and 48hr. all i focused was on chassis, suspension and braking. Car felt unbelivable. This is where i'm currently making most of the time. See attach a snap shot of Ruben's 2RS Clubsport Lap vs. one of my laps (braking and turns only) and i was so surprised how close we are. He just accelerates so fast thereafter. This shows how good of a job the guys at TPC and Orbit have done setting up the car. I'm in no way close to being a pro specially Ruben, and the fact that i'm that close on tires that corded this lap its insane. Specially when we take into consideration that i'm probably 600 - 700lbs heavier than a clubsport.

With new tires and proper driving the car today is a 2:10 car and that's with the heat soak issues. I was 15 - to 20 mph slower on the main straights than Ruben, 10 - 15 mph than a GT2RS (not being pushed at its fullest) and 3-5 MPH than a well driven 3RS. I can't imaging how fast the car will get if i can pick up the pace on the straights. I think it will be a sub 2:10 car which i'm starting to consider the safety factors of things, specially with the new mods taking place.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:10 PM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 169 Posts

The stock Pirellis are absolute garbage and you can tell right away the torque overwhelms the tires especially the rear and torque vectoring kicks in any high throttle inputs .
The car demands a better tire and on a tuned car, the Pirellis are useless. I find Cup2 even in stock size dials out a lot of the understeer and manages the power better.

It seems Tire Rack has new Cup2 Connect 240 as extreme summers so probably even more forgiving that the regular Cup2 and nearly same grip so a true competitor to RE-71R Bridgestone and more usable for DD. I just bought standard Cup2 and any sign of downpour my car is indoors. Damn you Michelin

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...nect+%28240%29
Need4S (12-28-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 06:21 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Originally Posted by GT2Driver
Hi Pdtp,
Where do they inject the water in to the engine?
Rgds
The guys at Orbit had one for several months. We looked into the cooling system quite a bit as we intended to use it on my car. Its pretty costly so we put it on hold until we try larger turbos and water injection / meth before going through the full build of this system. The system shows the lines running over and into the intake box and well as into the intake. Since we stopped we never determined how it worked but we figure it worked pretty similar to other water / meth injection systems. This charge can be done before the inter-coolers and after on the intake to help reduce the AIT's. I had a couple of pictures of the system with and without the intake box. I can't seem to find them if i do i'll post them. BTW, C&R does their cores and are fantastic.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:26 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Not sure where your coming from but you have an open invite to join me at Thompson about 2 hrs East of Lime Rock.
I'm in Millbrook 15 min. away from Lime Rock. unfortunately i stayed in FL during the beginning of covid and had planned going up mid June. Then the quarantine requirements shifted and i can't get my wife to agree to go up north and quarantine for 2 weeks with the kids. If i get up there i'll definitely take a look. 2hrs. is not bad at all
Old 07-31-2020, 06:28 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

This is what the g-meter shows from my track day Wednesday—

I also noticed that the oil temp ran much higher than the GT. My geezer brain seems to recall it was in the mid 240s and even a slow jog doing some errands yesterday in 90+ degrees it was running 225. I’ll have to pay closer attention at next weeks track day.
Yes it goes up. I've had it as high as 250's. I now use waterweter which reduced my temps by about 10 degrees and helped keep my oil temps in the 240's as well.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:58 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

The guys at Orbit had one for several months. We looked into the cooling system quite a bit as we intended to use it on my car. Its pretty costly so we put it on hold until we try larger turbos and water injection / meth before going through the full build of this system. The system shows the lines running over and into the intake box and well as into the intake. Since we stopped we never determined how it worked but we figure it worked pretty similar to other water / meth injection systems. This charge can be done before the inter-coolers and after on the intake to help reduce the AIT's. I had a couple of pictures of the system with and without the intake box. I can't seem to find them if i do i'll post them. BTW, C&R does their cores and are fantastic.
Isn't there a reason you shouldn't spray the charge air before the intercoolers? That would reduce the efficiency/effectiveness of the intercoolers but I think there's something else, perhaps increased air density affecting flow through the intercoolers.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:20 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Isn't there a reason you shouldn't spray the charge air before the intercoolers? That would reduce the efficiency/effectiveness of the intercoolers but I think there's something else, perhaps increased air density affecting flow through the intercoolers.
It all depends on how the whole system is designed. Unfortunately above my pay grade and the guys weren't able to take the whole thing apart to determine if in fact it was being charged prior or post inter coolers. It was odd for sure but without taking it apart we couldn't tell you exactly how it worked or if in fact water injection was being prayed within the intake filter box. Mike has one in his shop i'll ask him this weekend. Pre-intercooler does work for some track cars such as road racing that operate at a more constant higher RPM. For the daily driver, weekend racer, the pre-intercooler location should not be considered. If the air entering the inter cooler is pre-cooled, the ability of the intercooler is reduced because the temp difference is lesser. It is also possible for the fine water/alcohol mist to collect in the bottom of your intercooler core. The other problem is that there's a possibility that the hot air from the turbo might unnecessarily vaporize the water and take up some of the volume built up by the turbo that was supposed to be for the charge.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:45 PM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm in Millbrook 15 min. away from Lime Rock. unfortunately i stayed in FL during the beginning of covid and had planned going up mid June. Then the quarantine requirements shifted and i can't get my wife to agree to go up north and quarantine for 2 weeks with the kids. If i get up there i'll definitely take a look. 2hrs. is not bad at all
Right now staying safe is the key. There is always next year, PM me when you are positioned to take me up on the offer. Our last club day is 10/22 though at this point it sounds like your hunkered down for a while.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:02 AM
Masonbrick
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey guys. It's been a while since I posted. I used to have a 2014 911 Turbo S (my avatar) that I mounted the Girodiscs to. I want to know if Girodisc is still the steel conversion option for CCB's on 991 Turbo S's? I just bought a 2018 Turbo S and don't want to drive with the ceramics.
Thanks
Old 08-01-2020, 01:30 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 277 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Masonbrick
Hey guys. It's been a while since I posted. I used to have a 2014 911 Turbo S (my avatar) that I mounted the Girodiscs to. I want to know if Girodisc is still the steel conversion option for CCB's on 991 Turbo S's? I just bought a 2018 Turbo S and don't want to drive with the ceramics.
Thanks
Yes, Girodisc is still what I use, along with Ferodo DS3.12 pads. There are other more expensive options, but I've been very happy with the Girodisc/Ferodo setup. Call Clark at Apex Performance and tell him Randy from Virginia told you to hook him up with the good price!
Need4S (12-28-2020)

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo track car