Sponsored by:

RECALL on 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
I just picked up my NEW (oct build) 16 GT3 today. Drove 45 miles and car went into some kind of limp mode. No indication on dash of any warning message and all running parameters were good. Car would stumble starting out and would only accelerate slowly in 1st and 2nd. In third it would start to pull better. What do you guy's think?

Going back to Dealer Monday AM. Hope it's a simple fix. Allan
Possibly the plug issue. Im sure it will be an easy fix. Rest easy.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:29 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Allan, I thought you were getting an RS? When did you decide on a 16 GT3? Did you sell your Mexico Blue?
Old 12-12-2015, 09:39 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Life can be confusing: Got RS in August, became to valuable to track so I decided to let it go. Sold the Blue GT3 in July and was sorry I did. Actually liked it better than the RS. So, bought a new GT3 today. Love it but, will have to get problem corrected to enjoy it. First World problems. Best, Allan
Old 12-12-2015, 09:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Life can be confusing: Got RS in August, became to valuable to track so I decided to let it go. Sold the Blue GT3 in July and was sorry I did. Actually liked it better than the RS. So, bought a new GT3 today. Love it but, will have to get problem corrected to enjoy it. First World problems. Best, Allan
Great work Allan. Its definitely the sweet spot given the crazy prices in the US for RS. I suspect as a result your GT3 is now heavily subsidized for you to enjoy without worry and lets face it that's a great place to be :-)
Old 12-12-2015, 09:55 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You were fortunate enough to source an RS. Sounds like you decided to flip the RS at a substantial premium. If I'm correct you are no better than the dealers. If I'm wrong and you resold at MSRP, my apologies. It's all just a vicious cycle with this RS, so happy with the GT3.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:24 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What colour is your 16 GT3? Just to let you know, your Mexico Blue avatar pic has been my favourite pic from day one.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:49 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
You were fortunate enough to source an RS. Sounds like you decided to flip the RS at a substantial premium. If I'm correct you are no better than the dealers. If I'm wrong and you resold at MSRP, my apologies. It's all just a vicious cycle with this RS, so happy with the GT3.
If you had an RS, and had constant offers over msrp, and had learned that bending a fender would cost you 14000... What would you do?. Allan is a track guy. I see him there all the time. The sad state of affairs is the that RS is ironically too risky to track.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,024 Likes on 5,240 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I agree, Nick. Also, to date I've received no communication from Porsche or my dealership with regard to a change in the warranty requirements. When I contacted my dealer about whether my car qualified for the recall they said it didn't and despite having the perfect opportunity to do so, nothing was said about a change in the interval for plug changes on my 2014.

Has anyone been informed by their US dealer or Porsche that the warranty interval on plugs has actually changed from 24 months to 12?
Mike,

I just had this recall preformed, and they provided new "sticker" pages to insert in our maintenance/warranty booklet.

I will post pics of it later when I'm back home.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:58 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
If you had an RS, and had constant offers over msrp, and had learned that bending a fender would cost you 14000... What would you do?. Allan is a track guy. I see him there all the time. The sad state of affairs is the that RS is ironically too risky to track.
Track guy or not, he is no better than a dealer scalping buyers. So much bitching on this forum how dealers charging premiums to the moon, but a buyer sells it "used" weeks later and it's cool. I believe RS buyers are savy enough to know what they are getting into by purchasing a 200k Msrp car to track. What would I do ? If I was fortunate enough to procure an RS, keep it many years. Again my point is if the forum going to bash the "greedy" dealers then you might want to look at the flippers too.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:24 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Mike,

I just had this recall preformed, and they provided new "sticker" pages to insert in our maintenance/warranty booklet.

Dare to share some details , is the plug change now an annual 12 month interval ?

Or is it every 12k miles ?

Was your car one of the 334 on PCNA recall list ? How where you notified that your car was included in this recall issue?

Thanks for any light you can shed here!!
Old 12-12-2015, 11:28 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

Track guy or not, he is no better than a dealer scalping buyers. So much bitching on this forum how dealers charging premiums to the moon, but a buyer sells it "used" weeks later and it's cool. I believe RS buyers are savy enough to know what they are getting into by purchasing a 200k Msrp car to track. What would I do ? If I was fortunate enough to procure an RS, keep it many years. Again my point is if the forum going to bash the "greedy" dealers then you might want to look at the flippers too.
The astronomical costs of just a minor mistake at the track were a recent revelation. Hood, 2 fenders and a bumper is over 50k! This was news to all of us and many who track their RS started second guessing themselves
Old 12-12-2015, 11:53 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-13-2015, 12:04 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Mike,

Thanks, ipse. Obviously your recall was done under warranty, but that begs the question that doubleurx (Nick) posed earlier. I was sold a 2014 with a stated 2 year interval on plug replacement. Now, after only 18 months, that's been changed mid-stream, apparently because Porsche has discovered that there will otherwise be problems, although my car doesn't qualify for the recall. So should I be on the hook for the early service which I understand costs several hundred dollars? I guess a call to my dealer, and perhaps PCNA, is in order.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:09 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,024 Likes on 5,240 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks, ipse. Obviously your recall was done under warranty, but that begs the question that doubleurx (Nick) posed earlier. I was sold a 2014 with a stated 2 year interval on plug replacement. Now, after only 18 months, that's been changed mid-stream, apparently because Porsche has discovered that there will otherwise be problems, although my car doesn't qualify for the recall. So should I be on the hook for the early service which I understand costs several hundred dollars? I guess a call to my dealer, and perhaps PCNA, is in order.
This is the service bulletin/campaign at issue, WF 38

This is the "sticker" page we are supposed to insert/replace in our maintenance/warranty booklet.
(the highlights in red are obviously mine).
Old 12-13-2015, 12:15 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

This is the service bulletin/campaign at issue, WF 38

This is the "sticker" page we are supposed to insert/replace in our maintenance/warranty booklet.
(the highlights in red are obviously mine).
Thanks. With regard to plug replacement on the GT3, the info on the new page is the same as the old: 12000 miles or 2 years. I guess I'm safe for another 6 months and all of the excitement is about nothing...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: RECALL on 991 GT3