991.2 is 3.8 and RS.2???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 03:16 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This feels like a letter to Santa...
Don't think I haven't already asked Santa to put the big hurt to my favor stealerships, Auto Gallery the best worst of the bunch. If I've taken away even one sale from those scumbags, I've done my job.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:26 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
No doubt the LWFW will now be an option now that they learned many will opt for this and cough over the extra cashish
And that is one option I'll definitely open up my wallet for.

Originally Posted by unotaz
Why are you guys still speculating? The info on the 991.2 GT3 has already been passed down during the dealer meeting a few weeks ago. 4L with 493HP to be released in September 2017. Manual is offered. End of story.

Upcoming Panamera Turbo S will be a 687hp hybrid, to be released in November 2017.
A gentleman who has bought more Porsches in his day than cars that all of us combined have and is getting an R without having bought a 918 basically told me it was going to be a 4.0L with a MT back in the summer so I wasn't sweating it.

Now, what I'd like to know is if we'll have a LWFW and/or rear diffuser option? Anything you can mention here or via PM to us mere mortals?
Old 11-29-2016, 03:27 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

One big question in my mind will be if and why 918 owners who got an R would even want to order a .2GT3 other than to try to flip it?

All you 918 owners on here, will you be ordering a .2GT3?
Old 11-29-2016, 11:00 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
One big question in my mind will be if and why 918 owners who got an R would even want to order a .2GT3 other than to try to flip it?

Maybe they want to get the .2 GT3 to drive and track and then bubble wrap the R to sell at a later date
Old 11-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 546 Posts

If you have half a brain and are a 918 guy, you never turn down a GT early in the cycle that you can drive for free or flip for some profit most likely in a few months. Most of these guys didn't get the means to buy a 918 being stupid.

You spec and order one of the first gt3's your dealer has. If, somehow, the market is only MSRP (which we know it won't be), you can always just pass on your allocation when it arrives. It's a FREE option to order one of first GT3's that will hit the road. And most likely get paid to drive it for a few months.

Even if the exercise is completely immaterial to their net worth, 99% of them still like the idea of being paid to own a car or at least owning it for free. Who wouldn't like that?
Old 11-29-2016, 12:25 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Process
Quality DLC Deposition

DLC coatings can be deposited using a variety of deposition methods such as sputtering, ion beam, cathodic arc, electron beam, lasers and PACVD. NCT deposits our diamond like carbon coatings using our partner The HEF Group’s patented technology combining PVD and PACVD which deposits some of the highest quality, most consistent DLC coatings available to industry today.

This technology allows the DLC coatings to be deposited in large scale production machines without sacrificing film quality. With HEF’s patented technology, we have the ability to deposit PVD layers as well as dense, uniform PACVD layers in the same system. Our process will transition from PVD layers to DLC layers seamlessly producing films that exhibit excellent interlayer adhesion as well as excellent adhesion to the substrate. The PACVD process NCT utilizes will deposit a DLC coating that will have no noticeable effect on your product’s surface finish.

Coating Process

Diamond Like Carbon Coating Coating ProcessThe product is placed into the stainless steel vacuum chamber on a fixturing carousel and the chamber is evacuated. The product is preheated to a low processing temperature that will not exceed (150 c) 300 F. The preheating phase of the process conditions the substrate for the coating and will ensure that all of the moisture absorbed by the material has been outgassed before the deposition process begins.

After the preheat cycle is complete, the process transitions into the ion etching phase where product is bombarded with ions from argon gas to scrub or sputter clean the surface and remove micro oxides. This scrubbing of the surface with ions cleans the surface and improves the adhesion of the coating to the substrate.

After the substrate has been sputter cleaned, the process transitions into the coating phase. If an initial layer (underlayer) is needed to improve the performance of the product in the final use, the high energy sputtering process developed by The HEF Group is used to deposit a dense well adhered smooth underlayer. As the underlayer coating reaches the proper thickness, the process transitions into the DLC coating step which deposits a dense, smooth amorphous carbon hydrogenated(a-C:H) layer onto the product’s surface.
My bad, I just thought you submerge a nice lamb shank into some Domaine de la Romanee-Conti (DRC) wine and cook it for a while
Old 11-29-2016, 12:32 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 977 Likes on 424 Posts

I won't be buying the regular GT3 because there is no point for me. When the .2 GT3RS comes out, I will be lusting after that and the regular GT3 will lose its appeal quick!

Trust me, there are other very special cars that Porsche will be releasing. I will be getting those for sure!
Old 11-29-2016, 01:01 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 640 Likes on 305 Posts

GT2RS was tested with hybrid front axle as others reported. Just like RSR was tested with turbo motor also...pre Lemans Ford and Ferrari running away.
GT3.2 with ECU tuned 3.8 with new exhaust they would call 500hp and the manual is the special sauce.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:38 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 150 Posts

If I can't get PTS, I'd love to get Miami Blue.
wouldnt that be nice if miami and carmine made an appearance like the rest of the lineup?
Old 11-29-2016, 01:51 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

A 4L in the new .2 GT3 would be a real kick in the pants to the R owners. MHO.

I think a 3.8 with more power through ECU and better aero and MT option is the ticket.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,042 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
A 4L in the new .2 GT3 would be a real kick in the pants to the R owners. MHO.

I think a 3.8 with more power through ECU and better aero and MT option is the ticket.
Sorry, but significantly increasing specific output beyond the current 125 hp per Liter while simultaneously lowering maximum revs is highly unlikely with an ECU tweek...
Old 11-29-2016, 02:31 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 640 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Sorry, but significantly increasing specific output beyond the current 125 hp per Liter while simultaneously lowering maximum revs is highly unlikely with an ECU tweek...
Remember AP in the original Autocar press release stating the 3.8 was making "well over 475hp"? Adding 15hp with minimal actual changes is possible.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:43 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Remember AP in the original Autocar press release stating the 3.8 was making "well over 475hp"? Adding 15hp with minimal actual changes is possible.
I think what he meant was that the GT3 at that time was making over 475hp. So in theory. If they quote a higher figure for the future car. They really wouldn't be lying. Given the same hardware.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,458 Likes on 761 Posts

Porsche wants to move past the 3.8 fiasco. They already have the 4.0 and they can de-tune that, if necessary. The 991.1 will be legendary for all the wrong reasons. They rushed to market and we all paid the price.

It does not mean that it is not a great car. They will be replacing engines for years to come. It is risk management; better than another recall. Just play the numbers
Old 11-29-2016, 02:59 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I think what he meant was that the GT3 at that time was making over 475hp. So in theory. If they quote a higher figure for the future car. They really wouldn't be lying. Given the same hardware.
Very true and somewhat sneaky to boot.

Quick Reply: 991.2 is 3.8 and RS.2???