Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 01:11 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Coincident
So what is the point of the GT cars? Non 918 owners can never get one so they may as well not exist for us lowly multiple P car owners.

Porsche have GT3s, GT3RSs GT2RSs that are not number limited, that just about everyone can buy, especially when someone has a good relationship with the selling dealer.

Th 911R was just a special case because it was a number limited model. The same would apply to any other number limited models from any manufacturers, either the manufacturer or the dealers themselves would pick and choose which customer gets to buy one. That's the whole point of a number limited car, not everyone get get it.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:58 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GT3 RS was not available for anyone to purchase and the GT2RS seems to be a similar story.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:10 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Porsche have GT3s, GT3RSs GT2RSs that are not number limited, that just about everyone can buy, especially when someone has a good relationship with the selling dealer.

Th 911R was just a special case because it was a number limited model. The same would apply to any other number limited models from any manufacturers, either the manufacturer or the dealers themselves would pick and choose which customer gets to buy one. That's the whole point of a number limited car, not everyone get get it.
The R has created an amazing amount of Rennlist hostility. But out in the real world, I don't see the same phenomenon. Everyone I know without a 918, me included, didn't expect an R even though we really wanted one. And we are all buying regular Porsches multiple times per year like we always have to earn our GT treats.

Gone are the days of being solely a GT buyer. That buyer adds zero value to the dealership. Perhaps even a negative if they get a GT instead of a guy that's bought 6 regular models that year.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:13 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,436 Likes on 618 Posts

On display at the WEC race at the Nurburgring GP circuit. Had a great time at the race!
Attached Images     

Last edited by needmoregarage; 06-28-2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:15 PM
CHADW
Racer

GT3 RS was not available for anyone to purchase and the GT2RS seems to be a similar story.
Not everyone got an RS but at the same time I've seen a lot of first time Porsche buyers get one so I think they made about the right number.

I think there are tiers based on relationship and specialness.

GT3 for everyone minus one
GT3RS for good customers
GT2RS for great customers
Limited editions like the R for very special or contractually obligated customers
Old 07-29-2017, 03:19 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Hard to believe that first statement.

Pfaff is the largest volume Porsche dealer in Canada, they cannot possibility have no GT3RS for sale. They got more cars than my dealer, Porsche Vancouver, which is #2 in volume behind Pfaff. And Porsche Vancouver got 40+ GT3RS.

Granted, the wait list was almost 200 deep all with deposits, and I see the Sales Manager trying to shuffle the wait list almost every day. People who are long term customers gets moved up, people trading in GT cars get moved up, the owner's friends gets moved up, etc.

But the point is that the GT3RS could be had, it's just that the dealer have different priority system than what you want.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:27 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Initially, I thought the GT3 Touring model was supposedly a second chance for Porsche to redress the shortage of 911Rs among non-VIPs who wanted one. Now, I'm not at all convinced the Touring models will be available in the #s to come anywhere near satisfying demand for them.

I think another poster is really overstating things using the word "hostility" toward those who ante'd up for the 918. This was a $850k vehicle that wasn't an easy sell among the Porsche faithful. Incentivizing the purchase with VIP status is looking generous now, but at the time, Porsche really wanted to sell all 918 of them.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:55 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CHADW
The R has created an amazing amount of Rennlist hostility. But out in the real world, I don't see the same phenomenon. Everyone I know without a 918, me included, didn't expect an R even though we really wanted one. And we are all buying regular Porsches multiple times per year like we always have to earn our GT treats.

Gone are the days of being solely a GT buyer. That buyer adds zero value to the dealership. Perhaps even a negative if they get a GT instead of a guy that's bought 6 regular models that year.
Is that hyperbole, or do you routinely buy multiple Porsches every year? How does that even work? You dump your Cayenne and Panamera each year too after a single year of ownership? Some of this just strikes me as absurd.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:04 PM
CHADW
Racer

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Is that hyperbole, or do you routinely buy multiple Porsches every year? How does that even work? You dump your Cayenne and Panamera each year too after a single year of ownership? Some of this just strikes me as absurd.
I think you will find in most markets that there are at least a handful of customers, not just one or two, that buy 5-10 new Porsches a year for themselves, family, employees, etc. Now that GTs are hot, dealers have to give them the treats.

This is a massive shift in the GT customer base created by the cars' values and the fact they are bigger, softer and automatic now.

It is only going to get harder for the average guy as not only the big boys but also everyone with a home equity line of credit is going to be buying the next super car because it's "going to go up in value." And that's why it won't, but that's another thread entirely.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:15 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I think you will find in most markets that there are at least a handful of customers, not just one or two, that buy 5-10 new Porsches a year for themselves, family, employees, etc. Now that GTs are hot, dealers have to give them the treats.

This is a massive shift in the GT customer base created by the cars' values and the fact they are bigger, softer and automatic now.
I'd rather pay $25k ADM and be done with it. I cannot even conceive of the idea of buying 5-10 cars a year of any single marque. Giving you the "privilege" of buying a GT car is the least your dealer ought to be doing for you!
Old 07-29-2017, 04:21 PM
CHADW
Racer

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
I'd rather pay $25k ADM and be done with it. I cannot even conceive of the idea of buying 5-10 cars a year of any single marque. Giving you the "privilege" of buying a GT car is the least your dealer ought to be doing for you!
I don't disagree. Its far cheaper to pay ADMs than be the top dog at a dealership no doubt.

My my point is primarily to inform that these guys are out there and they want the track guys cars, so they get them.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:42 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Pretty sure this is the real world - RL may have more people just chiming in but not all of us want to beg let alone buy every model a brand offers.

Cancelled my GT3 slot - was #20 on the list only new Porsche I have attempted to buy in 15 years. Purchased Range Rovers and other cars from the same dealer they value me as a customer not as a Porsche GT customer most dealers have multiple brands so to say people who buy other brands are of no value is interesting.

Go to a RR Bentley Lamborghini McLaren etc these guys will drool for ones business - why because good customers are hard to find and to think the Porsche dealer hasn't seen and will not see hard times is silly. Everyone wants to be treated well when they walk in a door of a dealership belittling that customer is a bad idea especially at 150+ level.

The GT3 R RS 2RS is becoming humorous - these are mass produced there were more R's than 918's and with the GT3 manual Porsche is finding easy ways to make big bucks - in the end guess who gets caught holding an outdated faster than normal depreciating car. It's going to get ugly not if but when and people who work for a living don't forget.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:53 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't disagree. Its far cheaper to pay ADMs than be the top dog at a dealership no doubt.

My my point is primarily to inform that these guys are out there and they want the track guys cars, so they get them.
if you are willing to pay ADM, the you continue the problem
Old 07-29-2017, 06:09 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Pretty sure this is the real world - RL may have more people just chiming in but not all of us want to beg let alone buy every model a brand offers.

Cancelled my GT3 slot - was #20 on the list only new Porsche I have attempted to buy in 15 years. Purchased Range Rovers and other cars from the same dealer they value me as a customer not as a Porsche GT customer most dealers have multiple brands so to say people who buy other brands are of no value is interesting.

Go to a RR Bentley Lamborghini McLaren etc these guys will drool for ones business - why because good customers are hard to find and to think the Porsche dealer hasn't seen and will not see hard times is silly. Everyone wants to be treated well when they walk in a door of a dealership belittling that customer is a bad idea especially at 150+ level.

The GT3 R RS 2RS is becoming humorous - these are mass produced there were more R's than 918's and with the GT3 manual Porsche is finding easy ways to make big bucks - in the end guess who gets caught holding an outdated faster than normal depreciating car. It's going to get ugly not if but when and people who work for a living don't forget.
Amen.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:18 PM
CHADW
Racer

Originally Posted by nuvolari612

I'm not sure how people are treated in Porsche dealerships but I'm guessing very well, there just aren't as many cars as there are potential buyers.

The opposite is true for RR, Bentley, Lambo and McLaren. They all need more buyers and have cars sitting around ready to be discounted.

Having more demand than supply isn't customer mistreatment. It's also a viscous cycle because telling rich guys they have to wait or can't have one really makes them want one.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS