Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 12:31 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I wish Porsche would simply run a bunch of E and F engines at high rpms and high Gs to determine for themselves what happens, rather than wait for customers' cars to misfire. Or maybe they've already done so...

I wonder if this wait and see approach is the new post-dieselgate strategy, versus the more proactive (and perhaps costly from a cash and reputation stand point?) stop sale plan.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:49 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
How may miles? I'm at 2,500 track miles, 19,000 total on this E engine.
About 2300 track, 15,500 total. No lights or anything ever...
Old 04-02-2016, 01:51 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Thanks Mike. Yes I'm happy PAG just went with replacement rather than trying to get this engine along. We were a little surprised that only cylinder 3 had any wear, the misfires were in 1-3. The timing of everything is a little poor for me, as I have signed up and paid a pretty hefty registration fee for a 3 day event at COTA at the end of April.
I was planning to do the same event but decided not because of this thread.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:57 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^^Max is your car a 14 or 15 ?
Old 04-02-2016, 03:50 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,458 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
I wish Porsche would simply run a bunch of E and F engines at high rpms and high Gs to determine for themselves what happens, rather than wait for customers' cars to misfire. Or maybe they've already done so...

I wonder if this wait and see approach is the new post-dieselgate strategy, versus the more proactive (and perhaps costly from a cash and reputation stand point?) stop sale plan.
No need to. They know the problem. They are going to just replace as they go and hope that all those that do not track will not have issues. The problem with this is will they still replace after warranty expires. They know they have an issue and the guy that only street drives and in 6 years the engine goes they better step up. I wonder with all these documented issues if they will be forced to have to replace at their expense. I have not looked back after selling my 2014
Old 04-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 370 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by carz80am
yeah, sorry If I wasn't clear. They said no to cpo. They said the gt3 wasn't available for cpo. Waiting for a pcna supervisor/managers call
My 2014 GT3 was CPO'd by Park Place when I bought it used late last year...

Unless something changed they can CPO...
Old 04-02-2016, 04:01 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 370 Likes on 204 Posts

Was at my local dealership (Larson in Tacoma, WA) they said there is a new bulletin to replace the heads on 991 GT3's with misfires that cannot be cured with coils/sparks...

I'd be OK with this on a low mile car (mine has 2000 miles now) but anything higher the worn metal will cause ring wear, bearing wear crank journal wear etc...
Old 04-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Was at my local dealership (Larson in Tacoma, WA) they said there is a new bulletin to replace the heads on 991 GT3's with misfires that cannot be cured with coils/sparks... I'd be OK with this on a low mile car (mine has 2000 miles now) but anything higher the worn metal will cause ring wear, bearing wear crank journal wear etc...
Hi Jamie. The original bulletin gave head replacement as an option. Could you ask the TSB number so I can acquire a copy.

At some point PAG will stop replacing engine one assumes from a cost perspective. The G engine has a revised cylinder head design according to PET one imagines to re design the oiling lines here. Perhaps they will send out head replacements with this change and load a new software to increase the oil pressure a bit. This way the customer gets cans, rockers, springs, valves and new oiling galleries.

Max you are so close now to winning anew engine you should attend the Big COTA track day end of April and see if you can get her to pop! I say this tongue in cheek but actually if it were me I may do that to speed things along.

On G engine updates I had oil replaced at 6000 km and 4 track days. The engine now has 6800km and 6 track days from the last month since it was replaced but the car is now in storage for 6 months while I'm overseas. Oil consumption actually decreased after the oil and filter change. It had 5 green bars when it was given back to me and after 2 full day and hot track days it's dropped only one bar but looks like it's about to drop another second one. At this rate I could probably run another 2 track days before it would reach the yellow bars and give the warning. 500ml over four full day and flat out SportAuto track days isn't bad, about 125ml a day and not much more than my 7000rpm 993 engine burns on track. For road driving the oil use is not measurable.

The car still does not blow any smoke and the amount if soot on the rear bumper is somewhat reduced from with the E engine. The new engine is feeling strong and pulls well.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:31 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^^Macca is Max's motor an E too ?
Old 04-02-2016, 08:34 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
^^Max is your car a 14 or 15 ?
It's 14.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:38 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca

Max you are so close now to winning anew engine you should attend the Big COTA track day end of April and see if you can get her to pop! I say this tongue in cheek but actually if it were me I may do that to speed things along.
I'd rather have it pop close to home than several thousand miles away. Few things can be worth than booking a 3-day event, hauling the car there, and having it go kaboom in day 1.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:04 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Was at my local dealership (Larson in Tacoma, WA) they said there is a new bulletin to replace the heads on 991 GT3's with misfires that cannot be cured with coils/sparks...

I'd be OK with this on a low mile car (mine has 2000 miles now) but anything higher the worn metal will cause ring wear, bearing wear crank journal wear etc...
If this is the same bulletin that has been out there, they tried doing this with mine but saw the scaring and replaced the motor. It took 52 days total but I got my car back and so far so good...compensation is minimal but at least something, never seen a manufacturer give any compensation besides a loaner
Old 04-02-2016, 09:05 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

My 2014 GT3 was CPO'd by Park Place when I bought it used late last year...

Unless something changed they can CPO...
I was told 3 times that they can't cpo a gt3 but maybe my rep didn't know better or just used that as an excuse not to cpo it?
Old 04-02-2016, 10:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by carz80am
I was told 3 times that they can't cpo a gt3 but maybe my rep didn't know better or just used that as an excuse not to cpo it?
I think people are getting CPO confused with 3rd party extended warranties.

As I understand it, CPO = Certified Pre-Owned and is the warranty that Porsche offers on used vehicles. CPO is not available on new cars, nor is it available as an extended warranty on a car you already own. I just went through this with my dealer and the only way they would sell me a CPO warranty was if they purchased my car and then sold it back to me. They were willing to do this for $1 but the taxes on the exchange would have made it a bad deal. The extended warranty your dealer will sell you on a new car is a 3rd party warranty from a warranty company.

Depending on which 3rd party extended warranty company your dealer is affiliated with you may or may not be able to get an extended warranty on your new GT3 when you buy it. My dealer's warranty company didn't cover GT3's so I couldn't get an extended warranty at the time of purchase. Other RL members have purchased from dealers whose 3rd party companies DID cover the GT3. I recently went to one of those dealers and bought a 3rd party extended warranty for my 2014 GT3. You can also go to a 3rd party warranty company and purchase directly from them. Again, these are 3rd party warranties and not CPO which is only available on used vehicles purchased from Porsche.

To further complicate the issue, ROW customers are able to buy extended year by year warranties directly from Porsche, but AFAIK this option isn't available in the US.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-03-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:51 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,048 Likes on 540 Posts

I'm debating doing the same as you Jimmy except mine would be swapping a 15.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?