Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 02:13 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The whole 'discount off msrp happens so why not the other way' is such a tired and poor argument. They mark down for a 'sale' or 'discount' because they need to encourage someone to buy something that isn't selling. If the demand is there, no discount needed. That is what happens any another store you walk into to purchase something. Best Buy doesn't mark up the hottest new video game console because it is in short supply, do they? They go on sale then they are sitting on the shelves, don't they?
The only reason you call it tired and poor is because you don't like it. Market dictates going rate, whether up or down. I love how you call the argument tired and poor and then rebut by comparing Porsche to Best Buy. I mean, you just can't make this stuff up. I'll let you have last word, Joe. I just don't care enough to go back and forth about it much.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:25 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,387 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
How does a buyer receive an MSRP allocation
Without any of the following:
Trade in
VIP/918
Multiple buyer of P cars

I call total BS that one just walks into P car dealer and negotiates MSRP without any of the above.
I went with a trade for MSRP PTS allocation. With the sales tax credit, no headache trade the numbers worked for me. I laugh at those that tell me to "sharpen" my negotiation skills. FWIW my trade car still sits on dealers lot unsold six months later and several price reductions.
Well, I can tell you it has happened/ is happening at least once. Not sure how to prove this to you other than sending you my email to the dealer and past purchase history of cars. Out of state dealer, too. It's probably not the norm, but I'm sure I'm not the only one and of course I didn't get one of their very first allocations.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:36 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 739 Likes on 403 Posts

The whole 'discount off msrp happens so why not the other way' is such a tired and poor argument. They mark down for a 'sale' or 'discount' because they need to encourage someone to buy something that isn't selling. If the demand is there, no discount needed. That is what happens at any another store you walk into to purchase something. Best Buy doesn't mark up the hottest new video game console because it is in short supply, do they? They go on sale then they are sitting on the shelves, don't they?
I have reread this 10 times and don’t get it. Are you ok with ADMs or not? The first part you say it should be fair and then you give a perfect examples of a company that doesn’t charge ADMs. Best Buy sells everything at the most at MSRP. Now if the item is hot you may have to get in line the night before but eventually you will get the item at MSRP or as you mention a discount later on.

Porsche example is totally contradictory so not quite sure what your stance is. Actually for me doesn’t really matter but this is a horrible analogy.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:48 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 116 Posts

The whole 'discount off msrp happens so why not the other way' is such a tired and poor argument. They mark down for a 'sale' or 'discount' because they need to encourage someone to buy something that isn't selling. If the demand is there, no discount needed. That is what happens at any another store you walk into to purchase something. Best Buy doesn't mark up the hottest new video game console because it is in short supply, do they? They go on sale then they are sitting on the shelves, don't they?
I think the point the SA was making was that the vast majority of his sales, and all auto sales in the US, are at a price less than MSRP. Therefore, when there is an opportunity to sell a car above MSRP, they take it knowing it helps offset the other 95% of sales below MSRP.

Has there ever been a time in history where every single car sold at every single dealer was sold at MSRP for an extended period of time? Therefore, this is more than just a supply and demand issue, rather the underlying philosophy and mechanics of the Auto industry. There aren't that many industries where the price of goods can be negotiated to something other than the listed price, thank goodness! I would be perfectly happy paying MSRP on my Honda if that means paying MSRP on my Porsche. Even IF the end result is I paid more than had I negotiated the Honda to a lesser price and paid an ADM on the Porsche. Solely because it greatly reduces the planning and thought process involved in price negotiations.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:57 PM
Husaberg44
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
Well, I can tell you it has happened/ is happening at least once. Not sure how to prove this to you other than sending you my email to the dealer and past purchase history of cars. Out of state dealer, too. It's probably not the norm, but I'm sure I'm not the only one and of course I didn't get one of their very first allocations.
+1 - out of state, zero history - MSRP - Also got ED at no charge.

I think I can sum it up in a few words:

Persistence
Humility
Probably a bit of luck - But I am a believer that one 'makes his own luck'
Old 09-26-2017, 03:16 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
I have reread this 10 times and donÂ’t get it. Are you ok with ADMs or not? The first part you say it should be fair and then you give a perfect examples of a company that doesnÂ’t charge ADMs. Best Buy sells everything at the most at MSRP. Now if the item is hot you may have to get in line the night before but eventually you will get the item at MSRP or as you mention a discount later on.

Porsche example is totally contradictory so not quite sure what your stance is. Actually for me doesnÂ’t really matter but this is a horrible analogy.
I am about as anti-ADM and anti-flipper as it gets
Old 09-26-2017, 04:05 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
influenced by USCTrojan.. the net hunter..
I will take partial credit for the change in their business practices.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:13 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
The only reason you call it tired and poor is because you don't like it. Market dictates going rate, whether up or down. I love how you call the argument tired and poor and then rebut by comparing Porsche to Best Buy. I mean, you just can't make this stuff up. I'll let you have last word, Joe. I just don't care enough to go back and forth about it much.
How can the ADM price of 20-30k over list be the "market" price when the vast majority of people are paying the lesser MSRP number? We have MSRP for the 80% and some level of ADM for the impatient and/or poorly connected 20%, but the latter is most certainly not the prevailing price. You seem to be assuming we have some open and efficient market, when we have nothing of the sort.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:16 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
How can the ADM price of 20-30k over list be the "market" price when the vast majority of people are paying the lesser MSRP number? We have MSRP for the 80% and some level of ADM for the impatient and/or poorly connected 20%, but the latter is most certainly not the prevailing price.
Yeah, I call BS on ADM being the "market" price....what ADMs are really are fishing for buyers willing to pay above market price.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:20 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I am about as anti-ADM and anti-flipper as it gets
I can agree, and the way to change it is to change the demand curve.

So go out an buy Camaro ZL1 1LE, Merc GTR, Mclaren, etc. Soon enough the market will correct and you can buy Porsche at MSRP and you take away the flippers market. Easy.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:22 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

and if your answer is, but I want a Porsche, now you are just acting like a spoiled kid.

Remember Tickle Me Elmo bears and Christmas in 1996, parents went wild.........now - tickle me who?
Old 09-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad you’re quoted so much on this post and can’t edit it. Very poor analogy that shows your lack of knowledge but hey, it’s RL. Everyone is right!
Old 09-26-2017, 04:23 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

The market price of X today is whatever price it will take any willing buyer to receive X (or a commitment/contract to receive X) today. The market price may be different next month or next year.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:39 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
The market price of X today is whatever price it will take any willing buyer to receive X (or a commitment/contract to receive X) today. The market price may be different next month or next year.
I think your attempt to apply free market theory to a market that is not open is fundamentally unsound. What is your explanation for the vast majority paying significantly below this "market" price on any given day by inking deals at MSRP?
Old 09-26-2017, 04:46 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 739 Likes on 403 Posts

^winner, winner, chicken dinner. Free market economics doesn’t work here but the Economist’s on RL try to imply it does.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread