Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 08:17 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^^Ditto to Robmypro

I intentionally had my dealer do the SW install the week following taking delivery on the weekend ,

I figure if dealer installs without telling me of any comprise of warranty coverage ,good to go .
Old 04-25-2016, 08:36 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Banango
Drive it and hope for covered failure during warranty, or plan to trade it for a .2, or otherwise rid yourself of it for a preferred car if you have one - within warranty. These are the only realistic options I see.

The more I drive and learn the thing, the smaller my list of preferred cars becomes. The CPO is therefore looking a good deal right now and I am enjoying the mileage and hoping the promise of a .2 allocation is genuine. I am having a very hard time not making it a DD.

Incidentally, the Smokies meet simply made the situation worse. We both got a better sense of what the car is by driving it and watching others do the same. We just don't want to pay for a new engine before it's got decently high mileage on it!

Spending the day with some friends who have a host of delectable cars - a stable of 18, primarily Italians with the horse logo, including some specials. Not one I would actually trade for the GT3 from a driving perspective. Fancy that.
I hear you. Just took her out this past weekend for the first time since hibernation and I forgot how much I enjoyed it. It was a blast. I'II just go day to day with it and if something happens, so be it. Also put my name down on the next .2 GT3, just in case.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:51 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Banango
Spending the day with some friends who have a host of delectable cars - a stable of 18, primarily Italians with the horse logo, including some specials. Not one I would actually trade for the GT3 from a driving perspective. Fancy that.
I hear you. This 991 GT3 is literally it for me. I just don't find any other car out there capturing my interest like this one. So special. But the engine issue is on my mind a bit. Going to do my first oil change in about a week, and going to send samples to Blackstone to see how things look. Also planning to take it to the drags next month, to see how it does.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:01 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't feel Porsche would try to deny warranty but was a little surprised they want a picture. Right now I'm more concerned with which way they will go with my car. After just the little I have learn from here it, I will feel better with the G motor. I know we don't know how will hold up but seems more promising then heads/programming oil pump.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:08 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by meaker
I didn't feel Porsche would try to deny warranty but was a little surprised they want a picture. Right now I'm more concerned with which way they will go with my car. After just the little I have learn from here it, I will feel better with the G motor. I know we don't know how will hold up but seems more promising then heads/programming oil pump.
Yeah, we have no idea if the G engine even solves the problem. Over the next 6 months we may get more F engine failures, as they get more track miles on them. Who knows. In a year the G engines might have issues, too. Or, we find out new heads on the E/F engines solve the problems.

We will know more in the next 6 months to a year. But still a small sample size. Hard to draw concrete conclusions.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MORichards
I had a Sharkwerks bypass fitted to my E engine when it was replaced with an F engine. Porsche asked about the details of the bypass but did not raise it as an issue at all.
Originally Posted by Macca
Mine was the same when I brought the car in to be changed from E to G. Theres enough evidence on these pages to ensure PAG can never back out from the fact this is a "design fault" with the engine. I doubt they would ever consider rejecting a warranty claim for any bolt on parts IMO....
Originally Posted by robmypro
Chris, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I honestly don't think Porsche is the kind of company that tries to weasel out of legit warranty claims. Heck, My SharkWerks exhaust was installed by the dealer prior to delivery when new. So these are very common.
You guys are probably right and Chris has nothing to worry about....I'm just taking no chances out of an over abundance of caution. That and the fact that I'm perfectly happy with the sound of the stock exhaust which, BTW, is borderline for passing decibel regulations at our AX site as it is.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:22 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,048 Likes on 540 Posts

Maybe it's market research and they want to give us what we want.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:22 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 235 Posts

Chris

Good luck, I hope everything goes well no matter what they try to do.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:45 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Maybe it's market research and they want to give us what we want.
Now that made me laugh out loud.
Originally Posted by mwar99
Chris

Good luck, I hope everything goes well no matter what they try to do.
Thanks Mike
Old 04-26-2016, 05:22 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Update. Porsche rep looked at the car and wants to do the head, cams, rockers. I told my concerns with if this was a fix to the heart of the problem. Waiting to hear back
Old 04-26-2016, 05:32 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Update. Porsche rep looked at the car and wants to do the head, cams, rockers. I told my concerns with if this was a fix to the heart of the problem. Waiting to hear back
Thanks for the update, Chris.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:08 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you presented your case, but be sure to lay out all we know about the G motor. Those changes were made for a reason.

Would Chris be the first we know of to get Heads, Cams, Rockers instead of a new motor?

If mine gives up I plan to push hard for a G motor.

Ryan
Old 04-26-2016, 08:12 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Sounds like you presented your case, but be sure to lay out all we know about the G motor. Those changes were made for a reason.

Would Chris be the first we know of to get Heads, Cams, Rockers instead of a new motor?

Ryan
^^^This.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:43 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by reidry

Ryan
I told them what I know about the G motor and that Porsche did these changes for a reason.
I believe others have had parts replaced. If I'm correct Rm21 had just parts replaced on his 15.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:49 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I told them what I know about the G motor and that Porsche did these changes for a reason.
I believe others have had parts replaced. If I'm correct Rm21 had just parts replaced on his 15.
So how is PAG deciding between engine and parts. Tony, Macca and others have received a new motor.

Ryan

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?