Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW M4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 06:57 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

I have seen this car in person at the Ny Auto Show. It looks more horrible than in the pics,which usually doesn't happen. It is the most afterthought,glued up,ricer wing/fascia that ever came out of the BMW factory. I'd be ashamed if I were a designer at BMW and came out with this abomination...
Old 04-14-2016, 07:11 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

it's what the kiddies like these days. I actually like it. They could have done a bit better with the wing, I agree. It's pretty opposite of the Porsche style guide.

Reviews are looking really good.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I have seen this car in person at the Ny Auto Show. It looks more horrible than in the pics,which usually doesn't happen. It is the most afterthought,glued up,ricer wing/fascia that ever came out of the BMW factory. I'd be ashamed if I were a designer at BMW and came out with this abomination...
Doesn't surprise me one bit that it looks just as bad in person. Choppy, slap on designs like this aren't the type that look more beautiful in the flesh.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:43 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Bingo. Wing is lame. Doesn't fit the design of the car at all. They should have drawn inspiration from GT3 and RS on how to stylize a functional wing. Heck, the wing on the Viper looks better.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:36 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,294 Likes on 2,447 Posts

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...-drive-review/

"Here’s the good news: This is the best BMW I’ve ever driven. Quick ways to describe the M4 GTS: playful, progressive, predictable, confidence-inspiring, balanced, tight, and most important, fun. I can’t stress that last descriptor enough: fun. Remember when cars were fun? Someone at M does, too. As the numbers all attest, the GTS is capable, as well. On one lap I snuck a peek at the speedometer at the end of the front straight and saw 155 mph. Yes, I stomped hard on the big carbon-ceramic brakes and shed enough speed to make the corner. Many cars could have done what I accomplished in the GTS, but I’m hard-pressed to think of many that would have left as big a smile on my face. Why so big? Because of the way the M4 GTS yawed its way through the corner. Not just that corner, but all the corners. The GTS offered up the perfect mix of slip angle and traction; I always felt in control even though the car didn’t feel rigidly bolted down the way the regular, not so fun M4 does. Also of note, unlike the regular M4, the power curve isn’t flat, and it doesn’t plateau. Instead, it actually peaks, which just feels so much better. Oh, and it sounds five times better. Maybe 10. Bottom line, the new GTS is an incredibly impressive machine. It’s sweet. I’m calling it sweet. I really dig it man, big time."
Old 04-15-2016, 02:09 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Often when I am down on Nur I see alot of racecars In VLN. Many of them is fast and well behavied on the track but they are in my eyes not the most god looking. Most I dont got that strong opinion on looks anyway on cars, its other things thats matters to me. I kind of see this car like that. It look like most fast cars down there, kind of vulgare and porpouse built. Many of my friend would never sit in a car with a 1 m high wing like gt3 Rs, but I would as I in to racing and It porposed build.

Overall I dont mind that people have different opinions on looks. This is very stong in art and cars it seems. Hoppfylly not when meeting other people. Anyway aslo me have a big liking on cars, but not at al is my opinion like strong in looks departement. But then again when It get to my house. Well here I very strong on looks and what I want. In cars its more like, is it more go than show I like. Like if Gts m4 lap Nur in 9min looking like that, well I dont like. But I am more in to, ok thats fast, I like as this BMW is very, very fast for a BMW.

In girls, well thats an whole other thing, damn..then I am picky to have the most butifull, aslo a god spirt and mind. And the the next Guy thinks she uggly:-)

This BMW kind of look like most fast BMW down at Nur. I kind of like it, for the reson it will outlap most other god looking cars then:-)
Old 04-15-2016, 02:52 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I do like our new 550i with the M package, as the twin turbo v8 is a rocket. It is sporty, luxurious, and loaded with cool tech.

But this winged thing is an abomination.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:54 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 194 Posts

thx Manifold for the link!

looks:
interior is looking superb! no doubt. and that what you should see most time of your car
exterior is looking in black for sure better than in frozen grey (my opinion). the rims - changable. the wing and front lip - true. both a bit to small and narrow...

as i wrote already: i always love to drive BMW chassis - they are so playable in case you want big fun.
on GT4´s, 911,... this is different. sharper and more serious.

price: if you do the math it is "just" around 30k for exclusivity and to get a modded car with full warranty.

lets try a calc:
97k€ costs a normal M4 with all the options the GTS has stock.
+ 4k€ to go up to 500hp (incl. engine warranty)
+ 4k€ for the titan exhaust
+ 4k€ for the suspension (KW 3ways)
+ 1k€ for the front carbon splitter
+ 1k€ for the rear carbon spoiler
+ 1k€ for the carbon diffusor
+ 2k€ for the carbon hood
+ 2k€ for the OLED rear lights
+ 3k€ for the recaros
+ 1k€ for the cage/roll bar
+ 0,5k€ for the belts
+ 2k for the interiour upgrade
what did i forgot?

this sums up to: round about 25k€ in mods + 97k€ base M4 price = 122k€
the M4 GTS is priced in GER: 144k€

22k€ difference.
but ok... on the M4 you get discount - which you don´t get on the GTS - the parts you get maybe with lot of searching a bit cheaper - so 30k€ i see as the premium for a special/fine tuned but still "bone stock" car with warranty.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:01 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

some tech details - unfortunatly in GER and low res:

Old 04-15-2016, 03:20 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

below a link for an english high res marketing booklet looking like this:

10MB pdf - download via: http://filehorst.de/downloadNow.php?...2015-2-GTS.pdf
Old 04-15-2016, 04:03 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Great find joker. Thing is this suspension KW 3 way is the first thing my friend at manthey racing (Porsche own 51% of manthey racing) wanted to put on my GT4 to get some speed in to my car:-).

Them all ride on KW 3 ways racesuspension due to a reason. Its way bettet than what you find in my stock GT4.

My opinion is people in general dont understand how great it is that BMW gone this far suspension wise in a street car.

Will I have understeer problems in my M4 GTS like in my GT4, hell no due to its delivery on race suspension and the stock factory setting is from the Nur record lap, yes that would be the street set up as Nur is nothing but a normal street/road you happen to have free speed.
In my book this car is in many ways an 991 RS. Sure the RS superior in power delivery, weight and downforce. But still Gts do same speed tru many scary blind fast corners on Nur. Its same speed more or less on long straight. 991 RS 287 km h vs M4 GTS 284, down scary left hander downhill foxhole each brands factory driver hit 260 km h, and Gts driver lift before compression at rock bottom foxhole. This is nothing but big up for the BMW. As one need to have a god car to go fast thru this part of track. Other thing to the BMW in favor vs gt3 Rs is scary fast lauda links(lauda did crash). One need to totalty commit and trust a cars downforce and grip to be 100%full on accelerator to go true this very, very fast blind lefthander.

Timo Kluck Porsche factory driver is full in Rs here at 215 km h, BMW Gts is full at 215. this thing repeat it selfe on several sections @nur. Sure on the overall lap Gts is slower by 7+ seconds vs 991 Rs. But I will dare to stick my nose out and say this-if you find and 991 Rs in the same kg as BMW m4 Gts there is nothing in it.(a few seconds the Rs will be faster due to seperior downforce) Most 991 Rs out on street is way more kg than factory lap car. The Gts BMW only got One car, them are all the same spec, like porky.

Porsche factory cars was lappning the lightest car they got, god on them. Nothing wrong in that. But it had litium batteri, ceramic, small gastank, no navi, no klima. Etc. This light car is not what I will meet on the car park @nur. Them Rs will be up on pork close to my luxury sat nav, pdc rice wing M4 GTS. 😂
Old 04-15-2016, 05:10 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

More reviews
Ahh, did not get link working but test are on evo, topgear, caranddriver, motortrend and all other sites..

Last edited by Nur93; 04-15-2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:00 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
it's what the kiddies like these days. I actually like it. They could have done a bit better with the wing, I agree. It's pretty opposite of the Porsche style guide.

Reviews are looking really good.
I agree. I passed because the M4 is too big and they put the wrong transmission in it... other than that, I love it. The wheels are my favorite. I also agree that the wing looks after market but I suppose I was expecting it given the wing on the last M3 GTS.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:07 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...-drive-review/

"Here’s the good news: This is the best BMW I’ve ever driven. Quick ways to describe the M4 GTS: playful, progressive, predictable, confidence-inspiring, balanced, tight, and most important, fun. I can’t stress that last descriptor enough: fun. Remember when cars were fun? Someone at M does, too. As the numbers all attest, the GTS is capable, as well. On one lap I snuck a peek at the speedometer at the end of the front straight and saw 155 mph. Yes, I stomped hard on the big carbon-ceramic brakes and shed enough speed to make the corner. Many cars could have done what I accomplished in the GTS, but I’m hard-pressed to think of many that would have left as big a smile on my face. Why so big? Because of the way the M4 GTS yawed its way through the corner. Not just that corner, but all the corners. The GTS offered up the perfect mix of slip angle and traction; I always felt in control even though the car didn’t feel rigidly bolted down the way the regular, not so fun M4 does. Also of note, unlike the regular M4, the power curve isn’t flat, and it doesn’t plateau. Instead, it actually peaks, which just feels so much better. Oh, and it sounds five times better. Maybe 10. Bottom line, the new GTS is an incredibly impressive machine. It’s sweet. I’m calling it sweet. I really dig it man, big time."
Sounds like they've addressed a number of my major gripes with the M3 that I owned and dumped ASAP. Now if they could fix the styling, put a proper manual in it (definitely not the one in the current M3), dump the stupid artificial sound engineering, shed about 500lbs, and offer it at a reasonable price I might be interested.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:27 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I 100 percent agree. Although I applaud the performance, I cannot buy an ugly car.

Quick Reply: BMW M4 GTS