Sponsored by:

OFFICIAL 991.2 GT3 RELEASE *Confirmed 500HP 4.0 & Manual option*

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by RajDatta
No sure I would agree. Motorsports engines get the best of the best and the .2 engines is based on the R and RSR engines. That to me tells me it is a more robust engine with racing pedigree. It's irrelevant if they can amortize the cost by using this new engine in motorsports as well as street cars. Expensive is not always better.
Not sure what you'd be disagreeing with. My post doesn't offer any opinions, only questions.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:58 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Didn't mean to start an R discussion with the video. Just thought it was cool to see a candid amateur video.

Would rather discuss options and info on the .2 GT3 here rather than compare it with other models, discuss pricing, allocations, values, worthiness of ownership, and all other subjects we already have threads for those things.

Last edited by STG; 03-11-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
Is there a single mass fly wheel option on this car? If so than that is a big deal unless you must have wing delete. The SMFW changes the character of the car in a major way.
There is not. AP says in the introductory DriveTribe video that the SMFW will end up damaging the bearings when mated to this engine.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Can someone explain the difference between a solid lifter system vs hydraulic lifter system. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't know so I'll ask the question. Thank you.
Hydraulic lifters self-compensate for valvetrain clearances for maintenance-free service. Travel in the hydraulic mechanism soaks up variations in production tolerances and self-adjust to zero lash. They are also quieter than solid lifters.

A lot of performance cars, in fact I believe the vast majority of modern performance cars come with hydraulic valve train motors including the previous generation GT3’s with the Mezgers. It was only in race application that PAG used solid lifters historically. Other examples of hydraulic valved performance street track cars… all 997’s, all 991’s., GT4, all Boxster’s and Caymans, Ferraris back to the late 355s, Corvettes, Lambo’s, Mac’s, R8’s, AMG GT and AMG GTR, Vipers, M3’s and M4’s, GT350s, :’17 Mustang GT4, Boss 302 (‘12& ’13) including the R and S.

As you increase engine rpm limits or require higher rpm limits hydraulic valve trains reach their limitations. This is because under the stresses of high rpm, the hydraulic piston, which serves to zero-out the clearances in normal operation, can either pump up or bleed down.

Solid lifters are as the name implies-solid. There is no internal mechanism to take up clearance, and in fact, they require clearance to operate properly. This clearance is called the valve lash. As the cam comes around to the base circle, the lifter must unload the valvetrain and allow the valve to close. This occurs at zero lash, but some additional clearance is needed to give the solid-lifter valvetrain a little wiggle room to compensate for dimensional changes due to heat expansion. Lash is adjusted with wear or as setting fall out of adjustment. However, as RPMs rise so does valve spring pressure requirements leading to potential wear.

Go to minute 4:13.

It's not that solid lifter engines are "better". They are capable of reaching higher rpms due to lack of hydraulic issues but on the down side require higher pressure springs to compensate for the higher rpms leading to potential earlier wear.

The current .2 GT3 4.0L puts out the same performance power specs as the .1 4.0L with a 400 rpm higher red line. In my mind not that much difference.

They were running the GT3R in 2015 with the street RS motor beginning in 2015. This from PAG web site:

Powering the new 911 GT3 R is a cutting-edge four-litre flat-six unit which is largely identical to the high-performance production engine of the road-legal 911 GT3 RS. Direct petrol injection, which operates at pressures up to 200 bar, as well as variable valve timing technology ensure a particularly efficient use of fuel. Moreover, the normally-aspirated engine offers significantly better driveability and a broader usable rev range. Power from the rear engine is transferred to the 310 mm rear wheels via a Porsche sequential six-speed constant-mesh gearbox. As in the GT road-going models of the 911, the driver changes gears via shift paddles conveniently positioned on the steering wheel.

Engine:

◾Water-cooled six-cylinder boxer engine (rear mounted)
◾4,000 cm3; stroke 81.5 mm; bore 102 mm
◾Output: over 368 kW (500 hp) subject to FIA BoP (air restrictor)
◾Four-valve technology
◾Direct fuel injection
◾Dry sump lubrication

Also, ths from Car & Driver in 2015:

Just like its predecessor, the GT3 R is again powered by a 4.0-liter flat-six engine shared with a production model. In this case, the engine donor is the epic 911 GT3 RS, meaning the GT3 R gets direct fuel injection, dry-sump lubrication, and at least 500 horsepower. That muscle is routed to the rear wheels via a six-speed sequential transmission and a mechanical limited-slip differential, and racing-specific anti-lock braking and traction-control systems help keep things in check.

This from Autoweek May 2015.

We suspect the naturally aspirated 4.0-liter six-cylinder boxer engine out back, good for “over” 500 hp, sounds glorious as well. It’s the same motor you’ll find in the 911 GT3 RS. There’s no manual option -- just a sequential six-speed constant-mesh gearbox -- but we can’t complain, for once, because shaving fractions of seconds off lap times is this car’s raison d’tre. Power is channeled to the rear wheels through a mechanical limited-slip differentia.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...#ixzz4b30WhN9n

So it appears that the hydrraulic lump did see competition and it would appear that PAG switched at some point to solid tappets used in the RSR for the Gen 2 "G" openning the door to even higher rpms in the future as the .2 now reves to 9000 where as the 2015 GT3R red lined at 8500 rpm and the current GT3R and Cup still interestingly red line at 8500 rpm. Perhaps PAG feels that they can get away with stiffer springs on the street version due to the fact they likely will not be seeing the constant and extended higher rpms of the race versions thus the stiffer springs are not an issue with premature wear.

Further, and importantly hydraulic valued motorsport heritage for the 9A1 DFI engines is also established by the GT4 Club sports which use the 991S 3.8L lump now competing in the Continenntal Sports car series in GTS. Our own CJ Wilson is campaigning a pair of GT4s.

Last edited by Waxer; 03-12-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:52 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 418 Posts

^ Nice summary 👍🏻

Thought the GT3R didn't have variocam
Old 03-11-2017, 03:56 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Beyond the name-plate LE (which is a biggin) LWFW is the 800lb gorilla in the room difference not being discussed much. My past experience is that it was a game changer between 997 models that had DMFW and LWFW. could easily be upgraded in most of the 997s. Sounds like not an option in 991.2-3. That's too bad.
I think it will come later. They can/will engineer a new lwfw for this engine, maybe in another application. A regular GT3 has never had a lwfw in the past. All 997 RS had them standard though.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:51 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Waxer, thank you for taking the time and effort to post this.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:09 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 151 Posts

Im sorry if this was reported earlier, but do us cars all have the roof wart because satellite radio is standard?
Old 03-11-2017, 05:40 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MEM82
what is everyones thought on black door handles? i tried it on miami, chalk and white, with satin black wheels and black headlights. i think it looks nice with the wing endplates and mirror undersides. maybe its a bit much.
Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I think it looks rubbish. It is one of those options like painted side skirts which is there to make money rather than to enhance the car. And I'm sure people with no taste but it in droves.
If you like the black door handles, don't let anyone tell you that it's in bad taste. It's a classic look.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:44 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
Can someone confirm is Sports Seats Plus (4-way) are the exact same physical seats as the Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)?

I know the 18-ways includes the additional adjustments, memory and electronics, but beyond that do they offer the same shape/style and comfort?
The forward thigh support is different, it is short on the 4-ways. I think you can adjust the 18-ways to where the 4-ways are if you want to. If long thigh support is important to you you might want to confirm what's going on.

As another note, at least since last year the Cayman/Boxster carry different versions of the 4-way sports seats plus. So if you are at the dealer you can't use that as a reference.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Beyond the name-plate LE (which is a biggin) LWFW is the 800lb gorilla in the room difference not being discussed much. My past experience is that it was a game changer between 997 models that had DMFW and LWFW. could easily be upgraded in most of the 997s. Sounds like not an option in 991.2-3. That's too bad.
Why lament the lack of a LWFW if the engine doesn't need it. AP in the Drivetribe video specifically says that the new enigine is so snappy from low revs that it is not needed.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:03 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

^ AP is a salesman. What he actually said to PH was, "So the new engine with the single-mass flywheel up to this point in time is not possible."

I'm sure we will see it eventually, either on this or another model...
Old 03-11-2017, 06:15 PM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
I think it will come later. They can/will engineer a new lwfw for this engine, maybe in another application. A regular GT3 has never had a lwfw in the past. All 997 RS had them standard though.
Probably saving it for the 911R.2 or LE MT RS at the end of the run.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

^ My money is on the former; perhaps on a Speedster version as well. I do think the RS will remain PDK.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
^ AP is a salesman. What he actually said to PH was, "So the new engine with the single-mass flywheel up to this point in time is not possible."

I'm sure we will see it eventually, either on this or another model...
And what he then said in the Drivetride video was that "the engine was so responsive and snappy that you won't miss it".

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL 991.2 GT3 RELEASE *Confirmed 500HP 4.0 & Manual option*