Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 05:25 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And----there has been failure from those NOT driven on the track. This may be the first real sign that PAG has become Audi. They are more about selling SUVs than the enthusiast cars.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Omi
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Some good news.

Wrote a very detailed letter to my Porsche dealer today detailing my case, the fact that it was a known problem, that I was not given advance notice that I may have to pay, how much money I had spent on PCars in the last 18 months, highlight the track warranty conditions in the booklet that I had complied with, etc....and that if they did not positively resolve the situation I would marshal social media globally via Porsche forums.

I sent the email to my dealer at 1pm. My dealer forwarded it to PAG at around 2pm. Then at 5:30pm I got an email from my dealer saying that PAG had agreed to do the work under warranty.

Faith restored, if a little tarnished.
Good to hear.

Originally Posted by Omi
In the near term and given the company's apparent objectives, Porsche’s current approach is all that’s needed and it may even benefit Porsche. They may see an increase in warranty claims but they have the option to fight those or at least draw them out on a case by case basis. Additionally, once the cars are out of warranty they will either sell more parts or sell more cars.
Some agreed with this and some did not, but this is exactly how it is playing out and I am more confident now than before that Porsche will take this least cost approach as previously described. Chris was probably not the first in this situation and will undoubtedly not be the last.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:36 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Great news Chris.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:42 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Chris!
Old 09-01-2016, 05:51 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Some good news.

Wrote a very detailed letter to my Porsche dealer today detailing my case, the fact that it was a known problem, that I was not given advance notice that I may have to pay, how much money I had spent on PCars in the last 18 months, highlight the track warranty conditions in the booklet that I had complied with, etc....and that if they did not positively resolve the situation I would marshal social media globally via Porsche forums.

I sent the email to my dealer at 1pm. My dealer forwarded it to PAG at around 2pm. Then at 5:30pm I got an email from my dealer saying that PAG had agreed to do the work under warranty.

Faith restored, if a little tarnished.
Now THAT'S what I am talking about! Congrats Chris!
Old 09-01-2016, 05:53 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I know I sound like a Porsche apologist, but I want to wait and see how this plays out. I am concerned that PAG isn't just fixing the issue, but maybe they just need a little push. Fingers crossed for Chris!
I love being right. Especially when being wrong would completely blow.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great outcome Chris. I think they must have had a brain fart. The whole decision to charge you was wrong on so many levels. Glad it is resolved now. You currently have the same equivalent engine as installed in the 911R and July on 991 RS. Go out there and thrash it mercilessly for us to ensure its up to teh task. We are after all, all PAG GT program prototype test engineers LOL :-)
Old 09-01-2016, 06:16 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Great news, enjoy the new updated engine!
Old 09-01-2016, 06:31 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Great to hear... I'm in the brain fart camp or at least 'they'll require a little push" and then go ahead with it. Not everyone is on rennslist so maybe they feel they can get a couple people to actually pay for this?? Not that that's a positive approach from PAG but wouldn't put it past them.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,084 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Great outcome Chris. I think they must have had a brain fart. The whole decision to charge you was wrong on so many levels. Glad it is resolved now. You currently have the same equivalent engine as installed in the 911R and July on 991 RS. Go out there and thrash it mercilessly for us to ensure its up to teh task. We are after all, all PAG GT program prototype test engineers LOL :-)
I have a track day scheduled at Spa on September 19th. The dealer has already put 500 kms on the new engine, changed the oil, etc. They advised me to drive normally for another 500kms before giving it the full beans.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:36 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,084 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Great to hear... I'm in the brain fart camp or at least 'they'll require a little push" and then go ahead with it. Not everyone is on rennslist so maybe they feel they can get a couple people to actually pay for this?? Not that that's a positive approach from PAG but wouldn't put it past them.
I think I agree because if I had have been one of those people that just said ok and rolled over, I would be 30,000 euro out of pocket.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
...This may be the first real sign that PAG has become Audi....
They have been for years-both legally and culturally-it's still a Porsche/Pieech company.

And I'm allowed to say this-I own 2 Porsche's and 2 Audi's, both modded-and both out of warranty..........
Old 09-01-2016, 07:23 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Really interesting that Porsche would back away from its track warranty for GT cars, just as much of the competition has been broadening their warranties to include track use (GT350, Camaro Z28, Corvette, Viper, etc.).

Maybe it will return with low-revving turbocharged GT cars???
I would really like to collect the photos of that page in the booklet clearly labeled by country and model year of the car it came with.

So this is 2014 German and 2015 US, respectively? But if I understand that correctly the first one is the Gt specific "track driving" booklet and the other one is a Porsche generic warranty booklet, right?

Old 09-01-2016, 07:39 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Omi
In the case of the GT-R, most do not have GPS limiters. That was a feature on Japanese market cars. All GT-Rs have "black boxes". When a fault is triggered (CEL or otherwise) a data snapshot is captured. Additionally, the black box has a recording of driving data. The combination of this data can then be used to identify issues and verify circumstances in warranty claims. For example, if the black box sees a modification to the ECU and sustained 30 psi from the turbos before a failure, coverage is likely to be denied, regardless of whether or not the customer returned it to stock before bringing it into the dealership.

Either way, ethics aside, misrepresenting the circumstances of failures is not going to be an effective solution.
It is a bit more complicated. From 2015 on all cars newly registered in the US must have a black box useful for accident reconstruction, named EDR ("event data recorder").
http://standards.sae.org/j1698/2_201301/
Download pdf and more links:
https://www.google.com/search?q=saej...hrome&ie=UTF-8

The standard does not specify how this is implemented. Obviously there is nothing that keeps the manufacturer from also storing this information when the CE light goes on, as long as they also keep the on-crash functionality.

I read somewhere that GPS is supposed to be in there if the car has it, but I can't see that right now. Again, nothing keeps the manufacturer from putting in whatever they like in addition to the required elements.

The reason why you don't hear about this often is that it is kept a bit under the covers. U.S. police very rarely request this data for random accidents (because police officers are the most enthusiastic speeders both on and off duty, not to mention U.S. police generally doesn't like to do accident reconstruction in the first place) and if they do request it then they just throw it in as "excessive speed appears to be a cause" pretending it came out of tire marks or whatever.

I am sure that Porsche knows where your car was when the CEL came on, in the models with GPS as standard at least.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:48 PM
C6 ZED
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
I would really like to collect the photos of that page in the booklet clearly labeled by country and model year of the car it came with.

So this is 2014 German and 2015 US, respectively? But if I understand that correctly the first one is the Gt specific "track driving" booklet and the other one is a Porsche generic warranty booklet, right?
Squid42
Correct for both but as noted in other posts above it appears that the warranty reference in the GT3 specific track booklets (and in the GT3 & GT3RS booklet) changed in later editions of the booklets to remove the warranty reference. <3mph's GT3 booklet WKD 991 17 21 15 dated 04/14 has the warranty reference as does Macca's booklet but my GT3 booklet WKD 991 19 21 15 dated 10/14 does not mention warranty. It appears that PAG's legal folks decided to remove this implied warranty.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?