Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 06:13 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,340 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
The competition has simple outdone this car.Porsche knows the diehards will still buy it even at the $250-$300K entry fee.
Agree with both statements. Porsche won't upset their carefully controlled car hierarchy, the GT2RS will set a great ring time, and all cars will be sold promptly to Porsche diehards.

.........in the meantime, Mclaren 675LT/720S/"745LT" will provide a similar driving experience of TT engine, RWD, DCT, long wheelbase, aero, etc. for a similar cost, but beat the GT2RS in performance.

Last edited by Drifting; 06-04-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:41 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I can't do the whorehouse red interior again..

Curious about color options inside and out
I guess the Moulin Rouge package is going to be optional

Old 06-04-2017, 07:08 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree with both statements. Porsche won't upset their carefully controlled car hierarchy, the GT2RS will set a great ring time, and all cars will be sold promptly to Porsche diehards.

.........in the meantime, Mclaren 675LT/720S/"745LT" will provide a similar driving experience of TT engine, RWD, DCT, long wheelbase, aero, etc. for a similar cost, but beat the GT2RS in performance.
Well, you are comparing it to some spectacular cars. It's not like mclaren is anything short of extraordinary. It's not that Porsche got any less great but rather a new superb manufacturer came into the picture.

Also, 745LT will probably be $400K+ when all said and done. In fact, even 675LT is impossible to find under 400K in a good configuration. So it's not surprising that it's faster.

Porsche will figure out a way to make GT2 stand out. Performance-wise you can get 95% or more of what GT3 offers from something like 350R or some other cars that cost much less, and ACR wipes the floor with a GT3, and yet you keep buying GT3s. There is a reason for that, right?

I also sometimes feel like Porsche is conning its buyers still selling non-carbon fiber cars with rather old-tech suspensions compared even to GM, but when it gets to driving, somehow it still works better.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:12 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't do the whorehouse red interior again..

Curious about color options inside and out
ROFL , I went with the orange interior in my rs but will not do it again.The red would look even worse , looks like it was made by those tuner companies as a one of one when imagination went back to a childish dreams.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:24 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
Basing a flagship on a 911 is fundamentally limiting for a number of reasons.
  • unibody instead of carbon tub
  • strut front suspension
  • rear engined instead of midengined, both from a dynamics and aero standpoint
  • looks (not as exotic)

Some of these can be fixed without designing a entirely new platform but I suppose this is all academic if Porsche will only make 1000 GT2 units.
Delete the frunk and give us the RSR front suspension!

The hair shirt, pur sang, no AC crowd would love the opportunity to brag to their neighbors / cars and coffee attendees about their $300k car that lacks a trunk.

Originally Posted by Petevb
I hope that's correct. With PCCB standard and no regen from hybrid I'm wondering if ~700 HP won't consistently push the carbon brakes over their temperature threshold.

If track-worthyness is Porsche's Alamo they really need to reconsider the ridiculous replacement PCCB disk prices. In the big picture they are trading what- ~50 replacement sets (GT2s and GT3s with PCCBs that actually track their cars consistently and hard enough to torch disks) times an extra 15k per set profit... Less than $1 million in trade for much of what serious enthusiasts still consider the core of Porsche's reputation.

Please: pull it from the marketing budget. Try to turn everything into a profit center and marketing will soon find it's a drop in the bucket.
Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Pretty sure there's going to be a next gen braking system on the 2RS.
One of the journalist ride-alongs (Total 911 IIRC) mentioned the NACA ducts supplying additional brake cooling.

Last edited by Guest89; 06-04-2017 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-04-2017, 08:17 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Can't wait to see what other little secrets get revealed like the sprayed intercoolers, that definitely comes as a surprise!
This is a very cutting edge development, previously only seen in $30k Subarus and Mitsubishis from 15 years ago

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=297783
Old 06-04-2017, 09:15 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,340 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It's not that Porsche got any less great but rather a new superb manufacturer came into the picture.

This a great way of putting it. I'm not trying to specifically disparage the 991 GT2RS, because it will be a great car, it's just not a unique car this time around, and people are reacting like it is.

Also, 745LT will probably be $400K+ when all said and done. In fact, even 675LT is impossible to find under 400K in a good configuration. So it's not surprising that it's faster.

Valid point on the LT prices. 488 and 720S are likely a more fair comparison to the 991 GT2RS as those two do cost the same.
However, I also think the 675LT values will drop to 300 or below once the 745LT comes out.

Porsche will figure out a way to make GT2 stand out. Performance-wise you can get 95% or more of what GT3 offers from something like 350R or some other cars that cost much less, and ACR wipes the floor with a GT3, and yet you keep buying GT3s. There is a reason for that, right?

Not so sure about this as I was comparing exotic cars at similar price points with similar power, engines, and drivetrains.
Whole different discussion as to why we buy exotics when you get the most power for $ by buying domestic muscle.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:15 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Bugatti Chiron maybe (1,500 hp and 1,200 ft-lbs) - more than double GT2RS...
Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Beat me to it...

PDK is NOT TORQUE LIMITED. 918 has 900+ ft lbs!!!
Not arguing with either of you but a question: Porsche always kept the Cayenne line with torque converter citing the PDK can not handle extra stress of towing. Is that different than just plain acceleration?

Mclaren and Ferrari (and Lamborghini...), have cars that are quicker round a track than a GT3RS, but none of them (inc the LT) can take the consistent hammering that a GT car can take, nor can they be run at a similar cost.

If you add 200bho and various performance enhancements, I think the GT2RS will be a hell of a car, and materially better than what the competition have right now, on a track. If you're on a road, they all have more performance than you need, and way more perormance than 99% of owners can exploit.
Is it worth the cash - unsure, depends on the final spec, but it's where my money will very likely go.
Very true. And the cost of maintaining/track modifying McLaren is utterly ridiculous.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

There are several versions of PDK boxes (and the SUV 's use a different one than the sports cars). But there are multiple versions of sports car pdk with different torque ratings.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

I like the blacked out steering wheel, hopefully an all black interior will be possible.
I didn't see the **** dial for selecting sport, sport +, and whatever the additional settings are called for the PDK+. The current 2 settings of Caddy lazy slushbox setting and the batsh!t crazy track settings are not enough....
Old 06-04-2017, 11:15 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mclaren and Ferrari (and Lamborghini...), have cars that are quicker round a track than a GT3RS, but none of them (inc the LT) can take the consistent hammering that a GT car can take, nor can they be run at a similar cost.

If you add 200bho and various performance enhancements, I think the GT2RS will be a hell of a car, and materially better than what the competition have right now, on a track.
Thing is though, the other cars are designed primarily as road cars with the capability to go bloody quick on track for a couple of laps (which they are) mainly for bragging rights and should probably be judged as such, ie road cars which they are I think very good at with a greater breadth of capability than any of the GT cars, even the 991 cars which are much better on the road than previous. The challenge cars and sprints are the Ferrari/Mclaren versions of cars that are designed to be flogged on track all the time not the road cars.

I agree of course that the the GT cars can be run harder on track and at much more sensible running costs but whether that's necessarily true of this car is not immediately obvious. A lot of the running costs are at least partially due to the much higher top speeds and power. Ultimately a 700hp car weighing 1500+kg is going to rack up a huge amount of consumables on track whether Porsche, Mclaren or Ferrari imo. And for all of Mclaren's faults their cars will run 40 miles on track without having to stop for a refill of some cooling tank !

Don't get me wrong, I think the gt2rs will be a very impressive performing machine and almost certainly the quickest thing around now. Porsche have certainly have had long enough to engineer it to win the lap time war but so far from what has been announced, yet another massively computer dependent lap time monster mainly designed to flog out some quick laps (see cooling tank refill) leaves me a bit cold I have to admit.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Right.

Only Porsche's can be beat on day after day, in the heat, all day long.
I mean, 4 days on tires, 8-10 day on front pads, 16-20 days on front rotors and the rear pads and rotors last forever..

About 56-58 track days now, 19K miles. And not even a hickup?!
I can only whine about low fuel limp mode, a finicky oil level and TPMS bot allowing to set below 26PSI..

Filling up a water tank a la M4 GTS meh, but OK.
As long as it goes and goes, there is no substitute.

All other stuff I rarely see on track simply won't function right, or not for long, or at insane running costs...I'd love to have an alternative but it doesn't exist.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:30 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Agree a 100% which I switches from bmw to porsche
Old 06-05-2017, 12:23 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,376 Likes on 637 Posts

Right.

Only Porsche's can be beat on day after day, in the heat, all day long.
I mean, 4 days on tires, 8-10 day on front pads, 16-20 days on front rotors and the rear pads and rotors last forever..

About 56-58 track days now, 19K miles. And not even a hickup?!
I can only whine about low fuel limp mode, a finicky oil level and TPMS bot allowing to set below 26PSI..

Filling up a water tank a la M4 GTS meh, but OK.
As long as it goes and goes, there is no substitute.

All other stuff I rarely see on track simply won't function right, or not for long, or at insane running costs...I'd love to have an alternative but it doesn't exist.
At that kind of time spent on track I run a race car...eventually you will have a completely shot ___________ and it will need to be replaced for ___,______.

I personally think that while porsche is lauded for reliability on track we are also talking about catastrophic pdk failures, camshaft blowouts, etc on the GT3. Cup cars blow engines. When you flog cars hard they all break eventually.

Granted it sounds like you have been through 4 sets of pads and 14 sets of tires and 2 sets of rotors...how much life do you have left in your axles, hubs, center lock nut, shocks, etc??
Old 06-05-2017, 02:03 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Assuming 700 hp (sounds about right)... that's around a 120 hp per ton improvement in power to weight ratio over the 991.2 GT3. Some extrapolations I'd done previously suggest around a ~21 second reduction in 'ring time for that type of improvement assuming same generation tires, etc (though it gets very fuzzy at the bottom edge depending how grip limited you are).

Extrapolating from the 7:12 that suggests 700 hp and great rubber should get you to 6:51 or thereabouts. The Huracan Peformante's time is 6:52.01...

This should be interesting. Any bets?
I bet 700hp

PCCB and water sprayed inter coolers meh.

1530KG sounds good to me!
https://www.total911.com/total-911-i...3-on-sale-now/
Originally Posted by JonA85
Shmee150 is saying 700hp, 1000 units, October release.

Its not 700hp

its not sold out

its not debut in october

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS