Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 06:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Exactly the problem. More folks with more money than sense. Folks that don't even know what they are buying but know it is limited and they can get something, someone else can't just to take it to C&C.
Where do you come up with these nonsense generalizations? Do realize how arrogant you sound telling someone how to spend their money and that they have no sense? Did a rich guy kick your puppy once? You honestly think that there are guys out there buying GT3s and RSs that don't even know what they are?

I compare you sitting there with no car, but with your perceived moral high ground, and the professional racer I recently watched pay a big premium to get the car he wanted. Said car which will spend more time at the race track than anything you ever own.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:56 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Where do you come up with these nonsense generalizations? Do realize how arrogant you sound telling someone how to spend their money and that they have no sense? Did a rich guy kick your puppy once? You honestly think that there are guys out there buying GT3s and RSs that don't even know what they are?

I compare you sitting there with no car, but with your perceived moral high ground, and the professional racer I recently watched pay a big premium to get the car he wanted. Said car which will spend more time at the race track than anything you ever own.
DB, another one for the ignore list :-)
Old 09-04-2017, 07:00 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
Sounds like you got his final price.

Did you offer a no trade, cash only deal? I'm not saying it would have done you any good; but, trade deals, sometimes, are not that welcomed by the dealer.

Mainly, IMO, because, often times, the dealers profit is tied up in your trade. Why should he do a trade and wait for his money while attempting to sell your trade? When, with a cash sale, he goes straight to the bank. And then there's, also, the arm wrestling between you and him over how much your trade is worth.

Small stuff perhaps; but, I think it all plays a part.
Yes. Open to both offers. First option was to sell my car outright, obviously better for me but gave him the option.

Originally Posted by br911
^i would not waste time and blah blah blah with a dealer that didn't show interest in taking my $. They are the ones who need to make it work. Too much hassle to buy a car here and sell another one there, explore options, etc. If there is someone else willing to pay for a romantic Hawaii vacation for the GM and his wife, I would easily step out, as I have done before.
Agreed. I move on and have no problem doing so. No need to twist someone's arm to take my money.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:14 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
Same situation with me and my dealer here. SA says they have three open May allocations still asking $25k over, and they wont budge off that. Time is not on their side. We'll see who blinks first. Best of luck to them.
Actually they have no problem just let these allocation sit. And if there's no taker for these $25k or $30k over configurable allocations, the dealer will simply spec these car themselves.

We sure are going to see a few of these ridiculously build car sitting at dealer floor with big ADM on the sticker here in Southern California.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:53 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Unfortunately this may not be a bad strategy for them. My guess is there are more impulse buyers that would jump on "I can drive it out today" than someone paying ADM for a car to be delivered in 9-10 months even if is not exactly what they want and the dealer can load it with every option.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

As the news of the wingless GT3 "R" go from rumour to something much more solid, am I the only one sitting here asking why they bother??

I mean... why spend the money on R&D and new parts tooling and what not to make that thing when they're already not making enough GT3's and have people lining up to buy them?

Am I missing something? What's to be gained by that?
Old 09-05-2017, 10:58 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
As the news of the wingless GT3 "R" go from rumour to something much more solid, am I the only one sitting here asking why they bother??

I mean... why spend the money on R&D and new parts tooling and what not to make that thing when they're already not making enough GT3's and have people lining up to buy them?

^+1 I hear you brother!
Old 09-05-2017, 11:05 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

If you Google a GT3 R it appears to be a full blown non street legal race car.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by white6speed
If you Google a GT3 R it appears to be a full blown non street legal race car.
Yes. That's not what I'm talking about. That's why I put "R" in quotes.

The GT3R is a race car.

The 911R was essentially a street-focused GT3RS. Now they're going to make a similar street-focused version of the GT3.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:16 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

There is market demand for it
Old 09-05-2017, 03:24 PM
Patrick Bateman
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Today I was offered a guaranteed spot for October build, 12/29 delivery, 20k ADM. I passed. If anyone is interested contact me and I'll steer you in the right direction. Going to keep waiting on my quest for MSRP. My dealer is giving me the total run around so today decided to branch out and start contacting some others.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:25 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
Unfortunately this may not be a bad strategy for them. My guess is there are more impulse buyers that would jump on "I can drive it out today" than someone paying ADM for a car to be delivered in 9-10 months even if is not exactly what they want and the dealer can load it with every option.
And these dealers clearly think this strategy has worked in the past with .1 GT3, GT4, 3RS, etc. in order to do it again. If there weren't buyers or if there was enough backlash to hurt business, we would see more "good" dealers. Unfortunately, it's trending the other way.

Unless the dealers lack long-term vision/strategy. Certainly a possibility...after all, they are salespeople.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
There is market demand for it
That's the thing... what does it matter that there's market demand for it? There's also market demand for more GT3's and those cost nothing extra to build. What have they gained in spending the money on development and tooling to build this separate car that will result in zero additional sales?
Old 09-05-2017, 04:39 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

That's the thing... what does it matter that there's market demand for it? There's also market demand for more GT3's and those cost nothing extra to build. What have they gained in spending the money on development and tooling to build this separate car that will result in zero additional sales?
It's a good point. Would be great to hear from Porsche on this. Why have the X90 package if you can't even produce standard GT3. The buyers lined up to purchase the standard GT3 presumably aren't interested in X90. Why bother giving them a choice if they'll buy without. Providing consumer choice doesn't seem necessary here since demand seemingly will not be met.

Unless as some say, demand will be met and we just have to wait. It's all part of the allocation hysteria. Kinda like going to the club back in the day (no idea what it's like now), bouncers hold lines outside to build hype, meanwhile it's dead inside...and VIPs get line bypass or if you come with a group of girls (ADM) you get bypass as well.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:51 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto

Unless as some say, demand will be met and we just have to wait. It's all part of the allocation hysteria. Kinda like going to the club back in the day (no idea what it's like now), bouncers hold lines outside to build hype, meanwhile it's dead inside...and VIPs get line bypass or if you come with a group of girls (ADM) you get bypass as well.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread