Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:27 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Agree - it's hard to see what else they would add to make it look more extreme!

After the manual GT3 I've stopped putting any credence on rumours, informed or otherwise. However...there has been chat of a "Weissach Pack" which helps drive the price up to the numbers mentioned. (I was told "The price with Weissach pack will be c£260k" UK)

So, I wonder if there will be a "base" version and also a Weissach one which has all the expensive add-ons like magnesium wheels, extra aero (eg canards shown on link), carbon interior,,maybe carbon bonnet etc. That would be same concept as 918 Weissach, and would in effect be the GT2 (base) and GT2RS (W pack) being launched at the same time.
£260k seems insanely overpriced. How much do magnesium wheels and a cf roof/bonnet cost..

If these big MSRPs are correct the car must have:
A) Some amazing new tech (electric turbos, Hybrid, etc)
B) Limited Production and Porsche are pocketing some of the extra cream
C) Lost their mind or know there are some Porsche lovers that pay any price (buyers that lost their mind).

With the steep competition out there, how can they justify £260k for a flagship 911 with approx 650hp? Other cars out now, like the 720s, have crazy power and tech the GT2 likely won't have.

I am so excited for the GT2 but something isn't adding up. Is my logic flawed?

At £260k I won't buy it, unless it is truly something special and destroys the competition at this price bracket.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:10 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
£260k seems insanely overpriced. How much do magnesium wheels and a cf roof/bonnet cost..

If these big MSRPs are correct the car must have:
A) Some amazing new tech (electric turbos, Hybrid, etc)
B) Limited Production and Porsche are pocketing some of the extra cream
C) Lost their mind or know there are some Porsche lovers that pay any price (buyers that lost their mind).

With the steep competition out there, how can they justify £260k for a flagship 911 with approx 650hp? Other cars out now, like the 720s, have crazy power and tech the GT2 likely won't have.

I am so excited for the GT2 but something isn't adding up. Is my logic flawed?

At £260k I won't buy it, unless it is truly something special and destroys the competition at this price bracket.
I agree with you, we just have to wait and see. Looks like they are still testing. Hopefully we soon can see an almost finished product.

Maybe our expectations are to high? Its a mid model car. The 991 is what? 4-5 years old. The competition has brand new CF chassis. Hopefully they can pull something out of the hat.

Turbo, CF wheels, magnesium roof and bonnet is not going to add $100k to the price tag. Does anyone actually want CF wheels? I would be scared to death to track those. And for street use they only impress at C&C.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:15 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Liter
Anyone getting a sense if this ends up being a car only 918 owners can buy ?
If it is, Porsche might lose me for good.

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Does anyone actually want CF wheels? I would be scared to death to track those. And for street use they only impress at C&C.
Ick no. I don't even like the way they look. I passed on CF wheels for my BMW M4 GTS, as well.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:25 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ I don't think anyone's taking about carbon wheels, but maybe Magnesium, like WP 918.

I really don't know the details, but I know 3 other Uk likely buyers and one in Europe who have separately been given indication of price at £250-60k; €300kEURO. I believe Mooty has heard similar in $US.

There has been mention of a Weissach Pack, so I'm just speculating that could account for a chunk of the price tag. The 918 WP was around $85k, but the 918 Mg wheels are approx $10k per corner if you ever needed a new one! That price includes lighter titanium backed brake pads (£7k per set..), lighter bearings, carbon exterior add-ons and interior, visible carbon A-pillars, lightened glass, plus deleted AC, Stereo etc that were no-cost add backs).

Given the last RS had a carbon hood, (which personally I don't like...), then I could easily see stuff like that, along with wheels, pads etc in a 2RS WP that adds up to $40-50k.

Again...Not a prediction, just a speculation!

ETA: another consistent rumour is that it won't be as limited as the R, and that the price will help limit demand (and also keep some of the flipper profits in Porsche's pockets). If we think there is a GT3, a GT3RS coming in the next 12 months, at approx 50% of the price, then how much unsatiated demand is there for a $250-300k MRSP car..?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:13 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
If it is, Porsche might lose me for good.

Ick no. I don't even like the way they look. I passed on CF wheels for my BMW M4 GTS, as well.
I left Ferrari for good about 7 years ago. My dealer Ferrari of beverly hills told me i needed to buy an ff to get a 458 speciale.

The sad part is they don't really give a **** and i would have liked a speciale.

Porsche is headed down the same road...I want a 911R but I would probably get a 675LT instead. I want an R but the 500k entry fee i steep and the value will go down when the 918 owners start selling.

I love my TTS as daily driver but next two cars will be mac 675lt and lambo huracan performante.

Also good news is I added 94 3.6 turbo...

Porsche and Ferrari don't care about the enthusiast so I am done for awhile.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:32 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
^^ I don't think anyone's taking about carbon wheels, but maybe Magnesium, like WP 918.

I really don't know the details, but I know 3 other Uk likely buyers and one in Europe who have separately been given indication of price at £250-60k; €300kEURO. I believe Mooty has heard similar in $US.

There has been mention of a Weissach Pack, so I'm just speculating that could account for a chunk of the price tag. The 918 WP was around $85k, but the 918 Mg wheels are approx $10k per corner if you ever needed a new one! That price includes lighter titanium backed brake pads (£7k per set..), lighter bearings, carbon exterior add-ons and interior, visible carbon A-pillars, lightened glass, plus deleted AC, Stereo etc that were no-cost add backs).

Given the last RS had a carbon hood, (which personally I don't like...), then I could easily see stuff like that, along with wheels, pads etc in a 2RS WP that adds up to $40-50k.

Again...Not a prediction, just a speculation!

ETA: another consistent rumour is that it won't be as limited as the R, and that the price will help limit demand (and also keep some of the flipper profits in Porsche's pockets). If we think there is a GT3, a GT3RS coming in the next 12 months, at approx 50% of the price, then how much unsatiated demand is there for a $250-300k MRSP car..?
Did the WP pack for the 918 add to the resale value of the car and will it likely be the same for the GT2? I would only consider this if I recovered it on exit, otherwise no way.
Here is a vid on the 918 WP (Not worth £60k to me):

Why not push up the price of the new GT3 then? There is huge demand for it and Porsche would still likely sell them all.

I still feel that unless the car has some amazing tech or is limited to a reasonably small number, the base price shouldn't exceed £175k (£30k more than the Turbo S). Above that and the 720s or Performante start to look like much better options.

I cant see Porsche justifying a price that is double a GT3 RS. What was the price difference between a 997 GT2 RS and a Turbo S/GT3 RS?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:51 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^ this is a theoretical discussion as I don't even know if the WPack is even a real option on 2RS..., but on 918, the price delta means you would probably recover 4-5x the extra cost of a WP car on resale.
Like so much of the current market, that probably doesn't make a lot of sense,but that's what it is.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:35 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

yes 918 weissach cars bring more money...probably 150k
Old 04-12-2017, 12:43 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
I left Ferrari for good about 7 years ago. My dealer Ferrari of beverly hills told me i needed to buy an ff to get a 458 speciale.

The sad part is they don't really give a **** and i would have liked a speciale.

Porsche is headed down the same road...I want a 911R but I would probably get a 675LT instead. I want an R but the 500k entry fee i steep and the value will go down when the 918 owners start selling.

I love my TTS as daily driver but next two cars will be mac 675lt and lambo huracan performante.

Also good news is I added 94 3.6 turbo...

Porsche and Ferrari don't care about the enthusiast so I am done for awhile.
Putting feelings and emotions aside, my advice is still get the Speciale and the R (after the price comes down). The 458 Speciale is a truly special car, the last NA V8 from Ferrari. At the current market price, it's only 20-30k above MSRP for a low mileage example. The R, which it is currently way overpriced, will come down but it will never be anywhere close to sticker. The "correct" market price on the R should be 150K over sticker on a nice example, 200K over sticker for a TRUE PTS example.

If you buy a 675LT, you will lose your shirt. If you buy a Huracan Performante, you will lose your pants. As much as people resent Porsche and Ferrari dealer tactics, these two brands are still the way to go when it comes to value. Again, I don't have a crystal ball here, but this is just my opinion.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:13 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

I will be buying a Speciale if the GT2 doesn't live up
to my expectations on price vs spec.

At release what was the difference between a 997 Gt3 RS and the 997 Gt2 RS?
Old 04-12-2017, 01:23 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
I will be buying a Speciale if the GT2 doesn't live up
to my expectations on price vs spec.

At release what was the difference between a 997 Gt3 RS and the 997 Gt2 RS?
About 85k
Old 04-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Putting feelings and emotions aside, my advice is still get the Speciale and the R (after the price comes down). The 458 Speciale is a truly special car, the last NA V8 from Ferrari. At the current market price, it's only 20-30k above MSRP for a low mileage example. The R, which it is currently way overpriced, will come down but it will never be anywhere close to sticker. The "correct" market price on the R should be 150K over sticker on a nice example, 200K over sticker for a TRUE PTS example.

If you buy a 675LT, you will lose your shirt. If you buy a Huracan Performante, you will lose your pants. As much as people resent Porsche and Ferrari dealer tactics, these two brands are still the way to go when it comes to value. Again, I don't have a crystal ball here, but this is just my opinion.
I don't disagree on a relative basis, but I firmly believe Porsches - of the modern day variety - are no exception to the rule.

The preconditioned supply/demand environment which Porsche works hard to produce isn't a market in equilibrium. Invariably, Porsche, nor any manufacturer, is able to create scarcity value in perpetuity (which of course Porsche attempts initially to promote through supply restriction, buyer selection, etc.). With time, a generally open market develops and underlying asset prices reflect unmanipulated supply and demand. Written differently, over the short to medium term prices tend to go down 😔

This, of course, is simply my restating the obvious: Porsche prices behave as do those of all commodity assets. Others may disagree with the notion that a Porsche, even in limited production, is a commodity, but let's face it, the only real scarcity value here is that of the artificial (i.e., supplier generated) variety. How any of this translates to personal behavior is of course an individual assessment. For me, it's a simple reminder to focus my automobile interest (and committed capital) based on a simple formula: 10% "investment" / 90% enjoyment...it's much easier to avoid an investment whiff when I can convince myself and, importantly, my wife "I got my money's worth" 😀😀😀
Old 04-12-2017, 01:59 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by 5980
I don't disagree on a relative basis, but I firmly believe Porsches - of the modern day variety - are no exception to the rule.

The preconditioned supply/demand environment which Porsche works hard to produce isn't a market in equilibrium. Invariably, Porsche, nor any manufacturer, is able to create scarcity value in perpetuity (which of course Porsche attempts initially to promote through supply restriction, buyer selection, etc.). With time, a generally open market develops and underlying asset prices reflect unmanipulated supply and demand. Written differently, over the short to medium term prices tend to go down ��

This, of course, is simply my restating the obvious: Porsche prices behave as do those of all commodity assets. Others may disagree with the notion that a Porsche, even in limited production, is a commodity, but let's face it, the only real scarcity value here is that of the artificial (i.e., supplier generated) variety. How any of this translates to personal behavior is of course an individual assessment. For me, it's a simple reminder to focus my automobile interest (and committed capital) based on a simple formula: 10% "investment" / 90% enjoyment...it's much easier to avoid an investment whiff when I can convince myself and, importantly, my wife "I got my money's worth" ������
You are absolutely correct in the sense that it's all about supply and demand. Porsche's attempt to limit the supply (eg. 911R) is a clear example of market manipulation and create the "hype". For sure, when the economy is well, everything rises in value, but when the economy goes to the crapper, prices eventually fall. But prices will fall in varying degrees, depending on the market segments you are in.

You need to factor in the difference in price segment and the type of buyers that plays in these different types of markets. For example, the 918 is currently trading at around double it's original MSRP. On a low mileage, PTS Weissach, it's trading at around $1.8 million. Now, that is very close to the original MSRP of a LaFerrari. LaFerrari are now worth anywhere from $4-4.2 million. Do you think people who buy 918/P1 are the same type of buyers who purchase $4-15 million dollar Ferraris? Of course not.

Collectively, people who purchase million dollar plus cars are not in the same financial situation as those who purchase 200K cars, especially those who financed their 200K purchase. So when the economy hits the fan, who do you think will feel need the dump their cars and raise the cash? As such, which segment do you think will fall more when the market isn't doing well? The market for a Mclaren F1 is definitely a lot more stable than the P1 market.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:01 PM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 04-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 700 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
What about an Aventador SV? It's a car I originally passed on but continue to think about one. Just not sure that now is the right time considering the relatively high asking prices.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS