Sponsored by:

BMW M4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 08:59 AM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH78
I feel that I made a mistake by putting this subject in the Porsche forum. There were many non porsche car was presented in this forum before but this is the most negative review that I have ever seen on these forum.
I think some of these reviews are over the top, is it rivalry with BMW ?
I own two M3's, E46 and E92. I moved away from newer m3 and own GT4, 2015 TT and cayenne. I am keeping my mind open and waiting for review to come out. BMW is a great car company, they proved that in the past and I believe they can do it again if they wish. This M4 GTS is two years in making with wonderful new technologies.
I think far more an indication of disappointment than jealousy. I own a pair of E46 M3s, one being my fair weather DD. I adore them...enough that I bought two! I have long felt a very close affinity to BMW's M Division, but it has more recently chosen a path that doesn't appeal to me, especially in terms of styling and dynamics. It seems to me that virtually every GT3 owner has owned or does own a BMW M-badged car. It also seems that most who discuss it seem less satisfied with the newer ones as sporting cars than they were with past iterations. Technology is marvelous, but you posted into a section dedicated to buyers of a Porsche model that has followed a path more akin to that of the older Ms - much like your own GT4 - and especially in regard to aspiration. Not all disagreements are based on jealousy or even competition. It seems the GTS strikes many of us as a further departure from what we think BMW M did and should stand for.

Last edited by Banango; 02-29-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:07 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 113 Likes on 57 Posts

I feel that I made a mistake by putting this subject in the Porsche forum. There were many non porsche car was presented in this forum before but this is the most negative review that I have ever seen on these forum. I think some of these reviews are over the top, is it rivalry with BMW ? I own two M3's, E46 and E92. I moved away from newer m3 and own GT4, 2015 TT and cayenne. I am keeping my mind open and waiting for review to come out. BMW is a great car company, they proved that in the past and I believe they can do it again if they wish. This M4 GTS is two years in making with wonderful new technologies.
I don't think it has to do with BMW against Porsche. A lot of us own or have owned great BMW cars.
This one is not one of their better ones. I'm a big time Porsche lover as you can see in my avatar but have just ordered a gt350 and is more tempted to buy a Viper than 991rs. I find a lot of Porsche owners to be open minded petrol heads and I personally hope BMWs M division gets their act together before its to late.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:26 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,768 Likes on 924 Posts

I feel that I made a mistake by putting this subject in the Porsche forum. There were many non porsche car was presented in this forum before but this is the most negative review that I have ever seen on these forum.
Nope. Owned numerous BMW's including F80; hang and kart race with BMWCCA guys. Haven't been able to find a performance BMW that works for me since my E60 Sports Pkg Manual. The M's are increasingly desensitized and the style has become gimmicky and busy IMO. Hoping the M2 will at least fix the former issue.

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I don't think it has to do with BMW against Porsche. A lot of us own or have owned great BMW cars.
This one is not one of their better ones. I'm a big time Porsche lover as you can see in my avatar but have just ordered a gt350 and is more tempted to buy a Viper than 991rs. I find a lot of Porsche owners to be open minded petrol heads and I personally hope BMWs M division gets their act together before its to late.
+100
Old 03-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Reason gts come now is to celebrate its 30 years the first m3 did show, 1986.

Well I was on that list of 911 R and will not get It, to bad.

Still I might get a gts. I kind of gave up hope on M cars after 2003. They came up short with everything after 2003. At the time of 2003 I had the one and only special bmw, the m3 csl. It was so god I had it For 5 years I think. Previus m3 gts was more show than go, it hardly was 2 seconds faster than the old 2003 csl on Nurburgring.

Until 2003 I track and own every M car more or less. Even old M5 3.8l with Nurburgring pack, that was also a very race engine and fun car.

Now, I could also say only a mother could Love the looks of this new gts, but anyway I dont care to much of looks. I like the damn car, and hope to get delivery soon.

7.28 min sport auto lap translate to ap. 7.08 btg time, I hope to see a LOT of porkers down at Nurburgring

My 2003 m3 csl was 1450kg full of fuel no driver. Its had klima. Pdc, stereo (15% of csl was no klima, stereo, pdc, them was lighter)
My gt4 is 1430kg incl. Clubsport =cage, no driver, steel brakes and full of fuel. (Large fuel tank)This was weigh on same scale.
New gt3 Rs clubsport is ap. 1465kg(no driver) I guess?
New gts should be just under/over 1500kg full of fuel no driver. Still cage and fire X will ad ap. 25-30kg as its free extra option. Anyway, not that bad. Hope my Driverskills make up For the gts extra pork then.

Last edited by Nur93; 03-05-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

These carbon rims will cut a total of 7kg, its extra option.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:36 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 98 Posts
Default BMW GTS/i8 etc

BMW makes great cars but it would seem the marketing and finance teams are driving the bus. They cannot make money on a production run of 700 cars worldwide. So you have to ask why does the GTS exist. The i8's were touted as a limited production car. Once the i3 bombed all i production went to the i8. Today there are 800 new i8's for sale in the US and production is 5000 per year. The market on these cars has crashed. Lots of folks are betting on appreciation on the GTS. What happenes when the GT3 runs even or wacks it. And everyone is right about the spoiler. I think I saw one at Autozone.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:58 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I own two M3's, E46 and E92. I moved away from newer m3 and own GT4, 2015 TT and cayenne. I am keeping my mind open and waiting for review to come out. BMW is a great car company, they proved that in the past and I believe they can do it again if they wish. This M4 GTS is two years in making with wonderful new technologies.
Just read the GT350, and Viper ACR threads. Most of us love those two cars. The issue here is the direction BMW M has taken in the last few years. I never thought that AMG, and M would essentially represent the same thing, but it has happened.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

1993 I drove the M3 E30 sport evolution on Nurburgring, same days Idrove the alpina E30 B6 3,5l. Alpina had no rear grip at all, and almost 260hp, light car. Fun but a big challange on Nurburgring. M3 E30 sport evo, well sure slightly down on power, very light and so easy and fun to drive fast. 1993 it was only bmw who had a place down there. Now all brands is there, even Hyundai. So sure bmw are far from alone these days to deliver driver cars. Way back they was very cool and keen on them light drivers cars.

Personally they lost it after e46 csl. But still, now this gts is all uggly and that, but sweet know how is in that car. Suspension wise, that 3 ways I would prefer vs Whats in my gt4. This gts could be fine tuned chassie wise to other levels than My gt4.
Bmw Made this car to show things, it must not generate big time of dollars.

Last edited by Nur93; 03-05-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 284 Posts

What little I know about BMW I have gained from owners/drivers. All M coupe owners I know had problems with spot welds cracking. All got the same answer from BMW. You are using your car in competition (autocross/DE days), warranty does not apply. They had to get a certified welder to repair them.
Not my words but the phrase "BMW is the Chevrolet of Europe", came from the mouths of those owners after that.
I have been impressed by many M cars in earlier generations.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:51 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Just read the GT350, and Viper ACR threads. Most of us love those two cars. The issue here is the direction BMW M has taken in the last few years. I never thought that AMG, and M would essentially represent the same thing, but it has happened.
Exactly - That's why a GT350 Track Pack sits next to my Porsche 911 - the current BMW M lineup wasn't even considered.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:20 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
What little I know about BMW I have gained from owners/drivers. All M coupe owners I know had problems with spot welds cracking. All got the same answer from BMW. You are using your car in competition (autocross/DE days), warranty does not apply. They had to get a certified welder to repair them.
Not my words but the phrase "BMW is the Chevrolet of Europe", came from the mouths of those owners after that.
I have been impressed by many M cars in earlier generations.
Compared the Porsches I've owned, BMWs are sewing machines. Pretty much every track event my GT3 would decide to spend 5K on my behalf. I think certain models may have specific point issues, like the M coupe issue you refer to, and the E36/E46 trunk/subframe issue. My E90M3 never had one issue after more than 10K track miles.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:11 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Mind you My friends brand new 991gt3 Rs took on to fire, the hole car was destroyed, on street driving just after delivery. Well Porsche gave him new One. Engine problems on another new Porsche, 997, gen 2 Rs. His first few lap on the Nurburgring.

**** Will happen to all car makers. And guess what, I had a Renault Megane RS CUP when they came out. Had it parked down at Nurburgring, pounding on laps. No issues what so ever. My CSL was also parked down there, 2 gearboxe was gone. Mind you I only lap fully ESP of, and only at that setting you could get the gear box to hardest/fastest setting in terms of puting in gears. All cars brake on Nurburgring, also many many Porsches! In terms of the subframe issu on m3 e 46, Well if them cars was driven on stock tires and stock suspension it would not crack. Anyway, maintanance is a major thing if on track.

What do you guys think happen if I start lappning Nurburgring With My GT4 on slicks? Well it Will brake pretty soon than if I drive it stock.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:59 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Some weight info on old vs new GTS

Old gts 1530kg

New gts 1510kg
Old 04-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Testing has been Done and now lets get this thing down to nur german sport auto will cover the Barca test in next nr. 15 of april, lets hope they get it to nur very soon.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Quick Reply: BMW M4 GTS