991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 is 3.8 and RS.2???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016 | 09:43 PM
consolidated
Drifting

FI engines are a different kettle of fish. My wife's Volvo 7-seat kid mauler makes 158hp/l, really dislike that engine.
Old 11-29-2016 | 10:09 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Wow, this getting like Reddit! Some of these predictions seem to come from The Onion.
Old 11-29-2016 | 10:14 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by consolidated
FI engines are a different kettle of fish. My wife's Volvo 7-seat kid mauler makes 158hp/l, really dislike that engine.
Agree, but when you drive the 918/488/675 you forget about turbos imho. When I drive my RS or GT3 the power difference I feel is substantial, but I do like FI better.

It is much different in the BMW/Audi/Volvo turbo cars, plenty of lag.

I am looking forward to the .2 GT3, but I really can't wait for the GT2 RS.
Old 11-29-2016 | 10:27 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Porsche tested a completely electric Boxster too.

Testing something doesn't mean Porsche will actually produced them you know?

FSW and AP told us 918 owners face to face that the .2 GT3 will be a 4.0L.

Also there will not be a hybrid in a 991 body. There is no room for the system, straight from Walliser's mouth when I asked him in Geneva. The 'reported' hybrid front axle car is a 992 mule if you must know. When I discussed the hybrid system with Walliser, I even described how the system could be packaged. Battery in the center tunnel as it is freed up by the lack of a driveshaft, the e-motor will be placed in the same places the front differential. He only smiled.

Whose your source again? Pretty sure our sources are quite a bit more reliable than yours.

This is a NA Porsche engine, highly strung 3.8L 9000rpm one, HP doesn't magically appeared with a 'tuned' ECU and a exhaust. Do you think it will be like those magically big tube Honda Civic exhaust that will give a magically 25HP from a 1.6L 140HP engine?
Wow. This is a confident post. The clarity is refreshing.
Old 11-29-2016 | 11:02 PM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

All know the GT3 street and GT3 Cup relation
The only reason to downgrade the .2 GT3 (from already presented GT3 Cup engine in Paris) to a 3.8
would be to intenionally kill the GT3 product to leave sales room
only for RS and R (both a GT3 parts bin sold at much higher MSRP)

As also stated publicly by AP in Geneva '16 the next future might not see a GT3 but RS and R (a more margin business option)

I' d (as most here) prefer to believe what i prefer
so a 4L all the way

but i don t think Walliser, in case of any plan roadmap change, would be so kind to call all
1 by 1 these mega vips to correct an opportunity spoken 1 year ago

so calm down there s room here as for any RS or R parts bin

in the hope .2RS might be a REAL lighter GT3 version
*or a real different product as it was 997 RS 4.0 or the first R*

otherwise GT3 all the way and all RS R parts bin to the hipsters

Last edited by fxz; 11-29-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-29-2016 | 11:15 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, is Saudi going to cut or not? Is the .2gt3 a 3.8 or 4.0? Both fun to speculate on but I don't think anyone really knows unless they are at the meeting (factory). At least we'll know OPEC tomorrow. Then all we'll have is 3.8 or 4.0 to speculate with no real information.

I won't believe anything 100% until Geneva in March.

Fun stuff. 🤔
Old 11-29-2016 | 11:20 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
Yawn
This.
Old 11-29-2016 | 11:34 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fastmd
The Mclaren 675 LT has 666 HP with a 3.8= 175.26 HP per litre, but uses turbos.

Exactly, you corrected yourself. The sky is the limit pretty much on turbo engines. We are talking about NA engines only, which is much more difficult to extra HP.
Old 11-29-2016 | 11:59 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
All know the GT3 street and GT3 Cup relation
The only reason to downgrade the .2 GT3 (from already presented GT3 Cup engine in Paris) to a 3.8
would be to intenionally kill the GT3 product to leave sales room
only for RS and R (both a GT3 parts bin sold at much higher MSRP)
If Porsche wants to maintain at least the 475HP, they simply cannot stay at 3.8L. There is no other way. Unless of course you don't mind the price being jacked up 15-20% because Porsche put in ultra exotic material in the engine to make it rev to 9000rpm again.

Killing off the GT3 doesn't need to down grade the engine to 3.8L. If Porsche needs to kill it, it can be killed even at 4.2L. You make absolutely no sense.

As also stated publicly by AP in Geneva '16 the next future might not see a GT3 but RS and R (a more margin business option)
Wrong again. Believe it or not, the margin on a GT3 and the GT3RS is around the same. The GT3RS MSRP is a bit higher but it also has lots of exotic material and specific parts that are expensive. A RS car just means it's a track car that's suitable for the street, which also ties in with their race cars. At last count, the GT3 Cup, GT3R, 911RSR all uses the NA 4.0L flat 6 at different tune. The incoming GT2RS next summer is just a 'why not' car. It is a great name plate from Porsche's history. A future R just means another specialty car that's from their pet project category. We saw it already.

but i don t think Walliser, in case of any plan roadmap change, would be so kind to call all
1 by 1 these mega vips to correct an opportunity spoken 1 year ago
No he doesn't call us, but we do see him or AP or both often enough during events. As a matter of fact just last week FSW was at the Porsche Experience Centre LA with us.
Old 11-30-2016 | 12:24 AM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

^Killing a product is quiet simple

1 you stop producing it

2 or you make it less attractive keeping a 3.8 "minor" displacement

RS carbon parts overcharged price makes more margin

not to mention green R stripes...

I am also sure Walliser won't call you just in case they changed their minds...
Old 11-30-2016 | 02:10 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz

1 you stop producing it

When is the last time you saw Porsche made something inferior to the previous generation?

Only reason Porsche would kill the GT3 is when they kill the 4.0L NA engine. Which seems highly unlike as those are in al their race cars and skunk works had something going with that engine...............

A 4.0L GT3 with manual option is soooooooooo attractive, especially to those that wanted an R and couldn't get one. There is a boatload of sales to be had. It WILL be a successful product, you know? Actually it won't to those that only wanted an R just to flip it....................

*unlock my phone to see Dr. Walliser's number on speed dial*

*in between Andy Preuninger's and Joe Lawrence's*

*oh I have Alexander Pollich and Andre Oosthuizen's numbers too*

*still have Detlev von Platen's old US number*

I am on a first name basis with all of them and many more. How tight you are with Porsche?
Old 11-30-2016 | 02:15 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

You really don't want to underestimate how much a typical 918 owner knows. There are many many more stuff that cannot be posted on a public board, one reason why we moved to a private group.

Things we don't say doesn't mean we don't know, it just means it's not for public consumption.

I am already one of the most vocal and public one, I could just as well shut up and leave everything in the dark.
Old 11-30-2016 | 02:50 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by fxz

1 you stop producing it

Look, trolling is trolling, acting crazy is funny, and you're clearly a pro, we get it, applause well deserved. And Maybe making insane claims like saying a brand is purposefully producing an inferior product just to kill it is just another tool in your uhm, tool-kit. I just sometimes wonder if this just your shtik saying crazy stuff like Andy Kaufman, where everyone was always left wondering if he was just really good at staying in character... or....
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2016 | 03:20 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
You really don't want to underestimate how much a typical 918 owner knows. There are many many more stuff that cannot be posted on a public board, one reason why we moved to a private group.

Things we don't say doesn't mean we don't know, it just means it's not for public consumption.

I am already one of the most vocal and public one, I could just as well shut up and leave everything in the dark.
Please continue to contribute to the 991 GT3/RS/R board. Everyone else here (besides fxz) greatly appreciates your statements and the appropriate weight of them given your access to those who make decisions on future GT cars.

No one here takes fxz seriously, he/she's like a crazy grandaunt that always says random crazy things at family events, and everyone just ignores her because her ramblings make no sense and her predictions are never correct.........
Old 11-30-2016 | 05:07 AM
rickman_fr
Rennlist Member

If the RS.2 has no turbos how could it be competitive without hybridization. But if it has turbos, is this still a GT3 RS? That means for Porsche the end of a line of products !?

Of course, we can think of a 4.2 engine displacement, but that will not exceed 550 horsepower, which is far below the powers of Ferrari and McLaren.

So I think that Porsche is going to have the temptation to release an RS.2 with a hybrid system with flywheel, to have a momentary surplus of power and remained competitive.

Quick Reply: 991.2 is 3.8 and RS.2???