Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 GT3RS allocations the truth please read.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016 | 08:21 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carz80am
Same thing happened to me. I eventually found one but I had to pay over msrp. I'm already ready to sell for what I have into it.
I guess I feel fortunate. I got a December allocation at msrp from my local dealer. I made decision to focus on one pcar dealer a few years ago. I've bought and sold several cars thru them, sent them a fair amount of referral business, made effort to actually get to know a couple key guys at the dealership and whine a little too :-) . They are a good, independent dealer on top of all of that and are well represented on RL (which is why I chose them over the other two local dealers in Houston). Very recently, I have started to feel the benefits of my selection and personal investment in one good local dealer (PNH). Sorry it hasn't worked the same way for everyone else but I can't say enough good things about Tino, Billy and John over at PNH. They are stand up guys, understand how to treat loyal clients and get an amazing selection of GT cars (new and used). I didn't intend this to be a commercial for PNH but I'm definitely appreciative of their decision to reward my loyalty instead of offering my allocation to the highest bidder like a lot of members on this forum have experienced. But, in fairness, I'm still a fairly young guy and will reciprocate their loyalty with ALL my future Porsche business for a good couple decades most likely. So, it's good business practice in the end. But it takes longer term thinking to pass up the premiums that most dealers are pulling. Hats off to PNH and I hope I didn't blow them up with whoever the handful of guys are behind me on their waiting list.
Old 06-28-2016 | 08:39 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by MJK-PurpleRS
From the time this thread started, my business made the $$$ necessary for me to pay over MSRP,stop complaining and go to work!!
Thank you for that life lesson...

Remember, not everybody's "work" pays the same and it's a helluva lot easier and a lot less pain paying 50k over when you have the money to do so. Also, many people around here won't pay over on principle. I never begrudge anyone for how they come by their money but I do judge them on how they act when they have it.

I'll go back to work now...
Old 06-28-2016 | 08:53 PM
NYC123
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Big effing deal. Remember not everybody's "work" pays the same and it's a helluva lot easier and a lot less pain paying 50k over when you have the money to do so. Also, many people around here won't pay over on principle. I never begrudge anyone for how they come by their money but I do judge them on how they act when they have it. I'm going back to work now..
for anybody on here that still wants an RS there are many dealers currently with additional new allocations plenty out there used now at close to msrp as well. they will be under msrp by winter production is just too high on them
Old 06-28-2016 | 08:56 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by NYC123
for anybody on here that still wants an RS there are many dealers currently with additional new allocations plenty out there used now at close to msrp as well. they will be under msrp by winter production is just too high on them
delete

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 06-29-2016 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2016 | 08:59 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

I havent seen any used ones at "close to MSRP"
Old 06-28-2016 | 09:06 PM
tims16m
Racer

Originally Posted by carz80am
Maintenance is nothing as ferrari has free maintenance for 7 years on new cars. There are some dealers that make you buy stuff like California's in order to get the 488 or make you buy a used car from them over msrp to get you in. All depends on the dealer. Just like everything else, If you have patience you can usually get around this. I already have a 488 and have only owned 1 Ferrari in the past and will have a 488 spider before the end of the year at msrp.
Sorry didn't actually mean service maintenance. What I meant was staying in the program and "maintenance" of good status with the dealership. I was talking about limited edition cars like the the TDF, Aperta 458, 488 speciale, Laferrari , etc. It requires a lot of purchases of their other cars( FF, Lusso, Cali) and continued purchases between the limited car offerings. Those are not cars sold to the occasional customer unless your buying on the secondary market for a significant premium.
Old 06-28-2016 | 09:07 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

If I owned PAG I would sell all allocations of low-production cars via monthly global public auctions just like Govt bills/notes/bonds are sold. After the first few auctions where all sorts of flippers, traders, speculators, and "collectors" fall over themselves to pay $2MM per RS allocation, then get their a$$es carried out by only being able to sell them for $1MM to the second tier of speculators, the market would probably reach a proper equilibrium where dealers would bid in these auctions at levels 10-15% below where they expect to sell them to people who actually want them.

But PAG doesn't want this. It wants to use the GT/RS cars as Birkin bags to manufacture drool and to twist enough panties of people with egos (masochists, mostly) in a bunch. It must have estimated that it can make more money from its brand this way. Just the way I see it.
Old 06-28-2016 | 09:14 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

I'm drawn to reading this thread every couple of days and don't really know why. I've come to think of it as the TMZ of the car world.

So, after reading 15 pages of posts, I have a question for those that feel passionately about this subject:

For purposes of my question, let's assume the average MSRP of a new RS at $200,000 and the average asking price of that same car, either as an allocation from a dealer or with delivery(ish) miles in the public marketplace is $250,000, or $50,000 over MSRP. The consensus opinion here is "I won't pay over MSRP".

Consider for a moment how Porsche, or any other company selling a product to the public, establishes their prices - it is cost, plus their targeted profit margin, adjusted downward due to certain competitive pressures or upward based upon what the market will bear (generally scarcity and exclusivity). The question then is this:

What if Porsche had priced the RS so that the average MSRP was $250,000 and not $200,000? Would you have gladly paid the same $250,000 that today will buy you your choice of cars?

I think you would have. I think that the consensus opinion of not paying over MSRP is as arbitrary a position as the pricing Porsche has set. Nobody here is debating the actual value of the car itself, just market pricing in relation to MSRP. Nobody here is saying it's worth $150,000; $200,000; $300,000; just that it's worth MSRP.

In conclusion, and to answer my own slightly rhetorical question, I think if the MSRP was $250,000 and cars were available, you would all gladly have one. But you're psyched out by the market.

***Disclaimer: I don't own a RS and I don't want to, so I have no vested interest in where this all lands.
Old 06-28-2016 | 09:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

^ nope. Not interested in a msrp $250k RS. That puts it into a price territory not reasonable for me to track the car. This is why the RS is now rarely seen on the track. They are now shamelessly relegated to garage and C&C duty. It's a travesty because the car was made for the track but has instead become the object of hand wringing speculator's fantasies.
Old 06-28-2016 | 09:24 PM
STG
Race Director

The RS is priced even a bit high at current MSRP IMO.

Should be a $170-$180K car.

All 911's are overpriced by like 10-15%
Old 06-28-2016 | 09:27 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by STG
The RS is priced even a bit high at current MSRP IMO.

Should be a $170-$180K car.
It is. The car is 176k starting msrp and really doesn't need any options.
Old 06-28-2016 | 09:28 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by orthojoe
It is. The car is 176k starting msrp and really doesn't need any options.
Gotcha. Correct. Thanks
Old 06-28-2016 | 10:15 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
PCNA knows about this. In fact, in many ways, they are very pleased about it.

PCNA now uses RS allocations as a back-door way to provide "trunk money" -- which never shows up as a line-item on the balance sheet. Good for corporate profits. Good for dealers because they now get the trunk money they need to sell those 2016 Panameras.

PCNA cannot do anything to dealers that charge markups. At least not in the US. Against franchise laws. And good luck showing, much less proving, collusion amongst dealers.

Loyalty means nothing. For Porsche. Or you (and I'm using "you" figuratively). You buy Porsches because they make good cars. We all do. Porsche stops making good cars, you stop buying. As well as you should. That's not loyalty. That's being smart. Porsche knows this. Which is why loyalty is about as important to them as the last buyer that bought a car.

Spend your time more constructively.
Old 06-28-2016 | 11:51 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

No
They won't
Old 06-28-2016 | 11:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

+1
Maybe if you type it often enough it will happen...
Positive visualization etc.
Hang a poster with RS and MSRP price over your bed.

Quick Reply: 2016 GT3RS allocations the truth please read.