991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 is 3.8 and RS.2???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016 | 07:19 PM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

in hundrends of useless replies no one has answered the OP thread question
Old 11-30-2016 | 07:33 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by fxz
Only predictions. Even the Porsche engineering crew is trying to work that out currently. Old greek saying states that. When you decide to step out on the dance floor. You should be ready to dance.
Old 11-30-2016 | 10:00 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
Whoopsy answered both questions with his true insider knowledge. He stated that...

1- .2 GT3 is 4.0L not 3.8L
2- no hybrid tech for RS or any other 991 generation car.

I considered both issues settled until Geneva next year.
Old 11-30-2016 | 10:02 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

I wonder what all the Porsche execs must think when they read all this?
Old 11-30-2016 | 10:22 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bronson7
That the community is bat **** crazy ...
Old 11-30-2016 | 10:33 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by bronson7
I am sure some will find it amusing but I would seriously hope they would take some of our comments seriously, this kind of feedback on their cars from their core buyers is invaluable. Beats the hell out of paying for market research...
Old 11-30-2016 | 10:34 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
Whoopsy answered both questions with his true insider knowledge. He stated that...

1- .2 GT3 is 4.0L not 3.8L
2- no hybrid tech for RS or any other 991 generation car.

I considered both issues settled until Geneva next year.
BTW, you wont have to wait until Geneva. Pricing info, options, etc will be released on January 9th. I will be locking my configuration and final price with my dealer on January 10th. Geneva will be first public showing of the car.
Old 11-30-2016 | 10:41 PM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

it s too funny how smone like to be fooled

No hybrid RS is not an answer

What kind of GT3 RS
and When GT3 RS
are the OP,
after hundreds of useless replies ,
unanswered thread real questions but barber shop chatting

Last edited by fxz; 12-01-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-30-2016 | 11:27 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
I am sure some will find it amusing but I would seriously hope they would take some of our comments seriously, this kind of feedback on their cars from their core buyers is invaluable. Beats the hell out of paying for market research...

As in someone say make more cars so everyone gets one, then someone else says make less to protect their investment?

Make it faster, lighter, cheaper, whatever?

Fully customizable options like how one order a Subway sandwich? Someone wants a right seat delete while another wants a passenger sun visor delete while a 3rd wants back seats and a 4th say he only wants one back seat not 2. One wants a bigger wing but another wants wing delete.

Then there are those that want PTS on anything.

Another member thinks HP can magically appear out of thin air. So keep the same displacement and rev range but wants extra HP just from an exhaust.

Yet another wants Porsche to kill the model.

Everyone here has a different agenda in their mind, Porsche would be crazy to come in here for market research, to them, Rennlist forums are more like after work laughing stock material with all the outrageous claims and requests.

Those Germans never had their factory set up to do true custom work with 10s of millions of combinations like Ford does with the F-150 pickup. Their custom shop Exclusive department is already swamped with orders, that's why Porsche restrict customizations now, unlike say in the 80s where they sell less cars and can do truly custom work where the limitation is on one's mind and wallet. Ferrari and McLaren and to a certain extend Lamborghini are still doing it simply because they produced much less cars than Porsche.

If Rennlist really want Porsche to listen, then be realistic with the ideas.
Old 11-30-2016 | 11:59 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

I can't imagine someone from Porsche wanting to even set foot in this place. It's fun for us, but what a nightmare if this is what you do for a living.

As a physician, it would be like spending my spare time in a medical forum for hypochondriacs.
Old 12-01-2016 | 12:04 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
As in someone say make more cars so everyone gets one, then someone else says make less to protect their investment?

Fully customizable options like how one order a Subway sandwich? Someone wants a right seat delete while another wants a passenger sun visor delete while a 3rd wants back seats and a 4th say he only wants one back seat not 2. One wants a bigger wing but another wants wing delete.

Another member thinks HP can magically appear out of thin air. So keep the same displacement and rev range but wants extra HP just from an exhaust.

Everyone here has a different agenda in their mind, Porsche would be crazy to come in here for market research, to them, Rennlist forums are more like after work laughing stock material with all the outrageous claims and requests.

Those Germans never had their factory set up to do true custom work with 10s of millions of combinations like Ford does with the F-150 pickup. Their custom shop Exclusive department is already swamped with orders, that's why Porsche restrict customizations now, unlike say in the 80s where they sell less cars and can do truly custom work where the limitation is on one's mind and wallet. Ferrari and McLaren and to a certain extend Lamborghini are still doing it simply because they produced much less cars than Porsche.

meh, I'd settle for an engine that didnt self destruct. They can laugh at me all they want, I'll take my business elsewhere.
Old 12-01-2016 | 12:20 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Point well taken and agreed there is some absolute BS floating around here in terms of the things you spoke of. But there are also IMO a fair share of really great core track day guys putting these cars though their paces in what is turning out to be a rolling test bed for Porsche cars at their own expense. This is more of what I thought would be great feedback for them. More along the lines of information in regard to durability. At the end of the day these cars still remain the greatest value in the GT car world and it's not even close when you consider the sheer amounts of track use.
Old 12-01-2016 | 07:05 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

this i don't understand fully.

how many variants does have the 911 compared to the F150. and than take it in comparison with units per variant.

in the 911GT-range Ferrari and Lambo do not produce way less cars. rather the other way around.
and as i have in mind the GT line is still seperated from the "breat and butter" 911 production. so no excuse for me.

if exclusive department is full. lets enlarge it. that CXX/PTS stuff can't be a loss (i would guess not even a less than a 50% margin) business for them.
Old 12-01-2016 | 10:31 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

To Whoopsy's point, here is what I believe an achievable objective could be:

- keep horsepower the same or add token amount while ensuring engine is bullet proof
- no wing choice, add moderate incremental downforce vs gen 1 car
- deduct 50 kilos if feasible within cost parameter below
- no diffuser choice (either they incorporate or they don't)
- choice of transmission, ample supply of both
- a half dozen model-unique colors in addition to the standard non-metallics and metallics (this would negate need for PTS, tell us to pound sand on PTS)
- option of two or three fabrics for center of chairs, in addition to standard leather options (i.e. I would offer Pepita, the early '90s "Porsche" script, and one wacky throw back like plaid or a psychedelic)
- keep other options akin to rest of line-up
- keep MSRP within 7-10% of current car
- reward 918 customers by allowing them pre-selected set of non-performance enhancing CXX options
- do not accommodate desire of customers to replicate the R with wingless, striped GT3...this can be the bone they throw R customers. They get the 4L without a wing and with stripes and green needles
- tell people disappointed with gross HP number to buy a Turbo S, this isn't the car for them
Old 12-01-2016 | 11:14 AM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Originally Posted by jo_ker
this i don't understand fully.

how many variants does have the 911 compared to the F150. and than take it in comparison with units per variant.

in the 911GT-range Ferrari and Lambo do not produce way less cars. rather the other way around.
and as i have in mind the GT line is still seperated from the "breat and butter" 911 production. so no excuse for me.

if exclusive department is full. lets enlarge it. that CXX/PTS stuff can't be a loss (i would guess not even a less than a 50% margin) business for them.
When I was an automotive OEM consultant, I remember I did an analysis to show all the different combinations different car models could possibly have and the base 911 and 911S together had over 1 trillion possible combinations (not including PTS and options you can choose any color). I'm sure the GT division is not any different when you calculate the permutations today.

I think Whoopsy's point is how Ford and Porsche go about actually manufacturing and stocking their vehicles. Go to a Ford dealer and you will see tons of F150s because they keep a large stock of inventory due to all the variations. For regular mass produced cars, 60-70 days stock of a vehicle is considered healthy, but due to the amount of variation on the F150 (cab size, bed size, axle ratio, engine, wheels, mirrors) Ford carries more stock (100+ days) to satiate demand. Having much larger manufacturing capabilities and selling tons and tons of F150s allow Ford to do this.

Porsche, on the other hand, does not keep very much inventory of their GT cars and, like many say, build per customer order. So, even though they have so many different permutations of how to configure a model, their factory does not produce vehicles for mass throughput to be placed on dealer lots, limiting their realistic capability to produce so many different GT car combinations.

Quick Reply: 991.2 is 3.8 and RS.2???