Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 07:47 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
SA at Beverly Hills, with a straight face, quoted my buddy $100k over earlier this week. He added that those dealerships who are taking deposits at MSRP (and yes he specifically mentioned one particular dealer in the Valley who has a list with 40 names on it) are secretly booting those customers down the list and selling their allocation to other customers who come in later and agree to pay ADM.

5 minutes later, he was down to $40k over. What a bargain!

So much BS, hard to know even where to start.
How did you keep yourself from laughing at him when he told you $100k over?
Old 09-27-2017, 08:13 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

JHC, 100K over for a GT3. That sounds fun.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:42 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

I've owned one Porsche in my life. A 2011 panamera. I was able to get a gt3 allocation at msrp for June delivery a few weeks ago. Have given a non refundable 5k deposit. Msrp allocations are availble. Maybe not in socal but elsewhere they are available.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:48 AM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
I've owned one Porsche in my life. A 2011 panamera. I was able to get a gt3 allocation at msrp for June delivery a few weeks ago. Have given a non refundable 5k deposit. Msrp allocations are availble. Maybe not in socal but elsewhere they are available.
How long ago did you place your deposit?

And i hope we don't see a bunch of white gt3s. We need more variety.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:58 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

Deposit placed 3 weeks ago.
My car is white. I don't like the other colors.

my buddy getting a red one in march. Both of us paying msrp..
Old 09-28-2017, 03:49 AM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Deposit placed 3 weeks ago.
My car is white. I don't like the other colors.

my buddy getting a red one in march. Both of us paying msrp..
Did you guys get on a waitlist years ago?
Old 09-28-2017, 12:37 PM
AARP_981_GT4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've bought/leased 3 Porsches since 2015 from the same sales ambassador at my local dealer. He got my wife into a 2015 Boxster GTS, me into a GT4 at MSRP, my wife into a 2017 Macan GTS, and now me again into a 991.2 GT3 at MSRP. My sales ambassador has known that I've been keenly interested in the new GT3 so he jumped on the first available allocation (after the 918 VIPs and VIP customers of the General Manager) and offered it to me. Personally, it does pay to develop a relationship with a sales rep who is willing to fight for you. It also helps to have a good relationship with the General Sales Manager.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:17 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AARP_981_GT4
..... it does pay to develop a relationship with a sales rep who is willing to fight for you.
To me, these words are the correct ones to use; but, they're not arranged in the right order.

IMO, the words should be arranged as follows: "to develop a relationship with a sales rep (or GM) who is willing to fight for you, you need to pay them."

Which is to say, you need to behave like the perfect customer - you come in, you see sticker and you pay sticker. The second you start arm wrestling over price, and win, you go to the bottom of the list.

No disrespect intended nor promoted. That's just how the reality of the relationship looks to me.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:23 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

It does pay to have a relationship with your salesman and the GM. It also requires buying several cars. You don't have to pay sticker on the non GT stuff but you can't grind on them and hold an auction. If you treat them like they are a commodity, you will get treated that way.

Every successful business takes care of it's best customers first. Its a meritocracy.

These are toys. No one needs one.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:25 PM
AARP_981_GT4
Advanced

No disrespect taken. You are absolutely correct in the re-phrasing. The Boxster GTS and Macan GTS were fairly discounted (I'm sure others would say I paid too much but I felt I got fair pricing for built to spec models and to compensate my sales ambassador). On the other hand, the GT4 was a hot commodity but I was only going to pay MSRP if I could get one. I had my deposit in fairly early (#11) but after the first batch of allocations were confirmed (at over MSRP) and it didn't look like any more would be made, the dealer returned my deposit. Fast forward to November 2015 and out of the blue my rep calls and asks if I want an allocation at MSRP. I dropped off my deposit that evening and had my built to spec GT4 in the system! This is what makes an exceptional sales ambassador!

To your point about behaving like a perfect customer, I was at my dealer after the 991.2 GT3 was announced at Geneva. A red Ferrari 458 comes pulling in with a red 430 Italia in tow and parks in the handicap parking. 4 DB's come out thinking they're rock stars and start asking the sales reps about wanting allocations "right now" to buy a new GT3. One guy says his 812 Superfast is coming in shortly but he wanted a GT3 as a beater. The sales guys shined them on about not knowing how many would be built, when they'd start building, technical details, etc. These DB's didn't get the answer they wanted to hear and peeled out of the parking lot like those idiots who attend cars and croissants events that end up on youtube!
Old 09-28-2017, 03:54 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

To your point about behaving like a perfect customer, I was at my dealer after the 991.2 GT3 was announced at Geneva. A red Ferrari 458 comes pulling in with a red 430 Italia in tow and parks in the handicap parking. 4 DB's come out thinking they're rock stars and start asking the sales reps about wanting allocations "right now" to buy a new GT3. One guy says his 812 Superfast is coming in shortly but he wanted a GT3 as a beater. The sales guys shined them on about not knowing how many would be built, when they'd start building, technical details, etc. These DB's didn't get the answer they wanted to hear and peeled out of the parking lot like those idiots who attend cars and croissants events that end up on youtube!
lol

I'm sure Ferrari would love to wean these customers off the brand.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:04 PM
AARP_981_GT4
Advanced

Originally Posted by WernerE
lol

I'm sure Ferrari would love to wean these customers off the brand.

No let Ferrari keep them!
Old 09-28-2017, 04:54 PM
Wooly1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend is on the list at his local dealer for a 991.2 GT3. The dealer wants 30K over for an allocation. My friend will not pay it. He bought from them a 2011 911 Turbo, a 2014 Cayenne GTS, and a 2016 GT4. Yesterday he just purchased a Macaan Turbo for his wife. The Macaan was a 2017 and the 18’s are just rolling in. Being that it was the end of the model year and the car has depreciated in value, he was offered a discount to take a 2017 over a 2018. After he had paid and completed paperwork, he asked the sales manager,”well are you going to give me a GT3 allocation at MSRP now?” The sales managers response was,”did you pay MSRP for your Macaan?” This is total BS in my opinion. When Apple launches their new iPhone X in a month, people will be drooling and easily willing to pay a 50% to 100% premium to be some of the first to get it. Does Apple jack the price up for the first month to double the retail price? Of course not. They are a first quality brand and they determine what they think is a fair price, and that’s the price...period. While Porsche does not own the dealerships, they can easily control dealer gouging be allocating cars to those dealers that sell at msrp. It would immediately fix the current dealer gouging problem and restore integrity to their brand. But what do I know, I’m just trying to get my “reduced engine power CEL” on my 991.1 GT3 to stop coming on every other week.

Oh and the offending dealer may or may not be Porsche of South Bay in Los Angeles.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:20 PM
AARP_981_GT4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wooly1
My friend is on the list at his local dealer for a 991.2 GT3. The dealer wants 30K over for an allocation. My friend will not pay it. He bought from them a 2011 911 Turbo, a 2014 Cayenne GTS, and a 2016 GT4. Yesterday he just purchased a Macaan Turbo for his wife. The Macaan was a 2017 and the 18’s are just rolling in. Being that it was the end of the model year and the car has depreciated in value, he was offered a discount to take a 2017 over a 2018. After he had paid and completed paperwork, he asked the sales manager,”well are you going to give me a GT3 allocation at MSRP now?” The sales managers response was,”did you pay MSRP for your Macaan?” This is total BS in my opinion. When Apple launches their new iPhone X in a month, people will be drooling and easily willing to pay a 50% to 100% premium to be some of the first to get it. Does Apple jack the price up for the first month to double the retail price? Of course not. They are a first quality brand and they determine what they think is a fair price, and that’s the price...period. While Porsche does not own the dealerships, they can easily control dealer gouging be allocating cars to those dealers that sell at msrp. It would immediately fix the current dealer gouging problem and restore integrity to their brand. But what do I know, I’m just trying to get my “reduced engine power CEL” on my 991.1 GT3 to stop coming on every other week.

Oh and the offending dealer may or may not be Porsche of South Bay in Los Angeles.
Perhaps I've been blessed to have the same sales ambassador and same general sales manager working with me for all my Porsche purchases. I might have a different opinion if either of them leaves the dealership.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:21 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

No disrespect taken. You are absolutely correct in the re-phrasing. The Boxster GTS and Macan GTS were fairly discounted (I'm sure others would say I paid too much but I felt I got fair pricing for built to spec models and to compensate my sales ambassador). On the other hand, the GT4 was a hot commodity but I was only going to pay MSRP if I could get one. I had my deposit in fairly early (#11) but after the first batch of allocations were confirmed (at over MSRP) and it didn't look like any more would be made, the dealer returned my deposit. Fast forward to November 2015 and out of the blue my rep calls and asks if I want an allocation at MSRP. I dropped off my deposit that evening and had my built to spec GT4 in the system! This is what makes an exceptional sales ambassador!

That story makes me very happy 😀

The only possible version that would be better is if they were flippers that got denied.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread