Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 07:59 PM
ablee2323
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My own view - for other 2014 owners is to drive, drive and drive. I would not opt to get better oil or ECU flashes as it may only delay what may be the inevitable.

We're all blessed to be so concerned about this thread topic and worried about a future event that has yet to occur. That said, it is a burden on our minds knowing what we know.

With this thread and forum, I am encouraged we will guide Porsche to do the right thing. I am a loyal Porsche fan. I love that they came up with the 991 GT3. I love that they pushed the engine to 9000. I love all aspects of this car. As they say in their logo "Limits Pushed." And so with that, some issues will arise - after all, we are at the outer edge of automotive performance.

Given my state of affairs, I contemplated what I might get as a replacement for the 991 GT3. Huracan? 458/430? McLaren? Didn't take long for me to realize, it is the 991 GT3. Now that my car has been at the center for 2 weeks, I miss this car more than ever.

Will keep you all posted on my developments. My favorite letter is now "G" baby.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:57 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I guess if I wasn't on this forum, I wouldn't know any better and would be out enjoying the heck out of the car.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:46 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,121 Likes on 5,269 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
So how can we owners feel comfortable knowing this is not just some poor manufactured part but rather a poor engineered design. This would only tell me that all engines will eventually fail. Am I right in my thinking? Please say no.
All mechanical things, engines being no exception, will fail.

It's the nature of mechanical things.

It's just a matter of when, and how.

Until it happens, why worry about it?

It's a bit akin to knowing that we are all going to die at some point. And it's just a matter of when and how. Yet, life would be rather not worth living if one spent every living moment worrying about dying.

Same here.

Go drive. Be happy.

Life is short. Enjoy it.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:40 PM
Backroads
Advanced

Maybe--I don't know about you. I don't want to die prematurely and I don't want my GT3 engine to die prematurely if it doesn't need to.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,121 Likes on 5,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Backroads
Maybe--I don't know about you. I don't want to die prematurely and I don't want my GT3 engine to die prematurely if it doesn't need to.
Of course not. And neither do I.

But worrying about it isn't necessarily going to prevent premature death.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:49 PM
Backroads
Advanced

Agreed.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:26 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
So how can we owners feel comfortable knowing this is not just some poor manufactured part but rather a poor engineered design. This would only tell me that all engines will eventually fail. Am I right in my thinking? Please say no.
I think this thread is
technically interesting

but I am absolutely
not worried at all

Any engine you have E F G RS i would anyways extend
year by year the warranty until 13th year
either if they give me for free and H engine

same if I would own a 650S 458 etc.

warranty extension on sport cars is a no brainer
either if manufacters design flaws are covered without it

Last edited by fxz; 03-26-2016 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ablee2323
An update on my 991 GT3 “e” engine. As a refresher, I am the first/only owner of a 2014 model with the replacement e engine. I do around 3 to 4 track days per year. I had 20k km on the clock when about two weeks ago (Mar 12), I took it to our first Porsche club track event. On the first lap, I got the engine light (posted earlier on this thread) that read “reduced engine performance, possible to drive on.”

After I pitted, I went out again and at around 7,300 rpm per the diagnostic computer, cylinder 3 misfired and caused the engine light to go on again. The car went to the dealer center. After 13 days, I went to the dealer center to see first hand the situation with my engine.

Macca, your comments here would be helpful.

First, a pic of the 991 engine. A sight to behold in all other circumstances.

Second, a couple of pics of the rocker arms for cylinder 1, 2 and 3. You can see the third rocker arm, there is significant scoring.

Third, a pic of just the rocker arms for cylinder 3 – although I don’t know what I’m really looking at, it doesn’t look good

Fourth, a pic of one of the rockers for cylinder 3 from a lateral point of view. If you enlarge the pic, you can see that the top of the rocker has flattened out due to the wear. Not sure where all this metal goes

Fifth, a pic of the other set of rockers for cylinders 4, 5 and 6. Not looking that great either. But again, my view.

I want to share all that I can to help everyone including myself on this forum. For sure, I was educating the mechanics there on the potential design flaw of the e engine - and I am not that technical. All my knowledge comes from you guys. Next steps, they will report to PAG. Then see what happens. For me, it is e engine or bust. Any suggestions and what I should do? Will keep you posted
Hi Mate. Apologies for my delay in responding here. I was on the way to a track day when I saw your post....

You have 20K km with 3-4 track days pa so for an E engine I would have said you'd done pretty well. Above average according to my stats. Then I saw the state of your finger rockers and cam lobes. Heck, Im surprised the computer didn't throw a code sooner! The finger rockers are very worn and the Cam lobes quote scored. The other local E engine failure here in NZ was equally as worn. That car had 16,000km but twice the track miles as your own.

What is a big surprise for me is that this is Cylinder 3 LH bank. That it is Cylinder 3 on this bank is not the surprise as the rearward most cylinders seem to be affected consistently (oiling?) but rather that its the first notes occurrence of the issue causing a check fault on the LHS bank before the RHS bank. I suspected that both banks exhibited wear but this occurrence seems to cement that fact.

I believe you will without any doubt receive a G engine replacement very soon.

Clearly there is an issue here related to the valve train design and oiling is but one component of this.

I do agree with other posters that its not unreasonable to expect wear in a 9000 rpm engine of this design, however like them I concur these engines should give 100 hard track hours before they exhibit such wear that would be expected to be reasonable (i.e. in need of replacement of top end valve train associated components such as lifters and rockers and possibly even cams in some circumstances).

Please keep us informed of your progress here and I will add you senario to the database. As Ive stated before i do not believe its a matter of if rather than when (for E and even F series engines). Right now the situation with G series engines is unknown. By November my G series engine will have done equal track time and road mileage as my previous E engine so perhaps I can tell you then. In the meantime I have moved to a more frequent oil change regime (3500 miles/4 track days). I do not believe that break in procedure has any real affects to the outcome here although in some circumstances it may simply delay the onset of the symptoms by a few thousand Km....

All IMO of course.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:05 AM
ablee2323
Advanced

Macca,

As always, thanks for your perspective. Feeling better - more confident that the outcome will be G engine.

Will keep everyone posted.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:55 AM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Only 7.5 weeks later and my new engine has arrived at the dealership. Now they need to make sure it hasn't been damaged during the shipping process...
Old 03-28-2016, 11:22 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by carz80am
Only 7.5 weeks later and my new engine has arrived at the dealership. Now they need to make sure it hasn't been damaged during the shipping process...
I am sure it will be fine. Don't lose faith! These are amazing cars.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:14 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by carz80am
Ouch, 7.5 weeks!
Old 03-28-2016, 06:53 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Ouch, 7.5 weeks!
Tell me about it, I hope it gets back to me by the end of the week..
Old 03-28-2016, 06:54 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh man......7.5 weeks. That sucks. Can't believe Porsche thinks that is OK. It will be 9 weeks by the time you get your car back in your garage. Seems a little ridiculous
Old 03-28-2016, 07:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Oh man......7.5 weeks. That sucks. Can't believe Porsche thinks that is OK. It will be 9 weeks by the time you get your car back in your garage. Seems a little ridiculous
Demand compensation I say....

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?