Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016 | 01:44 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Let s stay on topic. I just want to know how many 15-16 GT3s affected. These threads get so long from tangents and bickering they become difficult to follow.
Old 07-20-2016 | 02:10 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

You Lads are brave to belief, that Porsche will honor engine replacement outside of warranty. Fk, every time i take my my car i'm waiting for the "i'm sorry" call.
I'm willing to hedge that Porsche will leave out owners cold outside of warranty. Whom is willing to take my offer ?
Old 07-20-2016 | 02:44 AM
armbar
Instructor

I hope Macca is right on this as I am invested (2015 "F"). One of the things that may be pointing in the wrong direction regarding extended warrantee is that not everyone has been treated exactly the same with regard to engine replacement vs top end work. If they intend to support these engines for a while beyond normal time frames I would expect consistant applications of remedies.
Old 07-20-2016 | 03:32 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

so.....has anyone sent certified mail to PCNA to inquire as to how this will be handled after warranty? I am sure that there is someone willing to take this on contingency given the number of the claims in this thread alone. None of the guys I run with at TWS are on rennlist, and several have had engine failures.
Old 07-20-2016 | 12:35 PM
levd
Pro

I've have an impression my engine consumes less oil after rebuilt.

For 2800 track km before rebuild it consumed 9 liters of oil.

After rebuild I've been on track 3 times with 320 track km combined and oil level only shows a drop from 3 to 1, which means half a liter. It's basically 2 times less oil.

I'll see what time will show, maybe it's too early. But it seems to be this way.
Old 07-20-2016 | 05:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by levd
I've have an impression my engine consumes less oil after rebuilt. For 2800 track km before rebuild it consumed 9 liters of oil. After rebuild I've been on track 3 times with 320 track km combined and oil level only shows a drop from 3 to 1, which means half a liter. It's basically 2 times less oil. I'll see what time will show, maybe it's too early. But it seems to be this way.
That's consistent with my findings. Each bar is 150ml approx. in 6 track days (1300km) and 5500km road miles on the new engine I have used only 1x 1L bottle of oil. With the old engine this would have been almost 2L...
Old 07-20-2016 | 06:48 PM
bruce987
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
That's consistent with my findings. Each bar is 150ml approx. in 6 track days (1300km) and 5500km road miles on the new engine I have used only 1x 1L bottle of oil. With the old engine this would have been almost 2L...
My "F" motor always smoked on startup. I never worried much, just figured that's way this flat 6 is. My other Porsche's also smoked, but only rarely. After my "F" motor was replaced with the "G"... I have yet to see it smoke, I have about 1000 miles on her now. Oil is holding steady.
Old 07-21-2016 | 03:42 AM
levd
Pro

I also see no startup smoke after rebuild so far. Several days is not much though. I'll see in some weeks if it really does not smoke any more.
Old 07-21-2016 | 10:24 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

My E smoked a lot and often. No smoke on the G yet. I miss it
Old 07-22-2016 | 12:13 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I will double check with him this week but the crate that the engine came in definitely had a serial number containing EX and this is what he pointed out to me.

I suspect that problem cannot all be seated home to driving style otherwise Porsche would not be as willing to swap engines so readily.
Took me awhile to get back to garage to ask the mechanic. Sadly not in the circumstances I would have liked to have been there. He confirmed that the engine being replaced was a G. I asked him twice. He said Yes, twice.

I was at the garage because during the Masters at Spa on Monday, at approx 200kph in 5th thru Blanchimont, the engine suddenly dropped power and went into Reduced Power mode. I went straight back into the Pits where the Porsche technicians hooked up their laptop and said it was a problem with the coil on cyclinder 6. They reset the fault and told me I could go back out but that it could re-occur. Sure enough, the fault happened again pretty much at the same point on the track. Back to the pits again where the technicians reset the fault, but this time I parked the car so I could at least get home and hired an RS to complete the course which made for an interesting back to back comparison that I will cover off in another post.

On the way home on Tuesday evening, the fault happened again at around 140kph on the autoroute. Took the car into the garage the next morning.

Today the technician called me to confirm that it was potentially a problem with the coil on cyclinder 6....BUT.....it could also be a problem with the rocker arms which would require an engine replacement. The only way they could be sure would to first replace the coil and spark plug and then do some tests. If the problem reoccurs, I am likely up for an engine replacement.
Old 07-22-2016 | 12:21 PM
levd
Pro

No need to replace the coil with a new one yet. The protocol is swapping affected coil with another cylinder coil. Then see if misfire will happen again with the same coil or the same cylinder.
Old 07-22-2016 | 12:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Sorry to read Chris, so what is the comparison with RS
Old 07-22-2016 | 12:55 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Not way you'd like to spend a weekend. Hopefully it's just a bad coil.
Old 07-22-2016 | 02:54 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Solution in sight

Hi Guys,

We've been working on this in the background for a while now. We've partnered with Performance Developments. Been consulting and having parts finishing up design as I type this. I know you'll have many questions and we can't share much right now. But just know that your car after the warranty period will not be junk and you won't be cursed with purchasing new engines to keep it alive.

The issue that has caused component failures in the new 991 GT3 engines requiring some engines to be replaced and others to have just Cylinder heads replaced has sparked a fear and concerned amongst the owners that seems to grow each day. This is to inform you that we know the root cause, have a solution designed and the parts in production.
The resulting damage is due to a lack of lubrication. We know the cause and the solution is to regain the oil film lost in the present design. Coatings are used to reduce friction but it is expected that an oil film would be present at sometime during the rotation of the camshaft. Unfortunately it isn’t resulting in the damage.
The action of the Camshaft lobe when in contact with the finger is a high contact stress type, or sliding contact. This is where the coatings used come into play. They help lower the contact friction and wear. This stress contact is moving across the face of the finger and not localized in one spot. However coatings cannot solve the root cause of the problem. An oil film is still required in the cycle.
Changes to Oil pressure and coatings may prolong the inevitable but this is a case of when not if. Factor in the warranty period and now you have a real dilemma for the car owner. Should I wait, should I go with the OEM and will the OEM honor the fault after my warranty is expired. Only the OEM can answer those questions. In the meantime we will have a “fix” very soon for those that do not wish to wait and hope that the OEM will take care of the problem.
Many will ask, “what is this root cause, why should I believe you”?
We know the cause and we have a solution. It will be made known when we have the replacement parts available. In the meantime, we do not wish to give our competitors a free lunch. It makes no difference now if it’s known or not as the parts are not yet available. We do not want to add to the fear but to inform you we have a mechanical solution. It was hoped that the OE would do this but it appears from what has being done to date, the root cause was not addressed and a “band aid” was provided.

Remember, this is a “when not if” problem.
Old 07-22-2016 | 03:00 PM
levd
Pro

So new upper part installation, done with some engines is a temporary aid, not a real fix?

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?