OFFICIAL 991.2 GT3 RELEASE *Confirmed 500HP 4.0 & Manual option*

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 02:50 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrea911
Pics from aire scoop for STG

It's nice Porsche decided to keep the rear lid hinges in black vs body colour as in the .1 so if you need to make any adjustments you won't show scratched paint. Thank you for all the great pics. Enjoy the show.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:51 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Fun to be reminded that this is the engine in the new GT3... can't wait to see what journos think of it.

Here at Amelia island today ... a nicer gentler more southern version of Pebble...
Wow! That 356 interior. Before the owner gets in,
I bet they put on those little blue booties you wear on your shoes
at an open house?

Keep the pics coming!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Steph_GT3
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STALKER99
I don't like the plastic intakes or wing end plates either. I'll have them painted locally or if we can get CF parts....I'll go that route.

Has anyone seen Chalk in person???
Hi!

New to the forum... We just configured our GT3 yesterday at our local dealer (Porsche Centre Oakville).

We went with chalk and saw the sample of it in the dealership. Its GORGEOUS!

We originally went in there planning on building a white one, but fell in love with Chalk. It looks very "beigey" on the online builder, but it is much more of a light grey in person.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
yes I can... I have a 991.1 GT3 with 18-ways and a GT4 with the 4-ways. The seats are the same with the exception of the extra adjustments. I suppose the most important to some might be the adjustable lumbar support on the 18-ways, which the 4-ways doesn't have at all. However, I find both the 18-ways and the 4-ways equally comfortable and supportive and feel identical to my rear side.

If you're going to be the only one driving your car and assuming you don't need to move your seat around every time you get in and out of the car, the 4-ways are a comparative bargain as far as "sofas" go. They also look just as good if not better (fewer buttons and fuss), and I suppose they're probably lighter weight too.
Great, thank you Lapis, very helpful!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:20 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by STG
I think they look great. Hey, if they're functional! A carbon fiber cover would look sweet!
Attachment 1143150
Nice to see the extra carbon fibre on the underside of the lid.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:36 PM
GT971
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lapis
yes I can... I have a 991.1 GT3 with 18-ways and a GT4 with the 4-ways. The seats are the same with the exception of the extra adjustments. I suppose the most important to some might be the adjustable lumbar support on the 18-ways, which the 4-ways doesn't have at all. However, I find both the 18-ways and the 4-ways equally comfortable and supportive and feel identical to my rear side.

If you're going to be the only one driving your car and assuming you don't need to move your seat around every time you get in and out of the car, the 4-ways are a comparative bargain as far as "sofas" go. They also look just as good if not better (fewer buttons and fuss), and I suppose they're probably lighter weight too.

I currently own a GT4 with LWB and love it . It's great on the track , but for everyday usuability I'm not quite sure. I'm considering the standard sport seats for my .2 GT3 , just curious to know if they provide adequate support on the track ?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:39 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

The Canadian configurator shows a picture of the standard wheels in a silver colour but the write up says they're satin platinum. I wonder if they're the same as the standard .1's? Haven't checked the US site.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:29 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Steph_GT3
Hi!

New to the forum... We just configured our GT3 yesterday at our local dealer (Porsche Centre Oakville).

We originally went in there planning on building a white one, but fell in love with Chalk. It looks very "beigey" on the online builder, but it is much more of a light grey in person.
Thanks. I'll pop in and check it out. PCO is my local dealer.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:55 PM
rezin23
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Huge bummer on not having yellow stitching available. Every Porsche I have owned has had PCCB and yellow stitching and seat belts. That's a real turnoff for me.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 541 Posts

Doubt anyone can truly answer this with anything other than speculation:

AP always mentioned how expensive some of the 4.0 engine components were in the RS and R. Do you think they had to get production costs of new 4.0 down to keep w/I'm budget of the 1.2 MSRP? Or is the incremental cost of each new engine peanuts after they spread the development costs for 9A1 over more and more cars?

Meaning, is RS/R still a more expensive engine with more expensive/exotic component materials (although probably inferior engine)? Was part of the engineering feet to get a lower budget engine to have similar to better performance?

I am not asking this as a "is my RS still better" question. It's pure curiosity after discussion with a friend of mine reminding me of all the talk about uber expensive engine parts in 991RS and R. No doubt this Gt3 and all future GT product will be better than the last; no debate.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Greggt3
Touring Package?
All reference to Touring package has now been removed from German configurator. But it's still coming.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Doubt anyone can truly answer this with anything other than speculation:

AP always mentioned how expensive some of the 4.0 engine components were in the RS and R. Do you think they had to get production costs of new 4.0 down to keep w/I'm budget of the 1.2 MSRP? Or is the incremental cost of each new engine peanuts after they spread the development costs for 9A1 over more and more cars?

Meaning, is RS/R still a more expensive engine with more expensive/exotic component materials (although probably inferior engine)? Was part of the engineering feet to get a lower budget engine to have similar to better performance?

I am not asking this as a "is my RS still better" question. It's pure curiosity after discussion with a friend of mine reminding me of all the talk about uber expensive engine parts in 991RS and R. No doubt this Gt3 and all future GT product will be better than the last; no debate.
They went on about the crankshaft being spaceship steel same as the 919. But really that was no big deal. It wasn't lighter or anything as all steel pretty much has the same mass. It was a bit stronger because of multiple heat treating process in manufacture. But how often do you get a "my normal crankshaft isn't strong enough" problem? Probably marketing speak mostly.

The new GT3 engine is definitely better than the RS/R engine, which was very similar to the GT3.1 engine. This is due to significant heads/valvetrain and oiling/oil pressure improvements.

In one interview they say there is now headroom for improvement so the exciting question is: what will they do for the new RS? Will it get 9k to give it more kudos than the RS.1??
Old 03-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Black gold
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steph_GT3
Hi!

Wow that's quick! Were you on a list for awhile? When is build date? Pdk or MT? Sorry for the multiple questions, I'm in gta and anxious.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:04 PM
Andrea911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by STG
Curious how rear window visibility will be now? Rear wing being just a bit higher, but still lower than RS.

Can you take a picture of the engine vents from the front face of them? Looking down the rear windshield. Thanks.
Hi STG, i'm back from the show, we where to the Swiss Porsche Club events, here are some news pics

Old 03-10-2017, 08:09 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gravs
They went on about the crankshaft being spaceship steel same as the 919. But really that was no big deal. It wasn't lighter or anything as all steel pretty much has the same mass. It was a bit stronger because of multiple heat treating process in manufacture. But how often do you get a "my normal crankshaft isn't strong enough" problem? Probably marketing speak mostly.

The new GT3 engine is definitely better than the RS/R engine, which was very similar to the GT3.1 engine. This is due to significant heads/valvetrain and oiling/oil pressure improvements.

In one interview they say there is now headroom for improvement so the exciting question is: what will they do for the new RS? Will it get 9k to give it more kudos than the RS.1??

After listening to AP, I really think this 4.0 engine has a lot of upside and we'll be used for many applications. Next GT3RS, most definitely.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL 991.2 GT3 RELEASE *Confirmed 500HP 4.0 & Manual option*